Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: And the Distraction Returns- Colts v Jets...

Default And the Distraction Returns- Colts v Jets...

You know the football gods set this one up. The team the Colts laid down for and gave up their shot at an undefeated season, plus opened the door for the Jets even getting into the playoffs... is coming back to Indy with a ton of confidence.

It's not like they weren't hanging close with Indy before Indy laid down so that has to have given them a ton of confidence. And now that they've won out and scored 2 wins in the playoffs their confidence is only growing. So now Indy really needs to prove they can beat them... a team that if they would've played for the unbeaten season, might not even be in the playoffs.

Polian has karma... karma and the football gods.... to thank for this matchup...

Go Colts!
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Default Re: And the Distraction Returns- Colts v Jets...

Enjoy the ride... Go Colts!!!

I want the Colts to win of course, but boy would the Colts losing to the Jets teach Polian a lesson!

Nah, probably not, anybody that would give up on an undefeated season wouldn't learn a thing.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

All of those close games the Colts played will only help them here. I said all along that Ravens/Jets was the Colts easiest path to the SB and I still believe that.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

sweabs

On the other hand, this matchup could play in our favour. The starters have something to prove - and we know that our loss did not sit well with them. It could really work either way.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sweabs For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by sweabs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    On the other hand, this matchup could play in our favour. The starters have something to prove - and we know that our loss did not sit well with them. It could really work either way.
    Thats what I was thinking while watching the Jets game. I think we will come out angry and take care of business Sunday.

I'm sure SD thought they could handle the Jets too...

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Returns? Did it really leave? Sure there was a reprieve for beating the Ravens but the only way it was ever going to go away was if we win the SB.

Personally I see this being the ultimate epic fail for the Colts if Polian/Caldwell thought three weeks ago was bad how about an entire offseason and beyond....

Makes what the Chargers did today seem like nothing.

Okay, I was upset by the decision too, but this is making a whole lot out of very little. We've just been granted the easiest possible road to the SB. We are gonna whoop the Jets.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    Okay, I was upset by the decision too, but this is making a whole lot out of very little. We've just been granted the easiest possible road to the SB. We are gonna whoop the Jets.
    Are you certain of that. . . Chargers fans were too.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't understand how anyone could possibly think playing the starters an additional couple of quarters against the Jets a few weeks ago could have a big impact either way on the outcome of this game. I don't get it. Resting the starters appears to me to have zero real outcome on this game.

If nothing else, we're at somewhat of an advantage because we didn't show the Jets too much in this game and the amount of film they have against us in a direct matchup has been cut in half for this game.

There's nothing to show. They can figure everything out by film...we don't do anything new. We just do what we do, and we do it well. This is going to be a close game, but hopefully we win. I don't like the irony of losing to a team we let into the playoffs.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    There's nothing to show. They can figure everything out by film...we don't do anything new. We just do what we do, and we do it well. This is going to be a close game, but hopefully we win. I don't like the irony of losing to a team we let into the playoffs.
    There actually is a precedent here. In the 2004 season the Colts rested their starters and lost to the Broncos in week 17, allowing them to back into the playoffs in the process. The very next week the Broncos came back to RCA for the rematch. The result? 49-24 Colts.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    There actually is a precedent here. In the 2004 season the Colts rested their starters and lost to the Broncos in week 17, allowing them to back into the playoffs in the process. The very next week the Broncos came back to RCA for the rematch. The result? 49-24 Colts.

Slight difference?

1) That was for two consecutive weeks in a row its been 3 weeks since we played the Jets.

2) The Colts weren't undefeated and no national outcry.

Quote Originally Posted by sweabs View Post
    I expect the Jets to come in with a chip on their shoulder too. People are not giving them credit because the Colts laid down. I suspect they will want to prove...very badly...that they can beat the Colts starters. Considering they beat the Chargers, there's no question it could happen.

...and yes, if we lose to the Jets, Polian will never be able to live it down. It might be a lesson the football gods want to give to a very arrogant, yet brilliant man.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    Slight difference?

1) That was for two consecutive weeks in a row its been 3 weeks since we played the Jets.

2) The Colts weren't undefeated and no national outcry.
    No national outcry? You must not remember all the crap on ESPN about Baltimore missing the playoffs that year because of the Colts resting their starters against Denver. Or Ravens fans insisting the Colts did it on purpose as yet another F you to the city of Baltimore. There was PLENTY of outcry over that.
    Last edited by travmil; 01-17-2010 at 11:09 PM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

These Jets are better than those Broncos.

Of course, these Colts are better than those Colts.

This will be a similar game to this weekend, though it may be tougher to score this time around. Baltimore, for some reason, gives us reason to play well. But I am curious to see how our D plays. If it's like this week, we should do well. And the offense has to score, otherwise it'll be like this Chargers game, where they waited and waited to score, and then the Jets started beating them up.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If the Colts manage to lose this game, our fan base will explode, as will our city.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Legendary For This Useful Post:

I remember a 9-3 game at halftime, and a 15-10 game when the starters were benched in the 3rd quarter.

Not taking anything for granted this game. I'm just hoping I don't have to see Curtis Painter THIS game, b/c that means something went terribly wrong

IIRC the playoff matchup was already determined.... or maybe determined IF the Colts lost (and with the Colts laying down then it was a good as determined). There was no reason to win the game. No 'history' on the line. ...And the biggie: No reason to show a playoff opponent anything you might really like to do against them when you know they will be your first opponent.

As for any national outcry... I don't think anything local or national reached the levels of throwing away a perfect season. Plus, I doubt the Colts cared anyway. It didn't matter to them. And if Baltimore was a victim of the Indy loss... I still doubt the Colts cared. Baltimore should've thought about that while losing some game of their own that obviously mattered in the end.

This season, the players DID care about beating the Jets. They wanted a chance to go undefeated. It was not a done deal we'd face the Jets in the playoffs so some of the arguments about laying down for Denver aren't the same. The local fans certainly didn't care if the team beat Denver in a meaningless home game. History wasn't on the line for anyone. All different for the Jets.

The Jets played the Colts starters very close. And the Jets destroyed the Colt backups. And they have won out since then as well including beating SD at SD. They have a ton of confidence now.

The Giants gained a ton of confidence when they played the unbeaten Pats in the final regular season game and almost kept them from an unbeaten regular season. I think that played a major factor in them beating them at the SB. Once a team has confidence they can get something done, they find something a little deeper, listen a little harder to the coaches, stand just a little taller....

I agree the Colts should have a lot of motivation to beat them... to prove they could've done it in the regular season AND to advance to the SB.

But the Jets are going to have plenty of motivation too.

This whole thing just feels really odd...
    Last edited by Bball; 01-17-2010 at 11:55 PM.

------

-John Wooden

No national outcry? You must not remember all the crap on ESPN about Baltimore missing the playoffs that year because of the Colts resting their starters against Denver. Or Ravens fans insisting the Colts did it on purpose as yet another F you to the city of Baltimore. There was PLENTY of outcry over that.

Baltimore? I thought it was Jacksonville regardless of who it was you cannot compare that to the outcry of throwing away an UNDEFEATED season. The Colts weren't undefeated last year we lost the season opener to New England so there's no chance of that happening.

Sounds like another game where a lot of people will spend all week talking themselves into a Jets victory, and then Sunday they'll be reminded that the Colts are still the team that went 14-0 before they chose to stop trying to win, and the Jets are still the team that had to luck out on playing @IND when the Colts quit to even have a true shot at even being a playoff team.

28. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Sounds like another game where a lot of people will spend all week talking themselves into a Jets victory, and then Sunday they'll be reminded that the Colts are still the team that went 14-0 before they chose to stop trying to win, and the Jets are still the team that had to luck out on playing @IND when the Colts quit to even have a true shot at even being a playoff team.
    I could not have said it much better. Winning comment, right here.
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Exactly! At some point you get sick of the week-long panic session. If we lose, it'll be because we played poorly and made dumb mistakes. The Jets are good, but not that good.

We -should- win; we might not. Let's see what happens in a week.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

I'm really looking forward to this game.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!