Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 35

Thread: Fred Jones running the point?

  1. #1

    Default Re: Fred Jones running the point?

    sounds good to me

  2. #2

    Default Re: Fred Jones running the point?

    Well, I'm not hoping and I'm not saying it will happen, but if one of those players mentioned was to get hurt or play extremely poorly, then Fred could become very important. Ahem, sorta like Austin is. If someone goes down, he gets the minutes and becomes very important.

  3. #3
    Administrator Roaming Gnome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,935

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Fred Jones running the point?

    I would hate to say it, but Freddie's best position might be in a trade.

    He is not really going to get a sniff in at SG if Jackson/Miller are holding it down. I know Jack can move over to SF, but is that in the best interest of the team to move Jack over to a weaker position for him just so we can run a guy out there that has a questionable shooting touch. Also, Bender gets short changed in that deal for mins. I know that he is oft-injured but I would really like for him to have a year to put up, or shut up with no one in the way of his rotation.

    Maybe a combo of Fred Jones and some of our garbage can get something accomplished in our fight for a center.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

  4. #4
    Grumpy Old Man (PD host) able's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    8,699

    Default Re: Fred Jones running the point?

    I already said on the 11th when assesing the roster that Fred would most likely see time behind Jamaal, chances are we will pick up the option on Brewer, we might sign Wright, but it would surprise me, but Fred will see playing time at the point, he ran the point last year almost whenever he was in at the same time as AJ, AJ sorta moved over to SG and Fred brought up the ball, on defense they rotated again.

    Certainly when additional penetration and defense is needed this might be an option most likely.

    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

    If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!


  5. #5
    75Ranger
    Guest

    Default Re: Fred Jones running the point?

    If Freddie is going to get any type of minutes hes going to have to play pg. Personally I would start Steven Jackson since were paying him all that money and have Jones back him up. Reggie would become a situational player like a Dell Curry or Dale Ellis were late in there careers. When were flat and were in desperate need of some offense have him come off the bench to see if he can catch on fire. If he can't sit him right back on the bench.

  6. #6
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,932

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Fred Jones running the point?

    question: if Fred was the same player, but at 6'5" and not 6'2", would people even MENTION playing him at the point? Im serious.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  7. #7
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,932

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Fred Jones running the point?

    Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    question: if Fred was the same player, but at 6'5" and not 6'2", would people even MENTION playing him at the point? Im serious.
    Hmm, thats interesting.

    Frankly what I like about him most is how he can penetrate and break down the defense, but if he was taller and could do that, sure, I could see him running the 1.

    Now would knowledgeable people see him doing that, thats a whole nother question

    %90 of the 2guards in the NBA can break down a defense to some degree. But can they run an offense? Do they have court vision? Those arent things that you can slip on like a switch.

    Magic Johnson played the point beautifully at 6'9". Charles Barkley dominated the paint at 6'5". Allen Iverson was a mediocre PG but a top SG at barely 6 feet tall.

    To this day I still wonder why people insist on assigning positions based on height, reguardless of the most important thing, which is the skill set.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  8. #8
    75Ranger
    Guest

    Default Re: Fred Jones running the point?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    question: if Fred was the same player, but at 6'5" and not 6'2", would people even MENTION playing him at the point? Im serious.
    Nope, there would be no reason to even discuss him playing pg becausehe would probably be starting at SG this season or next and we wouldn't have been so determined to add a sg this year.

    However hes not 6'5 hes 6'2 and in my oppinion hes just not big enough to play that position besides his great vertical and body. I remember when he was drafted Walsh made comments about him being turned into a combo guard probably because of his hieght issue.He's a tweener.

    If he wants to get big minutes on this team hes going to have to learn how to be a combo guard. I think hes talented enough to learn that position in time. If Walsh/Carlisle have no plans on using him as a combo guard then he may very well become trade bait.

    [edit=402=1089860822][/edit]

  9. #9

    Default Re: Fred Jones running the point?

    Actually Fred is 6'4"....
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

  10. #10
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Fred Jones running the point?

    Freddy Jones has more point guard skills than Anthony Johnson.

    Who would you rather have on the floor?

    Is there anyone who'd rather have AJ on the floor than Freddy?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  11. #11
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Fred Jones running the point?

    Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Actually Fred is 6'4"....
    Do we have to do this again?

    http://www.nba.com/playerfile/fred_jones/index.html

    According to the Pacers, he's 6'2".
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  12. #12
    Member Ultimate Frisbee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Pasadena, CA
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,374

    Default Re: Fred Jones running the point?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section222
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Actually Fred is 6'4"....
    Do we have to do this again?

    http://www.nba.com/playerfile/fred_jones/index.html

    According to the Pacers, he's 6'2".
    There are different reported heights... one is probably with shoes and the other without or something...
    Here, everyone have a : on me

  13. #13
    RA231
    Guest

    Default Re: Fred Jones running the point?

    Quote Originally Posted by ILovethePacers
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section222
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Actually Fred is 6'4"....
    Do we have to do this again?

    http://www.nba.com/playerfile/fred_jones/index.html

    According to the Pacers, he's 6'2".
    There are different reported heights... one is probably with shoes and the other without or something...
    Yea probably, because this says hes 6-4. http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/roster?team=ind


  14. #14
    RA231
    Guest

    Default Re: Fred Jones running the point?

    Quote Originally Posted by ILovethePacers
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section222
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Actually Fred is 6'4"....
    Do we have to do this again?

    http://www.nba.com/playerfile/fred_jones/index.html

    According to the Pacers, he's 6'2".
    There are different reported heights... one is probably with shoes and the other without or something...
    Yea probably, because this says hes 6-4. http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/roster?team=ind


  15. #15
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,755

    Default Re: Fred Jones running the point?

    The officlal height of a player means nothing to
    me.

    Barkley ws 6'4" and a half and he was a great rebounder and low post player.

    So whether Freddie is 6'2" or 6'4" or 6'6", all I know is what I see him do on the court.

  16. #16
    Member Dukins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Brownsburg
    Posts
    911
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Fred Jones running the point?

    I dont think it is a ggod move for Freddie. Im sure he will do anything he can to earn time on the floor, but with AJ signing to 4 years where in the heck is freddie going to play. If Freddie can hold out one more year, hopefully he can gt Regg'es minutes.


    2006 WORLD CHAMPION INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

  17. #17

    Default Re: Fred Jones running the point?

    This thread is going all over the place but I have a couple of thoughts.

    Fred is not a PG. He could, however, play in some two guard sets and he can defend most PG's, which is nice. Plus the Pacers play a half court game most of the time.

    So I could see scenarios where he is the smallest guy out there, or even bringing the ball up and running the offense. It would be nice for him to practice there and even get some game time, but I don't think he has the feel for running the point.

    He is a little like Travis Best, in that he is a SG trapped in a PG's body. Both can/could defend and score, but Travis was miscast as a PG, because he also lacked a feel for it.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Fred Jones running the point?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section222
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Actually Fred is 6'4"....
    Do we have to do this again?

    http://www.nba.com/playerfile/fred_jones/index.html

    According to the Pacers, he's 6'2".
    If you want...

    http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/teamRos...tegoryId=71085

    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/roster?team=ind

    http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/ind/roster

    http://www.indystar.com/sports/pacers/

    And there is plenty more where that came from

    NBA.com is wrong.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Fred Jones running the point?

    One thing to keep is mind is that as others have mentioned, definitely next year he woudl be in the SG rotation, due to Reggie retiring after we win the title this year. I think he could play PG, but it isn't suited for him as much as SG is. I am not going to explain my alternative for this, since I'm likely to be told off a third time. But Fred will play more minutes this year. I am sure Carlisle will find a way.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

  20. #20
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Fred Jones running the point?

    Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section222
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Actually Fred is 6'4"....
    Do we have to do this again?

    http://www.nba.com/playerfile/fred_jones/index.html

    According to the Pacers, he's 6'2".
    If you want...

    http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/teamRos...tegoryId=71085

    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/roster?team=ind

    http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/ind/roster

    http://www.indystar.com/sports/pacers/

    And there is plenty more where that came from

    NBA.com is wrong.
    The official league/ team source is wrong, but all these unofficial, third-party sources are right?

    Uh... okay. Whatever you say.

    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  21. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,259

    Default Re: Fred Jones running the point?

    Well, fine, only let him play barefoot if he's playing the point.

  22. #22
    Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,409

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Fred Jones running the point?

    On the one hand, I'm kinda excited to see what Stephen Jackson can do for us... but on the other hand man it seems to ruin my boy Fred Jones' chances of being the starting SG on this team. I think Jones is 1-2 years away from being starter material, and I don't think he'll get the chance here with SJ here... but who knows... SJ could completely flop and in 2 years he could be coming off the bench behind Fred Jones. Wouldn't be the first time we had a big contract comin' off the bench... *ahem*Croshere*cough*.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

  23. #23

    Default Re: Fred Jones running the point?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section222
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section222
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Actually Fred is 6'4"....
    Do we have to do this again?

    http://www.nba.com/playerfile/fred_jones/index.html

    According to the Pacers, he's 6'2".
    If you want...

    http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/teamRos...tegoryId=71085

    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/roster?team=ind

    http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/ind/roster

    http://www.indystar.com/sports/pacers/

    And there is plenty more where that came from

    NBA.com is wrong.
    The official league/ team source is wrong, but all these unofficial, third-party sources are right?

    Uh... okay. Whatever you say.

    ALL these sources can't be wrong...

    And ESPN tends to get these things right

    But if you aren't convinced let me find some more...

    http://www.bdasports.com/news/fred_jones.html

    http://www.hoopshype.com/Library/teams/indiana.htm

    http://cbs.sportsline.com/nba/teams/page/IND

    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/bas...rs/pacers.html

    http://www.tickets-nba-basketball.co...rs/players.htm

    And there is a lot more where that came from

    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

  24. #24
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Fred Jones running the point?

    Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section222
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section222
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Actually Fred is 6'4"....
    Do we have to do this again?

    http://www.nba.com/playerfile/fred_jones/index.html

    According to the Pacers, he's 6'2".
    If you want...

    http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/teamRos...tegoryId=71085

    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/roster?team=ind

    http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/ind/roster

    http://www.indystar.com/sports/pacers/

    And there is plenty more where that came from

    NBA.com is wrong.
    The official league/ team source is wrong, but all these unofficial, third-party sources are right?

    Uh... okay. Whatever you say.

    ALL these sources can't be wrong...

    And ESPN tends to get these things right

    But if you aren't convinced let me find some more...

    http://www.bdasports.com/news/fred_jones.html

    http://www.hoopshype.com/Library/teams/indiana.htm

    http://cbs.sportsline.com/nba/teams/page/IND

    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/bas...rs/pacers.html

    http://www.tickets-nba-basketball.co...rs/players.htm

    And there is a lot more where that came from

    Its not the quantity. He's *officially* 6'2". The only way I'm going to change my mind is if the Pacers change the *official* measurement. I think it would be a good question for someone else to ask Conrad; however.

    ESPN's usually right? Now that's funny.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  25. #25
    ENABEABLER MagicRat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,822

    Default Re: Fred Jones running the point?

    Officially, he's 5'11", so he should definitely work on his PG skills......


    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •