View Poll Results: Which would you prefer?

Voters
101. You may not vote on this poll
  • Playoffs

28 27.72%
  • 1st Pick

73 72.28%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Playoffs or John Wall?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Playoffs or John Wall?

Would you rather see the Pacers make the playoffs this year or get the 1st pick in the draft?

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Playoffs or John Wall?

Even if the 1st pick were only a 5% chance that is better than the odds of making the playoffs.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

If we don't finally get at least a top 5 pick, we'll have this discussion every year...
    Thank you Jeff.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 31andonly For This Useful Post:

they aren't 50-50 propositions, so it is a bit of skewed poll. If I knew we were going to get John Wall if we won X amount of games and the ping pong balls would bounce around in the perfect place for the top pick, then yea...

But the chances of getting the number 1 are not so great. In fact, for where we are at now, I would say it is about a 5% or less possiblity if we keep the same pace. That is not good odds. It is like hoping to win by getting trips on the river, for a poker analogy.

So taking that into consideration, would you rather make the playoffs, or have a 5% chance at Wall.

Now maybe Favors or that kid from Lithuania will be hall of famers some day, who knows? I doubt it..

Now, back to your regular scheduled wish thinking.

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to PaceBalls For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Would you rather see the Pacers make the playoffs this year or get the 1st pick in the draft?
    I don't think it has to be only the 1st pick in the draft, the pacers need a top 10th pick, the question should be more like, "do you prefer the pacers to make it to the playoffs or get a top ten draft pick and maybe Jhon Wall?"

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    I don't think it has to be only the 1st pick in the draft, the pacers need a top 10th pick, the question should be more like, "do you prefer the pacers to make it to the playoffs or get a top ten draft pick and maybe Jhon Wall?"
    Exactly.

Though even I might say Top 5 as that is a real possibility barring silly runs like we are currently on that only end up ruining our draft position and accomplish little else.

And has been stated, we stand a much much better chance of getting a top 5 pick than we do of making the playoffs.

Or you can look at it this way. Last year the top 7 picks were Blake Griffin, Thabeet, James Harden, Tyreke Evans, Ricky Rubio, Jonny Flynn, and Stephen Curry. This years draft is rumored to be a bit better than what was generally considered a weaker draft last year. We were 14-25 last year-just the same as this year. Would you rather have the result we had last year or would you rather have one of those 7 picks?

Seems simple, really.
    Last edited by cinotimz; 01-16-2010 at 07:08 AM.

Professional Beachcomber mildlysane's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

No way I am rooting for the Pacers to lose. (Be careful what you wish for). Go playoffs!!! If we give effort and really try and win, but lose and end up with the first pick...great! But no way do I advocate tanking. Karma frowns on this type of action.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mildlysane For This Useful Post:

I find it odd that some people claim that you get better via trades. Others say you get better via the draft. I think both are good ways to improve...although for the Pacers, the draft has been more important.

For one, Danny Granger is our best player...and of course he was drafted. Reggie Miller, Rik Smits and Dale Davis all came via the draft. Roy Hibbert might be another well above average draft pick...although the jury is still out on that.

Other times we have obtained talent via trades. Dale Davis for JO. But keep in mind we only got JO because we drafted Dale.

Overall, I think the Pacers are probably more likely to improve via the draft. That's been the history folks....

Edit: As for Wall or the playoffs...I don't think it's close for this team. We need a lot more talent and Wall would be worth far more over the next 10 years than 1 trip to the playoffs. The fact is, with Wall we are likely to make the playoffs a lot more.
    Last edited by BlueNGold; 01-16-2010 at 09:37 AM.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

No way this should be close. If the pacers made the playoffs there is no way it would last long. I would take Wall in a second. That being said, if the pacers had the worst record in the league I'm not sure they are lucky enough to get a #1 pick

14. The Following User Says Thank You to thefeistyone For This Useful Post:

What Thingfish says is key here. The question is pure fantasy, but it is still a valid question.

Wall.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Someone should run an alternate poll. Something like "Playoffs or 10% chance at John Wall."
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    Someone should run an alternate poll. Something like "Playoffs or 10% chance at John Wall."
    Maybe so, but as unlikely as drafting John Wall may be...it is still a valid question....although very easy to answer.

As for Playoffs or a 10% chance at John Wall...I'd take the playoffs.

As for Playoffs or a 50% chance at a top 5 pick...I'd take the pick.

As for Playoffs or a 50% chance at a top 10 pick...I'd take the playoffs.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If we had a coaching staff that develops youth, then draft picks would be key to a solid future of consistently competitive performance. We absolutely do not have such a coaching staff in my opinion, and have little to no intention of concentrating on player development.

Therefore, our best bet is to do the very best we can, even to the point of making the playoffs (which is extremely unlikely, at best), and make our trading pieces look as attractive as possible while doing so, and in the process position ourselves in the best way possible to maximize the value we can receive in trades so that we may rebuild from the bottom that we reached a short time ago in the shortest time possible with whatever players the franchise feels are going to play whatever style that whatever coach we have in a couple of years likes to have his teams play.

Congratulations to them for making more progress recently than anyone has any right to expect over the last few games. Go Danny, Go Dun, and Go Murph! Secondarily, Go AJ, Go Brandon, Go Roy, and hopefully at some point Go Tyler!

Quote Originally Posted by Thingfish View Post
    they aren't 50-50 propositions, so it is a bit of skewed poll. If I knew we were going to get John Wall if we won X amount of games and the ping pong balls would bounce around in the perfect place for the top pick, then yea...

But the chances of getting the number 1 are not so great. In fact, for where we are at now, I would say it is about a 5% or less possiblity if we keep the same pace. That is not good odds. It is like hoping to win by getting trips on the river, for a poker analogy.

So taking that into consideration, would you rather make the playoffs, or have a 5% chance at Wall.

Now maybe Favors or that kid from Lithuania will be hall of famers some day, who knows? I doubt it..

Now, back to your regular scheduled wish thinking.

The thread states playoffs or "#1 pick". Ping pong balls have nothing to do with this thread. It's either or. Pick one, no varibles involved. Why make it harder than just pick option A or option B?

Is there really a doubt? You take the #1 pick. The playoffs will come sooner and more often in the future than ever getting a #1 pick.

Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post

Playoffs.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Playoffs or John Wall playing for the Las Vegas Pacers?
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

The only good thing about us making the playoffs is that I'd get to see LeBron in person for 2 more games. And we're already 4.5 games out of the 8th seed. We're not making that up. There is no chance.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

We've played the lightest schedule in the league, and we're at 14-25. For all the pro-tanking guys fretting over this mini winning streak, i'd say enjoy it- we might not be seeing another one for a while.

It doesn't matter b/c they won't see the playoffs or the #1 pick. The pick will be beyond #10.
    Give the ball to your best playmakers to win

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr_Smith For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

what if John Wall is a bust???? so bust or playoffs??? what if we get in the playoffs and by some weird chance we make noise and go deep??? anything can happen.

Quote Originally Posted by sportfireman View Post
    what if John Wall is a bust???? so bust or playoffs??? what if we get in the playoffs and by some weird chance we make noise and go deep??? anything can happen.
    I think we have a better chance at getting the #1 pick than either of these "what ifs" to come to fruition.

Us beating Lebron in a playoff series with THIS team? The "Miracle on Ice" would have to take a backseat if that happens.

-- Steve --

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacersfan46 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    I find it odd that some people claim that you get better via trades. Others say you get better via the draft. I think both are good ways to improve...although for the Pacers, the draft has been more important.

For one, Danny Granger is our best player...and of course he was drafted. Reggie Miller, Rik Smits and Dale Davis all came via the draft. Roy Hibbert might be another well above average draft pick...although the jury is still out on that.

Other times we have obtained talent via trades. Dale Davis for JO. But keep in mind we only got JO because we drafted Dale.

Overall, I think the Pacers are probably more likely to improve via the draft. That's been the history folks....

Edit: As for Wall or the playoffs...I don't think it's close for this team. We need a lot more talent and Wall would be worth far more over the next 10 years than 1 trip to the playoffs. The fact is, with Wall we are likely to make the playoffs a lot more.
    the vast mojority of players in the league get drafted........the draft is important to the NBA as a whole. we got JO because.............yep he was drafted.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Pacersfan46 View Post
    I think we have a better chance at getting the #1 pick than either of these "what ifs" to come to fruition.

Us beating Lebron in a playoff series with THIS team? The "Miracle on Ice" would have to take a backseat if that happens.

-- Steve --
    i understand but what if we do land Wall and he's a bust???...... unless there's a 27 yr old Michael Jordan coming in that door in a Pacers uni.......1 player is not gonna save this orginization.

If it's a guaranteed #1 vs. First round playoff exit..I think it's pretty obvious which one is better.

Although, if it was playoffs vs Lottery -with a shot at John Wall- I'd actually be more inclined to say playoffs.