Thread: Rothstein Says It

Southside_Pacer

Default Rothstein Says It

This team doesn't know how to play with a big lead and we forget how we got it.

Thank you! I agree!

Default Re: Rothstein Says It

Wait...Did we just lose?

Wait...We won. I don't think it really matters now.

Wait...Did we just lose?

It definitely matters. We won't always save the lead like this.

Southside_Pacer

It does. We have to play with a solid effort for 48 minutes regardless of who we're playing.

If it weren't for Croshere having a great game tonight who knows what might have happend. This was an opportunity to really have a great game, play with a great effort, and really stick it to the Lakers when they are down.

We failed to do that, and only being up 9 in the fourth quarter without three of their big four, after blowing a 22 point lead, really does concern me.

While I'm glad we got the W, we did not play well as a team. JO not being in the game really exposed some weak spots in our game, and who knows what might happen if we were ever to lose him due to an injury.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wait...Did we just lose?

Strongly disagree!!!

The Pacers probably played one of their worst games of the year. The Pacers need to stop playing down to the competition. That could seriouly bite them in the arse with the coushy schedule to come!
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Wait...Did we just lose?

I'm not even going to comment on that one. I just got calmed down.

Thus far this season this Pacers team has been as good at keeping leads as any other Pacers team I remember.

Not saying there is no letup, because there is. But I believe this team is more consistent than the Pacers teams of the 1990's.

Part of the reason, I think, is that we have more players with decent post up games and we rely less on perimeter shooting.

Maybe I downplayed it too much, but I just wanted to say that I think some people may be overreacting. Sometimes teams don't play perfectly. It's gonna happen. Please don't be too harsh (on me and the team).

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Thus far this season this Pacers team has been as good at keeping leads as any other Pacers team I remember.

Not saying there is no letup, because there is. But I believe this team is more consistent than the Pacers teams of the 1990's.

Part of the reason, I think, is that we have more players with decent post up games and we rely less on perimeter shooting.
    But, sometimes it feels like this team will take plays off. I like our game, but I don't like when we go from pounding the ball down low to one on one isolation and turnover city because we have a bit of a lead...
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Southside_Pacer

It seems like when we get the big lead, we relax on the defensive end and teams can quickly rattle off little runs betwee 4-8 points.

Thankfully Carlisle recognizes this and calls a timeout to get things back in order. I'd love to see this team really get the killer instinct and put teams away early and mentally make them think there's no way we're going to come back and win against the Pacers.

We all know no lead is ever safe in this league until it's over. Just as the Boston Celtics about that (I'm talking about the Phoenix game).

I think the main reason why many of us are upset with this team is that we were playing a shorthanded Lakers team tonight, and we really had the chance to stick it to them. It also gave us a preview of what we'd look like without Jermaine, and I sure didn't like what I saw for the most part.

Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar

Maybe I downplayed it too much, but I just wanted to say that I think some people may be overreacting. Sometimes teams don't play perfectly. It's gonna happen. Please don't be too harsh (on me and the team).
    Part of me agrees with the "we won who cares" side of things. But the problem with blowing big leads all of the time is that you never get a physical or mental break during the season. One of the problems many teams face is that they allow other teams into games and they are flat out tired and worn out by the time the playoffs roll around. With an 82 game schedule teams need to be able to rest their starters. Last night was a perfect example. Reggie, Ron and Al had to play many more minutes than should have had to because the reserves started playing one on one and let the Lakers back in. Carlisle should of been able to rest those guys for the 4th quarter and they would've been fresher for tonight's game. Doing that as much as this team does could spell disaster later on.
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin

I want to make two general points.

1) Every team in the NBA "blows" leads

2) There is one thing I don't understand. I need to set this up using two scenerios.

First scenerio: Pacers have a great first quarter, get a 20 point lead, but then in the second quarter the other team plays great and erases the whole 20 point deficit. Game is tied at halftime.

Second scenerio: Pacers have a bad first quarter, trail by 20 points at the end of the first quarter, but then they play a great second quarter, and the game is tied at halftime.

My question is: what is the difference between the two scenerios. In the first the Pacers blew a huge lead. In the second scenerio the Pacers make a huge comeback and everyone is happy at halftime.

But I would argue the two scenerios are the same.

My point is every team in the league blows leads, if you want to call it that, every team makes comebacks.

On a more specific level, of course you want to play well every minute of every game consistantly and it is the coaches job to get his team to do that

2) There is one thing I don't understand. I need to set this up using two scenerios.

First scenerio: Pacers have a great first quarter, get a 20 point lead, but then in the second quarter the other team plays great and erases the whole 20 point deficit. Game is tied at halftime.

Second scenerio: Pacers have a bad first quarter, trail by 20 points at the end of the first quarter, but then they play a great second quarter, and the game is tied at halftime.

My question is: what is the difference between the two scenerios. In the first the Pacers blew a huge lead. In the second scenerio the Pacers make a huge comeback and everyone is happy at halftime.

My point is every team in the league blows leads, if you want to call it that, every team makes comebacks.

On a more specific level, of course you want to play well every minute of every game consistantly and it is the coaches job to get his team to do that
    I think the concern is that neither of these scenarios are what took place last night. What we had was this:

Third scenario: Pacers have a great first quarter, and build a 22-point lead in the first half, but then suddenly start playing like crap, with a very poor effort against an undermanned yet dangerous team, and come dangerously close to relinquishing their lead, not just in the second quarter but again in the third quarter.

I see both sides of this, but really I expected more from our guys last night as well. I understand that the NBA is a game of streaks. The problem is that I didn't see anything from the Lakers to make them earn theirbrief comebacks. It was a total turnaround in effort and basketball intelligence that allowed the Lakers to creep back in. Sometimes that's going to happen, but it's very dangerous. Against the wrong team on the wrong night (i.e. the Lakers) a situation like that can quickly snowball and suddenly the Lakers take the lead and win the game (they've done it many, many times before - remember last year's playoffs).

I'll definitely take the W, but if we had played our game for 48 minutes the Pacers would have won by 40 points and we wouldn't be having this discussion.

I think the concern is that neither of these scenarios are what took place last night. What we had was this:

Third scenario: Pacers have a great first quarter, and build a 22-point lead in the first half, but then suddenly start playing like crap, with a very poor effort against an undermanned yet dangerous team, and come dangerously close to relinquishing their lead, not just in the second quarter but again in the third quarter.

I see both sides of this, but really I expected more from our guys last night as well. I understand that the NBA is a game of streaks. The problem is that I didn't see anything from the Lakers to make them earn theirbrief comebacks. It was a total turnaround in effort and basketball intelligence that allowed the Lakers to creep back in. Sometimes that's going to happen, but it's very dangerous. Against the wrong team on the wrong night (i.e. the Lakers) a situation like that can quickly snowball and suddenly the Lakers take the lead and win the game (they've done it many, many times before - remember last year's playoffs).

I'll definitely take the W, but if we had played our game for 48 minutes the Pacers would have won by 40 points and we wouldn't be having this discussion.

I was not talking about last night's game, that is why I said I wanted to make a couple of general points

Ah ok, my bad then.

I was not very happy with the way the Pacers played last night at all. But then the whole atmosphere was very strange, even on TV