Thread: Garcon has family in Haiti

Default Garcon has family in Haiti

http://www.indystar.com/article/2010...ORTS03/1140464
    By Phil Richards at the Indianapolis Star

Colts' Garcon worries about relatives in Haiti
    By Phil Richards
    Posted: January 14, 2010Comments (0) Recommend E-mail Print
    ShareA A Indianapolis Colts wide receiver Pierre Garcon's world was rocked Tuesday.

"I have aunties, uncles back there, cousins, nieces and nephews back there," Garcon said Wednesday of Haiti, site of a devastating earthquake. "Haven't heard much from them; still waiting to see. My mom is trying to call and hopefully get some good news.

"It's terrible. It's probably the worst thing that can ever happen, probably worse than a nightmare. It's already a poor country, and this just makes it worse."

Garcon was born in Carmel, N.Y., but his mother and father and all three of his sisters were born in Haiti. All now live in the United States.

He said he has more relatives than he can count in the island nation and most live near Port-au-Prince, about 10 miles east of the center of the quake that hit the country Tuesday.

Garcon requested prayers "for my family, friends and people of Haiti" on his Twitter account, ShowTimeP85. He urged that a state of emergency be declared and pleaded for aid.

The Colts responded Wednesday with a $10,000 donation to the American Red Cross. The team also encouraged fans to donate and said announcements will be made during the AFC divisional playoff game with Baltimore on Saturday evening at Lucas Oil Stadium.

Garcon is having difficulty setting it aside to concentrate on the game. On his Facebook page, he replaced his profile photo with the Haitian flag and posted photos of the damaged national palace.

Coach Jim Caldwell spoke to him Wednesday morning, and many teammates have reached out.

"It's tough, but you can't do much, so I just have to try to do my best here and play through them, play for them and let them know," Garcon said.

"I know they're proud, and I have to try to represent them and give them a little hope, something to think about beside what they're going through."

Call Star reporter Phil Richards at (317) 444-6408.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Erik For This Useful Post: