Thread: Isiah Thomas mother passes

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Default Isiah Thomas mother passes

http://www.indystar.com/article/2010...dies-at-age-86

CHICAGO The mother of Hall of Fame basketball star and Florida International coach Isiah Thomas has died.

Mary Thomas, 86, died this morning at Adventist Hinsdale Hospital in suburban Chicago, hospital spokeswoman Lisa Parro said.

Thoughts and prayers go out to him and his family
    Sittin on top of the world!

Default Re: OT Isiah Thomas mother passes

Losing a parent is awful he has my condolences

Generally I think of Isiah as a fast talking sleezy used car dealer. Selling himself as a Ferrari, but you generally get a lemon when you've hired him.

However in this instance I wish him nothing but the best. I hope he feels she had a long and happy life. It'll make it at least a bit easier. I've lost a parent both way to early, and another at a point when they were much more prepared for it. Sucks either way, but you can at least be at peace with one quicker.

-- Steve --

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacersfan46 For This Useful Post:

My condolences, as well.

I remember meeting her at an exhibition game at Assembly Hall. It was the start of Zeke's freshman year. She and another lady were standing in front of me, in the line at a concession stand. The way they were talking, it was easy to tell that she had a son on the team.

I asked her if that was indeed the case. She introduced herself with a smile as big as the Hall itself, and you could just feel the pride and love she was feeling for her son.

There is a great story about her getting a call from Isiah while he was with the Pistons. He told her that there was some "paper work" that IU was holding for him at the Hall, but he could not get there to pick it up. He had gotten her a plane ticket, and transportation from the airport to the Hall, if she would go pick up this "paper work" for him.

She, of course, obliged. When she got to Assembly Hall, she was stunned by all the cars and people there. She figured there must be some kind of function going on, but didn't have any idea what it was.

Well, she soon found out. The folks at the Hall, led her to a room and gave her a box. When she opened it, she found a cap and gown inside. When she asked what this was all about, she finally found out what was going on.

She was to take Isiah's place in line, and receive the diploma that he had continued to work towards while playing in the NBA. He had always promised her he would get that diploma, and he did.

I can only imagine how thrilled she was with this surprise.

What a wonderful lady she was. God rest her.

By the way. If you have never seen The Mary Thomas Story (a made for TV movie), you should. It is just an amazing account of her life and her devotion to her family.
    Last edited by Tom White; 01-15-2010 at 10:45 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Tom White For This Useful Post:

Losing a parent can be a devastating time in one's life. Most of us will have to go thru this in our life time. It's part of life that one wishes they didn't have to experience even once let alone twice. I feel for Zeke having to go through this horrible ordeal. My condolences to him and his family in this time of heartache and saddness.