Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Brian Windhorst (Cavs' beat writer). Interesting comments about the Pacers

Default Brian Windhorst (Cavs' beat writer). Interesting comments about the Pacers

In yesterday's podcast at around the 12:45 mark, he says that the word around the league is that the Pacers are asking for some ridiculous offers. Says that when the Cavs enquired about Murphy, they wanted a "laughable" return that included cap relief, prospects and MULTIPLE picks.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to JB24 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Brian Windhorst (Cavs' beat writer). Interesting comments about the Pacers

don't fing blow this Larry

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sportfireman For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Brian Windhorst (Cavs' beat writer). Interesting comments about the Pacers

Quote Originally Posted by JB24 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In yesterday's podcast at around the 12:45 mark, he says that the word around the league is that the Pacers are asking for some ridiculous offers. Says that when the Cavs enquired about Murphy, they wanted a "laughable" return that included cap relief, prospects and MULTIPLE picks.

Couldn't it be "we want 40, they'll want to give us 30 or less, so we'll start by asking for 50 or more"?

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Banned

the guy is saying that the pacers are asking for multiple draft pick and prospect for Murphy, maybe more.

It never hurts to ask, I guess.

Hell Duke Dynamite makes a killing by this very thing so sometimes it works.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Couldn't it be "we want 40, they'll want to give us 30 or less, so we'll start by asking for 50 or more"?
    We can only hope...

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Possible, but that's a dangerous way to negotiate. By doing so you can insult the other person (does Bird really think I'm this stupid??) and either nix a deal completely, or make them less inclined to give you what you want. As much as it's business, you're dealing with personalities too.

-- Steve --

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacersfan46 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    It never hurts to ask, I guess.

Hell Duke Dynamite makes a killing by this very thing so sometimes it works.
    What the hell did I do?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    What the hell did I do?

Banned
    Mood

Between this and the rumors that we demanded Bynum and Odom for J.O., it makes you think...

This is what I've been afraid of the entire time, and not just with Murphy. I expect the exact same thing happened with TJ.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This is what I've been afraid of the entire time, and not just with Murphy. I expect the exact same thing happened with TJ.
    with TJ, Tinsley, Foster, Dunleavy and even JO

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Didnt JO have a simmialr complaint when Bird was trying to move him? I believe this to be true because I remember when it was reported that Bird wanted BOTH Bynum and Odom for JO

Bird , for the love of Go please stop and be reasonable

Murphy and Foster deserve to be traded to a contender NOW!!

They have ben good guys and especially Foster have been a great example for the city of Indianapolis and the Pacers
    Sittin on top of the world!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Umm...You don't trade them to a contender just because they are good guys.

You trade them to the team that gives you the best in return. Period.

21. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I want to maximize what little trading assets that we have and don't want to undervalue Murphy's trade value....but I also recognize that we need to move him for an Expiring Contract in the next month and that the Cavs have other suitors for Big Zs Expiring contract. IMHO...the only real advantage that the Pacers have over the Wizards is that Murphy's contract is way more reasonable then Jamison's contract that has an extra year on it and is owed about $17 mil more. Asking for less in return is the only way that we can IMHO make a better offer.

As mentioned in another thread........I do not want to lose out on trading Murphy to the Cavs over asking for too much in return.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

You don't start out negotiating with your best offer, plus you have more than a month to work this out.

ALSO, it doesn't have to be done by Feb., if you don't get what you want, you can wait. Ya, you risk a player getting hurt or declining in play, but if that doesn't happen, you have expiring contracts too.

I'm not saying you shouldn't move Murph now, cuz his trade value is better than I ever thought it would get to, plus you have to make a move to get under the cap.

These GM shouldn't get insulted, I'd guess everyone of them have done the same thing, where it would get insulting if a guy wouldn't negotiate or wouldn't follow through on a proposal. Bird's shown he'll do a deal, they all know that. If a GM won't do a deal cuz they don't like Bird then that's a sad statement on them, this isn't trading lunches in 3rd grade, it's trying to make your team better. Do you think a GM won't do a deal to help his job/franchise because Larry is asking for alot back in a trade, I doubt it.

Knee jerk/take what you can get type trades never work.

----------------

I'm just saying three things.

Start negotiating by asking for more than you'd take (like he is doing).

Take your time-you have a month

If NOTHING happens-its not the end of the world, you still have those assets.
    Last edited by Speed; 01-14-2010 at 03:37 PM.

24. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    You don't start out negotiating with your best offer, plus you have more than a month to work this out.

ALSO, it doesn't have to be done by Feb., if you don't get what you want, you can wait. Ya, you risk a player getting hurt or declining in play, but if that doesn't happen, you have expiring contracts too.

I'm not saying you shouldn't move Murph now, cuz his trade value is better than I ever thought it would get to, plus you have to make a move to get under the cap.

You are right...technically, we don't have to move anybody before this trade deadline....but I think it's in our best interest that we do. It is far more beneficial to get out from under the 2010-2011 LT before going into the season then it is to get out from under it before the 2010-2011 Trade Deadline.

I do not want to be in the same position as the Jazz were in a month ago where they had to include sweetner just to send a Contract to a Team that could send back no Salary. On top of that....we are already over the likely 2010-2011 LT at least by $6-7 mil....if we wait until the 2010-2011 Season......even if we take back a better Player...we will likely be taking back a comprable contract....thus making it harder to avoid the LT.
    Last edited by CableKC; 01-14-2010 at 03:48 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

None of the contenders have their backs against the wall right now. By starting high, Bird gives himself some wiggle room and, as the trade deadline starts to near and potential trading partner's chances of securing a better playoff position narrows, Bird may find himself sitting in the catbird's seat -- pardon the pathetic pun.

This was a pretty informative podcast. I'm curious to hear what Larry Bird wants for Troy.

Quote Originally Posted by Trophy View Post
    This was a pretty informative podcast. I'm curious to hear what Larry Bird wants for Troy.
    maybe we can figure it out? cap relief, prospects, picks.

cap relief may consist of...shaq and z?
    prospects...boobie, hickson, danny green
    picks...who knows.

some combination of these things maybe. best we can do is guess i suppose, tho the whole z for troy thing is looking to be more of a reality than just rumors.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to BornReady For This Useful Post:

Formerly QuickRelease NapTonius Monk's Avatar

Man, are we overvaluing Troy or what?

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post

These GM shouldn't get insulted, I'd guess everyone of them have done the same thing, where it would get insulting if a guy wouldn't negotiate or wouldn't follow through on a proposal. Bird's shown he'll do a deal, they all know that. If a GM won't do a deal cuz they don't like Bird then that's a sad statement on them, this isn't trading lunches in 3rd grade, it's trying to make your team better. Do you think a GM won't do a deal to help his job/franchise because Larry is asking for alot back in a trade, I doubt it.

Knee jerk/take what you can get type trades never work.

----------------

All that is true but if you are way of abse in our demmands it wont matter how much time elapses

you would still be way off base

I hope thats not the case though
    Sittin on top of the world!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Last edited by Natston; 01-14-2010 at 04:26 PM.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Natston For This Useful Post:

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pacersfan46 View Post
    Possible, but that's a dangerous way to negotiate. By doing so you can insult the other person (does Bird really think I'm this stupid??) and either nix a deal completely, or make them less inclined to give you what you want. As much as it's business, you're dealing with personalities too.

-- Steve --
    Or just focus negotiating with someone that starts with a more reasonable position, using the idea that if someone starts with a reasonable position you're more likely to actually reach an agreement.

Value for everything is within a reasonable range. If the other party doesn't start from inside those boundaries, why bother?

I could offer the Porsche dealer $2500 for that new 911. Does that mean he/ she needs to counter-offer with $180k so that we can end up at $90k where we both know we belong?
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you