View Poll Results: Shoulld AJ Price Start?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes he the Pg we we been look for

5 14.71%
  • Maybe on different match ups

1 2.94%
  • no he isnt ready but he a good off the bench.

13 38.24%
  • Yes he's a better option at the moment. (sportfireman)

7 20.59%
  • Tinsley's the best option we can get...let's trade for him (Suaveness)

1 2.94%
  • Yes. And so should Rush, Hibbert, and Hansbrough/McRoberts. (BRushWithDeath)

4 11.76%
  • Yes ..... eventually. Give him some more time. (PacerDude)

3 8.82%

Thread: Should AJ Start?

Default Should AJ Start?

Should AJ Price start push rest of the season?
    Go Pacers make the playoffs!!!2011:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Should AJ Start?

yes.....start him.

no he should not start not yet at least

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Not yet. Soon.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to duke dynamite For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think he needs to be on the court against excellent PG's such as Steve Nash so he can see first-hand how these guys play and it will only make him better defensively and in integrating other players' moves into his own arsenal. See Rip Hamilton playing against Reggie Miller.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yes. We're in (or should be in) full on rebuilding mode. The youth should get the vast majority of the minutes. Barring injury, I'd be happy if Murphy, Dunleavy, Foster, and T.J. Ford never played again.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Thanks for the thread, I've been wanting to start this exact thread, maybe with a poll, but still.

Yes, he's young, but he's playing smart and well. This is a perfect situation to start him and see what he can bring against front line guys. It's kinda baptism by fire, but with his persona I think he can learn and improve.

I think you monitor him, when you do, make sure it's all not too much for him and starts to get frustrating and making him take on bad habits. I just don't get the feeling that will happen with him.

I've said this in post game threads before, but you can almost tell that he has the respect of the other players for his abilities. I'd guess in practice he really is showing that he has some serious skills. I think he's earning the spot from the team (players), not just from the coach annoiting him.

Now, something else I've been wanting to say. Same thing I said at the beginning of the season about Roy, BRush, and Hansbrough. I think we have to manage expectations with AJ. This means, you have to understand he's going to have bad games and bad stretches, it's just what happens to rookies. So I mean I hope we all understand as encouraging as something positive can seem in such a, at times, dismal situation, don't expect too much from the guy, then we he doesn't live up to it, lose sight of the learning being done and the positive things too. I'm not asking for anyone to be Pollyannish, just expect a 1-10 and 6 turnover game, if you do this.

Lastly, what's to lose by doing this?
    -seems prepared for the responsibility
    -seems to have the respect of teammates
    -seems to have the skill level
    -is young and this could be an excellent time to expedite development

I figured he would be starting by the Allstar break, even based on the little we've seen of him. Again I can't think of a reason not to.

I think it is still too soon and he has a lot to learn, but he needs to get as many minutes as we can give him and continue to build his confidence. Earl has been pretty decent as the starter. I do like having AJ on the court to finish games.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Now, something else I've been wanting to say. Same thing I said at the beginning of the season about Roy, BRush, and Hansbrough. I think we have to manage expectations with AJ. This means, you have to understand he's going to have bad games and bad stretches, it's just what happens to rookies. So I mean I hope we all understand as encouraging as something positive can seem in such a, at times, dismal situation, don't expect too much from the guy, then we he doesn't live up to it, lose sight of the learning being done and the positive things too. I'm not asking for anyone to be Pollyannish, just expect a 1-10 and 6 turnover game, if you do this.
    Completely agree. That's a big issue this season. Let's say I want McBob or Roy to play. They play and have some problems so someone says "Troy is better than that". Even if that's true (and when has it been this year, not often) the point is that the team is still pretty bad with Troy (or TJ, Dun, even Watson and Foster) so it's not like this is holding you back much, and at least they are young and can still be expected to improve.

Troy might somehow have the same season he did last year 4 more times, but it's not likely that he'll ever be better than that. If that's not even close to pushing you into the playoffs then what's the point?

Maybe in 2 years I'll be leading the call to give up on McBob, Price, Rush and Roy, but you've got to get to that point first. Even if they draft Wall you don't "give up" on Price early, you keep working him as much as possible (say 20 mpg) until he's really proven out to be a poor NBA player.

I love AJ Price and did prior to the draft. I was as shocked that the Pacers took him as I was that they got Brandon Rush. But both these guys need to reasonably developed, and if there is a team with the time to do that it's the Pacers. Let's face it, this team isn't headed anywhere this year or probably next.

A danger with AJ is that he's very mature. He's older, got tons of NCAA experience due to injuries that kept him from being in an earlier draft, and he's learned a quality NCAA system. Guys like that can look advanced now and then top out as others catch them.

I don't think AJ will get a lot better personally, but I also don't think he has too. He's pretty close to what I want from a PG, the closest thing we've had to Jax since he left. I think he's much closer to the finished product than Rush, Roy or McRoberts are.

He and Tyler should be more mature because they are.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Also I don't think Watson's doing too bad. He has some problems, but he's getting assists and running the floor well enough most of the time. Not always thrilled with shot selection, though Luther is worse and both of them seem driven more by JOB than their own instincts.

Part of chemistry is not throwing Watson under the bus with an unearned demotion. If you move him behind AJ it should be something of an obvious move and I don't see how it's obvious this early on. If AJ hits a speed bump, which he will, then you build up some resentment with a "see, I'm better than that" view.

With a young stud like AJ, I can live with him having bad games if he is our main guy, because the potential is so high... plus he can get better. Compare this to TJ, while I sitll think TJ is alright, he is who he is, he isn't getting any better than he is, and he will continue to do the same things over and over and play the same way. It is just more fun watching a young guy come into his own and see his game elevate to the next level.

So yeah, play the rook. We have a very solid backup with Earl in case AJ has some bad rookie nights. Really, I care much less about who starts the game as I do who finishes, and the last few games Jim has made an excellent decision in that he has been finishing the game with AJ.

There, I did it. I said something good about Jim.
    In fact, I will make an effort to not say anything bad about Murph or Jim tonight, until the post game thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Also I don't think Watson's doing too bad. He has some problems, but he's getting assists and running the floor well enough most of the time. Not always thrilled with shot selection, though Luther is worse and both of them seem driven more by JOB than their own instincts.

Part of chemistry is not throwing Watson under the bus with an unearned demotion. If you move him behind AJ it should be something of an obvious move and I don't see how it's obvious this early on. If AJ hits a speed bump, which he will, then you build up some resentment with a "see, I'm better than that" view.
    I'm with ya on Luther, but I thought he was bad even when everyone thought he should be our new starting SG. He was nice while Danny was out, as he had the guts to be aggressive and try to score, and did score. But he calls his own number too much. When he gets the ball he aint giving it up. He kinda reminds me of Ron Mercer. At least Jim isn't trying to play Luther as our starting PG like Isaiah did with Mercer in that Boston series... uhhg. Yeah Luther should play whenever Danny isn't playing,.

Sorry for the IT memory...

I dont care if he starts or not, I just really want to see him finish the game. I think he should be in the last 5 or 6 minutes of the game every night. Anything less is just unacceptable because he is showing promise of something we haven't see in Indiana in like a decade. Earl Watson isn't the future, but I sure do like his veteran outlook on Roy and Price. He knows these players will be great. He's been around long enough.

I do like what Watson brings to the floor so yea start him, but leave Price in at the end for clutch time.