View Poll Results: Who would you now draft at pick 13 for the Pacers?

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tyler Hansbrough (Bird got it right!)

41 45.05%
  • Earl Clark (14)

2 2.20%
  • Jrue Holiday (17)

3 3.30%
  • Ty Lawson (18)

19 20.88%
  • Darren Collison (21)

11 12.09%
  • Omri Casspi (23)

8 8.79%
  • DeJuan Blair (37)

4 4.40%
  • Other (please specify)

3 3.30%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Draft Do-Over

Default Re: Draft Do-Over

Im with Heartlandfan. If we could do the draft over knowing what we know now at 13 you have to pick Collison. Before the draft I don't think any thought he was worthy of a pick that high. I wanted us to get a second first round pick somehow and draft one of the point guards like Lawson, Collison, or Mayor. Whether it is form oportunity or not the kid is killing it. He just scored 35 the other night and is averaging almost 6.5 assists per game.

Honestly, can anyone really know how good Tyler is going to be? You can only judge him form the few games he played and his college resume. I think he is going to be okay, but not much, if any better than what McRoberts can bring to the table. I love his drive and intensity on the court, but so far when he has gotten into the games he has needed to get to the line a lot to score. I think he might be a little bit undersized and short armed to be a good to great power forward.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Exactly, so long as Watson and TJ were here, that rookie PG would have gotten the same amount of time..whether it were Ty, Collison, Flynn ect..And you wouldn't have gotten a PF.

I think the Pacers made the right decision, really. You got a PG who, IMO, is in the same class as the above...who just unfortunatly doesn't get to play, and a PF that unfutuantly has a weird injury.
    I don't think that's an accurate statement.

I would take Collison for sure, or possibly Blair
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

funny, when you first read the thread title you're like "damn sure i would redo it and not draft Tyler"... thing is in this list you have players who are probably having better seasons than Tyler (injury aside) but still you don't feel there is in these young guys any impact player, someone that will take his team to the next level... and oddly you find yourself picking Tyler again... because from what we've seen he s a safe solid pick and could really blossom. this draft is much better than firstly anticipated but still you fall quickly in a land of solid role players who should have good and maybe long careers in the league but no real star. wether you pick 13th 18th or 21st there s no big difference.

If I had to redo the draft I'd try to get in the early second round to have a chance at guys like Blair or Thorton... but those picks are probably more pricey than we think

anyway we were fortunate to get a talent like AJ so late in the second round so I won't complain. the jury is still out on Tyler but I think Larry did ok on that one

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I don't think that's an accurate statement.
    Didn't Rush get a lack of minutes, until Dun got hurt.
    Didn't Hibbert get far less minutes than he should have, his rookie year.
    We won't touch Josh.

Why would this 13th pick be any different than any of the other middle of the road first round picks.

JOB said Price out plays the vets in practice, and clearly does in games too..obviously Ty, Collison, Flynn ect.. would have as well, so why would they have gotten more time?

The only thing, that might have changed, is whether we actually signed Watson or not. LB might have felt a little more confident with a 13th pick running backup point, rather than a 52nd. But if Watson was still signed, that young point doesn't play.

Formerly QuickRelease NapTonius Monk's Avatar

Man, this says I already voted on this poll, but I don't remember doing so. Anyways, I would have voted Blair. I was totally sold on the idea of drafting him just before the draft. That said, I'm not mad about drafting Hans. He'll be solid for years. I like to refer to him as Dale Schrempf..minus the extended perimeter shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    O'B has said they think a lot of Price. So you really think he would have played more than Price has/does?
    To borrow Jim's word, that's irrelevant to me. What matters is that you could get a PG with more talent than AJ Price, such as Ty Lawson or Darren Collison.

Even if you take one of them, take AJ anyway and now you have your future starter AND backup PG to move forward with.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Here's the thing with Collison. I was WAY DOWN on him, and for good reason. He spent the last 2 years at UCLA with NBA teammates, Westbrook, Love, Holiday, Moute, plus the not shabby Josh Shipp. All he did that entire time was just dribble around, force his own dribble drive action and destroy the shot clock.

He was superglue and it wasn't occasionally. I watched him over 2 seasons, maybe 20 NCAA games and it never changed.

Now he still is calling his own number often, but I have to admit that out of nowhere he's passing the ball. Somehow the game has finally clicked for him and he realizes he's a PG. I'm stumped by this.

He always had the dribble and the quicks, but just TERRIBLE court vision and passing. Travis Best, 100%.

Can a guy really change his stripes that drastically? IDK, but I guess.

Obviously I take Blair if forced to keep the pick, though this is actually iffy because I wanted to trade out of the draft because I felt like they needed bigs and that this year would be far better for that (and it is). So while I like Blair, I'd trade Blair for Patterson this year if it meant I got to have another pick in this draft.

Or maybe with that view I might have taken Holiday knowing I was getting a PF this year and at the time being unsure Price would be on the board later. If I know I'm getting Price 2nd round then I either take Blair or trade the pick.

If I could get Chicago to trade for Tyler then I take Blair and Chase Budinger, maybe Sam Young instead of Chase. Tough call.

I called to draft Price in round 2 two years ago, so obviously I think they nailed that one.

I would never, ever take Tyler. Let him be a great story elsewhere, I'll admit I was wrong when it happens.

Seth, the switch is probably due to Chris Paul being his personal tutor this season. He very well might not have had this switch in a situation like ours, actually.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Sadly we might never know about how well Tyler will do. Vertigo can really mess you up and it's not like it is going to go away. It is hard to do even normal actions like walk when you have a vertigo attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Seth, the switch is probably due to Chris Paul being his personal tutor this season. He very well might not have had this switch in a situation like ours, actually.
    We can only wonder at how good he might be if he had TJ Ford to tutor him

Quote Originally Posted by Thingfish View Post
    We can only wonder at how good he might be if he had TJ Ford to tutor him
    Yea, it kind of concerns me when Price says things like "I try to learn from TJ, Earl and the coaches every day"

I'm just thinking..."please...please..don't do that..."

Didn't Rush get a lack of minutes, until Dun got hurt.
    Didn't Hibbert get far less minutes than he should have, his rookie year.
    We won't touch Josh.

Why would this 13th pick be any different than any of the other middle of the road first round picks.

JOB said Price out plays the vets in practice, and clearly does in games too..obviously Ty, Collison, Flynn ect.. would have as well, so why would they have gotten more time?

The only thing, that might have changed, is whether we actually signed Watson or not. LB might have felt a little more confident with a 13th pick running backup point, rather than a 52nd. But if Watson was still signed, that young point doesn't play.
    This year's team is a little different than last year's. We are a lot worse, and that PG position is something of a nightmare. If we made a late lottery investment in one of those PGs, I'd think the TPTB would order minutes his way, just as they would if Tyler were healthy.

This year's team is a little different than last year's. We are a lot worse, and that PG position is something of a nightmare. If we made a late lottery investment in one of those PGs, I'd think the TPTB would order minutes his way, just as they would if Tyler were healthy.
    LB should be ordering minutes Price's and Hibbert's way, but he clearly isn't.

LB should be ordering minutes Price's and Hibbert's way, but he clearly isn't.
    Hibbert gets all the minutes he can handle now. Price...I think they saw what they needed to see out of him. TPTB surely ordered that monthlong stretch he played consistently. He probably should be playing though, I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartlandFan View Post
    Maybe I missed it. Darren Collison anyone? I'd take him no doubt about it. No one else is really close based on his performance lately IMO. After him, I'd say Lawson, then Casspi.

Collison's numbers:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/player...?playerId=3973

Averaged 22 points, 8 assists, 4 rebounds, 2 steals a game in the month of February while shooting 50% from the field. Turned the ball over a lot, but he's also had the ball in his hands a lot with Chris Paul out.
    I am shocked, shocked that he isn't the unanimous choice.

Hibbert gets all the minutes he can handle now. Price...I think they saw what they needed to see out of him. TPTB surely ordered that monthlong stretch he played consistently. He probably should be playing though, I agree.
    LB should order Hibbert to start no matter what, and to not allow Jim to do this "small ball" thing. Hibbert needs to learn to start and play against the league's centers.

And I don't agree he gets all the minutes he can handle. He could handle more. IMO, play him till he fouls out.

And yes, I'm sure JOB was ordered to play Price. Why Larry doesn't force him to continue is another question.

Gotta Play Big

Collison is a little small, but he's been pretty spectacular. He's averaging in the mid 20's the last month with probably an 8 assists per game average. The last two games he's only averaged 13 or 14, but he's dishing 14 or 15 assists per game. Crazy for a rookie.

Edit: We could have done worse than Tyler. I still would not pick Blair over him...even with the ear issue. I think Blair's days are limited with his body type. Beyond Collison, I would probably rate Caspi higher too. Otherwise, I'd pick Tyler again.
    Last edited by BlueNGold; 03-04-2010 at 10:46 PM.

You guys who are militant about playing Roy more than 35+ minutes a game are crazy. Like most bigs, including Smits, Roy will probably be affected by knee and foot injuries later in his career after he's played a ton of minutes. It is established that Hibbert can play, and he just needs at this point to keep getting the reps in practice and give him no more than 25 a game. Don't wear out Roy's body too much during a throwaway season. Better yet, draft another good solid big so Roy never ever plays more than 35 a game for most of his career.

Collison has blown me away. I never thought he'd amount to much.

Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post
    You guys who are militant about playing Roy more than 35+ minutes a game are crazy. Like most bigs, including Smits, Roy will probably be affected by knee and foot injuries later in his career after he's played a ton of minutes. It is established that Hibbert can play, and he just needs at this point to keep getting the reps in practice and give him no more than 25 a game. Don't wear out Roy's body too much during a throwaway season. Better yet, draft another good solid big so Roy never ever plays more than 35 a game for most of his career.

No worries; we're going to take Cole Aldrich in the draft.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post

I'm not saying play him 35 mpg, I'm saying between 25-30 or until he fouls out...he played 11 a few nights ago, and wasn't in foul trouble. and now he isn't starting. That's a problem.

I'm not saying play him 35 mpg, I'm saying between 25-30 or until he fouls out...he played 11 a few nights ago, and wasn't in foul trouble. and now he isn't starting. That's a problem.
    Yeah but the point of giving these young guys PT is to see what we have. We know about Roy. We know what we have there: a solid young center who can score on anyone and let anyone score on him. No need to risk injury or exhaustion with him by playing him more minutes than he can handle. That isn't doing him any favors. And who cares if he starts? I'm more concerned about him finishing than starting.

Yeah but the point of giving these young guys PT is to see what we have. We know about Roy. We know what we have there: a solid young center who can score on anyone and let anyone score on him. No need to risk injury or exhaustion with him by playing him more minutes than he can handle. That isn't doing him any favors. And who cares if he starts? I'm more concerned about him finishing than starting.
    Part of the reason for playing the young guys is to let their game grow and for them to learn.

Hibbert needs to learn how to play against the centers in the league. Why not now when it doesn't matter?

That "we know what we have" is silly. We want Price and Hibbert, we should be playing them to let them grow. That's part of the reason to play them.

Obviously the other side is to see what we have in McBob and perhaps Solo. But the more important younger guys are Price and Hibbert.

Part of the reason for playing the young guys is to let their game grow and for them to learn.

Hibbert needs to learn how to play against the centers in the league. Why not now when it doesn't matter?

That "we know what we have" is silly. We want Price and Hibbert, we should be playing them to let them grow. That's part of the reason to play them.

Obviously the other side is to see what we have in McBob and perhaps Solo. But the more important younger guys are Price and Hibbert.
    I'm much more bullish on our young guys than you are. I think the only real keeper "building block" player of that group is Hibbert. McRoberts and Solo are role players at best (sorry, but there's a reason they were let go and received little to no playing time in their previous NBA stops). Price should probably be logging some minutes with Hibbert and Granger, so I won't argue there.