View Poll Results: Who would you now draft at pick 13 for the Pacers?

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tyler Hansbrough (Bird got it right!)

41 45.05%
  • Earl Clark (14)

2 2.20%
  • Jrue Holiday (17)

3 3.30%
  • Ty Lawson (18)

19 20.88%
  • Darren Collison (21)

11 12.09%
  • Omri Casspi (23)

8 8.79%
  • DeJuan Blair (37)

4 4.40%
  • Other (please specify)

3 3.30%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Draft Do-Over

Default Re: Draft Do-Over

The Pacers did the right thing. Although Ty Lawson probably has a better upside than Hansbro and AJ, if we took Lawson, we wouldn't have drafted AJ at all. And all the 2nd rounders after #54 busted, so that pick would have been a wash. Hans and AJ look like solid rotation players, so I'm ok with it. It's like we missed out on $.15 and ended up with two dimes.
    basketbawful.com- The best of the worst of professional basketball. And there's a lot of it.

100% REAL, 0% OF THE TIME the jaddler's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I like tyler but i also wanted ty lawson.....would we be better off....not sure.....but here are the stats

ty lawson
    2009-10 Statistics

PPG
    RPG
    APG
    EFF
    + 11.29

tyler
    2009-10 Statistics

PPG
    RPG
    APG
    EFF
    + 9.08
    I CANT SPELL!

THERE ARE THOSE THAT HAVE AND THOSE THAT WILL!

I voted for other. The guy I wanted was Teague. I still think
    he has the highest ceiling of the kids that were left at #13.

I voted for Casspi in 20/20 hindsight. He's playing well. 2 players I liked that were still available at 13 were James Johnson and Eric Maynor. Johnson isn't doing much and OKC got a real nice pickup in Maynor a few weeks ago.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm shocked most people here wouldn't take Lawson if they had the chance to do it over. His last 3 starts he got 23/9, 23/9, and 21/8. His FG% on the year is .515 and his 3P% is .442. He's also reletively close to a 3-1 a/to ratio.

I realize AJ Price has been doing good, but Ty Lawson is going to be a great PG. To go with that, this draft is a very strong PF draft, we could have found someone better than Hansbrough this year, we won't find a PG as good as Lawson this year unless we luck our way into the 1st pick.

I love Hansbrough, like I've said I'm a die hard Tar Heel fan, but drafting him was a mistake. We should have taken either Lawson or Holiday - knowing what we know now, Lawson obviously would have been the better choice. Its really not even close for me.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Awesome For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I picked Holiday. His performance this year doesn't surprise me. I still like his long-term potential the most, and out of all these PGs, he plays the best defense. He has a long way to go, but I think he can get there.

I am happy with the selections they made. Getting AJ Price is a big part of that. Would we have been better off seeing Lawson excell while AJ Price withered away at the end pf the bench? Price has recently got everyone's attention because he received an opportunity to shine because the veteran PG was floundering. If Lawson played well from the start, AJ wouldn't be getting any time. And they may not have selected AJ at all if they already had a PG in Lawson. Meanwhile, we wouldn't have had any additional help up front. Will AJ Price eventually be as good as Lawson? My guess is that he probably will not be as good as Lawson will be, but on the other hand I do feel Indiana got 1st round talent in the 2nd round. So I'm happy with the way things worked out. And I also think Tyler will be a nice addition even though he'd probably be best as the first big guy off the bench to bring in energy and hustle rather than permanent starter, hopefully eventually after Favors if the draft goes well for Indiana.

I'm happy enough with Psycho T, and I know DeJuan Blair's medicical concerns, but they haven't kept him from becoming a starter on the Spurs.

Last night's line for the big guy: 31 minutes, 28 points, 21 rebounds (10 offensive!), 2 blocks, 2 steals, and a win WITHOUT Duncan, on the road vs. a winning team.

The guy knows how to play, knows positioning, fights like crazy for every inch of paint, and is relentless in going for the ball. All of these things were obvious from watching him play in college, too.
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 01-14-2010 at 10:05 AM.

I thought this thread deserved a bump because I don't believe anyone would have known that Tyler's vertigo problem was a season-ending issue at the time of this post. Also, I liked Collison's game enough to put him on the list but he received no votes, but he has looked great since taking over for Chris Paul since Paul's injury.

A PG would have been a better pick (Lawson or Collison) but we might not be drafting so high this summer if we had done so.

If I could have a do-over today, I'd take a PG.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If I could have a do-over today, I'd take a PG.
    O'B has said they think a lot of Price. So you really think he would have played more than Price has/does?

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Of that list, I can pretty confidently say that Hansbrough would be my list pick.

And if I could revote I'd take Lawson. Just as Bird would.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

I think Tyler was probable the correct pick there. Takeing Blair with those knees would be a huge risk, but so far he has looked pretty good. I picked Darren Collison in the poll, hindsight is 20/20. I watched a few of the New Orleans games of late and he has looked great. I had no idea he would be this good. Nice problem for New Orleans to have with Paul and Collison.

It is just unfortunate with what has happened to Tyler. It does seem to go along with the luck we have had of late, but really sucks for him. I do think long term he is going to be a great roll player for us. The jury is still out on whether he will be a starter.
    Avatar photo credit: Bahram Mark Sobhani - AP

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    O'B has said they think a lot of Price. So you really think he would have played more than Price has/does?
    Exactly, so long as Watson and TJ were here, that rookie PG would have gotten the same amount of time..whether it were Ty, Collison, Flynn ect..And you wouldn't have gotten a PF.

I think the Pacers made the right decision, really. You got a PG who, IMO, is in the same class as the above...who just unfortunatly doesn't get to play, and a PF that unfutuantly has a weird injury.

How come more people aren't picking Lawson???
    At this point he's clearly shown that he would've have been a much better starting PG option for us than either Ford or Earl...
    If we had a do over I would definetly pick Lawson over Tyler especially since we don't know the extent of Tyler's ear infection issues. I mean it seems pretty serious if hes missed this much time already so who knows if he'll ever be able to play regularly for us.
    Lawson could have been our franchise PG of the future

I didn't like the Tyler pick at all because I was a big Blair guy, but then he grew on me a bit. Speaking strictly on hindsight though, how could you not want Collison, Lawson, or even Casspi, given some of our needs (true point guard, toughness, etc)?

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    Exactly, so long as Watson and TJ were here, that rookie PG would have gotten the same amount of time..whether it were Ty, Collison, Flynn ect..And you wouldn't have gotten a PF.

I think the Pacers made the right decision, really. You got a PG who, IMO, is in the same class as the above...who just unfortunatly doesn't get to play, and a PF that unfutuantly has a weird injury.
    We drafted before we brought in Earl so I think if we were to draft a PG, he would probably get some minutes with TJ.

If AJ was picked with the 13th pick, he'd probably get more time.

Where is the love for Taj Gibson? He is a double-double machine. His production is what we thought we were going to get from Hans. We also just saw him play over the weekend against us, and he played quite well.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacergeek For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by bhaas0532 View Post
    Where is the love for Taj Gibson? He is a double-double machine. His production is what we thought we were going to get from Hans. We also just saw him play over the weekend against us, and he played quite well.
    We already have a double-double machine.

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    Boy, everything has to go back to the coach. All the life in me has now been sucked out.
    Hey Duke,

Get your life back, or has Obie still snatched it
    Sittin on top of the world!

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post

IMHO....I think that if we drafted a PG in the draft...we wouldn't have signed Watson....I think that we would have spent what little Capspace that we had that went Watson on a Tweener PF or another Solo-like signing.

I'm guessing that one of the goals of the FO by the start of the Pre-season was to shore up the PG and PF/C rotations....either through the draft or Free Agency. That's why I think that Bird ( according to rumor ) was trying to swing another deal for another pick to draft Lawson. Since that plan fell through to get another pick......the FO went with drafting Hansbrough and then hit the FA market to sign Watson and Solo.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by bhaas0532 View Post
    To be fair....any mobile Frontcourt Low-Post scoring/defending PF does quite well against us.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sobchak View Post
    I didn't like the Tyler pick at all because I was a big Blair guy, but then he grew on me a bit. Speaking strictly on hindsight though, how could you not want Collison, Lawson, or even Casspi, given some of our needs (true point guard, toughness, etc)?
    Yeah...I think that it was pointed out by someone here on PD that this last season's draft may not yield too many top-tier Starting quality Players....but it did ( at the very least ) yield some solid rotational Players who could blossom ( when given the opportunity....as Collison and Lawson has shown ) into a "decent to solid" Starter. Crossing my fingers.....given what little that we have seen of Hansbrough......I think that he falls into that catagory of being a solid rotational Frontcourt Player for the immediate future.

I too like Taj Gibson a fair bit. Just picked from the options, but Gibson would be a useful piece, too.

Maybe I missed it. Darren Collison anyone? I'd take him no doubt about it. No one else is really close based on his performance lately IMO. After him, I'd say Lawson, then Casspi.

Collison's numbers:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/player...?playerId=3973

Averaged 22 points, 8 assists, 4 rebounds, 2 steals a game in the month of February while shooting 50% from the field. Turned the ball over a lot, but he's also had the ball in his hands a lot with Chris Paul out.
    Last edited by Coop; 03-04-2010 at 01:56 PM.