IN: Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Ty Lawson, Kenyon Martin
    OUT: Troy Murphy, Jeff Foster, T.J. Ford

NUGGETS
    IN: Jeff Foster, T.J. Ford, Cleveland's 2010 1st
    OUT: Ty Lawson, Kenyon Martin

Default Re: Pacers/Cavs/Nuggets

That's such a non-starter.

Doesn't exactly address the financial situation.

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Doesn't exactly address the financial situation.
    Ours or Denver's?

Both Martin and Ford have the same number of years remaining (Ford has a P.O.) and Ilgauskas expires at the end of the season.

Banned
    Mood

A non-starter?

Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    A non-starter?
    Yes, a non-starter. Denver is trading it's starting PF and it's PG of the future for a backup center with a bad back, a terrible PG with a bad contract, and a throwaway end of the 1st pick, the likes of which is easy to acquire by other means.

Remember that the whole rationale for Denver to do this is to get another big man for their playoff push. Getting a guy who would be the 4th big in their rotation by giving up the best big in their rotation makes zero sense.

To put it simply:
    KMart plays 35mpg
    Lawson plays 23mpg

Do you think giving that up to get Foster and Ford is an improvement? Obviously it's not. KMart is a much better player than Foster. Lawson is a much better player than Ford.

Tangentially, Denver would have to be utterly insane to give up Lawson for Foster.

Banned
    Mood

MikeDC, we agree to a certain extent. I agree that it's doubtful Denver would move Lawson for Foster. I also agree that any deal including Martin may defeat Denver's entire purpose for acquiring Foster.

With that said, I don't find the deal nearly as implausible as you seem to.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDC View Post
    Yes, a non-starter. Denver is trading it's starting PF and it's PG of the future for a backup center with a bad back, a terrible PG with a bad contract, and a throwaway end of the 1st pick, the likes of which is easy to acquire by other means.

Remember that the whole rationale for Denver to do this is to get another big man for their playoff push. Getting a guy who would be the 4th big in their rotation by giving up the best big in their rotation makes zero sense.
    While you don't seem to think much of Foster, Denver's opinion of him seems to be much, much higher, and theirs is the only opinion that really matters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Stein
    Denver’s desire to acquire an extra big man to throw at the defending champs from L.A. is no secret.

What I didn’t realize until the weekend is the need to start describing the Nuggets’ affection for Pacer lifer Jeff Foster in stronger terms.

Love is the word used by two sources close to the situation.

To put it simply:
    KMart plays 35mpg
    Lawson plays 23mpg

Do you think giving that up to get Foster and Ford is an improvement? Obviously it's not. KMart is a much better player than Foster. Lawson is a much better player than Ford.
    Martin's problem is that he's only 6'9" and has a history of being a poor rebounder. That wont get it done against the Laker's frontcourt, which starts two seven-footers.

I also think you're underrating T.J. Ford. Yes, he's having a terrible season, but it's also by far the worst season of his career. Someone like George Karl would almost certainly understand that our system just isn't right for T.J. and would instead focus on what a great talent he was while with the Raptors. Ford doesn't have Lawson's upside, nor his shooting touch from deep, but he's proven he can be as productive, if not more so than Lawson (see: every season of his career prior to this one).

Ford may be a downgrade in the long-term, but the Nuggets are looking to win now. The productive veteran Ford does nothing to hinder that.

Tangentially, Denver would have to be utterly insane to give up Lawson for Foster.
    No offense, but after seeing you compare a Foster/Lawson deal to a Murphy/LeBron deal, I'm not so sure you're completely grounded in reality when it comes to Lawson. Yes, he's promising, but he's also just a backup at this point putting up good - but not great - per-minute production. He's more young Jameer Nelson than Chris Paul.

If Denver feels Foster has the size, defense, and rebounding prowess to help get them past the Lakers in the West, then yes, I believe they'd be willing to move Lawson to acquire him, especially when they get a starter-quality replacement PG and a 1st round pick in the deal (which could be sold for cash or used to dump salary if they chose not to keep it).

It's a big if, but Marc Stein's latest on the rumors leads me to believe it's far from unfathomable.
    Last edited by Lance George; 01-11-2010 at 03:52 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

We take on more money than we send out, yes we acquire Z's expiring contract, but I really don't think we're gonna be willing to spend the money on K-Mart for a year, and frankly I don't think he'd be too thrilled to come here, not to mention that I'd imagine Lawson is probably one of four untouchables on the Nuggz right now (Melo, Billups, Nene, him).

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods