Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Denver "loves" Jeff Foster

Default Re: Denver "loves" Jeff Foster

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not sure if I would want Lawson. How many short and speedy Point guards does this team need? Can Lawson Play defense? Is he big enough to guard a 6-3 / 6-4 point guard?
    The kid is shooting over 50% from the field, 45% from behind the arc, has a great assist-to-turnover ratio, and runs the break like a champ. Turning Foster into Lawson would be pretty damn magical in my opinion, even if you ignore the salary components.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to judicata For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by judicata View Post
    The kid is shooting over 50% from the field, 45% from behind the arc, has a great assist-to-turnover ratio, and runs the break like a champ. Turning Foster into Lawson would be pretty damn magical in my opinion, even if you ignore the salary components.
    If things play out with AJ Price and he and Ty Lawson were you PG tandem of the future, I'd be pretty happy.

They'd have a chance to cover the position better than it has been in a looooonnnnggg time.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

My reservations are with his defense, I know he has been playing great on the offensive end, but he plays for Denver, wear defense is mostly optional night to night.

Why in the hell would Denver trade a bright rookie for Jeff Foster? That seems like larceny to me.

Banned

My reservations are with his defense, I know he has been playing great on the offensive end, but he plays for Denver, wear defense is mostly optional night to night.
    at this moment you take whatever you can for Jeff Foster and if you can get a guy like Lawson without having to give up any other piece or draft pick you do it.(I don't think is going to happen without giving up price or Tyler)

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Well dang! That does it, he definitely wouldn't fit in here where defense is obviously a nightly requirement.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

I can't actually believe that this is even a possibility. Denver had their eye on Lawson for two years, and he's turned out better than expected.

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I really liked Lawson going in to the draft. I thought he could be another Tim Hardaway and thus far he's lived up to my high expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by Bender View Post
    Why in the hell would Denver trade a bright rookie for Jeff Foster? That seems like larceny to me.
    It's highly unlikely they would. The only scenario in which I can fathom it happening is if George Karl is convinced that Foster's pesky defense and rebounding could keep the Lakers' mighty front court somewhat in check, enough to make them beatable, and he's willing to sacrifice the long-term for the short-term.

Ya, they probably wouldn't do the trade, but the reason they might do it is because you need exactly what Jeff Foster brings to maybe take a run at the whole thing, which I agree with.

Jeff is very good defensively in spurts against Dirk, Duncan, Gasol, & Garnett types, imo. I mean almost every team they'll play in the playoffs has a player Jeff could help with.

So do you sacrifice a player that may or may not be your PG of the future for a guy who might give you a better chance the next two years? Which, by the way, is likely Chauncey Billups window too.

I'm not saying Denver should do it, I'm just saying there are reasons for them to consider it.
    Last edited by Speed; 01-11-2010 at 01:13 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

They would take Price too, or Watson. They don't have great depth at PG.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    You all can call me a homer, but I really want to see A.J. Price as our starting PG by this time next year. Getting John Wall would kind of hinder that...
    I agree. There are several other very interesting picks besides Wall. In fact getting Lawson back here doesn't make a ton of sense. Price has up to this point put up pretty strong PG numbers, he's passing it well, the offense runs well when he's in.

So why start yet another youth experiment before you are even getting going with this one?

Wesley Johnson (SYR) as your backup SF instead of Dunleavy sounds really nice, lets DJones stick to SG full time. Johnson is playing his way toward top 5 status.

I mean Wall would be great it seems and Price could be his backup, but I'd rather see help at the PF (for Troy) or SF (for Dun), or another C to replace Solo. Obviously if I had it my way I'd run Josh a lot more to find out what he can regularly give you at PF, and if that is working with Price, Rush, Granger and Roy then you are kinda open to where you could apply more help.

I realize that they don't strike people as outstanding, but I think they have balance and play enough defense to be moderately effective. One ace scorer from the bench (ala Harden or Terry) could be the perfect fit.

BTW, I used to think Singler (Duke) was going to bust, but he's starting to really come on (needs to improve FG%) in the Detlef way and we all know Det's 6th man history.

Bottom line, there will be options. It's not #1 or bust.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Watson would make sense there and I'd personally like to see AJ start soon, regardless if anything happens. I was looking for a place to say this, actually. I think AJ could be starting by the deadline.

Right, but if you got the #1 you'd take John Wall regardless.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

T.J. Ford and Kenyon Martin could be added to any potential deal to get salaries to work. They both have two years remaining. Of course trading Martin may defeat the whole purpose of the deal for Denver.

He'd fit right in Jimmy's system then... shoots the 3 and plays little "D".

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    Ya, they probably wouldn't do the trade, but the reason they might do it is because you need exactly what Jeff Foster brings to maybe take a run at the whole thing, which I agree with.

Jeff is very good defensively in spurts against Dirk, Duncan, Gasol, & Garnett types, imo. I mean almost every team they'll play in the playoffs has a player Jeff could help with.

So do you sacrifice a player that may or may not be your PG of the future for a guy who might give you a better chance the next two years? Which, by the way, is likely Chauncey Billups window too.

I'm not saying Denver should do it, I'm just saying there are reasons for them to consider it.

I just don't see how we make the numbers work without adding other players Foster and Lawsons salarys aren't close.

Smith and Foster's are I wouldn't want smith though. Maybe Martin & Lawson for Foster & Murphy?

It would unbalance our roster even more, but a Murphy + Foster for Martin + Lawson deal works.

I agree that it's not John Wall or bust. Personally, Evan Turner reminds me a lot of Brandon Roy, and there are quite a few athletic PF/C's that could be great Player X's.

I haven't seen Matthews play yet, or Xavier Henry.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Thev problem with this is Lawson and Foster's salaries don't even come close to matching, so who else does Denver have as a filler the Pacers would take? I don't see anyway this deal ever comes to fruitition.

Denver would be better off going after Haywood who is basically a double double guy with an expiring contract with Washington in disaster mode. Washinton really needs a PG for the future, and Lawson fills that need.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

No, I agree the salaries aren't a match, but the question I was answering is why Denver would really really like to have Foster, he's exactly the type of defender they need in the Western Conference. So much so, it might be worth dealing "potential" for him.

It's interesting, but I wonder if Jeff will be a really hot commodity right now in the Western Conference period. I hope he can get back and play soon.

For the record, I like Jeff as much as the next guy, but it would be nice for him to play for a contender and if he can bring in something nice in return, it works for everyone. I'd bring him back in two years to assistant coach or he can do something in the organization, regardless.
    Last edited by Speed; 01-11-2010 at 01:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post

BTW, I used to think Singler (Duke) was going to bust, but he's starting to really come on (needs to improve FG%) in the Detlef way and we all know Det's 6th man history.
    I agree that its not #1 or bust, but drafting Singler is beyond the pale. He plays the wrong position, and is a tall jump shooter without any exceptional athletic abilities. And his shooting has been weak. If we're lucky, we end up with Dunleavy, who we already have, and if we're not, he becomes Reddick or Morrison and is a bust, or takes years to become something.

I like Johnson much, much better, but he still plays the wrong position. I would hope that the Pacers trade up or down rather than take another 2/3.

I see Jeff retiring and not playing for Denver at all.

Smith is the only guy that sort of makes sense, but he's too much of a knucklehead for this team.

So I guess the obvious solution would be to find a team he does make sense for, and make it a 3 way deal.

Foster to Denver
    Smith to ?
    ? to Pacers

Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post

It would unbalance our roster even more, but a Murphy + Foster for Martin + Lawson deal works.

No way Denver does that deal. Denver is over the LT as it stands and taking Murphy and Foster puts them even further into the LT this year and next.

We could do Foster & Murphy for Martin & Lawson.

Then they could swing A Murphy for Ilgauskas. Give them 2 big bodys down low still plus give them cap releif at the end of the year.

We could even throw in a 2nd round pick and Cleveland might give up a first with Ilgauskas....Just a thought.

I wouldn't mind having Martin around to tutor Hans and McBob.

Just the tought of moving Murph brings a tear to my eye.

Jeff has been injured all season, why would any team even want him? He is a huge question mark for us, let alone another team wanting to trade for him. I doubt he would even pass his physical.

This fantasy of them sending us the best young PG from the last draft in a trade for him is hilarious.

It might be possible, but we would have to give up Hibbert, AJ or Rush probably.
    Last edited by PaceBalls; 01-11-2010 at 01:53 PM.