Thread: Miami and Detroit

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Miami and Detroit

Although the regular season is usually meaningless, unless your jockeying for playoff spots i cant wait to play either one of them. All of a sudden Miami gets Shaq and they are annointed ECF. Although he is dominant doesnt mean he can win with below average role players. If we do like Detroit and let Shaq get his points/rebounds and we stop everyone else there is no reason why we couldnt beat them.

OTOH Detroit should be at the top because of there championship year. I would love nothing else but to play the Pistons the first game of the season everyone healthy and ready to go. Just let it all hang out or play Detroit when we have similar records preferrably both teams having no losses. I think Detroit has a team that can win it again, but with our team being healthy we will give them a better run next season. They lost a lot with Okur im not so sure Mc Dyess still have anything left on those bad knees.

2006 WORLD CHAMPION INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

Default Re: Miami and Detroit

I can see Detroit having a lot more problems with Shaq than we do.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

How good McDyess will be is one thing, and Okur is a fine player, but how exactly did we LOSE a lot with him? Its not like we wouldnt have won in the playoffs without him last year.

Carlos Delfino ALONE will contribute more to a title run than Okur did.....

I also think people are underestimating McDyess. He's not a finesse player, he's a banger. He's also physically every big as strong as Ben and Rasheed, and he's still one of the top rebounder in the game. Even if he couldnt jump at ALL he's still very formidable.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Mood

I think for the very reason you just stated. Mc Dyess is more of a power player. Okur from what i seen was a more balanced player than Mc Dyess is. Okur gave people fits. Since McDyess injury he hasnt been the same. Oh yeah he has been the same more occuring injuries. What would happen if he got hurt again. You have no more bench. I dont claim to know about the pistons and alot about who they signed, but your bench lineup doesnt look that up to par.Okur did play a big part in helping you guys win.

I'm not really worried about Miami or Detroit.

Miami has a 1-2 punch and Jones. Lets see whoelse they get but as of now i'm not worried about them.

Detroit will give us problems but take the following into consideration. It will be hard for them to repeat because teams will be out to get you and they may have figured out ways to beat you.

So i'm not to worried about these two teams. If Dice is healthy and Shaq is the real Shaq [Along with a good Miami team.] i'll be worried but I doubt these things will happen.

Zesty

Quote Originally Posted by rommie
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not really worried about Miami or Detroit.

Detroit will give us problems but take the following into consideration. It will be hard for them to repeat because teams will be out to get you and they may have figured out ways to beat you.
    That's a pretty optimistic way to look at that, but I don't believe it. The problem with that reasoning is that Detroit won the title with defense, defense, and some more defense. The advantage of building a defense-first team is that it's much easier to be consistently good on defense than it is to be consistently good on offense. Teams might find ways to attack Detroit's D, and of course they will have success from time to time, but since they haven't lost ANYTHING defensively with Okur, and with the addition of McDyess providing only a chance for their defense to improve, I think they still have to be considered the favorites to represent the East in the Finals (even if I still believe the Pacers will be the EC champs this year).

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    How good McDyess will be is one thing, and Okur is a fine player, but how exactly did we LOSE a lot with him? Its not like we wouldnt have won in the playoffs without him last year.
    Kstat quote on Okur from earlier last season "He is the most talented big man in the east not named Jermaine O'Neal"

Kstat quote on Pistons after losing to Atlanta "Trade anyone not named Darko or Ben Wallace. I'm sick of all the nice guys that refuse to carry any weight.
    I'd take the Hawks roster over ours in a hearbeat, minus Ben."

"Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

Mood

sweabs

Quote Originally Posted by KStat
    We really don't know how much you lost from Okur. We'll see perhaps in a few years...he's still just a youngin'.

Zesty

That's a potential loss. In what he actually offered on the court last season vs. not having him this season, the loss will be minimal.

Quote Originally Posted by rscarey
    We really don't know how much you lost from Okur. We'll see perhaps in a few years...he's still just a youngin'.
    Oh, I have no doubt Okur will star in Utah, he fits their system better. My point is the team that won the title last year DID NOT NEED Okur's contributions.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

sweabs

Quote Originally Posted by rscarey
    Oh, I have no doubt Okur will star in Utah, he fits their system better. My point is the team that won the title last year DID NOT NEED Okur's contributions.
    Agreed...surprisingly

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop
    Kstat quote on Okur from earlier last season "He is the most talented big man in the east not named Jermaine O'Neal"

Kstat quote on Pistons after losing to Atlanta "Trade anyone not named Darko or Ben Wallace. I'm sick of all the nice guys that refuse to carry any weight.

Of course, the irony is we DID trade half our team for half of their roster......since they traded it for sheed, and we traded several players for him.

Keep in mind, that roster featured ratliff, rahim, terry, jackson, etc. That was a pretty talented roster, they just had no direction.

AT that point, we simply were WAY short on attitude, but only a little short on talent. Rasheed brought the attitude and toughness, which rubbed off on many of the guys, especially tayshawn. He helped them reach potential as much as any player on the team.

As for Okur, I STILL think he (was) the most talented big man in the conference. What cause his downfall was his lack of concentration and toughness. He failed in the playoffs because hed get pushed and wouldnt push back.

As far as his skills go though, he's as complete a center as you could ask for. He just doesnt bring it night in and night out. Utah's system is a much better one for him, I'm glad we replaced him with McDyess, who is a better fit for OUR system.

As I was watching the boxscores from the triple OT game vs NJ and saw that despite half the Pistons had already fouled out, Okur still wasnt getting any minutes. The Pistons didn't lose anything with him heading to Utah, but I agree with KStat that I think he should do nicely in that system.

I think its still to early to pronouce one team as the champions of the coming seasion. Detroit is the reigning champs and deserve that respect. More teams will be coming at them next season, but I dont think thats any reason to say 'omgomg shaq/wade will dominate all the east'.

Team vs 2 superstars concepts, which ever team is executing better next season will win. I'd hazard a guess that getting a team concept to run at 100% effectiveness, might be more difficult than getting 2 superstars concept to run at 100%. Even if LA had played as well as they possibly could, i think the Pistons still would have won last season. Basketball is a team sport and 5v2 isn't even close.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop

Of course, the irony is we DID trade half our team for half of their roster......since they traded it for sheed, and we traded several players for him.

Keep in mind, that roster featured ratliff, rahim, terry, jackson, etc. That was a pretty talented roster, they just had no direction.

AT that point, we simply were WAY short on attitude, but only a little short on talent. Rasheed brought the attitude and toughness, which rubbed off on many of the guys, especially tayshawn. He helped them reach potential as much as any player on the team.

As for Okur, I STILL think he (was) the most talented big man in the conference. What cause his downfall was his lack of concentration and toughness. He failed in the playoffs because hed get pushed and wouldnt push back.

As far as his skills go though, he's as complete a center as you could ask for. He just doesnt bring it night in and night out. Utah's system is a much better one for him, I'm glad we replaced him with McDyess, who is a better fit for OUR system.
    I was just having alittle fun, no mal intent meant, honest. I hadn't thought of that, you guys did trade several of your bench guys to Atlanta for Sheed. I forgot he was at Atlanta long enough for a cup of coffee.

"Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"