Thread: Foster Would Be Great Fit In Utah, Portland

Default Foster Would Be Great Fit In Utah, Portland

Eric (Indy)

With the Pacers on a bad losing streak, how soon will Bird make a move? Any chance they take McGrady's fat contract?
    Chad Ford
    (1:06 PM)

I believe them when they say they won't fire Jim O'Brien. Bird is a pretty loyal guy and I think he's far more disgusted with the pathetic effort of some of the players than he is with the coach. Two guys who have some trade value are Troy Murphy and Jeff Foster. Both have only one more year left on the contract after this one. Murphy can really spread the defense and Foster is a very good post defender. I could see the Cavs making a serious run at Murphy and a number of teams in the West challenging the Lakers make a run at Foster. A lot of those teams lack a player to guard Pau Gasol. Blazers would be a great fit. So would Jazz
    ESPN
    By Chad Ford
    http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/30108

This would be ideal for us http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=yllchzx
    Last edited by MillerTime; 01-06-2010 at 05:22 PM.
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Default Re: Foster Would Be Great Fit In Utah, Portland

Interesting. I was thinking about Portland earlier tonight. Maybe Webster and Rodriguez for Foster and I dunno a 2nd rounder?

Btw... why start a new topic and not add it to the topic about teams being interested in Murphy and Foster?

2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Rodriguez is playing for the Kings since the start of this season

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quick catch... was just checking it myself. I meant Fernandez (sp?).

Anyway that's probably too much to ask for an injured Foster anyway. Also we would do better to get atleast an end-of-season expirer if we were to make a deal.
    Last edited by Mourning; 01-06-2010 at 05:41 PM.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Heck, I'd take Rudy Fernandez.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to duke dynamite For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Take him and run away yelling No TAKEsees BACKsees

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pwee31 View Post
    Take him and run away yelling No TAKEsees BACKsees
    Yes!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Mourning View Post
    Interesting. I was thinking about Portland earlier tonight. Maybe Webster and Rodriguez for Foster and I dunno a 2nd rounder?

Btw... why start a new topic and not add it to the topic about teams being interested in Murphy and Foster?

http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?t=49359

yeah heres one i started on Christmas Day last year, guess i should change my topic title up........maybe it will get looked at since the topic is being kicked around now........but not too much then

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    I read some where (a while ago) that Portland turned down a straight-up deal for Lee for Rudy Fernandez. I highly doubt they would want to move Fernandez for Foster (let along add Webster).

http://bucketsoverbroadway.com/2009/09/18/rudy-for-lee/
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

I know this goes against the grain on this board and I don't mean to offend anyone. I just don't understand the love for tired old threads on here unless you need to prove a point. I like to look for new news or topics. I don't like to slog through 50 pages of an old thread to find something new. I think threads over 3 pages long are a pain in the butt. Just my opinion, that's all I'm going to say. If you disagree, I respect your opinion.

Sports Logo

I would assume that some "Foster for Expiring Contracts" trade with the Jazz or Blazers would be a "last ditch option" assuming that TPTB cannot find any deal to move Murphy, Ford or Dunleavy for some 2009-2010 Expiring Contract.

If it came to a "Foster for Expiring Contracts" trade, the only one that makes satisfy that for the Pacers would start with:

1 ) For the Blazers : Foster+Diener for Outlaw+Blake
    2 ) For the Jazz : Foster for Korver

It would all come down to which Team could give up some "sweetner" to get Foster....which I would guess would turn out to either be $$$ or future draft picks ( probably a 2nd rounder ). The problem with any deal is that we can't send out more then we take back in since we are at the limit with 15 Players.

Keep in mind, I'm not very optimistic that we will trade Murphy, Ford or Dunleavy before the 2009-2010 Trade Deadline ( something that I think is a MUST over the next month ).....that's why I'm guessing that we will likely be looking at doing a Salary Dump involving Foster. Unfortunately, this seems like the best that I can figure out.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

We would be backed with good wingmen if we were to get Fernandez.

In any trade we make for a player in return, I see us getting a big man.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    I would assume that some "Foster for Expiring Contracts" trade with the Jazz or Blazers would be a "last ditch option" assuming that TPTB cannot find any deal to move Murphy, Ford or Dunleavy for some 2009-2010 Expiring Contract.

If it came to a "Foster for Expiring Contracts" trade, the only one that makes satisfy that for the Pacers would start with:

1 ) For the Blazers : Foster+Diener for Outlaw+Blake
    2 ) For the Jazz : Foster for Korver

It would all come down to which Team could give up some "sweetner" to get Foster....which I would guess would turn out to either be $$$ or future draft picks ( probably a 2nd rounder ). The problem with any deal is that we can't send out more then we take back in since we are at the limit with 15 Players.

Keep in mind, I'm not very optimistic that we will trade Murphy, Ford or Dunleavy before the 2009-2010 Trade Deadline ( something that I think is a MUST over the next month ).....that's why I'm guessing that we will likely be looking at doing a Salary Dump involving Foster. Unfortunately, this seems like the best that I can figure out.
    It's not a must for the team to dump salary until the trade deadline next year. They are already under this years tax, but the earlier you get under the tax the better.

I think we will be better off in the long run to keep who we got right now. I really want a good shot at John Wall, he's going to be a superstar. And even if we miss on Wall we could likely get the needed front court guy to go along with Hands and Hibbert.

PS. I see all this smoke, but I don't think Foster is going anywhere. If we make a trade I think it will probably be Murphy for Z, then we would buy Z out.
    Last edited by Will Galen; 01-06-2010 at 09:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    It's not a must for the team to dump salary until the trade deadline next year. They are already under this years tax, but the earlier you get under the tax the better.

I think we will be better off in the long run to keep who we got right now. I really want a good shot at John Wall, he's going to be a superstar. And even if we miss on Wall we could likely get the needed front court guy to go along with Hands and Hibbert.

PS. I see all this smoke, but I don't think Foster is going anywhere. If we make a trade I think it will probably be Murphy for Z, then we would buy Z out.
    I agree, I think bird promised Foster a Pacer's retirement party with the extension. Otherwise you would have traded him to a contender for some young talent long ago before the 3 year extension.

I agree about Foster, I think there is loyalty to be considered in the equation. And I don't think they would use Foster in a trade unless they really had to. But then again, this is a business. Anything can happen and anyone can get traded.

if foster retired with the pacers, would we retire his number for simply being awesome? :P

We could at least give him a Honda Civic during a post game retirement celebration.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to PaceBalls For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post

You are right, technically we don't have to wait till next year's trade deadline.

count55 will explain it better in 2 sentences then I will say in 2 paragraphs.....but there are very strong and compelling reasons to make a move in the next month as opposed to next season's Trade deadline.

As you said, it's more optimal to get under the LT as early as possible. IMHO....the problem is that once you pass the 2009-2010 trade deadline and the 2010-2011 Salary is committed to your books and becomes assets that we'd have to move to simply get under the LT threshold and we will be entering the same territory that Nuggets were last season and the Jazz are this season where they had to include sweetner to dump salary.

Why include sweetner for a quality player like Ford, Murphy, Dunleavy or Foster that has Expiring Contracts? Cuz any Team that could simply absorb their Salary without sending anything back ( something that we will be looking for next season if we don't act now ) knows that we will have our backs against the wall where WE MUST make a move to avoid paying the LT. Knowing this....any Team far enough under the Cap will have an asking price that we simply cannot afford but MUST PAY ( prospect or draft picks ) just to get out from under the LT. The Nuggets lost a Starting quality Player like Camby for nothing and the Jazz had to include a prospect like Maynor just to dump Harpring. How much do you think we'd lose in order to dump Murphy or Ford next season when we have 12 Players on our books and we haven't even signed our 2010 Draft pick yet? If we can't find a Team to deal with that could send us back no Salary....that would mean that we'd have to deal with one that is over the Salary Cap but can only send back the comprable sized contracts 25% less then what we send out. This won't help us at all since we need to clear at least $6 to 7 mil in 2010-2011 Salary just to get under the likely LT.

I'm with most of you....I really hope and that the Cavs are desperate enough to take Murphy for Big Z. But I'm not holding my breath. As I said....Foster for a Salary Dump in the next month is a last resort option...I'm hoping that it doesn't come to that cuz I really do not want to move him.....but the truth is that he's likely the easiest player in the Big 4 Contracts to move cuz of the $$$ owed to him and his skillset.
    Last edited by CableKC; 01-07-2010 at 02:15 AM.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. And Jeff Foster is not a bird. Expiring contracts are.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    I agree, I think bird promised Foster a Pacer's retirement party with the extension. Otherwise you would have traded him to a contender for some young talent long ago before the 3 year extension.
    If the Pacers FO knew what they know now of the current financial / SalaryCap situation that we are in now 3 years ago....I think that they would have reconsidered extending Foster.

I'm not saying that he hasn't earned it and that I would not want him on the Team.....I'm just saying that there were unforeseen circumstances since the extension ( namely the poor financial situation the Owners are in with the Team over the last 2 years ) that would likely give the FO some pause as to whether it was a good idea ( from a financial POV ) to have extended Foster in the first place.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDC View Post
    A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. And Jeff Foster is not a bird. Expiring contracts are.
    Sorry, but I never understood that expression. Can you clarify?

Are you saying that an Expiring Contract is worth more then Jeff now?

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Sorry, but I never understood that expression. Can you clarify?

Are you saying that an Expiring Contract is worth more then Jeff now?
    It's like don't count your chickens before they're hatched.

With respect to Foster (or other guys we want to be rid of), it means if you can be rid of them, do it now. Don't just assume you can always do it and something magical and wonderful is going to come along in the future. Because maybe it won't, and then you're stuck paying an extra $7M or $12M for a guy that's no help at all. Maybe he gets hurt, or his play declines, or the teams that need him satisfy their need for him some other way.

Like replacing their Jeff Foster posters:

with Freddie Mercury Posters:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDC View Post
    Like replacing their Jeff Foster posters:

with Freddie Mercury Posters:
    Gosh, thanks, I have to go claw my eyes out now.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh