Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feed the big fella (Mike Wells) - mentions Seth

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Feed the big fella (Mike Wells) - mentions Seth

http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsi..._big_fe_1.html

Feed the big fella
    Posted by Mike Wells

THE ` HOUSE - Roy Hibbert could have easily sat at his locker and gloated to the media about how he got the upper hand against Orlando All-Star center Dwight Howard in the Pacers' (surprising) seven-point victory over the Magic.

I wouldn't have blamed him if he did because it's not often that you get the best of a player of Howard's caliber.

That wasn't the big fella, though.

Hibbert sat surrounded by a handful of media folks and talked about how he wants to continue to get better.

"I'm just trying to be consistent," the second-year center said. "I can't have games where I play well against one guy and then two or three games where I don't play well. I have to be able to do it all the time and keep pushing myself. My teammates are pushing me."

That's what you like to hear from a young player like Hibbert when you think about the big picture.

Hibbert doesn't want to settle.

He'll have games where he struggles against some of the more athletic big men in the league, but at the same time, he'll continue to push himself to get better.

My guy Sunshine was pleading for me to mention that he told me before hand that Hibbert would have a good game against Howard.

Hibbert can score with either hand and he's doing a much better job of reading the defense and finding his teammates cutting to the basket.

"I've been working on scoring with my left and right, that gives me an advantage," he said. "I'm also seeing the court. I think when guys cut and move I can get them passes."

Mike Dunleavy said it best about what Hibbert can do in the post.

"He's a load down there," Dunleavy said. "If you're going to play behind him, I don't care who you are, he's 7-2, he's going to score. He's really got his confidence up and he's got his moves down.

"With the personnel we have right now, a lot of our guys out, he's a great option and it's working for us, so we're going to keep going to him."

Naptown Seth will be the guest blogger for Friday's game against the Minnesota Timberwolves.

Seth was the first one to say that the Pacers would end their losing streak against Minnesota last week.

Seth, who was nice enough to come up and introduce himself to me after the Orlando game, said he's going to blog about the state of the team.

We'll do more of these during the season.

twitter.com/wells222
    Any pool on how many words in Seth will mention certain topics?
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Feed the big fella (Mike Wells) - mentions Seth

Yes, feed it to Hungry Hungry Hibbert!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to duke dynamite For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Dunleavy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "With the personnel we have right now, a lot of our guys out, he's a great option and it's working for us, so we're going to keep going to him."
    Translated: When the guys out come back, Roy suddenly doesn't become a great option and we'll stop going to him.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

Did Seth really predict we'd end our losing streak against the mighty Timberwolves? Pretty bold prediction.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    Translated: When the guys out come back, Roy suddenly doesn't become a great option and we'll stop going to him.

unfortunately, so true...
    Passion, Pride, Playoffs, Pacers

Congrats, Seth.

Try not to make all of Indianapolis want to .

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Congrats, Seth.

Try not to make all of Indianapolis want to .
    Don't worry, Kravitz done most of them in this morning.

Hibbert needs his Dale Davis, just like Smits needed Dale Davis. As much as I like Hansbrough and as good as I think he'll be, not sure he is the answer alongside of Roy.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

One hopes Dun means that when certain players return we'll have more options so feeding Roy won't be the only way to win.

After all, some teams have centers who can shut Roy off of that hook shut by pushing him away from the basket or by playing bigger (Roy plays like he is a lot smaller than 7' 2"). Against those guys, you're a stubborn as you think JOB is if you keep going to Roy anyway. You have to have more than one way to score.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"

What's Indy Star Style Guide say about double and triple line breaks?
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

16. The Following User Says Thank You to JayRedd For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Hibbert needs his Dale Davis, just like Smits needed Dale Davis. As much as I like Hansbrough and as good as I think he'll be, not sure he is the answer alongside of Roy.
    I'd argue Tyler is more along the lines of Antonio. As for finding another Dale Davis - Emeka Okafor is in the same mold and could possibly be had if management thinks he's worth his salary.

Someone "like Dale Davis" is a tall order.

But Tyler has the potential to be a poor man's Dale, I believe.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    What's Indy Star Style Guide say about double and triple line breaks?
    They are against them - "Don't do Drugs!!!"
    then again...
    If you are breaking a line to get the open urinal to avoid p***ing youeself, then it's OK.
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    One hopes Dun means that when certain players return we'll have more options so feeding Roy won't be the only way to win.

After all, some teams have centers who can shut Roy off of that hook shut by pushing him away from the basket or by playing bigger (Roy plays like he is a lot smaller than 7' 2"). Against those guys, you're a stubborn as you think JOB is if you keep going to Roy anyway. You have to have more than one way to score.
    Um, you mean other than Dwight Howard?

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If that ends up being true, I'm going to throw up.

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Um, you mean other than Dwight Howard?
    Dwight was pushing him out but he was not able to reach up and smother the hook shot. That's the reason Roy does well against him offensively.
    BillS

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Dwight was pushing him out but he was not able to reach up and smother the hook shot. That's the reason Roy does well against him offensively.
    Not to be argumentative but if Dwight can't rise up and get a shot who in this league (if not world) can?

What I'm getting at is that Dwight is exactly the player you are describing. He is stong and tall and can jump higher than almost anyone.

Hmmmm faster than a speeding bullet, more powerfull than a locamotive able to leap tall buildings in a single bound.....I've heard that somewhere before.

On nights like this when Roy has it going I am going out on a limb and saying that there are very few players who can stop him. Now you can state that Howard had an off game due to foul trouble and I can't disagree. But I've seen Roy get it going enough this year to believe that this was not an anomoly.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Well, he smoked Duncan and Dwight. Who else out there is any better defensively?

I think we are getting a little too excited. Even if we assume what some of you are saying is correct, teams will adjust, they will start double teaming, digging down, faking double teams, fronting him more. There is a long way to go before we can make some of these pronouncements

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    Did Seth really predict we'd end our losing streak against the mighty Timberwolves? Pretty bold prediction.
    Yep. Check the comments on Wells post around the 27th or so when he mentioned the blog contest. I was the first response and said Minny due to scheduling for both teams (us at home with rest, them with lots of games and travel).

On Roy's height on the hook - it was frustrating Dwight quite a bit. On the other end Dwight started trying to really bang Roy and was moving him a good couple of feet each hit. Roy needs to add a chair pull there because he could have dropped Dwight easily. I agree that Dwight is a guy that can go get that shot, and frankly Roy already spent time going against one of the biggest, most capable shot blockers around in Thabeet.

Howard caught a ton of crap from fans, more than any I've yet heard, but I have to say he was pretty good spirited about it.

The game was rowdy, all the fans that got upgraded to fill the LL was part of it, the game was physical which got people going too, and of course it was close with lots of fouls and techs. By far the best game of the year I've been too. I don't mean "biggest win" or because of beating the Magic. I'm talking quality of experience, it was nuts.

Got a lot of great photos though. Give me time to Pbucket tonight and post them. No cheerleaders, I'm blocked by the visitor's bench at timeouts (they all stand in the way).
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 01-06-2010 at 04:02 PM.

Sports Logo

Well, he smoked Duncan and Dwight. Who else out there is any better defensively?
    David Lee.

Roy's getting better and smarter. The guys who CAN knock him off his spot are going to have more trouble doing it. Kendrick Perkins, Brendan Heywoode, those types.

Hopefully Roy is understanding, he really can't be stopped, but the same move in the same situation won't work against all players. I see him getting this in a big way.

Example, last night Howard had foul trouble in the second half, on one move Roy took two hard dribbles base line almost right at Howard and put in a little half hook on the other side of the rim.

Not a move against a power player in the first quarter, but one against him with 4 fouls in the second half. Smart!

Two things he'll start to have to improve on that he hasn't really seen much of yet.

-Double team-both pre and post dribble

-Fronting

Orlando tried both and were sucessful at times. All of this working is predicated on three things really.

-An offense designed to make it a consistent point to get him the ball in the low post.

-Roy working hard, but smart to get position.

-his teammates working hard and smart to get him the ball or get open if he's double teamed.

The next step in year 3 and 4 is consistency.
    Last edited by Speed; 01-06-2010 at 04:12 PM.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

Mood

I think we are getting a little too excited. Even if we assume what some of you are saying is correct, teams will adjust, they will start double teaming, digging down, faking double teams, fronting him more. There is a long way to go before we can make some of these pronouncements
    I can't wait for those double teams to come! Anthem, who was it that said... "Exactly how many times have you seen Hibbert defeat a double team?". I hope we will start to find out. It is progress. I pray to god that JOB doesn't bench Hibbert next game.

Well that's why the offense should revolve around him.

He's efficient when scoring, and he's a good passer when he's double teamed.

So yes, other people need to be able to score, but running your offense through Roy is not a bad idea.

I love Hibbert but I think the one thing he needs to learn how to do is go up strong. I don't know how many times I've seen him try to go up and under or attempt a finesse lay-up around a guy in his way. He needs to get that nasty streak down low and try to dunk on guys when he's under the basket. If nothing else he'll get to the line more that way and I don't mind that.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JBones19 For This Useful Post: