Thread: Spoke with Slick before T-Wolves Game...

Default Spoke with Slick before T-Wolves Game...

I was on the bottom level of Conseco with a buddy of mine smoking a ciggarette 10 minutes before tip off and noticed Slick Lenoard through the glass. My friend tapped on the glass and waved at him, Slick kindly waved back, which was pretty cool. Seconds later he started walking our way and came outside to smoke a ciggarette. I had no idea Slick smoked? He lit up a Winston 100. My freind and I talked hoosiers basketball along with the Pacers. He told us that AJ Price would be the first PG off the bench, which he was. He also said they will land a top 5 pick in June's draft. We talked for about 5 mintues during our smoke and right after he was done he lit up another one....I couldn't leave Slick hanging so I lit up another one even though I really didn't want to...I was pretty drunk at the time so I dont remember all that much. It was pretty cool so I thought I'd share it with you. PS I've been reading your guys' posts for years now and just figured out I can post too...looking forward to talking to you all soon. Go Pacers

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to I Love P For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Spoke with Slick before T-Wolves Game...

Quote Originally Posted by Bender View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was on the bottom level of Conseco with a buddy of mine smoking a ciggarette 10 minutes before tip off and noticed Slick Lenoard through the glass. My friend tapped on the glass and waved at him, Slick kindly waved back, which was pretty cool. Seconds later he started walking our way and came outside to smoke a ciggarette. I had no idea Slick smoked? He lit up a Winston 100. My freind and I talked hoosiers basketball along with the Pacers. He told us that AJ Price would be the first PG off the bench, which he was. He also said they will land a top 5 pick in June's draft. We talked for about 5 mintues during our smoke and right after he was done he lit up another one....I couldn't leave Slick hanging so I lit up another one even though I really didn't want to...I was pretty drunk at the time so I dont remember all that much. It was pretty cool so I thought I'd share it with you. PS I've been reading your guys' posts for years now and just figured out I can post too...looking forward to talking to you all soon. Go Pacers
    What does he mean by this? Nobody can be sure of this. Either he has no faith in this team winning more than 30 games or he means that we will not take no for an answer on acquiring one.

The way he said it made me think he thought we would have a bottom 5 record in the NBA. Just like I've told a few of my friends who were so excited about the win tonight, Friday starts another losing streak at Minnesota which isn't on TV, nor is Saturday night's game at OKC. Thank God for League Pass.

Sports Logo

Yeah...I really have no idea what to think about that Top 5 draft pick comment. I'm guessing that he's less of a "mouth piece" for the Pacers then Brunner is ( and therefore towing the company line )....and he always seems to speak his mind....so maybe he's just being honest about his assessment of the team.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Slick was making a conversation, IMO. Nothing more, nothing less.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

That must have felt like a real honor being in the presence of such a living legend
    as Slick, and being able to chit-chat with him even briefly.

While it really is none of my business, it does sort of sadden me to know Slick is
    compromising his health by smoking which he's probably done for many decades.

I've had the pleasure of chatting with Slick a few times through the years, at home and away games. I live in the Atlanta area and talked to him at the last two games here. He is always a blast to talk to, especially when I bring up the "good old days". During the game here at the end of last year we were talking after the game near his broadcast location when my mom (lives in Columbus, IN) called my daughter's cell phone to tell her she had seen us on TV. I asked Slick if he'd say Hi to her so my daughter held her phone up to Slick's and he said "Hi Diana, Slick Leonard here, how ya doing?". She thought I was playing one of my jokes and said, "Yeah Right"... He tried to convince her and they talked for another minute or so, and she still didn't believe it was Slick. When my daughter took back the phone I was still talking to Slick I heard my daughter say "Gramma, it really was Slick!".. Anyway, later she felt really stupid when she realized we weren't kidding, and when I talked to him at this year's opener here I told him that she felt bad and we both had a chuckle about it.. Probably not that interesting of a story, but it is another example of great Slick is!

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to threein73 For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bender View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Welcome to the board.

Be careful on the road, but I don't know of any law against drunk posting.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Slick has always smoked like a chimney. Imagine how good some of those ABA and NBA teams would have been if so many players didn't smoke.

One of my favorite Slick tales is from the 93-94 season ECF (I think) where he had to step away from the broadcast table and go have a smoke because he was so nervous about how the team was playing. The Pacers are still such a major part of who he is.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

One thing I love about the radio team is that it seems like Mark and Slick are a bit more free to be critical of players or the team. It's refreshing.

No pun intended, we don't want smoke blown up our rears. I can see if something isn't working, and it's nice to know that someone involved with the team acknowledges it as well. Of course I don't want a mindless critic like Kravitz either.