Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 144

Thread: Postgame: Pacers beat the Magic

  1. #51

    Default Re: Postgame: Pacers beat the Magic

    UGH, League Pass changed the game channel at some point today. As of this morning it was on channel 714.

    I've now missed (apparently) the 2 best Pacers games of the past 12 months: this one and the last game of the season vs. the Bucks.

    Glad to hear they played well. The statlines look pretty good for a couple player, and the game thread seemed pretty positive overall. Very nice...the Magic are a huge matchup problem for us.
    Last edited by imawhat; 01-05-2010 at 10:24 PM.

  2. #52
    Member owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,232

    Default Re: Postgame: Pacers beat the Magic

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    how many of these players played in the 5 game streak, Jones, Watson and Roy. . Head didn't play much, Mike didn't play at all. Seems like you are just grouping all good games into the 5 games streak, so now it is the 7 wins separate from the other games.

    Pacers played very well tonight, probably the best game of the season
    Along with the ones you mentioned if they had played some of the other reserves we are seeing it might have been a 7 or 8 game win streak. I think the point being that
    the players who are currently playing are better defenders and team players and just have
    better chemistry.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to owl For This Useful Post:


  4. #53
    Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    In the Washington DC area
    Posts
    4,302
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Postgame: Pacers beat the Magic

    Roy didn't get called on some stuff he normally gets caught with, methinks.

    And how many times did Earl jump up in the air with the ball and not have someone to pass to? Guess he is JJack's heir apparent.

    AJ didn't look good but didn't look bad for a rook.

    Rush looked good and will look better when he's playing at SG and not having an athletic, long Pietrus on him at SF.

    Barnes should have been thrown out of the game for that throw down of Roy. Hopefully the league takes notice and issues some kind of suspension. Roy really could have been hurt on that.

    I was holding my breath for the entire fourth, but good job Pacers.

  5. #54
    A happy Roy is a good Roy DaveP63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Farmerstucky
    Posts
    1,228

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Postgame: Pacers beat the Magic

    I foresee a day when Head and his 20 points are put back on the end of the bench with McRoberts and Roy so we can play 5 smurfs who shoot contested threes. Maybe I'm just being cynical...
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...nce-stephenson
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetime’s worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:


  7. #55
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,767

    Default Re: Postgame: Pacers beat the Magic

    Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Head was a factor in the win streak.

    Dunleavy was not so good tonight, so he doesn't help your argument.

    You are more stubborn than Jim O'Stubborn.
    I just don't know how you can include games that are occurring two months later "into the streak' and act like it is all one in the same. this is not nearly the same team as it was back in November.

    Head is playing very well, he knows how to play.

    Here are his stats for the 5 games in November that we will never forget
    Mins - 17, 0, 18, 19, 11. Pts - 3, 2, 4, 2

  8. #56

    Default Re: Postgame: Pacers beat the Magic

    Quote Originally Posted by QuickRelease View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think Head has been good as the starting 2. I really like him there.
    I think Head is good to have out there when Danny isn't, but I really don't like him as a starter. He is good for where we are at now because he has the guts to take a shot and is a decent shooter, but he calls his number alot and misses guys who are open in preference of his own shot. He is the opposite of Brandon. Brandon plays solid D and only takes shots when he is in rhythm or wide open, and even then will pass first sometimes. Luther isnt that great of a defender, but he will jack up the shots with abandon.

  9. #57
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    15,237

    Default Re: Postgame: Pacers beat the Magic

    Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...the players who are currently playing are better defenders and team players and just have
    better chemistry.
    ^This. I think these particular players like playing together and wouldn't mind Granger and Hans coming back in the mix. In fact, I think the moves the Pacers are making are right in line with what I want. But it will be very interesting when Troy returns because a decision will need to be made.

    If Troy is not traded, I think the decision will be to put him back in the starting lineup and you will see Roy's season go down the tubes. JMHO.

  10. #58

    Default Re: Postgame: Pacers beat the Magic

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I just don't know how you can include games that are occurring two months later "into the streak' and act like it is all one in the same. this is not nearly the same team as it was back in November.

    Head is playing very well, he knows how to play.

    Here are his stats for the 5 games in November that we will never forget
    Mins - 17, 0, 18, 19, 11. Pts - 3, 2, 4, 2
    Listen, all people mean by "play the rotation of the five game win streak"
    is

    "don't play Murphy."

    And Indiana is 7-3 without him, including the five game win streak.

    I'm not sure how the team feels about playing with Murphy. Seems clear that quite a few players wanted to play with Price and Watson over Ford.

    Honestly, I think playing Murphy would be fine, if Murphy was limited in minutes. And then when Granger comes back, have a lineup of.

    Watson/Price
    Head/Rush
    Jones/Dun
    Granger/Hans
    Hibbert/Solo

    Granted, if Dun keeps playing the way he has been *although he was better tonight* you could mix around Head/Rush/Jones and Granger at the 2 or 3.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:


  12. #59

    Default Re: Postgame: Pacers beat the Magic

    Quote Originally Posted by Thingfish View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think Head is good to have out there when Danny isn't, but I really don't like him as a starter. He is good for where we are at now because he has the guts to take a shot and is a decent shooter, but he calls his number alot and misses guys who are open in preference of his own shot. He is the opposite of Brandon. Brandon plays solid D and only takes shots when he is in rhythm or wide open, and even then will pass first sometimes. Luther isnt that great of a defender, but he will jack up the shots with abandon.
    I think the Pacer's would be better off having
    Price and Rush together as a backcourt and Watson and Head.
    Watson and Rush might be too passive at times. Head and Price could work, but I think Rush and Price are a better match.

  13. #60
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,767

    Default Re: Postgame: Pacers beat the Magic

    Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Listen, all people mean by "play the rotation of the five game win streak"
    is

    "don't play Murphy."

    And Indiana is 7-3 without him, including the five game win streak.
    It would have made things a lot easier if they had just said that.

    Although I do think it is fair to look at the other variables in comparing games Murph played vs games he didn't play

    Of course I could turn this whole thing upside down and suggest that JOB is a great coach in the 5 game winning streak and in the two wins this week

  14. #61
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,082

    Default Re: Postgame: Pacers beat the Magic

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I just don't know how you can include games that are occurring two months later "into the streak' and act like it is all one in the same. this is not nearly the same team as it was back in November.

    Head is playing very well, he knows how to play.

    Here are his stats for the 5 games in November that we will never forget
    Mins - 17, 0, 18, 19, 11. Pts - 3, 2, 4, 2
    The "win streak" formula is heavy minutes for:

    Hibbert
    Watson
    Solo
    Rush
    Dahntay


    After the win streak, Dahntay's minutes were cut.

    After the win streak, Solo hit the bench.

    After the win streak, Hibbert got yanked quickly and his minutes were reduced.

    After the win streak, TJ started again (no TJ wasn't that big of a factor in the win streak. I disagree with your arguments.)

    No, the recent two out of three victories are not the EXACT same players. But, generally, it's a very similar line up. You know it. But for some reason you are being Buck O'Stubborn.
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:


  16. #62
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    15,237

    Default Re: Postgame: Pacers beat the Magic

    Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Listen, all people mean by "play the rotation of the five game win streak"
    is

    "don't play Murphy."

    And Indiana is 7-3 without him, including the five game win streak.

    I'm not sure how the team feels about playing with Murphy. Seems clear that quite a few players wanted to play with Price and Watson over Ford.

    Honestly, I think playing Murphy would be fine, if Murphy was limited in minutes. And then when Granger comes back, have a lineup of.

    Watson/Price
    Head/Rush
    Jones/Dun
    Granger/Hans
    Hibbert/Solo

    Granted, if Dun keeps playing the way he has been *although he was better tonight* you could mix around Head/Rush/Jones and Granger at the 2 or 3.
    Well said. You might also add that Troy has the worst plus-minus of any Pacer this season and we were way above .500 last year without him available.

    BTW, we have an opening for Executive Editor for the 5 game win streak club. You seem to have exceptional writing skills, including good content. If interested, send your resume to benchmurphy@victory.com.

  17. #63
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Evansville, IN
    Posts
    1,078

    Default Re: Postgame: Pacers beat the Magic

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ^This. I think these particular players like playing together and wouldn't mind Granger and Hans coming back in the mix. In fact, I think the moves the Pacers are making are right in line with what I want. But it will be very interesting when Troy returns because a decision will need to be made.

    If Troy is not traded, I think the decision will be to put him back in the starting lineup and you will see Roy's season go down the tubes. JMHO.
    I've been beating this dead horse for weeks now (Murphy).

    I agree 110%, Danny and Hans should gel very well with the current unit. Danny at the 4 would be ideal. Bring Dun off the bench.

    I will be frustrated beyone belief if Murphy is thrown back into the lineup. Go pull the boxscores - Hibbert is a dud when playing with Murphy. Our team is downright awful to boot. JOB can't be that stupid, can he?

    I hope Larry forces his hand and makes a trade. I would trade Murphy TODAY for a 2011 expiring D- bench player, don't even need a pick. Hell, I may even throw in a 2nd rounder just to get him off this roster. His suckiness is infectious on this team.

  18. #64

    Default Re: Postgame: Pacers beat the Magic

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It would have made things a lot easier if they had just said that.

    Although I do think it is fair to look at the other variables in comparing games Murph played vs games he didn't play

    Of course I could turn this whole thing upside down and suggest that JOB is a great coach in the 5 game winning streak and in the two wins this week
    I'd be curious to hear that.

    The argument is that we should go back to the style and lack of certain players to win games.

    There are different possible combinations with players. Not so much with just one coach.

  19. #65
    On the Vogel Wagon gummy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    3,924
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Postgame: Pacers beat the Magic

    Quote Originally Posted by purdue101 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    I hope Larry forces his hand and makes a trade. I would trade Murphy TODAY for a 2011 expiring D- bench player, don't even need a pick. Hell, I may even throw in a 2nd rounder just to get him off this roster. His suckiness is infectious on this team.
    I'm not gonna cry by any means if Murph is moved, but we ought to be able to get a little more for him than that. Also, I think Murph's shooting could be a valuable asset in 15 or so minutes off the bench. The guy does have skills and could conceivably be used in a way that masks his defensive shortcomings. My problem is not so much with Troy Murphy but with JOB for playing him 30+ min per game, especially when it is clear that his shot is often off in the 4th quarter because his legs are tired by then.
    Last edited by gummy; 01-05-2010 at 10:48 PM.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

    "Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

    Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

  20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gummy For This Useful Post:


  21. #66
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,767

    Default Re: Postgame: Pacers beat the Magic

    Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The "win streak" formula is heavy minutes for:

    Hibbert
    Watson
    Solo
    Rush
    Dahntay


    After the win streak, Dahntay's minutes were cut.

    After the win streak, Solo hit the bench.

    After the win streak, Hibbert got yanked quickly and his minutes were reduced.

    After the win streak, TJ started again (no TJ wasn't that big of a factor in the win streak. I disagree with your arguments.)

    No, the recent two out of three victories are not the EXACT same players. But, generally, it's a very similar line up. You know it. But for some reason you are being Buck O'Stubborn.
    I know most are tired of the discussion of the "5-games streak" but for the record, I have not started 1 thread with a topic even remotely resembling anything to do with the 5 games played in November. I was more than willing to drop the whole topic months ago, then weeks ago, then a week ago, then a few days ago, and then I figured surely this topic would die out surely it would afterall this is a mostly different group of players from those who played key roles in November.

    Back to your post. You now want me to go back through each box scores for the games after the streak? maybe tomorrow. The only similar lineup factor is Murphy is out, other than that there are very few similarities.

    sorry guys, blame me for keeping this going, but there are times I can't just let posts go unchallenged when I think they are just wrong

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:


  23. #67
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Evansville, IN
    Posts
    1,078

    Default Re: Postgame: Pacers beat the Magic

    Quote Originally Posted by gummy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not gonna cry by any means if Murph is moved, but we ought to be able to get a little more for him than that. Also, I think Murph's shooting could be a valuable asset in 15 or so minutes off the bench. The guy does have skills and could conceivably be used in a way that masks his defensive shortcomings. My problem is not so much with Troy Murphy but with JOB for playing him 30+ min per game, especially when it is clear that his shot is often off in the 4th quarter because his legs are tired by then.
    I think I just value Murphy less than anyone else on this board. I watch a lot of NBA basketball and it's plain as day to me that this team is completely out of synch with him on the court.........which is proven by the +/- and W/L.

    I pray everynight that Ferry gives us Z.

  24. #68
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,082

    Default Re: Postgame: Pacers beat the Magic

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Of course I could turn this whole thing upside down and suggest that JOB is a great coach in the 5 game winning streak and in the two wins this week
    I think JOB has done some good things.

    I don't think he's a terrible coach. I think he's a decent coach with a couple of very big, glaring blind spots.

    One of those is missing the fact that certain players on the floor bring a much greater winning percentage. Yes, when he has those players on the floor, he has done some nice coaching.
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  25. #69

    Default Re: Postgame: Pacers beat the Magic

    UB,
    It's too late to stop it now anyway. The 5 game win streak has reached mythical levels just because of how badly things have gone since then, and of course your stubborn opposition to join our new religion.

  26. #70
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,767

    Default Re: Postgame: Pacers beat the Magic

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well said. You might also add that Troy has the worst plus-minus of any Pacer this season and we were way above .500 last year without him available.
    the sad thing is I don't like Murphy, never have I was one of the first to cry about his horible defense when we acquired him, still have nightmares of him trying to guard Rasheed Wallace.

    What was the Pacers record without Murphy last season? I do know he missed 9 games.

  27. #71
    Member jeffg-body's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Anderson, IN
    Posts
    3,443
    Mood

    Default Re: Postgame: Pacers beat the Magic

    Nice game both ways tonight. I was impressed with all of the youngsters and their poise. Roy was huge, the man tonight. Brandon had that look of confidence again, AJ looked good and was under control, and McBob came in to play the energizer bunny role from time to time. All in all it was a great game to watch and root for our young guns. A few more draft picks and getting a quality FA in the next few years will make this team special again.

  28. #72
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,609

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Postgame: Pacers beat the Magic

    Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Mark Boyle just said it:

    "The Pacers are 7-3 in games Murphy sits out."

    .
    If we used Murphy like a PF and coupled him with a more Athletic Big Man ( McRoberts, Solo or Foster ) that can properly defend the interior....while not overexerting him by playing him too many minutes.....instead of actually overusing him as a Center where he's the biggest Player out there manning/defending the paint and opposing Big Man......I'd be okay with him in the lineup. I guess the main thing is that he's still a better scoring option then any other Big Man ( other then Hungry Hungry Hibbert, of course ). We're just using him the wrong way IMHO.
    Last edited by CableKC; 01-05-2010 at 11:20 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  29. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:


  30. #73
    Gold Stagger Hoop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Greenwood
    Posts
    4,525
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Postgame: Pacers beat the Magic

    Hibbert with 3 out of 4 games over 20 pts and 2 new career highs!!!
    Hibbert has his faults, like every other player, but is there any question that he is OUR best center.

    I hope once and for all JOB can see this and he never benches him again for so called "bad" matchups. Even in the disastrous New York game were David Lee is one of the worst match ups possible, Roy managed to at least be a factor with 7 assists and 0 turnovers.

  31. #74
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Postgame: Pacers beat the Magic

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I hope and pray that JOB stays with this same starting team + Danny for the rest of the season.......
    With Danny starting in the place of who? Dunleavy or Jones?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  32. #75
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Evansville, IN
    Posts
    1,078

    Default Re: Postgame: Pacers beat the Magic

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    the sad thing is I don't like Murphy, never have I was one of the first to cry about his horible defense when we acquired him, still have nightmares of him trying to guard Rasheed Wallace.

    What was the Pacers record without Murphy last season? I do know he missed 9 games.
    Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If we used Murphy like a PF and coupled him with a more Athletic Big Man ( McRoberts, Solo or Foster ) that can properly defend the interior....instead of actually being used as a Center where he's the biggest Player out there manning the paint......I'd be okay with him in the lineup. I guess the main thing is that he's still a better scoring option then any other Big Man ( other then Hungry Hungry Hibbert, of course ). We're just using him the wrong way IMHO.
    The problem is Murphy is built like a PF with no PF game. He's soft on defense and his post game is obsolete. I haven't seen Troy post up once all year. He's a one trick pony - 6'11" shooter with diminshed supporting skill.

    Danny should be our PF until Hans is ready. Danny is more versatile on offense. It's not like we lose anything on D. We just need to make sure that Rush is in that lineup as he is a long wing who will rebound.

  33. The Following User Says Thank You to purdue101 For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. Pacers at Magic Postgame thread
    By Bball in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 116
    Last Post: 01-29-2009, 09:50 AM
  2. Nickname the Pacers
    By Speed in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 01-09-2009, 10:56 PM
  3. J.J. to the Pacers, Not a Redickulous Thought!
    By FerengiMiller in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 110
    Last Post: 07-19-2008, 01:08 AM
  4. A fan recaps the season from section 221
    By travmil in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-21-2005, 10:58 PM
  5. Complete Game 2 Coverage From The Detroit News & Detroit Free Press
    By obnoxiousmodesty in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-24-2004, 11:21 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •