Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Source tells ESPN.com that Pacers have been trying to trade Ford for years.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Source tells ESPN.com that Pacers have been trying to trade Ford for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's selfish of the team to do that.
    There's a lot of money at stake, and it drives every decision. How much more would the T-Wolves be worth today if KG had successfully bulked up and they did win something?

Does anybody actually think the decisions being made aren't based entirely on $$$? Teams and players inherently have conflicting interests. 100% of the time.

Even in Division I, with alleged "student-athletes" (ha.) that are "playing for the love the game" (HA!) and are portrayed as the beacons of teamwork (hee-hee), the decisions are entirely about the money.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Default Re: Source tells ESPN.com that Pacers have been trying to trade Ford for years.

Quote Originally Posted by cordobes View Post
    I think O'Brien sees Murphy more or less in the same way he used to see Walker.
    As a psychological threat to other teams and an unselfish player willing to do anything for his team? Hope not.

Great article though; thanks for posting it. As a Celts fan, was it clear/well known that Antoine played that role?

I really hate how this thread has turned into a Murphy/KG thread the last page and a half..
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    Much like TJ, I'm sure that O'Brien doesn't like Murphy's game, though he'd consider his shooting a redeeming quality.

O'Brien continued to play both Murph and Ford, because he needed them to play at the level they demonstrated last year for this team to be competitive.
    It's interesting that you recall O'Brien's thoughts on Kevin Garnett but forget every interview or quote he's given about how much he likes Murphy's game, including the countless references to Murphy "spreading the floor" and even instances where he's referred to Murphy playing great defense.

He loves Murphy, which also brings up another thing: I'm pretty sure his player preferences and what he considers winning qualities are mutually exclusive. It's the only thing that can explain the way he divides minutes, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    ....For some reason, Murph has become the root of all evil around here. I find this to be a mindless point of view.....
    Troy Murphy just had a statistical season matched by no other player in NBA history.

Most everyone here knows that and still dislikes him, which shows that most are forming their opinions in consideration of the statistics, which in turn shows that most value a deeper, more introspective level of basketball that goes beyond statistics in their point of view.

In my opinion, no other topic has reflected more thought and introspection since I've joined the board. There has been plenty of discourse on why people not only dislike Troy Murphy, but consider him to be a main cause to our problem. I know you've read it, so I'm not sure where you came up with the idea that most of us have a mindless point of view.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    Ford having a player option for next year sort of flies in the face of this reasoning, doesn't it?
    No.

Both Ford and Curry have player options that they will certainly exercise.

However, Curry costs more than Ford, and the rookies we'd also be getting cost more. So the net effect of the sort of trade I propose would be $5-6M in additional cap space for the Knicks.

Plus, in the grand scheme of things, Ford is a potentially useful player and curry is not.