Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Source tells ESPN.com that Pacers have been trying to trade Ford for years.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Default Re: Source tells ESPN.com that Pacers have been trying to trade Ford for years.

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    JOB is saying things in that article that I've been hearing a bunch of members here say for six weeks.
    No s***
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt Obvious
    and I can't build a young guy like A.J. Price having him sit on the bench and watch. (edit - take note Bill ) It's not like we're a .500 basketball team. We have some key guys hurt, Earl is on a one-year contract, and it's a time to see what A.J. can give us because we have to know by the end of the season exactly who A.J. Price is, how solid he is as an NBA guard."
    If he makes good on this it's about time. It also might be a good move to save his own job. I think he can get more productive basketball by trusting some of these fundamentals style players to run a true system, to back off shooting threes other than to maintain space integrity, and to work better with more than just 1 other guy.

It hasn't been a choice between winning now or developing youth and a bunch of us have said so. Guys like Price and Josh actually give you a better chance to win now AND develop at the same time.

The weird outward message we've had for the last 2 years is pretty confusing and for the most part the choices and actions haven't reflected the kind of attitude we see here, but if it's finally going that way then good for both us and JOB.

Even if Price, Josh, Tyler, Brandon and Roy all stink, wouldn't it be nice to know ASAP. I'd like to not only know how good they are but also their areas of strength and weakness in order to better assemble the remaining squad in the next 2 years.

BTW, TPTB are going to get jack squat for Ford at this point. Teams have seen his game. And if they win the lottery to get Wall it's only going to be worse.

At least they turned JO's huge deal into Ford's much smaller deal.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 01-04-2010 at 04:59 PM.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Default Re: Source tells ESPN.com that Pacers have been trying to trade Ford for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    To add to that, why didn't they draft a PG in possibly the strongest PG draft ever? I mean, I didn't do research, but you have Jennings, Flynn, Rubio, Lawson, Maynor, Evans, Mills, Teague, ect.

I've said all along, I'm a big Hansbrough fan, but it didn't make sense to draft a PF this year. This year had a strong PG class, next year has a strong PF class. Now we are stuck without a PG and very little hope of getting one, as there won't be a solid option at our pick - where there will be about 5 possible PF's. Now we have Hansbrough and getting a PF doesn't make as much sense.
    I'm not a Hans (his game) fan but I did scout at lot of these guys, including hard to find Maynor games, and IMO AJ Price was a better choice than Lawson, Mills, Maynor and Teague. I felt that way going into draft night.

Evans, Jennings and Rubio were gone before their pick. Holliday was the only maybe, and he's young and raw and still risky. I would have been happy with him as the pick, but I think you are looking at a 60-40 chance on Jrue vs Price final upside. It's not a big miss.

Personally I was the trade down or out of the draft guy. I would have chased 4 guys into the 2nd round - Young, Blair, Budinger and Price. They got one of those 4 so I can't complain.

Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    How happy is Miami with a PG rotation of a struggling (and benched) Chalmers, Arroyo and Quinn? I know the ball is in Wade's hands quite a bit but they might want that type of offensive spark off the bench for a playoff run. TJ for QRich might work and make sense -- we're one team he's never been traded to before.
    Miami wants max cap space for 2010, and trading for Ford (assuming he picks up his option) would go against that plan.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    So you don't buy the "Pacers turned down TJ for Felton" story.
    Shopping him could be, "Hey, Ford is available for the right price. We were thinking about Carmello..." Click.

Whether folks around here want to admit it or not, Artest was always being shopped but the asking price was too high.

There is a reason we don't get many trades done, but I'm not sure its because our players have been as "untradeable" as their PD legend grows to. They're untradeable because of unreasonable asking prices.

We're not looking for equal value in a trade. If we can't take advantage of somebody, we're not willing to make the trade because maybe some time down the road we COULD take advantage of them and its better to wait.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:

Protect the Promise. HOOPFANATIC's Avatar

I still think that we have one of the most poorly run front office's in the league right now.

Why make a public statement to ESPN, no less, about this T.J situation.

If there was even a hint of interest, I would imagine it is gone now, and I simply don't understand how alienating players helps your organization.

Why would someone want to come play here with the chance of having your reputation and career ruined publicly. Yeah the money and the contract is one thing, but contracts only last so long and then it's like starting all over with an albatross.

I can't stand T.J's game, but I don't see him as our only problem that he needed to be the media's fall guy. I mean he is not the only player that has been disappointing, as a matter of fact he is pretty much (no improvement from last season) which I kinda expected anyway. Why draw attention to it.

There are a multitude of players on other teams who are disappointing this year as well probably with far more expectations but they are NOT getting press releases about thier benching.
    Protect the Promise!!!!

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HOOPFANATIC For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by HOOPFANATIC View Post
    I still think that we have one of the most poorly run front office's in the league right now.

If there was even a hint of interest, I would imagine it is gone now, and I simply don't understand how alienating players helps your organization.

Why would someone want to come play here with the chance of having your reputation and career ruined publicly. Yeah the money and the contract is one thing, but contracts only last so long and then it's like starting all over with an albatross.

I can't stand T.J's game, but I don't see him as our only problem that he needed to be the media's fall guy. I mean he is not the only player that has been disappointing, as a matter of fact he is pretty much (no improvement from last season) which I kinda expected anyway. Why draw attention to it.

There are a multitude of players on other teams who are disappointing this year as well probably with far more expectations but they are NOT getting press releases about thier benching.
    All excellent points, really good post which I agree with 100%. This front office is failing miserably.

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    Shopping him could be, "Hey, Ford is available for the right price. We were thinking about Carmello..." Click.

Whether folks around here want to admit it or not, Artest was always being shopped but the asking price was too high.

There is a reason we don't get many trades done, but I'm not sure its because our players have been as "untradeable" as their PD legend grows to. They're untradeable because of unreasonable asking prices.

We're not looking for equal value in a trade. If we can't take advantage of somebody, we're not willing to make the trade because maybe some time down the road we COULD take advantage of them and its better to wait.
    Yeah, I think that's the case. We could have moved him if we'd wanted, but we've only been looking for trades where we came out ahead.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

What public statement?

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    AND the writer needs to show credibility in his writing by having his facts straight.
    If the Pacers have been trying to trade Ford basically since they acquired him, 18 months is probably close enough to two years to be able to say "years."

But more importantly, it should be noted that the sentence in question is a direct quote from an NBA source. It is not an assertion of fact that the reporter made. So it's the source that has the somewhat fuzzy sense of time, not the writer.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

And you can prove this how?

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    What public statement?
    There was no public statement. I'm guessing most of the quotes came from either pre-game or post-game interviews/press conferences, and were answers to questions asked specifically.

I would guess that they're pool quotes, but I haven't been able to find the source.

The extra/ESPN attention probably is simply a result of the game being played in New York.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to count55 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It has been mentioned that it is an NBA Executive. Don't you think it might be an executive that has been trying to get Ford from us for next to nothing and he is just putting the press out there that the guy has no value to drive his price down?

NBA people aren't dumb. They see these players night in and night out. They know who has talent and who doesn't. I don't doubt that we are struggling to trade Ford, but to take this quote in earnest truth is naive. His contract is heavy for what he is, and that's the issue, but it doesn't mean he's a terrible player. He just looks terrible on this team, as do most of our players, and the byproduct is that none of our guys have much value.

Quote Originally Posted by pacergod2 View Post
    It has been mentioned that it is an NBA Executive. Don't you think it might be an executive that has been trying to get Ford from us for next to nothing and he is just putting the press out there that the guy has no value to drive his price down?

NBA people aren't dumb. They see these players night in and night out. They know who has talent and who doesn't. I don't doubt that we are struggling to trade Ford, but to take this quote in earnest truth is naive. His contract is heavy for what he is, and that's the issue, but it doesn't mean he's a terrible player. He just looks terrible on this team, as do most of our players, and the byproduct is that none of our guys have much value.
    Im sure if we wanted, we could trade Granger in a heartbeat
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

That is plurar, isn't it? They learnt me English at Greenwood, so I aint the bestest at it. But I don't see the problem.

This is twice you have brought up Woodman High, so you bragg'n or complain'n?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    Im sure if we wanted, we could trade Granger in a heartbeat
    Yeah... we could trade a hurt Granger, who has less value now than when healthy obviously. Think of this year's team like the year that Miami lost DWade forever and ended up with the number 2 pick. Let him sit, let the young guys grow, and figure out what you have. You don't trade Granger, unless somebody is willing to PONY UP some serious assets. But we would be better off keeping him, letting him rehab, and moving forward with him. But I think you knew that and were just proving a point.

Quote Originally Posted by pacergod2 View Post
    Yeah... we could trade a hurt Granger, who has less value now than when healthy obviously. Think of this year's team like the year that Miami lost DWade forever and ended up with the number 2 pick. Let him sit, let the young guys grow, and figure out what you have. You don't trade Granger, unless somebody is willing to PONY UP some serious assets. But we would be better off keeping him, letting him rehab, and moving forward with him. But I think you knew that and were just proving a point.

At this point, whatever trade value or interest TJ Ford had is gone now. Other GMs now know that we're very eager to trade Ford, and will probably throw peanuts at Bird. Kinda like the Artest/Tinsley situation....sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut, and let other teams know that they've been fooled AFTER the trade is completed.

Protect the Promise. HOOPFANATIC's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    What public statement?
    The ESPN article is directly quoting JOB as saying how bad T.J is struggling with the three,(which he always has), and that he is taking his benching like a man.

Even Dantoni has been vague in most of the comments I've read about his benching of Robinson, Hughes and his two year benching of Curry.

I don't know, IMHO I think it would behoove them to keep quiet about the benching and just do it. When the media asked, JOB should have just told them what he's been saying all year about trying to put together the right combo of players to get the victory, and keep saying it until they stop asking it.
    Protect the Promise!!!!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The ESPN article is directly quoting JOB as saying how bad T.J is struggling with the three,(which he always has), and that he is taking his benching like a man.

Even Dantoni has been vague in most of the comments I've read about his benching of Robinson, Hughes and his two year benching of Curry.

I don't know, IMHO I think it would behoove them to keep quiet about the benching and just do it. When the media asked, JOB should have just told them what he's been saying all year about trying to put together the right combo of players to get the victory, and keep saying it until they stop asking it.
    So he should dodge questions about it and let the media speculate? I don't have a problem with Obie's comments. Actually, I thought he handled it pretty well.

Sports Logo

It's the job of the GM to get the best sale price for their trading assets to maximize their return.

In the days of DW, I can believe that the "asking price" for many of our Players were likely high and remained high throughout any negotiation process. The problem is that I really believed that DW overvalued the Players he drafted/signed/traded for.

With Bird, although he'd likely start high when it comes to asking price.....but my hunch ( and it's a total guess of mine ) is that he's far more realistic about the trading value of all the Players that he's tried to deal over the last year ( I'm guessing that Ford is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to moving any of the 4 remaining long-term contracts ). Although we are not stuck with Ford....I still think that we got good value for JONeal by getting a 1st round pick for him.

On a side note.... I remember reading somewhere here that other GMs didn't like to deal with Larry Legend....and went to someone else in the Pacers FO when it came to trade offers.
    Last edited by CableKC; 01-04-2010 at 11:55 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

I'd keep tabs on the Arenas situation if I'm Bird and Morway. If the Wizards void Gil's contract, or even if he's suspended for a significant amount of time, I'd look to see if they would be interested in Ford for Mike Miller. I think he would be a good fit here in O'Brien's system and it doesn't hurt that he's on the last year of his contract.

The question, though, is would the Wizards be interested? I'd think they could find a better deal than Ford, especially if they include Butler or Jamison.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kuq_e_Zi91 View Post
    I'd keep tabs on the Arenas situation if I'm Bird and Morway. If the Wizards void Gil's contract, or even if he's suspended for a significant amount of time, I'd look to see if they would be interested in Ford for Mike Miller. I think he would be a good fit here in O'Brien's system and it doesn't hurt that he's on the last year of his contract.

The question, though, is would the Wizards be interested? I'd think they could find a better deal than Ford, especially if they include Butler or Jamison.
    Although one can hope....I seriously doubt that there will be anything more then a financial "slap on the hand" along with a suspension that won't be long enough to jeopardize the Wizards season.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post

On a side note.... I remember reading somewhere here that other GMs didn't like to deal with Larry Legend....and went to someone else in the Pacers FO when it came to trade offers.
    IIRC the deal was that Larry didn't have final say so dealing with Bird just meant he had to run everything by others....
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

It's not going to be easy to trade Ford for smaller/shorter contracts without adding anything else. Maybe if a contending team is hit by injuries at the PG position.

Maybe this is a tactic to get teams calling the Pacers and making offers... any offers?

IOW... Teams see Ford is out of the Pacer plans and MAYBE someone thinks they can throw a deal together to get him on the sly... And it just so happens the Pacers would be willing to take one of those deals.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden