Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Source tells ESPN.com that Pacers have been trying to trade Ford for years.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Source tells ESPN.com that Pacers have been trying to trade Ford for years.

Written by Chris Sheridan for espn.com's daily dime.

http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/p...103/daily-dime

Probably not too surprising, but interesting nonetheless.
    "Can you take away every single day that we have given to another false prophet" -- Corey Taylor

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HC For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Source tells ESPN.com that Pacers have been trying to trade Ford for years.

Yes, not surprising. he doesn't fit in here,

Default Re: Source tells ESPN.com that Pacers have been trying to trade Ford for years.

So why trade for him in the first place. If they have been trying to trade him for years that means it must not have been soon after they got him which makes you think...DOH! What were they thinking.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

JOB is saying things in that article that I've been hearing a bunch of members here say for six weeks.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

"T.J is struggling in some areas, we're not spacing the court with him, he's only made one 3-pointer (in 28 attempts), and Earl, just in my mind, is the best option at the starting position," O'Brien said. "My job is to win basketball games now and build young guys, and I can't build a young guy like A.J. Price having him sit on the bench and watch. It's not like we're a .500 basketball team. We have some key guys hurt, Earl is on a one-year contract, and it's a time to see what A.J. can give us because we have to know by the end of the season exactly who A.J. Price is, how solid he is as an NBA guard."

Despite the team's performance, OBrien is starting to say and do all the right things in regards to the long term future of the franchise. (i.e. play/support the young guys)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to nerveghost For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jhondog28 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So why trade for him in the first place. If they have been trying to trade him for years that means it must not have been soon after they got him which makes you think...DOH! What were they thinking.

Because we had to get rid of JO and takers were slim. We at least broke down JO's stupid salary into more manageable bites and then jettisoned some it.

The Pacers probably never saw Ford as an ultimate answer at PG but assumed they'd eventually be able to move him in a trade. Apparently his contract, injury history, and ultimately risk/reward for what you get on the court couldn't entice anyone.

It's not so much Ford's fault... IMHO.... It's still part of the problem we were left with by hitching our wagons to the likes of JO and Tinsley and opening the vault for them like we did. You don't just climb out from under those kind of mistakes in this NBA with its guaranteed contracts hamstringing a franchise for years.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Chirst...is seems like the only time that anyone wants to trade with Indiana is when one of our players is demanding a trade and/or our backs are against the wall. What's ironic that when next season comes, they'll be beating down Bird's door to get Dunleavy's, Foster's, Murphy's (if he's not traded to a contender this year), and Ford's contracts. If I was Bird, I would give the other GMs the finger, and spend the money in the summer of 2011 myself. Season be d*mned.

We wanted to get rid of JO and get salary cap flexibility and this was the best trade out there for JO.

And some of you were acting like JOB loved Ford about 10 days ago

Quote Originally Posted by nerveghost View Post
    "T.J is struggling in some areas, we're not spacing the court with him, he's only made one 3-pointer (in 28 attempts), and Earl, just in my mind, is the best option at the starting position," O'Brien said. "My job is to win basketball games now and build young guys, and I can't build a young guy like A.J. Price having him sit on the bench and watch. It's not like we're a .500 basketball team. We have some key guys hurt, Earl is on a one-year contract, and it's a time to see what A.J. can give us because we have to know by the end of the season exactly who A.J. Price is, how solid he is as an NBA guard."

Despite the team's performance, OBrien is starting to say and do all the right things in regards to the long term future of the franchise. (i.e. play/support the young guys)
    O'Brien suppose to have BEEN building the young guys. Personally, I like Ford's game, but he doesn't fit the current "offensive" scheme. Of course, I think Ford and Indiana in general would be a better team under a different coach.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post:

Get out from under the other 12 million that JO is being paid right now. I mean when we got TJ, it would be hard to predict he'd be in as bad a place is he is right now.

What I don't understand is, if you knew you don't like TJ at all, why not keep Jack, who you did really like?

I mean I get the length of contract and not wanting to lose finacial flexibility and the not going over the luxury tax, but still.

I mean, they knowingly went into the season, without a starting caliber Point Guard. Maybe this is a tank season.

Even if you signed Jack to that same contract as Toronto did, you just know if they got a better point guard down the line, Jack would step aside as the starter and actually help the new guy.

It just seems to me, that they really didn't have a plan for the Point Guard position and now that is bearing fruit.

Think about it, they knew they didn't like TJ. They knew Deiner was hurt and not the answer at starter, anyway. They knew AJ wasn't a starter, right now, or even a back up, during the summer. They knew Head was a combo guy. They knew Earl Watson was a career back up, who got benched last year on a (not good yet) Okla City team.

I know it's easy for me to sit here, after the start they've had and be critical, but going back to July and August, I still don't get the plan for this year.

Side Note: the quotes from Obie and Bird saying how they expect a big year from TJ this year, makes more sense now. Shows you that you can't believe hardly anything they say, it was all posturing to increase his trade value. Weak attempt at that, for sure.

Side Note-part II- TJ knows they are shopping him hard, remember the weird Tweet around draft day about him potentially being traded?

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Because we had to get rid of JO and takers were slim. We at least broke down JO's stupid salary into more manageable bites and then jettisoned some it.

The Pacers probably never saw Ford as an ultimate answer at PG but assumed they'd eventually be able to move him in a trade. Apparently his contract, injury history, and ultimately risk/reward for what you get on the court couldn't entice anyone.

It's not so much Ford's fault... IMHO.... It's still part of the problem we were left with by hitching our wagons to the likes of JO and Tinsley and opening the vault for them like we did. You don't just climb out from under those kind of mistakes in this NBA with its guaranteed contracts hamstringing a franchise for years.

The Tinsley, JO, S. Jackson, legacy lives on. My God, I can't wait until all of these contracts are gone.
    Last edited by Speed; 01-04-2010 at 08:50 AM.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

We all know that the plan over this past summer was to trade Ford and re-sign Jack. But when it became evident that no one really wanted Ford and Jack got a little bigger contract than I think the Pacers expected - they decided to let Jack go and keep Ford for now. I'm sure O'Brien was none-too-happy

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    Get out from under the other 12 million that JO is being paid right now. I mean when we got TJ, it would be hard to predict he'd be in as bad a place is he is right now.

What I don't understand is, if you knew you don't like TJ at all, why not keep Jack, who you did really like?

I mean I get the length of contract and not wanting to lose finacial flexibility and the not going over the luxury tax, but still.

I mean, they knowingly went into the season, without a starting caliber Point Guard. Maybe this is a tank season.

Even if you signed Jack to that same contract as Toronto did, you just know if they got a better point guard down the line, Jack would step aside as the starter and actually help the new guy.

It just seems to me, that they really didn't have a plan for the Point Guard position and now that is bearing fruit.

Think about it, they knew they didn't like TJ. They knew Deiner was hurt and not the answer at starter, anyway. They knew AJ wasn't a starter, right now, or even a back up, during the summer. They knew Head was a combo guy. They knew Earl Watson was a career back up, who got benched last year on a (not good yet) Okla City team.

I know it's easy for me to sit here, after the start they've had and be critical, but going back to July and August, I still don't get the plan for this year.

Side Note: the quotes from Obie and Bird saying how they expect a big year from TJ this year, makes more sense now. Shows you that you can't believe hardly anything they say, it was all posturing to increase his trade value. Weak attempt at that, for sure.

Side Note-part II- TJ knows they are shopping him hard, remember the weird Tweet around draft day about him potentially being traded?
    It's not like they didn't try...there were just no takers.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

They made the trade because it saved them over 20 million over the final 2 years of JOs contract-this for a guy they were desperate to be rid of.

And they did have a plan this year for pg. His name is Earl Watson-like it or not. Given the situation and financial position it was the best they could do. Then they have Diener-a player many on here were clamoring to start last season. And then they added Price-which most like.

Quote Originally Posted by cinotimz View Post
    They made the trade because it saved them over 20 million over the final 2 years of JOs contract-this for a guy they were desperate to be rid of.

And they did have a plan this year for pg. His name is Earl Watson-like it or not. Given the situation and financial position it was the best they could do. Then they have Diener-a player many on here were clamoring to start last season. And then they added Price-which most like.
    Plus we got Roy Hibbert out of the deal with the 17th pick...

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post:

So I'm guessing the rumor that we shot down a Felton for Ford swap were pure hogwash?

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Eindar For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post
    Chirst...is seems like the only time that anyone wants to trade with Indiana is when one of our players is demanding a trade and/or our backs are against the wall. What's ironic that when next season comes, they'll be beating down Bird's door to get Dunleavy's, Foster's, Murphy's (if he's not traded to a contender this year), and Ford's contracts. If I was Bird, I would give the other GMs the finger, and spend the money in the summer of 2011 myself. Season be d*mned.
    Allah, Buddha, Mohammed, Oprah. . . That's a great idea.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    We wanted to get rid of JO and get salary cap flexibility and this was the best trade out there for JO.

Then why did JOB play him so much for so long?

This is why I ran those polls asking how many believed he was played for his trade value. Do you still believe that has not been a factor at all?

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The problem wasn't trading JO for Ford's contract, an expiring contract and a draft pick. The trade was a good trade.

The problem was holding onto the player associated with Ford's contract and putting him on the court.

I really wish they could have moved him along before last season began. His contract was a bargaining chip.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    Then why did JOB play him so much for so long?

This is why I ran those polls asking how many believed he was played for his trade value. Do you still believe that has not been a factor at all?
    Trade value - maybe a slight factor. I think JOB knows that Ford is the most talented point guard on the roster, so he wanted to give him more than a fair chance to be the starting and finishing point guard. And to be fair 25 games is a reasonable length of time. No one can argue that he wasn't given a fair chance this season to keep his starting position. JOB put a happy face on it just like he did for 2 and a half months with Tinsley two season ago.

We all know that the plan over this past summer was to trade Ford and re-sign Jack. But when it became evident that no one really wanted Ford and Jack got a little bigger contract than I think the Pacers expected - they decided to let Jack go and keep Ford for now. I'm sure O'Brien was none-too-happy
    Yes indeed. Who really knows the impact Jack would've had this year? But, I for one was very disheartened they didn't match Toronto. I wanted him to be our starting PG for the next 5 years. I thought he was that good, and would get better. I would really liked to have seen Jack and Dahntay together (I know, not feasible), but those 2 would've been great to see toghether.

All this talk of how they couldn't afford it etc... I wonder what they think of that now? The team is the laughingstock of the NBA, hardly anyone shows up to the games. Would they have put up the extra 4 mill for Jack in hindsight?

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

No one can argue that he wasn't given a fair chance this season to keep his starting position. JOB put a happy face on it just like he did for 2 and a half months with Tinsley two season ago.
    And that's what it has always boiled down to. Ford was only an upgrade over Tinsley because he would allegedly be available for more games. The mindset here (and probably also in the Pacers front office) was "not a good PG, but at least we can count on him to not be very good in 70+ games per season and that's better than a revolving door."

Keep that in mind. We weren't improving the level of play at that position, we were trying to eliminate the volatility at that position.

And Ford has done that, right? Right? Anyone? HELLO!?!?
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by cinotimz View Post

Well sure, but the Raptors turned around and flipped JO for Shawn Marion, whose contract expired last year.

That's the big kicker to me. If the Pacers had managed the situation better, they could have had a deal that put them in an even better position.

Kinda hard to have been trying to trade Ford for "years," when you've only had the guy for 18 months.

34. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to count55 For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    I don't think we'll see Ford in a Pacer game again.

Tinsley 2.0.
    Sounds like what I said in the game thread was correct.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson