Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 36

Thread: On the bright side of things

  1. #1
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,256

    Default On the bright side of things

    barring a trade or high draft pick (which I believe we should get just probably not the #1) I am going to make this bold prediction now.

    A.J. Price is our starting point guard next season. In fact I would not be suprised if he does not start getting the lions share of the min. in the second half of the season.

    This is not your typical late 2nd round pick. This guy has ice water in his veins and it not intimidated by anyone and certainly is not afraid to shoot.

    Is is possible that this years first and second round picks will end up being better in the long run than last years two first round picks? I like Roy and think he can be with the club for a long time and maybe even be a special player. But I also think that of Tyler.

    Here is where I am going out on a limb, but at this moment I think Price will end up being more with us than Rush. Brandon has played better of late but his dropoff has certainly been a dissapointment.

    But what I really hope is that all 4 become regulars here. Think about that in two drafts Bird has gotten us a center, a point guard, a power forward and a wing (I don't know if I would call him a shooting guard).

    With a good high quality pick this year then hopefully by the time next season rolls around we can at least get out of this nose dive that we are in.

    Thought I would look for a silver lining in some very dark clouds.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    31,964

    Default Re: On the bright side of things

    I have not seen nearly enough of Price to have any comments on whether he is capable of being a starting NBA point guard, let alone a successful one
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 01-04-2010 at 08:59 AM.

  4. #3
    Member ksuttonjr76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Marion, IA
    Posts
    3,118

    Default Re: On the bright side of things

    Brandon Rush will develop into a better defensive player over time though with some occassional explosive offensive nights. Honestly, he's the extra piece that will keep other teams honest, because he'll hit the open jumper or make teams pay for double teaming Hibbert/Granger/Hansbrough. Roy Hibbert IS the center of the future. The jury is still out on Tyler Hansbrough, but I'm liking his game thus far this season. The more and more I think about it, Tyler should REALLY model his game after Karl Malone. I had made the comment earlier kinda serious kinda not, but I watched some Karl Malone videos on youtube, and I was like...yeah...that's we need at the PF spot.
    Last edited by ksuttonjr76; 01-04-2010 at 09:11 AM.

  5. #4
    Member Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brownsburg
    Posts
    7,984

    Default Re: On the bright side of things

    I like what I've seen so far with AJ. He's aggressive, sees the floor, good handles.

    I think he'll have a night, this year, where he's hitting those shots and he'll drop 30 on someone. Watch.

    If he works more on his shot, I think he has a pretty high ceiling.

  6. #5

    Default Re: On the bright side of things

    Also on the bright side, the Knicks game has to be pretty near rock-bottom, right?

    It can only get better, one would hope, getting routed by a team that has no particular interest in winning this year but is biding time until lots of bloated contracts expire.

  7. #6
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,354
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: On the bright side of things

    So far Price has done a great job. He was chucking an awful lot of shots last night, though.

  8. #7

    Default Re: On the bright side of things

    Another positive is the fact that we may set the NBA record for the most variations in the starting lineup for a single season. Are Price and Hans the only guys who haven't gotten a start yet this season? They're due, aren't they?

  9. #8
    Member sportfireman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Louisiana
    Age
    34
    Posts
    1,145
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: On the bright side of things

    after allstar break i think a.j. and tyler will be starting..........

    after a.s.break lineup.........price, rush, granger, handsbrough, hibbert....... my prediction

  10. #9

    Default Re: On the bright side of things

    Quote Originally Posted by sportfireman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    after allstar break i think a.j. and tyler will be starting..........

    after a.s.break lineup.........price, rush, granger, handsbrough, hibbert....... my prediction
    That would be a killer summer league lineup!

  11. #10
    Member Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brownsburg
    Posts
    7,984

    Default Re: On the bright side of things

    Quote Originally Posted by sportfireman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    after allstar break i think a.j. and tyler will be starting..........

    after a.s.break lineup.........price, rush, granger, handsbrough, hibbert....... my prediction
    aka the All-John Wall squad.

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:


  13. #11
    Member PaceBalls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Druidia
    Posts
    5,338

    Default Re: On the bright side of things

    Quote Originally Posted by sportfireman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    after allstar break i think a.j. and tyler will be starting..........

    after a.s.break lineup.........price, rush, granger, handsbrough, hibbert....... my prediction

    So what you are saying is we are going to have a new coach?

  14. #12
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    7,846

    Default Re: On the bright side of things

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have not seen nearly enough of Price to have any comments on whether he is capable of being a starting NBA point guard, let alone a successful one
    I like everything about him except that he threw up a bunch of bricks last night from the perimeter.

    It seems, at best, he is only going to be a streak shooter from out there, not a consistent one.
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:


  16. #13
    Member sportfireman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Louisiana
    Age
    34
    Posts
    1,145
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: On the bright side of things

    Quote Originally Posted by bphil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That would be a killer summer league lineup!
    bettter than our current nba line up....IMO



    Quote Originally Posted by Thingfish View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So what you are saying is we are going to have a new coach?
    oh how i wish

    another bold predition by a.s.break jim will change his mind on the vets

    UNLESS we are trying to showcase them.

  17. #14
    Member sportfireman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Louisiana
    Age
    34
    Posts
    1,145
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: On the bright side of things

    Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I like everything about him except that he threw up a bunch of bricks last night from the perimeter.

    It seems, at best, he is only going to be a streak shooter from out there, not a consistent one.
    i didn't see all the game last night but he was 5-11 how many were jumpers?

  18. #15
    Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,028

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: On the bright side of things

    Price isn't bad... not sure if he's NBA-caliber yet, though... he drove into the paint last night and got painfully swatted.

  19. #16

    Default Re: On the bright side of things

    Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I like what I've seen so far with AJ. He's aggressive, sees the floor, good handles.

    I think he'll have a night, this year, where he's hitting those shots and he'll drop 30 on someone. Watch.

    If he works more on his shot, I think he has a pretty high ceiling.
    I've honestly been suprised that he's on such a poor streak of shooting. He'd have an off game here or there, but not like this.

    However, he jumps really high on his shots, and I think more than anything he just needs to get used to the back to backs and adjust to that. His legs are probably tired. At least the midrange shot, which was automatic for him in college, was falling last night.

    I'm glad he keeps shooting though. He needs to work himself out of it. In college if he missed one or two it was like "I'm not able to score now, it would be better if I set someone else up" And honestly, I think JOB would put him on the bench for it.

  20. #17
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    22,920

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: On the bright side of things

    Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've honestly been suprised that he's on such a poor streak of shooting. He'd have an off game here or there, but not like this.

    However, he jumps really high on his shots, and I think more than anything he just needs to get used to the back to backs and adjust to that. His legs are probably tired. At least the midrange shot, which was automatic for him in college, was falling last night.

    I'm glad he keeps shooting though. He needs to work himself out of it. In college if he missed one or two it was like "I'm not able to score now, it would be better if I set someone else up" And honestly, I think JOB would put him on the bench for it.
    This question is directed to Sookie ( as well as anyone else that paid attention to his game in College ); but was AJ more of a shooter, scorer or neither in College?

    To me, there's a difference between a shooter and a scorer. I get the impression that as the floor leader of a very solid UCONN Team....I'd guess that he can put up points and hope ( and ) that any shooting/scoring funk that he is in is a bi-product of NBA-Rookie-shock or the ineffective way that JO'B uses him on the offensive end ( mostly sharing the floor with another primary ball-handler that has to wait for the ball to get to him while standing at the 3pt line ). As you have suggested......I just hope that it's a matter of time when he starts figuring out his shot in the NBA.

    As for the prediction that AJ becomes the Starter by next year....I doubt it. My prediction ( which is more of a "duh" since Diener won't be renewed ) is that he'll be the 1st PG off the bench no later then the start of the 2011-2012 season. I am hoping his "floor" is a solid Backup PG while that his ceiling is a Starting Caliber PG ( a la Steve Blake...which isn't a bad thing ). Given our luck and the way this team is run....I'd hope for the latter ( Starting PG ) but wouldn't be surprised ( nor disappointed ) if he turned out to be the former ( a solid backup PG ).
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  21. #18
    Member Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brownsburg
    Posts
    7,984

    Default Re: On the bright side of things

    Quote Originally Posted by sportfireman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    i didn't see all the game last night but he was 5-11 how many were jumpers?
    3 were 3s. I think he is streaky, but I think that guys coming into the NBA can absolutely become improved pretty quickly too. I mean you see guys who are horrible college (Kidd/Rondo) become guys you have to guard (at least some) and you see guys who are good in college become outstanding (Redd/Rip). So I think he can become very very good, but more important, consistent.

    I'll defer to the guys who saw him in college, but the two games I saw of him start to finish, he was the best player on the court.

    Just a side note, I think I remember from when we drafted him that he was a pretty explosive athlete who got injured and had become hesitant to take it to the hole, but was rounding back into that game.

  22. #19
    Member odeez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Oakland, CA
    Posts
    3,776

    Default Re: On the bright side of things

    Yeah, we all just need to see AJ on the floor more before we can make any judgements on whether he can be that guy. Would love it if he was, no doubt. I like that he is aggressive, I just need to see more of him.
    Avatar photo credit: Bahram Mark Sobhani - AP

  23. #20
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,585
    Mood

    Default Re: On the bright side of things

    He shot I believe 40 or 41% from both the field and from 3 last year in college, so I think he should become a decent jumpshooter for us, but probably not a slasher/finisher. Especially for a 2nd rounder, I can live with that if he can shoot around 40% from long range and be at least okay on D.

  24. #21

    Default Re: On the bright side of things

    I'd rather have him backing up John Wall.

  25. #22

    Talking Re: On the bright side of things

    Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This question is directed to Sookie ( as well as anyone else that paid attention to his game in College ); but was AJ more of a shooter, scorer or neither in College?

    To me, there's a difference between a shooter and a scorer. I get the impression that as the floor leader of a very solid UCONN Team....I'd guess that he can put up points and hope ( and ) that any shooting/scoring funk that he is in is a bi-product of NBA-Rookie-shock or the ineffective way that JO'B uses him on the offensive end ( mostly sharing the floor with another primary ball-handler that has to wait for the ball to get to him while standing at the 3pt line ). As you have suggested......I just hope that it's a matter of time when he starts figuring out his shot in the NBA.

    As for the prediction that AJ becomes the Starter by next year....I doubt it. My prediction ( which is more of a "duh" since Diener won't be renewed ) is that he'll be the 1st PG off the bench no later then the start of the 2011-2012 season. I am hoping his "floor" is a solid Backup PG while that his ceiling is a Starting Caliber PG ( a la Steve Blake...which isn't a bad thing ). Given our luck and the way this team is run....I'd hope for the latter ( Starting PG ) but wouldn't be surprised ( nor disappointed ) if he turned out to be the former ( a solid backup PG ).
    That is a really really tough question to answer. The guy never got a year in college where he wasn't trying to bring himself back from something.

    His junior year may have been his best statistically. That year, he was more of a scorer. He'd make 3's when needed, but it wasn't a strong part of his game, most would say he was a "solid" three point shooter. That year, had he not been injured and had decided to leave school for the draft, he would have been a first round pick.

    But he was injured. (ACL) And he came back, first half of the year..he was..inconsistent. Which is expected. The most consistent thing about him was his three point shot. He was a shooter his senior year. Did he have his off games..sure he did. Most of his senior year he was around 42% from three point land, which is very good, especially since he was the only three point shooter on his team. *and I mean only. When Jerome Dyson went down, the other three players who supposedly could make threes, went 4 for 59 the rest of the regular season. Craig Austrie 1, Kemba Walker 2, and Stanley Robinson 1.* So to shoot that high of a percentage when you are the only player teams need to bother to guard, well clearly he was a shooter.

    Early on, with the exception of the first preseason game. AJ was shooting fine. It's just as of late that he's missing. But like I said. He has good form on his shot, but he does jump quite high when he shoots. There have been a mass of games lately, and my guess is it's more of a Rookie's legs trying to adjust, rather than a "he's a really streaky shooter"

    The interesting thing to me, is that he seems pretty comfortable, in fact a lot more comfortable, slashing to the basket. His explosiveness and quickness should be fully returned by about March. They say it takes about two years with ACL injuries.

    Honestly, AJ Price is just "good" at everything. He's a good shooter, a good passer, a good defender, a good ball handler..ect...He is excellent at the pick and roll, very smart, was clutch in college, and has the leadership intangibles..that my guess is we won't see too much this year..unless JOB fully hands the team over to Price, Hibbert, and Tyler. He's not outstanding at one particular thing. But he's not bad at anything either.

    personally, I think he'll end up a starting caliber point guard, but not if you want your point guard to be a star. And he's also the type of player that fans don't get annoyed with, because rarely does he do anything stupid.
    Last edited by Sookie; 01-04-2010 at 03:21 PM.

  26. #23
    Member Trophy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    8,556

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: On the bright side of things

    I'm happy to see JOB give a future PG in A.J. more time as Earl's backup.

    I think Brandon is still finding his "true" role in the rotation. He's a great SG and has been better lately which is great to see for future reference. I see him here for more years to come.

    I honestly think even when Danny, Troy, and Tyler all return, it won't be enough to pull us into the playoffs. The whole team hasn't been stepping up in anyone's place.

  27. #24
    Member Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brownsburg
    Posts
    7,984

    Default Re: On the bright side of things

    When everyone returns healthy it will be just enough to drop 5 draft positions. Green.

  28. #25
    Member sportfireman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Louisiana
    Age
    34
    Posts
    1,145
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: On the bright side of things

    Quote Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Brandon Rush will develop into a better defensive player over time though with some occassional explosive offensive nights. Honestly, he's the extra piece that will keep other teams honest, because he'll hit the open jumper or make teams pay for double teaming Hibbert/Granger/Hansbrough. Roy Hibbert IS the center of the future. The jury is still out on Tyler Hansbrough, but I'm liking his game thus far this season. The more and more I think about it, Tyler should REALLY model his game after Karl Malone. I had made the comment earlier kinda serious kinda not, but I watched some Karl Malone videos on youtube, and I was like...yeah...that's we need at the PF spot.

    i think and hope rush can and will turn into a bruce bowen type player........ a smart good defensive minded player that can hit the open shot.... and a key part of our championship team.


    EDIT: if u look at their style its kind of similiar..........bowen isn't and attacker on offense, neither is rush but bowen will hit the open jumper when given to him...... not the in transition jumper, the half court offense im in the corner open jumper. thats what i think rush can develop into.

    but on defense bowen is aggressive thats what i see in rush he likes playing defensive......he and all the rest of our players are just too tired from running up and down the floor with obriens offensive style that he can't play defense as effective as he can
    this post made me think about rush and his game....so i posted my thoughts on rush's game in the "Is Rush a Shooter" thread........and im bringing it here to get some of you all opinions....if you don't mind.

Similar Threads

  1. Winning basketball: top ten overrated things you hear
    By thunderbird1245 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 80
    Last Post: 08-29-2006, 05:10 PM
  2. An answer for Fortaz......
    By Peck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 341
    Last Post: 06-10-2005, 08:20 PM
  3. Complete Game 2 Coverage From The Detroit News & Detroit Free Press
    By obnoxiousmodesty in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-24-2004, 11:21 AM
  4. What are the extreme things you have done to watch Pacers
    By Unclebuck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 01-27-2004, 09:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •