Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who can we realistically get?

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Default Re: Who can we realistically get?

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I want Jarrett Jack. Again. Seriously.
    i had the same thought a do-over on jarrett jack a la mark jackson.

jarrett isn't that great but he may have been the best starting pg the pacers have had for a while. he'd still be useful as a combo guard should we get a better starting pg down the road. wonder if toronto would part with him for expirings - maybe if bosh walks next summer, since they supposedly wanted jack for his college connection to bosh.

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I just hope we can find some serviceable players for every position.

We need SG's and SF's. Our two best players, Dunleavy and Granger, may or may not ever be reliable from a health standpoint in our fast paced system. Head is a streaky scorer, which is better than nothing at all. Dahntay is Dahntay, and he is an OK backup on an average team if the team plays fundamentally sound basketball and can otherwise make up for his mistakes. Rush needs a fresh outlook, despite a slight uptick recently. He still cannot make shots consistently, which is strictly mental at this point. His form is good in my opinion, but to be a shooter you have to believe instinctively that every shot you take is going in. He plainly does not, and may not until he has a change in scenery. I truly hope this is totally wrong, because I think Brandon has many other positives about his game, but in our offensively oriented team structure, if you can't score consistently, you become a liability.

We don't have a center or true power forward unless we hire a big man coach to teach anyone we do have for those postions the footwork and positioning and shot selection at a professional level required to be a factor, and that is not going to happen any time soon.

Other than Price, Diener will be our backup point guard for next year because Ford will likely still be here and the franchise will only carry a certain amount of point guards. Unless Price has lots of time to develop this year (which may or may not happen, depends on Bird at this point who I would guess has finally forced O'B to bench Ford to see if Price has what it takes). So, a point guard is in order, as well.

This summer, our expirings become high value. Maybe we can get one star, Danny can return to health, we can get a couple of high draft picks (maybe trade for an additional first rounder) and fill out the roster at every position through trading our expirings coupled with some of our players who have "potential" this summer.

Maybe then we can aspire once more to the elusive lofty goal of a 36 win season once more. My prediction for 37 wins this season is totally laughable at this point because of every reason conceivable short of a brawl.

Banned

players that the pacers might get for the expirings plus young players(Rush,AJ,TH or even Hibbert) are Michael Red, Kaman, Baron D, Kirk H, Tyrus T, G wallace, AK 47, Ramon Session, Iguadola, I will name more later.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    players that the pacers might get for the expirings plus young players(Rush,AJ,TH or even Hibbert) are Michael Red, Kaman, Baron D, Kirk H, Tyrus T, G wallace, AK 47, Ramon Session, Iguadola, I will name more later.
    Not one guy on that list I would want to hitch my financial commitment wagon to. Not one.

Wallace and Igoudala, maybe, but you can't pay them like franchise guys, cuz they aren't and I think that's exactly what Igoudala is getting paid like currently.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Thesterovic View Post
    Caron Butler
    Josh Howard
    Baron Davis
    Chris Kaman
    Andre Igoudala
    Gilbert Arenas (NO)
    Steve Nash
    Rip Hamilton
    Ben Gordon
    Monta Ellis
    Andre Miller/Greg Oden combo
    Andres Nocioni
    Elton Brand
    Antawn Jamison
    David West
    Rajon Rondo

There are ALOT of exceptions though. I hope to have a real computer handy soon because I have been VERY anxious to make several threads about almost everything. I PD from PS3.

For example, to take on BDiddys contract, we get a 1st, a 2nd, and Al Thornton as well.

For example, if we get Brand, we get Speights and Thaddeus.

OR if we take on Peja Stojakavic, we get David West, Darren Collison, and two future top 3 protected 1sts.

Or just do straight up trades like West, Rondo, Harris, Ginobli, Parker, Carter, Gasol, or Ellis.

Most realistically as of now, Ellis, Igoudala, West, G Wallace, Calderon, Battier, and Jamison/Butler package.
    Do you play PS3 online? If so, whats your PSN? I had PaCeR all throughout PS2 games, but someone took it on the PS3, now mine is aRmanTi.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Depending on the Player, Contract and the amount of guaranteed $$$ coming in and being sent out....I don't necessarily think that we'd have to give up an Asset ( Young Player and/or Draft Pick ) to get any of the Players that you mentioned above.

IMHO..........given the dire financial situation of many Teams...willingness to take on more guaranteed $$$ that you take out then send out is a "barganing chip" in the favor of the Team taking on the larger Contract. If the Team taking on the better talent ( or vice versa ) is worth the contract....then including Draft picks/Talent along with an Expiring contract is understandable. If there were a trade like Murphy for Iggy ( in NBA Fantasy land ), I can see the need to include additional "incentive" on the Pacers end....simply because we'd be getting the better player that has a reasonable contract given what he can do. But if we were to do some deal where we send out a Player like Murphy for Sessions or Redd....I'd consider including "incentive" to make the deal happen overpaying.

That's why I'm with count55 and d_c on this whole thread......trading contracts like Foster/Ford/MurphLeavy only make sense if we get a 2009-2010 Expiring Contract and/or we get Players with contracts that last beyond the 2010-2011 season that absolutely fit what we want to do with our future core of Players. Anything else is simply a desperate attempt to fix short-term problems ( as in get the Pacers back to the 8th Seed at all costs ) while creating Long-term SalaryCap/Financial in-flexibility.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    Not one guy on that list I would want to hitch my financial commitment wagon to. Not one.

Wallace and Igoudala, maybe, but you can't pay them like franchise guys, cuz they aren't and I think that's exactly what Igoudala is getting paid like currently.
    Well, we thought Danny was worth about $60mm over 5 years, so I'd be very surprised if we tried to get Andre or Gerald for much more than that.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Well, we thought Danny was worth about $60mm over 5 years, so I'd be very surprised if we tried to get Andre or Gerald for much more than that.
    I'd move Murphy+BRush for Iggy without a 2nd throught. Iggy IMHO is worth it. Players like Monta and Iggy are IMHO on the same tier of Players as Granger and received contracts that was IMHO considered "fair market value" in a very cost-conscious market. I know that that they are not considered top tier Franchise level like players like Lebron, Kobe, Dwight or CP3......but Iggy's contract is IMHO not overpaid ( roughly 11-12 mil a year + 10% raise per year ) given what he's capable of doing.
    Last edited by CableKC; 01-04-2010 at 01:50 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    I'd move Murphy+BRush for Iggy without a 2nd throught. Iggy IMHO is worth it. Players like Monta and Iggy are IMHO on the same tier of Players as Granger and received contracts that was IMHO considered "fair market value" in a very cost-conscious market. I know that that they are not considered top tier Franchise level like players like Lebron, Kobe, Dwight or CP3......but Iggy's contract is IMHO not overpaid ( roughly 11-12 mil a year + 10% raise per year ) given what he's capable of doing.
    Similarly, Pau Gasol is not a MAX player, but that's currently what he's getting paid with the Lakers (and he just signed a huge extension too IIRC).

But of course nobody is complaining because right now he's the equivalent of Rasheed Wallace from 2004: Not a franchise player but a guy who can push a really good team over the top. That's what he's doing for the Lakers. And nobody seems to be complaining about his salary because they're favored to win another championship and the owner is willing to pay the luxury tax.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post

From what I've read the last few years, Iggy isn't satisfied with being Robin to a Batman/Granger. He wants to be an Allstar and the leader. He's not good enough to be the Batman, but only a Robin.

I have noticed Donte Greene of the Kings lately. Does he have length and athleticism? The Pacers need this and once Ellis and Garcia return off the DL list he'll be buried back to the bench. Could he be a player that would make the Pacers a really nice wing? It has been brought up many times about looking for a young'n with potential that isn't playing. Could this be Dante?

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    From what I've read the last few years, Iggy isn't satisfied with being Robin to a Batman/Granger. He wants to be an Allstar and the leader. He's not good enough to be the Batman, but only a Robin.
    I like Iggy. Let him be Batman.

P.S. Is he a 2 or a 3?

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post

P.S. Is he a 2 or a 3?
    I think he is a 2, but I don't see him coming here anytime soon. He is owed 60+ million on his current deal, don't see us going there.
    Avatar photo credit: Bahram Mark Sobhani - AP

Banned

I was doing more research and I found more players that the pacers might be able to get either this year or next the list goes like this: C Butler, Jamison, Kmart, Al Horford, B Diaw,J Salmons, Nene,T prince,Q Richardson(for TJ ),U Haslem(for Murphy),D west,Mo peterson,Jeff Green, B Bass, A Jhonson,JJ redick, A Miller,J Bayless, A Nocioni, F Garcia.
    Last edited by vnzla81; 01-04-2010 at 08:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Assuming you are correct, I have no idea on this btw, what do you think then that the plan is? Or do you think that the "plan" really has all just been a smoke and mirrors routine to give us hope and in reality they are hopeing to get lucky via the draft or other?

Because if what you are saying is true then I really am depressed because we may really be looking at 5 to 10 years of rebuilding and then really only rebuilding to mediocre not contenders.
    There is no plan.

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post

P.S. Is he a 2 or a 3?

He's not Batman quality.

SG

I think our best chance at bringing in the biggest impact player will be in a trade next year with our expiring contracts rather then to wait for them to expire and go after a free agent. If we could make such a trade and still be enough under the L.T. enough to spend the full MLE in 2011 that could make a real difference. I don't see us getting a young all star unless someone demands a trade from his team and then everyone would be concerned that we were bringing in a bad attitude. If nothing likes this happens, I've been saying for a while now that Chris Kamen may be as good of a target as we could hope for. I consider Kamen a boarder line all star at this point. He has the highest scoring average of any center in the league at 20.3 that goes along with 9.2 boards. I consider him a good but not great defender and I'd love to see him start at the 4 alongside Hibbert. I'd also like to see him share the court with Hans, neither one are shot blockers but they'd beat you to death if you tried to go at them in the post. Kamen makes Murphy money and I'd love for the Pacers to be stuck with his contract for the extra year and an extension at that price.

Out of all the players listed in this thread, the only two I would really be excited about that would be game changers for the Pacers is Al Horford and Rajon Rondo

Top choice would be Al Horford, I love his game, the few games I have seen him play.

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

I think patience is a virtue. I just hope TPTB don't make some hasty trade next year with expiring contracts. You might get a "name" player but a player who is disgruntled or past their prime might not necessarily be what this team needs. As much as people say "No big free agents come to Indiana" I think the most prudent course of action will be to let said expiring contracts expire and see what happens... here is why.

The idea that these expiring contracts have so much value is misleading. A team under the cap can make trades without matching salary. So if the free agent period after 2011 passes and the team doesn't find the right player to sign, you can go into the season under the cap and retain the ability to make trades as if you still had said "expiring contracts". Being under the cap is like having a virtual expiring contract. People should not feel like we are "losing an asset" if we let them expire.

I just hope they don't get anxious and make a stupid trade that ends up backfiring and ruining our financial flexibility. The nice thing about free agency is that you don't have to give up any of your young talent like you would in a trade.
    Last edited by Infinite MAN_force; 01-04-2010 at 09:50 PM.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

In a worst case scenario that we don't first find a trade before the contracts expire, and then aren't able to find a free agent worth spending the money on, then I would agree that the team should try to enter the 2011 season under the cap. The problem is that we'll have only 5 players under contract going into the 2011 off season, and we'll have to fill those vacant positions with someone. The team could still enter the season under the cap, but not by nearly as much as they would be in the spring of 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite MAN_force View Post
    I think patience is a virtue. I just hope TPTB don't make some hasty trade next year with expiring contracts. You might get a "name" player but a player who is disgruntled or past their prime might not necessarily be what this team needs. As much as people say "No big free agents come to Indiana" I think the most prudent course of action will be to let said expiring contracts expire and see what happens... here is why.

The idea that these expiring contracts have so much value is misleading. A team under the cap can make trades without matching salary. So if the free agent period after 2011 passes and the team doesn't find the right player to sign, you can go into the season under the cap and retain the ability to make trades as if you still had said "expiring contracts". Being under the cap is like having a virtual expiring contract. People should not feel like we are "losing an asset" if we let them expire.

I just hope they don't get anxious and make a stupid trade that ends up backfiring and ruining our financial flexibility. The nice thing about free agency is that you don't have to give up any of your young talent like you would in a trade.

We'll at least have 8 players, Pacerized

1) Granger
    2) Hibbert
    3) Hansbrough
    4) Price
    5) Rush
    6) D. Jones
    7) 1st Round Pick 2010
    8) 1st Round Pick 2011

And you never know, we might find someone we like in the second round again.

By the way, we might have Dallas' pick in the 2nd round as well. So we'll draft high and low in that round, for whatever that might be worth.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

100% REAL, 0% OF THE TIME the jaddler's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    I want Jarrett Jack. Again. Seriously.
    AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I CANT SPELL!

THERE ARE THOSE THAT HAVE AND THOSE THAT WILL!

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    We'll at least have 8 players, Pacerized

1) Granger
    2) Hibbert
    3) Hansbrough
    4) Price
    5) Rush
    6) D. Jones
    7) 1st Round Pick 2010
    8) 1st Round Pick 2011

And you never know, we might find someone we like in the second round again.

By the way, we might have Dallas' pick in the 2nd round as well. So we'll draft high and low in that round, for whatever that might be worth.
    I mean no disrespect when I say this, but unless 7) ends up being John Wall or something, that lineup is going to make people bleed from the eyes.

Well, the theory is we'll add 1-2 guys to go with that group that are better than most of those players. Assuming the rest (besides Jones) have improved at all by then (consistency, additions to their game, or both), I think they could truly surprise you.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

I think if the Pacers could get Iggy they would jump all over that. Iggy & Danny on the wings would be sick.

I think some people on here are underestimating the guy I don't see Philly moving him unless they are getting a Danny Granger or better back in the trade.