Thread: Is Rush really a shooter ?

Default Is Rush really a shooter ?

I was wondering, what do you guys think about Brandon Rush's shooting ability? Is he really a good shooter or he just has a good looking shot? Clearly his percentages are not good but I seemed to fall in love with his beautiful form. Feel free to comment

Default Re: Is Rush really a shooter ?

Well, he's not one of the best shooters in the NBA like Kareem Rush or Travis Diener - that's clear.

3. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to LoneGranger33 For This Useful Post:

I think the reason he's thought of as a shooter is because 1. his form and 2. it's the best thing about him on offense.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Rush's best asset on offense and defense is his mind followed by his athletic ability. Currently tho, he's boom or bust on offense, and most of the time it's bust.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Rush's best asset on offense and defense is his mind followed by his athletic ability.
    Apparently his greatest strength is also his biggest weakness.

By no means am I blaming his shortcomings on the coach, but I would love to see both he and Hibbert in a different offensive system before I'd feel comfortable passing judgement one way or another.
    Last edited by LoneGranger33; 01-03-2010 at 10:21 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I guess it depends on your definition of mind, clearly to me at least, his basketball IQ is very good. He understands the game, if I were going to declare his greatest weakness I would say it is his passive, some might even say apathetic attitude.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

He looks completely lost out there and his release is very slow. What he does well is.......damn i thought I could think of something

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jhondog28 For This Useful Post:

Formerly QuickRelease NapTonius Monk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    Well, he's not one of the best shooters in the NBA like Kareem Rush or Travis Diener - that's clear.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    Rush's best asset on offense and defense is his mind followed by his athletic ability. Currently tho, he's boom or bust on offense, and most of the time it's bust.
    I agree. He's not a catch and shoot guy, he's a "what can I help you with today" offensive player. Look at his rebounding for example, it's typically well above what you'd expect from a "shooter". Same for his defense.

I say it again and again, Rush is the guy between guys when a play is made. He's the "B" in an A to B to C scoring play. He was this way at Kansas too. Then every now and then he'd have a game where he'd just go nuts with his scoring. But usually he was a facilitator between guys like Chalmers, Collins and Arthur.

This offense asks him to catch and shoot from a spot too often IMO. That's more of a Kareem Rush game than a Brandon thing.

The sooner people view him as Derrick McKey at SG and not Byron Scott, the better. That should include the coach. His points have to come from the flow rather than as the focus.

I'm not trying to "defend" him any more than I'd defend "2+2=4" if someone asked why it doesn't equal 5. That's just the way it is. You can hope it will change but I don't think it will, I don't think he's a good draft pick if you wanted a pure shooter. Doug-Rob was the "pure shooter" type in that draft, not BR or even C Lee. But then CDR's defense is not good. It's a tradeoff.

And if it's Price at PG, Granger at SF and you are working most sets off Roy in the low post then Rush is fine. Danny can bomb away, Price fills up a few, and then Rush cherry picks them from time to time while helping to keep the system running.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 01-03-2010 at 11:29 PM.

12. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    I agree. He's not a catch and shoot guy, he's a "what can I help you with today" offensive player. Look at his rebounding for example, it's typically well above what you'd expect from a "shooter". Same for his defense.

I say it again and again, Rush is the guy between guys when a play is made. He's the "B" in an A to B to C scoring play. He was this way at Kansas too. Then every now and then he'd have a game where he'd just go nuts with his scoring. But usually he was a facilitator between guys like Chalmers, Collins and Arthur.

This offense asks him to catch and shoot from a spot too often IMO. That's more of a Kareem Rush game than a Brandon thing.

The sooner people view him as Derrick McKey at SG and not Byron Scott, the better. That should include the coach. His points have to come from the flow rather than as the focus.

I'm not trying to "defend" him any more than I'd defend "2+2=4" if someone asked why it doesn't equal 5. That's just the way it is. You can hope it will change but I don't think it will, I don't think he's a good draft pick if you wanted a pure shooter. Doug-Rob was the "pure shooter" type in that draft, not BR or even C Lee. But then CDR's defense is not good. It's a tradeoff.

And if it's Price at PG, Granger at SF and you are working most sets off Roy in the low post then Rush is fine. Danny can bomb away, Price fills up a few, and then Rush cherry picks them from time to time while helping to keep the system running.
    Good summary.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

i think and hope rush can and will turn into a bruce bowen type player........ a smart good defensive minded player that can hit the open shot.... and a key part of our championship team.

EDIT: if u look at their style its kind of similiar..........bowen isn't and attacker on offense, neither is rush but bowen will hit the open jumper when given to him...... not the in transition jumper, the half court offense im in the corner open jumper. thats what i think rush can develop into.

but on defense bowen is aggressive thats what i see in rush he likes playing defensive......he and all the rest of our players are just too tired from running up and down the floor with obriens offensive style that he can't play defense as effective as he can.
    Last edited by sportfireman; 01-04-2010 at 11:06 AM.

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

His shot looks beautiful... the results of the shot are for the most part less than beautiful... unfortunately.

I think once (if) he marries his beautiful shot with accuracy, we'll see something special. As of now, he's just a beautiful shot, who misses it too often.

I'm feeling more and more like the Pacers desperately need a coaching change to make any improvements. I don't get the impression that this coach will be able to recognize the strengths of players he has or may get in the future. Hibbert especially. It's not working out. But given the NBA Draft is looking awesome at the top of the lottery, JO'B may be the perfect coach for Indiana for this season.

I think I love you.

Yeah, I'm surprised he isn't shooting the ball better from distance and is so streaky; I agree he "should" be a better shooter and I'm not sure why he isn't.

I have a feeling he's better shooting off the catch on the move than in other type of shots, but this season his only good shot is the corner 3, which is mostly a spot up shot. It'd be nice to check his Sinergy file. And why is he so bad finishing at the rim and with the mid-range game?

I don't know, maybe there's something off in his shot nobody has noticed because the upper-body form looks so good. Has anyone noticed if he aligns his feet with the basket consistently? Perhaps he has vision problems. I have no idea. He rarely takes contested shots, his usage rate is fairly low, so it's not like he's forcing the issue. Maybe he's just streaky and is going through a slump.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    His shot looks beautiful... the results of the shot are for the most part less than beautiful... unfortunately.

I think once (if) he marries his beautiful shot with accuracy, we'll see something special. As of now, he's just a beautiful shot, who misses it too often.
    I've noticed that if he gets a pre-jump as he catches to go into his actual shot he seems to be a bit better. I think this also adds to why you want him shooting out of a play or planned situation where he can anticipate that the shot is coming to him. I don't think he's nearly as gifted when it comes to improvising or just rising up.

Of course Granger didn't use to have that game and last year it really took off for him. Still I'd consider him the exception not the rule.

Quote Originally Posted by cordobes
    He rarely takes contested shots, his usage rate is fairly low, so it's not like he's forcing the issue.
    Great point, and look at his FTA rate because of this. Terrible. I don't need DJones crazy in the lane stuff, but he's got to show that he can get an advantage on guys in traffic from time to time.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 01-05-2010 at 07:21 PM.