Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it really an ear infection?

Default Is it really an ear infection?

Tyler hasn't played in a week, and isn't even traveling with the team to attend tonight's game in New York. He hasn't been on the bench. Supposedly, he's out with an ear infection.

Isn't this a bit much for an ear infection? Will the story change? Has this been covered at all by local/national media, or has it been missed so far? Anybody got contacts or heard any reputable rumors?

I'm just curious. I don't remember the last time a player missed this many games for an "injury" that seems so minor.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Is it really an ear infection?

I don't think there is any conspiracy here.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Isn't there an issue with flying with an ear infection (due to pressure)?
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

It's an inner ear infection. If it's really bad, he probably has really poor balance.

Hansbrough is not Tinsley, it is really an ear infection.
    *removed* Just keep politics and religion completely out of it, please.

They said last night during the game that Hans cannot fly due to the ear infection that is why he is not playing tonight. No conspiracy.

It is apparent , you have never had a really bad ear infection then...

otherwise you wouldn't be asking this..

Once diagnosed and taking the proper antibiotics, it can take a week or 2 to fully get feeling better and have it under control..
    Sometimes the ear can STILL be draining up to 3 weeks or more depending on the type and severity ..

And yes, it affects balance BIGTIME.. and there is NO WAY IN HECK one should ever fly in an airplane with an ear infection..
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Theodore View Post
    Hansbrough is not Tinsley, it is really an ear infection.
    nice observation......tyler is a 6'9 white guy and jamaal is a 6'2 black guy....

[quote=Anthem;938034]

Isn't this a bit much for an ear infection?

No! I had an ear infection burst my eardrum.

I'm just curious. I don't remember the last time a player missed this many games for an "injury" that seems so minor.

Believe me, it's not minor!

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Will Galen For This Useful Post:

It's already been said, but inner ear infections can really knock you out; I've had one. And if you have one that affects your equilibrium, you're completely out of commission.

I had a flashback of Tyler attempting to put a contact in his eye directly after picking it up from the court a few games ago.

I know people who have had inner ear infections that have lasted up to two weeks and had to be hospitalized because of it.

It's kind of like the flu in that some people get it worse than others.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

It's just a headache.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to count55 For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Tyler hasn't played in a week, and isn't even traveling with the team to attend tonight's game in New York. He hasn't been on the bench. Supposedly, he's out with an ear infection.

Isn't this a bit much for an ear infection? Will the story change? Has this been covered at all by local/national media, or has it been missed so far? Anybody got contacts or heard any reputable rumors?

Well, props to you for just being willing to ask the question.

Tyler's personality doesn't fit the profile here, however.

I got an ear infection once at the beginning of a 7 day lake trip. Seven days later I got out of the bed. It was beyond agony.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    It's just a headache.
    Good one!

For those who don't know he's not being serious, it's an inside joke. We had one guy on here say a concussion was just a headache.

It's just a headache.
    You might save yourself from one if you put that in green.

lol for some reason I am getting flashbacks of the " concussion" debacle ...

edited to add: just read .. someone beat me to it .. heheh
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

It would be even more fun if the poster that mentioned, "a concussion is just a bad headache" was around to see this...
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

It's just a headache.
    Ok, fair enough.

I guess my question was more along the lines of "Isn't an ear infection pretty treatable?" I mean I know we're trying to go easy on the antibacterials to prevent superbug outbreaks, but I thought we were pretty good at dealing with infections these days. It wasn't meant to be an attack on Tyler's manliness or pain tolerance.

It's just that I've reached the point where I'll never again believe the Pacers' public announcements as to player injuries.

Well, Tyler, I hope your ear infection clears up soon!
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Ok, fair enough.

I guess my question was more along the lines of "Isn't an ear infection pretty treatable?" I mean I know we're trying to go easy on the antibacterials to prevent superbug outbreaks, but I thought we were pretty good at dealing with infections these days. It wasn't meant to be an attack on Tyler's manliness or pain tolerance.

It's just that I've reached the point where I'll never again believe the Pacers' public announcements as to player injuries.

Ear infections can do lots of damage and the superbugs are making a strong comeback. They're like the Taliban in that respect.

I also don't believe the Pacer announcements as to player injuries. If you listen to Pacer announcements three starters this season would be Bender, Tinsley, and O'Neal.

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    It would be even more fun if the poster that mentioned, "a concussion is just a bad headache" was around to see this...
    Why isn't he? I expected him to be going nuts after basically everything he's said about McRoberts has come to be proven.

-Lance Stephenson

Wetbob? He got banned.
    "I keep wondering the same thing. Last week they had the 4th worst record in the league, had an 11.9 percent chance of winning the lottery and were in line to land a franchise type player like Derrick Favors or DeMarcus Cousins. This week? They have a 1.7 percent chance of winning the lottery, have the 8th worst record and are in line to draft Cole Aldrich or Greg Monroe. Way to go Jim O'Brien. Rest Danny Granger the rest of the season (if it isn't too late) and give Josh McRoberts lots of minutes. That ought to do it." - Chad Ford on winning meaningless games

Way to go Jim, you may have just put our franchise back another 4+ years.

Quote Originally Posted by Thesterovic View Post
    Wetbob? He got banned.
    What for?

-Lance Stephenson

I have no clue. Always thought his opinions were interesting, and really understood things from a good perspective.
    "I keep wondering the same thing. Last week they had the 4th worst record in the league, had an 11.9 percent chance of winning the lottery and were in line to land a franchise type player like Derrick Favors or DeMarcus Cousins. This week? They have a 1.7 percent chance of winning the lottery, have the 8th worst record and are in line to draft Cole Aldrich or Greg Monroe. Way to go Jim O'Brien. Rest Danny Granger the rest of the season (if it isn't too late) and give Josh McRoberts lots of minutes. That ought to do it." - Chad Ford on winning meaningless games

Way to go Jim, you may have just put our franchise back another 4+ years.

He got a month for going out of his way to insult another member privately. I don't tolerate that.

Ok, fair enough.

From my background, I've had problems with ear infections to the point that I was unable to drive for a few days.

I was also unfortunate enough to have one flare up when I was in Houston on business, and had to fly with it. It was an extremely painful experience.