Thread: What's happened with Dahntay Jones?

Banned

Default What's happened with Dahntay Jones?

At the start of the season he was a feature player and looking great. Looking like a major steal of a signing too.
    Now he's faded to off the bench minutes.
    I only see about 1 in 3 games, so what's going on with him??

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: What's happened with Dahntay Jones?

He had a good game tonight...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

To be fair, I think everyone got ahead of themselves when it came to Dahntay. Is he still a good signing for the price? Absolutely, but there were a lot of people on the board who seemed genuinely convinced that Dahntay's offense would remain as effective as it was at the start of the year, but the truth is he was playing way above his head offensively the first month and a half of the season.

He's still a great value, and I'm glad he's around, but I just think this is the Jones we're gonna have for the most part which I'm happy with I just hope those that got really excited about him can readjust their expectations.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

He plays a pretty good second fiddle, but it's hard for him when there's no first fiddle.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He plays a pretty good second fiddle, but it's hard for him when there's no first fiddle.
    X___________

I also think he was really frustrated with JOB and the losing.

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    To be fair, I think everyone got ahead of themselves when it came to Dahntay. Is he still a good signing for the price? Absolutely, but there were a lot of people on the board who seemed genuinely convinced that Dahntay's offense would remain as effective as it was at the start of the year, but the truth is he was playing way above his head offensively the first month and a half of the season.

He's still a great value, and I'm glad he's around, but I just think this is the Jones we're gonna have for the most part which I'm happy with I just hope those that got really excited about him can readjust their expectations.
    Dahntay has never been an offensive player. His strength was his defense, but even that has suffered somewhat and I'm not sure why. The "instant offense" he did bring early on was a bonus, but I didn't expect it to last long because it was something opposing teams hadn't seen of him and didn't expect. So, they shagged off him and took the risk that he'd miss more shots than he made. But once they started guarding him his offense went away. He doesn't shoot the ball well from the field and struggles with his drives to the basket. I think once Granger returns and Hibbert and/or Hansborough also able to be more effective in the post Dahntay's game will open up alittle. But I don't expect him to be a scorer. I expect him to be a defender and lead the way for our Guards to be better at that part of their game.

Still, if he's able to give us 10-12 ppg, I'll take it.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

all of you all have made valid points but to me one of the main reasons is danny's absence. when you have an offense threat like danny out there it opens things up for other players. it makes it easier thats why his presence is missed on the court. that player or player's on defense that have to honor danny on the floor don't have anyone to honor therefore they have a lil more freedom sag into the slash and cutting lanes making them a little bit more congested.

p.s. make a freethrow dahntay and ur ppg may come back up.... he's a slasher not a shooter and when you get 4 ft's a game(on average) well you have to make your ft's. if not you're pissing points away.
    Last edited by sportfireman; 01-03-2010 at 04:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    QFT.

Honestly, I think that's the main reaon why his scoring has dropped off. He's not a 1st option scorer, but I'd gladly take him as a 2nd or 3rd option due to his driving skills. Plus, he was on the court with TJ Ford who would just shoot instead passing the ball to anyone not named Granger.

At this moment, I'm not really worried about his offense. It'll come back once Granger is healthy again. D. Jones is just a better/stronger version of Marquis Daniels.

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    X___________

I also think he was really frustrated with JOB and the losing.
    That too !

He was playing out of his mind early; there's no way he was going to keep up with his impressive numbers.

That aside, I think he definitely hit a slump that seemed to coincide with a really hard fall a few weeks back (landed on his shoulder and hip). It's possible he was more injured than he was letting on, but it was likely just a slump.

Next stop June 2015

You guys need to take a good look at his stats in November versus December. His effort stats (e.g. steals, rebounds, blocks) all dropped dramatically and were consistently lower along with his FG% and overall effectiveness.

IOW, I think he's been demotivated based on the stats and his comments to the press. I would not say that if his effort stats had not across-the-board dropped after the period immediately following the infamous 5 game winning streak.

Quote Originally Posted by sportfireman View Post
    all of you all have made valid points but to me one of the main reasons is danny's absence. when you have an offense threat like danny out there it opens things up for other players. it makes it easier thats why his presence is missed on the court. that player or player's on defense that have to honor danny on the floor don't have anyone to honor therefore they have a lil more freedom sag into the slash and cutting lanes making them a little bit more congested.

p.s. make a freethrow dahntay and ur ppg may come back up.... he's a slasher not a shooter and when you get 4 ft's a game(on average) well you have to make your ft's. if not you're pissing points away.
    Good point, and I'd agree with you 100% if Dahntay's scoring had begun to drop off when Danny left. Instead, his scoring really fell when Dahntay hurt his hip. Maybe the combination of playing w/o Danny and the injury had more to do with his lack of offense, but I think it was a combination of the defense not having seen that part of Dahntay's game before plus the injury and absence of Danny on the court.

I really hope Dahntay is able to make the adjustments. We could use the Dahntay that was producing over the first 10-15 games of the season rather than the one who was slumping badly.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If he were anywhere as good as what everyone around here believed during the first two/ three weeks of the season, somebody would have offered him a long-term contract a long time ago.

He's an interesting player -- a good guy for an "eighth man" type of role (just as Denver used him even though he was technically in the starting lineup).

He's not and will never be a featured player. If he's one of your top three players, you've got a very bad team.

(I don't see him as one of this team's top-three players either. But it would be nice if Rush and Hibbert played as well as I think they can and either Dunleavy or Granger played healthy. He might be the team's fourth-best player, which still is not a good thing overall.)
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you