Thread: Is there any reasonable scenario where we turn Troy/TJ into TMac?

Default Is there any reasonable scenario where we turn Troy/TJ into TMac?

There aren't many ways to work the salaries out. You pretty much have to use Troy/TJ/Jeff.

Also, you have to figure Houston's not giving up anybody "good" other than TMac... no Landry, Lowry, Battier, Buddinger, etc.

Luckily they have 2 guys that aren't very good, in the rotation, or part of their future. And those two guys, plus TMac, make the salaries line up perfectly (less than 100k difference). Those two guys are Chuck Hayes and Jermaine Taylor. Neither guy would be in the rotation for us... it's just about balancing the salaries.

So... Troy/Jeff/TJ for TMac/Hayes/Taylor. We'd do it in a heartbeat. Would Houston? No way. So what would entice them?

I'd give them this year's draft pick (top 3 protected) to get this deal done.

Am I insane? Would that be enough?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Is there any reasonable scenario where we turn Troy/TJ into TMac?

Houston wants a star for T-Mac's contract.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Houston wants a star for T-Mac's contract.
    Think they'll get one?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

If you consider a four way trade "reasonable", how about this?

Pacers trade Murphy (to Cavs), S.Jones (to Rockets), Ford and Diener (to Knicks)
    Pacers get Eddy Curry, Chris Duhon, Jordan Hill, Tony Douglas

* For 2009, the Pacers trade away $22.8M take back $20M salary. So that's a win.
    * For 2010, the Pacers take on $15M in 2010 salary but trade away $20.5M. So that's a big win, and they get two guys on rookie deals (Hill and Douglas). Dropping their salary by about $5M next year should get them under the upcoming smaller luxury tax threshold.

Cavs trade Ilgauskas (to Rockets)
    Cavs get Murphy

* This is financially pretty much a wash for the Cavs this year, but obviously Murphy costs them about $11M next year. The whole deal is pretty much predicated on them really being willing to make this sort of trade.

Rockets trade McGrady (to Knicks)
    Rockets get Ilgauskas, Darko, S. Jones

* This shaves $2M off the Rockets cap figure for this year, just enough, I believe, to get them under the luxury tax. So it also saves them another $2M or so in tax payments to the league and lost escrow revenue. So it's kind of a big boon to them. Plus it's a useful return for their big man depleted team.

Knicks trade Curry, Duhon, Hill and Douglas (to Pacers), Darko (to Rockets)
    Knicks get McGrady, Ford, Diener

* For this year, the Knicks would be taking on about $6M in extra salary, which will cost them out the nose.
    * However, for next year, subtracting Curry, Hill and Douglass and adding Ford gives them something on the order of $6M extra cap space next year, which they supposedly desperately want.
    * So this trade accomplishes two things for the Knicks. It gets them a flashy but expensive player this year, and additional cap relief next year.

So looking at it from every side, I can see the logic behind it. I think Cleveland is the iffiest, since I don't know at all how legit their interest in Murphy is. The other teams should be on it like white on rice.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Think they'll get one?
    Does it matter? If they don't they'll just let his contract expire and go after one this summer.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

There aren't many ways to work the salaries out. You pretty much have to use Troy/TJ/Jeff.

Also, you have to figure Houston's not giving up anybody "good" other than TMac... no Landry, Lowry, Battier, Buddinger, etc.

Luckily they have 2 guys that aren't very good, in the rotation, or part of their future. And those two guys, plus TMac, make the salaries line up perfectly (less than 100k difference). Those two guys are Chuck Hayes and Jermaine Taylor. Neither guy would be in the rotation for us... it's just about balancing the salaries.

So... Troy/Jeff/TJ for TMac/Hayes/Taylor. We'd do it in a heartbeat. Would Houston? No way. So what would entice them?

I'd give them this year's draft pick (top 3 protected) to get this deal done.

Am I insane? Would that be enough?
    chuck hayes is a very tough good defender, somehow i think if the trade were made he would get run ahead of mcbob

Quote Originally Posted by IUfan4life View Post
    chuck hayes is a very tough good defender, somehow i think if the trade were made he would get run ahead of mcbob
    Whoops. Who should I include instead of him, then?

I'm basically trying to get Houston's worst players, as they're the ones the Rockets are most likely to give up.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Think they'll get one?
    No. Maybe a star who's fallen from grace (like Arenas), but not a real star.

They'll most likely just let him expire. I can't see Houston's owner (or any other owner) trade an expiring deal for an extra year of paying $20M for Murphy and Ford.

Murphy should have some value somewhere though, right?

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    Murphy should have some value somewhere though, right?
    Yes, but most likely some deal where another team is shedding deals that run longer than Murphy's. I'm sure there would be potential deals like that, and then it's up to Pacers' ownership whether they want to commit to those kinds of deals.

Pacers would almost certainly be taking salary that runs at least as long as Murphy's deal in return. It won't be straight up for some expiring deal such as TMac's.

I just don't see any team out there committing an extra $12M for the last year of Muphy's deal when there are cheaper alternatives out there for a backup/role playing bigman. Similar thing could be said for Ford.