Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Postgame Thread (Spoiler Alert: Pacers Win!)

Default Re: The Postgame Thread (Spoiler Alert: Pacers Win!)

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If we played the T-Wolves, Nets a slumping Knicks team - at the time an in turmnoil Wizards team and a terrible Warriors team, whether Murphy played or not the pacers would continue to win. The combined winning % of the teams the pacers have played when Murph has been out is probably 35% and probably 55% when he's been in the lineup.
    We don't beat the bad teams when he's in the rotation either. I think Josh has shown plenty enough that he deserves minutes.

Personally, I'd start Tyler, and play Troy when needed and Josh when needed. I don't think JOB can do that though, he's not good at anything that isn't systematic substitutions.

Tyler's got the best balance of offense and defense between the two. Troy could come in, score a few baskets, but really..don't play him too much. 99% of teams say defense wins basketball games. Well that means you play Josh ahead of Troy.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Phil Jackson? He hardly ever calls timeouts

I was just waiting for you to chime in on that one.

“Tonight, we had great point-guard play by Earl Watson,” Jones said. “He got everybody the ball at the right times. Roy did a good job in the post. A.J. came off the bench and did a great job. Luther was steady at the shooting guard. Mike chipped in. It was a good team effort and a good chance to see everybody contribute and play hard.”
    http://www.journalgazette.net/articl...16/1008/SPORTS

any possibility that JOB decided to try AJ because that's what some of the leaders on the team wanted. *Dahntay, perhaps Granger and Maybe even Dun.*

It's not performance in games or practice that got him a chance. Because he would have already gotten one. It really isn't TJ's poor play either, because TJ's poor play has been pretty much consistent since the begining of the year. It's not the fans, because those that were calling for AJ, have been doing it for a while.

But Dahntay continues to make comments to the press that seem to clearly center around Ford. As said earlier, Granger really responds to AJ via cheering from the bench, and Dun looked a little better last night after seeming to hate life for a few games. But I say Dun, more because Dun seems like the type of person to get frustrated with a point guard that makes poor decisions. TJ does, AJ doesn't.

I think it's at least pretty clear this is something DJones wanted to happen.

edit: I missed this the first time. From the same article.
    "“We’ve got good point guards,” he said. “We’ve just got to play off of them. When we do that, we’re a tough team. You know they’re going to push the ball, and they’re going to get everybody shots.”
    -Roy Hibbert.

TJ sits, and players give positive comments about the point guard play to the press. Seems pretty clear this IS something the players want.
    Last edited by Sookie; 01-03-2010 at 12:23 PM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    Some of you guys just don't see the big picture. We have to play Murphy and Ford if we want to get something out of them in a trade this year. However looking at the other side of the coin they will be coming off the payroll in a year and a half anyway.
    The big picture is if the Pacers don't start and continue giving fans some hope for the future there won't be an Indiana Pacers. If rearranging the rotations and even benching some guys actually starts giving fans some glimpses of light at the end of the tunnel then you don't worry about trying to increase someone's trade value. Especially if their realistic trade value is mainly in being an expiring contract anyway.

IMHO...
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

What I liked about l/n was seeing the youth we have seemingly playing together like they have been doing so for years. I saw a calmness in the flurry of a 73 pt. half that I have not seen in a very long time. I also saw some individual performances that stood out:
    -McBob: While I am no coach nor analyst, but I liked what I saw. Beyond the hussle he always brings, he showed a few things that I feel are worth pointing out. First was the confidence he seemed to play with. He was more fluid them I remember him being, & seemed to be playing basketball on instinct. He used his big body to his advantage on several occations to help jam the middle & used his athleticism & quickness to make some nice plays. His steal & his 3pt'er were fluid, instinctive & the right play at the right time. He looked like be belonged on the court & looked like he was/is ready for more opportunity. I for one hope he gets it.
    -Price: What I notice most about AJ is what I don't notice - the fact that he is a rookie, 2nd rd pick, who has played just a handful of minutes. His body language is confident & his court communication rings of leadership. Just as importantly, the other players on the court w/ him played some of their best ball w/ him on the court. Rush for one seems to love having AJ out there. I also think AJ allowed McBob to play relaxed (as I'm sure they have played on the same unit in practice a lot). I would like to see AJ for 20 min. a game going forward. With J.Wall as the only projected PG in the top 2/3 of the draft, we may not be drafting a top talent there as I'm sure we would have hoped, so unless we get one in a trade, it looks like FA '11 as our next real shot at a top PG. That said, we need to know what we have in AJ as we plan for the future.
    -B.Rush: Nice to see him play & not think. What was the difference - is it Watson & Price @ the point? Is it playing w/ a younger core, or is it playing w/ other scorers (Dun/Head) leaving him to just "do his thing"? Not sure what to think, but he looks like he was just ball'n, & I liked it!
    -Hibby: ...just...!!!
    Last edited by PacerGuy; 01-03-2010 at 12:47 PM.
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

Womens Wrestling Champion El Pacero's Avatar

Just got done watching the game on TV after watching at CFH last night. I think we're all in agreement here with this lineup, which is rare for this board, and hopefully JOB is going to use this same lineup against the Knicks. (Luther Head hasn't gotten enough props in this thread btw)

McFeisty proved he should get playing time and have the same chance as Hibbert & Rush to improve his game. If we always had either Hans, McBob and Foster in the lineup our movement and D would improve. That means someone needs to take out Troy's kneecaps, and if you can get TJ's in the same swipe I'll give you my Legends ticket.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Here's a weird statement.

Originally Posted by Roy Hibbert
    "We came out with good energy, didn’t have to dig ourselves out of a deep hole. We were having fun and playing good basketball. We tried to help each other on rebounding tonight, which opened up some paths for us.

What does that mean, exactly? It's hard for me not to think about the "Troy steals rebounds" meme, but I doubt that's what Roy meant by it.
    I'd say that's pretty much exactly what Roy meant by it.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    When 10 guys at a message board had the winning rotation figured out 20 games ago, it might be a sign your coach has problems.

Here's thing on "hey, JOB is finally getting it" - it took 3 years. I mean why does McRoberts start tonight? Not due to the last 2 games because he had 2 games just as good back to back last year and ended up planted on the bench right after that. If Jeff, Troy and Tyler are healthy do you really think Josh isn't in streets tonight?

TJ has been getting the green light so long it took J Jack going ballistic to fix it last year and then it started all over again this year.

Roy is your offensive anchor, you run plays off him and let him make those passes. He makes some mistakes but he more often makes really good passes to go with his own scoring ability. This allows you to set up your defense because if you do give up possession its down near the baseline typically. This was staring JOB in the face in Orlando where he coached the summer team, but when preseason hit he went right back to using Roy the way he had last year and asked him to keep up with the free wheeling runners instead.

I can't help but still think "too little, too late", although it's far better than not at all.

Josh did tip away tons of rebounds that either went out of bounds or were grabbed by another Pacer. There is no stat for that, or for rotating and forcing a guy to make another pass, but that's what he brings.

Price getting some legit PG time was great, he really keeps his cool even when he gets himself in trouble, like his drive where he got stuck under the rim with time winding down. Made the last second pass to get a short jumper rather than forcing up a dead shot against 2 bigger defenders like many guys would.

Rush looks better because he's playing with these system guys which puts him into his comfort zone. He lives for system play, for a traditional PG and a serious low post threat to work off of. In that style you see him recognize his role and responsibility much more, he anticipates where his shots are and what plays he'll need to make.

I guess if JOB has the guts and smarts to stick with what he's found he could win some games and keep his job. I don't know what to think because there are so many injuries that right now his only tough call is benching Ford. That's no small thing, but right now it's also only 1.5 games into it and with a team deep in the cellar. It's going to take a lot more to maintain this situation, or even tougher to actually go to Ford a little bit since he still clearly has impact value when used the right way.

Then again IMO Luther Head is filling the exact same role I'd have Ford in.
    A great post.

I'm quoting it to highlight my thanks to paragraphs 3,4,6, and 8.

But the first sentence is by far the best part.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

A good point was made that we don't give Luther Head enough props. The guy was our 15th player acquired in the summer, yet when called upon he's putting up starting SG numbers. I'm very glad to have him around.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    The big picture is if the Pacers don't start and continue giving fans some hope for the future there won't be an Indiana Pacers. If rearranging the rotations and even benching some guys actually starts giving fans some glimpses of light at the end of the tunnel then you don't worry about trying to increase someone's trade value. Especially if their realistic trade value is mainly in being an expiring contract anyway.

IMHO...
    That big picture doesn't really apply to some fans because we don't live in Indy or go to games. The Pacers move and I'm still a fan.

That big picture doesn't really apply to some fans because we don't live in Indy or go to games. The Pacers move and I'm still a fan.
    You are the minority.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    You are the minority.
    You wouldn't be a fan if they moved?

I don't know how to even reply to that logic in regards to the topic of the future of the Pacers.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

I wouldn't be.

------

-John Wooden

I'm from Indiana and I don't want them to move. And I don't expect them to move as long as Mel is owner. However, if they moved to Seattle, etc., I would still follow them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    I wouldn't be.
    Me neither.

-Lance Stephenson

In other words some of you aren't loyal to the team you are loyal to the Indiana Pacers? Not trying to start anything.

In other words some of you aren't loyal to the team you are loyal to the Indiana Pacers? Not trying to start anything.
    You got it. If the Pacers moved to Seattle, I'd absolutely follow someone else until another team came to Indy.

-Lance Stephenson

Are fans in Baltimore still pulling for the Colts?
    Last edited by pwee31; 01-03-2010 at 03:45 PM.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pwee31 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    I'd say that's pretty much exactly what Roy meant by it.
    Yeah, the more I look at it the more that's what I think.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

No.

If the team moved that would turn me off on them first off. So no, I would immediately cease being a fan of the Pacers. The NBA itself would drop several notches as well. It would be just about right there with the WWE without a local team to care about.

There's a chance a team might catch my attention for one reason or another (say a player with local/regional ties would make a huge splash)... but it would be different and it would certainly not be anything I'd follow closely (on forums, watching most every game, etc).

------

-John Wooden

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

If they ever move, I most likely would have a hard time watching another NBA game again, much less watch or root for the Pacers.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

You're speaking for a tiny tiny minority. Your logic goes against the basic principles of being a professional sports fan, that is, most people root for the hometown team. That's why most fans of teams are in the city/state they play in. People root for the home team because it gives them civic pride. The "Indianapolis" or "Indiana" name is faaaaaaaaar more important to me than any particular franchise.

I like the Indiana Pacers because they represent my home state. If I never lived in Indiana again I would still want them to stay there because them being the Indiana Pacers would still be a connection for me to Indiana. Heck, if I lived in Seattle I wouldn't want them to come their, I want them to stay in Indiana. The only reason I root for them is because they are the home team. If I would have been born in Boston then I would have been a Celtics fan.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 01-03-2010 at 04:42 PM.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Duh.