Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Postgame Thread (Spoiler Alert: Pacers Win!)

Default Re: The Postgame Thread (Spoiler Alert: Pacers Win!)

refreshing win! Especially with the small ball we had to play. Nice way to start the new year!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The people that have said McBob's going back to the bench real soon are probably right, unfortunately. It's a shame, because McBob shows something every time he gets playing time.

The kid has a really good basketball IQ. He's does things that do not necessarily show up in the stat box. His athleticism helps him keep balls alive even if he doesn't get the board himself. He makes good passes and he can actually create a shot for someone else, we have no other PF that can do that. His jump shot looks much improved over last season too.

I'd love to see Hans and McBob get most all the PF minutes. I like either one of them teamed up with Hibbert. I'd also like to see them even getting some minutes together.
    It would be easier to accept that if it were Danny Granger coming back and taking McBobs minutes, but the majority of his minutes will go to Murph.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

When 10 guys at a message board had the winning rotation figured out 20 games ago, it might be a sign your coach has problems.

Here's thing on "hey, JOB is finally getting it" - it took 3 years. I mean why does McRoberts start tonight? Not due to the last 2 games because he had 2 games just as good back to back last year and ended up planted on the bench right after that. If Jeff, Troy and Tyler are healthy do you really think Josh isn't in streets tonight?

TJ has been getting the green light so long it took J Jack going ballistic to fix it last year and then it started all over again this year.

Roy is your offensive anchor, you run plays off him and let him make those passes. He makes some mistakes but he more often makes really good passes to go with his own scoring ability. This allows you to set up your defense because if you do give up possession its down near the baseline typically. This was staring JOB in the face in Orlando where he coached the summer team, but when preseason hit he went right back to using Roy the way he had last year and asked him to keep up with the free wheeling runners instead.

I can't help but still think "too little, too late", although it's far better than not at all.

Josh did tip away tons of rebounds that either went out of bounds or were grabbed by another Pacer. There is no stat for that, or for rotating and forcing a guy to make another pass, but that's what he brings.

Price getting some legit PG time was great, he really keeps his cool even when he gets himself in trouble, like his drive where he got stuck under the rim with time winding down. Made the last second pass to get a short jumper rather than forcing up a dead shot against 2 bigger defenders like many guys would.

Rush looks better because he's playing with these system guys which puts him into his comfort zone. He lives for system play, for a traditional PG and a serious low post threat to work off of. In that style you see him recognize his role and responsibility much more, he anticipates where his shots are and what plays he'll need to make.

I guess if JOB has the guts and smarts to stick with what he's found he could win some games and keep his job. I don't know what to think because there are so many injuries that right now his only tough call is benching Ford. That's no small thing, but right now it's also only 1.5 games into it and with a team deep in the cellar. It's going to take a lot more to maintain this situation, or even tougher to actually go to Ford a little bit since he still clearly has impact value when used the right way.

Then again IMO Luther Head is filling the exact same role I'd have Ford in.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 01-03-2010 at 01:47 AM.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    I was looking forward to some game reports. Did no one attend in person?
    I was there.

AJ Price didn't disappoint (though to not deceive, he didn't wow either). I think he keeps the backup role for now.

This team was noticeably more pleasing to the eye and was red hot early, which happens when you combine smart passing with good shot making (off of looks created by the smart passing).

Mike still doesn't look right, but I noticed he doesn't wear a knee brace any more. You combine that with the fact that he's been cleared of any minute restrictions and can now exercise his legs, and I think it really isn't his knee giving him any serious trouble. I think it's something else (and I don't pretend to know what that is).

Rush looked better again tonight. More shots taken & made.

McRoberts looked nice again.

Roy had it going offensively and went 10 for 18 to go with 4 assists 3 blocks and I think 7 rebounds.

I'd like to see a healthy Danny and Tyler join this group and leave TJ and Murphy on the shelf.

Wow, I'd almost forgotten what that felt like.

I've said plenty already about who I'd like to see not playing, so I won't touch that issue. Let's just talk about the guys that played.

I missed the first half and part of the third quarter, so I'll just say this: I'm excited to see McBob getting the PT. Seth is going to be incorrigible.
    And the thing is it shouldn't be this way. It's not a shocker that Josh had these kinds of games because he did so last year too. He just barely got the PT. About 4-5 times he saw decent minutes, had solid games all around, and then nothing. Then he showed the same thing in summer before the minor injury. Again deep bench.

All I was doing was reporting what was there for all to see. Nothing much has changed except that perhaps Josh is even better now because his awareness seems pretty sharp with little green left to it at all.

There shouldn't have been any reason for someone like me to say "um, what about the one on the back, the giant shiny thing just sitting there, isn't it worth something maybe".

I mean it's not like the team is so rich with talent and success that it can afford to throw players away is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post

Then again IMO Luther Head is filling the exact same role I'd have Ford in.
    I'd assume that'd simply be, "scorer off the bench"

Then Luther is better at it. He can shoot, drives effectivly, and isn't turnover prone.

I'm curious to see how long the Ford benching lasts.

Personally, I hope Ford has to ACTUALLY beat out the two in front of him to get playing time.

Because I'll give Obie credit. He clearly likes to maintain the status quo, and is extremely uncomfortable with change. Price played a good game, but when things got tight, Obie stuck with Watson. Going back to what he knows. I can understand that choice, and with Watson, it certainly isn't a bad choice. But the choice shows one of Obie's weaknesses as a coach. He doesn't want things to change. So, the lineup changes have had to be hard for him. Benching Ford, has to be even harder. But I hope he continues doing it. Because JOB is right. The Watson/Price PG rotation DOES give Indiana the best chance of winning.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I was there.

I'd like to see a healthy Danny and Tyler join this group and leave TJ and Murphy on the shelf.
    Good F Luck on that one.

I mean maybe, but it seems questionable unless a trade makes it happen. Guys like Price and Josh go to the bench with the same old rhetoric we know by heart to justify it. Perhaps Rush and Roy will lose minutes too and we can hear about how their defense is letting us down or they aren't making the right plays on offense or they are passing up open shots or they don't have enough confidence...

What I saw was that when you ran a more traditional offense with more traditional roles and had players in there that like those roles, they played good basketball. They played like they knew what they were doing and could do it pretty well.

My scouting on Price last year and the year before was "good 2nd round steal target, solid playmaker PG who likes to take charge and run an offense, can hit jumpers when needed and sometimes will take over the shooting...not an ace defender...mature player with good awareness".

That's still him IMO. Not a starter, maybe, but if he's the 5th most talented starter and his job is to stir the drink, then I can see that easily. I'm glad Watson is here so he's not just seeing Ford's game in action.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    Hibbert has had 3 nice games in a row, but let's keep it in perspective as they were against Minnesota, Memphis, and Chicago. Let's not anoit him as the center of the future quite yet.
    Yes, I mean Jefferson, M Gasol and Noah are all worthless dogs, not true measuring sticks.

Just like McRoberts vs Love or Ty Thomas tells us nothing, or Price vs Flynn.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yes, I mean Jefferson, M Gasol and Noah are all worthless dogs, not true measuring sticks.

Just like McRoberts vs Love or Ty Thomas tells us nothing, or Price vs Flynn.
    Seth, there are a lot of times I strongly agree with you, but regardless, Roy had a good game. He did what he needed to do TONIGHT to get the job done.

Sure they may not be top-NBA talent, but heck they played the game too and obviously it didn't work out too well for the Wolves now, didn't it?

I honestly don't think it matters if it's Howard or Love. If you can come away smelling like a rose then I'll take it.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Duke - he's being sarcastic...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Sobchak For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

How many games do we win while Troy Murphy is in street clothes before it becomes a trend? I mean apparently 5 in a row wasn't enough.

Frankly, I'm so done with JOB at this point it isn't even funny. I don't even care if he sticks with this sort of youth is served rotation for the rest of the season. It is too ****ing late as far as I'm concerned when like Seth said, a bunch of guys on an internet message board were about a month ahead of your curve. I know I should be happy we won, but I see us play an exciting fun, brand of bball with Ford and Murphy logging zero time and I just think how in the hell does JOB not do this earlier?

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Banned

Its amazing how Hibbert looks like he knows what he is doing when Murphy isnt in the game.

I mean maybe, but it seems questionable unless a trade makes it happen. Guys like Price and Josh go to the bench with the same old rhetoric we know by heart to justify it.
    If Obie says that Murph is going to come back and take Josh's place "because Troy understands what we're trying to do on defense" I just might lose it.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Here's a weird statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Hibbert
    "We came out with good energy, didn’t have to dig ourselves out of a deep hole. We were having fun and playing good basketball. We tried to help each other on rebounding tonight, which opened up some paths for us."
    What does that mean, exactly? It's hard for me not to think about the "Troy steals rebounds" meme, but I doubt that's what Roy meant by it.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Some of you guys just don't see the big picture. We have to play Murphy and Ford if we want to get something out of them in a trade this year. However looking at the other side of the coin they will be coming off the payroll in a year and a half anyway.

One thing I noticed after getting to attend the Memphis game and watching the bench whenever I could during this game is that the bench guys (including Granger) seem to really react to AJ Price. Last night when he hit his first shot it was basically a meaningless jumper early in the game, but when he hits it Granger is out of his seat in his suit cheering him on. If we're going with the "players know who's good" theory, I'd guess that they know it's AJ.

At the Memphis game, I also noticed that the bench (again including Granger) was very into the game in the 4th quarter. It seems to me like there's a solid chemistry building between the new/young guys, and that the holdovers (Murph, Dun, Ford) are left on the outside trying to work their way in.

We all know that Murphy is going to play when he comes back. I don't mind that nearly as much as many people will. I just hope that we see less of the Murphy/Hibbert frontcourt. Roy gets exposed defensively when he's not playing alongside a more athletic player, and there's no reason to choose Troy over Roy.

The 3rd and 4th quarters did trouble me a bit. It often seems like once the motion in our offense dies, there's nothing that can be done to save it.

I really, really hope that we saw the real Brandon Rush tonight. I think that's a stat line he could put up very consistently for years to come.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    Some of you guys just don't see the big picture. We have to play Murphy and Ford if we want to get something out of them in a trade this year. However looking at the other side of the coin they will be coming off the payroll in a year and a half anyway.
    I understand. It's just so much more fun to watch when they're not out there.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    Some of you guys just don't see the big picture. We have to play Murphy and Ford if we want to get something out of them in a trade this year.
    Why?

It's not like they're out there improving their trade value.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Why?

It's not like they're out there improving their trade value.
    You've been here to long to play dumb with me, because I know you're not.

How about you answering your own question?

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    Two things I would like to have seen tonight:

- More AJ Price in the second half. He may have been the main difference between the great first and iffy second.

- More timouts by JOB when the thirty point lead started to dwindle. There were points where we dipped to 24, then below 20, where it would have helped to stop their momentum. You better betcha Rick Carlisle or Phil Jackson would have done just that.

But I'll take the win.
    Phil Jackson? He hardly ever calls timeouts

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

When 10 guys at a message board had the winning rotation figured out 20 games ago, it might be a sign your coach has problems.
    I first I figured you were being sarcastic. Winning rotation? Really? Beating the T-Wolves at home after they played the night before proves a winning rotation? I suppose by definition it won the game, but to suggest this is the winning rotation is way over-the-top. Looked to me like two of the three worst teams in the NBA playing.

I can see wanting the young guys to play for just to see the new guys or giving them a chance, but to claim this is a "winning rotation" that seems just wrong
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 01-03-2010 at 09:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    How many games do we win while Troy Murphy is in street clothes before it becomes a trend? I mean apparently 5 in a row wasn't enough.
    If we played the T-Wolves, Nets a slumping Knicks team - at the time an in turmnoil Wizards team and a terrible Warriors team, whether Murphy played or not the pacers would continue to win. The combined winning % of the teams the pacers have played when Murph has been out is probably 35% and probably 55% when he's been in the lineup.

Clearly we're not going to beat every team playing like this... the team is still short on talent. But I'd root for THIS team all season long, and I'll never complain about a loss if the guys lay it all on the floor like they did tonight.

Absolutely, I can't agree more. This is type of play is what I've been missing. Even in losses if this type of play is shown I can live with the losses, but I can't live with the going thru the motions of a bunch of apathetic players.

Once guys start coming back? I'd love to see something more like this:

Hibbert / Solo
    McBob / Tyler
    Granger / Dun
    Jones / Brandon
    Earl / Price

With Foster and Head rounding out the 12-man roster. Even without TJ or Troy, there's not enough minutes to go around.
    The way Head's been playing, he needs more than just rounding out the roster space.

Sorry, I didn't see you mention those games where he was abused. Did you forget, didn't see the games, or it was just convenient to not mention them?

Yes, Hibbert had 3 nice games, but again they were against teams that at the time ALL had losing records. 3 games against losing teams does not make an 82 game season. AND yes, I'm enjoyed watching Hibbert play those games, but at the sametime I'm not ready to anoit Hibbert as the Pacers center of the future. I prefer to allow the season to playout b4 I prematurely climb on the Hibbert bandwaggon as some are doing. 10 good games this season out of 32 does not mean he's the future for the Pacers at center either, but I don't feel Jimmy's system/style has been the best for the development of Hibbert either. What I said was keep those 3 games in perspective. 3 games doesn't make a true indicator of Hibbert's quality for the future either. Those fans that do are just setting themselves up for a major let down if all Hibbert turns out to be nothing more than a journeyman center.

Yes, I've read your numerous posts about if Hibbert does turn out as b/u center that it's ok b/c he was drafted at #17. Sorry, I'm not buying it. If he does, then it was a waste of a draft pick when the Pacers could least afford it. Same applies to Rush.