Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: The Postgame Thread (Spoiler Alert: Pacers Win!)

Default Re: The Postgame Thread (Spoiler Alert: Pacers Win!)

We're going to get a pick somewhere between #3 and #9, I think. Unless Danny makes a very big impact when he comes back.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We're going to get a pick somewhere between #3 and #9, I think. Unless Danny makes a very big impact when he comes back.
    I feel he same way too

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    I don't care how much a person dislikes Bird, nobody's suggesting that he'd pass on John Wall.
    I just did.

This is a kid that got cited for B&E while in high school. Believe me, I don't think John Wall is a bad kid or even necessarily someone to be avoided (Though there are questions about his SATs also IIRC), but man if the Pacers were to take him and it blew up in their faces it'd be the death knell of this franchise.

Clearly, I'd take him without a second's hesitation, I think he makes Derrick Rose look downright average, but it's not my decision.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    I just did.

This is a kid that got cited for B&E while in high school. Believe me, I don't think John Wall is a bad kid or even necessarily someone to be avoided (Though there are questions about his SATs also IIRC), but man if the Pacers were to take him and it blew up in their faces it'd be the death knell of this franchise.

Clearly, I'd take him without a second's hesitation, I think he makes Derrick Rose look downright average, but it's not my decision.
    Bird is a lot of things. He isn't entirely stupid. He'd take Wall. No doubt about it.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post

Bird is a lot of things. He isn't entirely stupid. He'd take Wall. No doubt about it.

My concern really isn't whether Bird would take John Wall, it's who he will draft at 3-9. I'm not up on the mock drafts, but with the rationale Bird has used to pick players in the draft the last 2 drafts who are the projected 1-10 players who have spent 4 years in college?

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    My concern really isn't whether Bird would take John Wall, it's who he will draft at 3-9. I'm not up on the mock drafts, but with the rationale Bird has used to pick players in the draft the last 2 drafts who are the projected 1-10 players who have spent 4 years in college?
    Probably Hargondy or Singler.

Stanley Robinson is technically a senior..but...well I doubt Bird would pick him *good*

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    What rationale are you speaking of? We have no idea what Bird looks for in a top 10 pick.

The only thing we know is that picking 13+ in the draft is picking in "Role-player land", and that Bird seems to prefer his role-players to have 4 years of college under their belts.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I first I figured you were being sarcastic. Winning rotation? Really? Beating the T-Wolves at home after they played the night before proves a winning rotation? I suppose by definition it won the game, but to suggest this is the winning rotation is way over-the-top. Looked to me like two of the three worst teams in the NBA playing.

I can see wanting the young guys to play for just to see the new guys or giving them a chance, but to claim this is a "winning rotation" that seems just wrong
    Buck, let's not play it naive. You don't really think I mean that the style or group I'm talking about should win 50 games right now. I know you don't think that.

We are talking about the difference between a 15 win team or a 35 win team. We are talking about a style and approach that with Danny back next season could win 45 games IF, IF, IF you adjust now, develop guys now, and start going in something closer to the direction we saw vs Minny.

We saw a different QUALITY of play. It's not the win, it's that there was a continuity between the players and a recognizable and sound strategy. I knew that while Jefferson could score at one end, we could come back and get a reliable score with Roy at the other.

Having a scoring solution AHEAD OF TIME that you can lean on gives a team some direction. Going down to offense wondering where the shot might come from and if it should be you or not is not a reassuring or motivating strategy.

See, that's the "sounds good on paper" aspect of JOB's solution from when he first arrived - "they'll play hard defense if I let them shoot at will on offense". I don't think quality players actually feel that way. They don't want to be "let free", they want to sense a real direction and method. I think that's more true for young players coming from solid college backgrounds. 3-4 years at places like Duke, Gtown and KS teach you the benefit of organized play at both ends.

So how do you motivate a guy like Roy or DJones with "run n gun" as the first 10 pages of the offensive playbook. Bust butt on defense and you earn the chance to squander it 5 seconds into the clock with an undeveloped barely open long jumper.

I think we see from week to week a slow, almost grudging change in either rotations or strategies. I guess that's good, but the fact that it feels like we have to watch answers scream out for so long before they are acknowledged bugs me.

And then it means we complain for months instead of days and it turns into some fanboy club to people that disagree. We suddenly aren't saying "hey, play Price a little, let's check him out" and turns into "Price is the greatest, he'll take the team to the Finals"...but we were never saying that at all.

If we pick anywhere past #1 i'm betting we'd take Cole Aldrich or Evan Turner.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Spirit For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Well, our winning Minny line up laid an egg tonight.

But, that's .500 ball, a lot better then our recent 8 game losing streak.

I hope JOB gives this crew a few more games to see how they do.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Bust butt on defense and you earn the chance to squander it 5 seconds into the clock with an undeveloped barely open long jumper.
    About the only issue I have with that comment is in fact I don't think you necessarily have to bust butt on the defensive end to actually please O'Brien...
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Wage View Post

We have no idea what Bird looks for in a top 10 pick.

AND it scares the heck out of me.

Bird is trying to rebuild and he's using a conservative approach to doing it, so why would one expect Bird to change? Bird CAN'T afford to screw up this draft, so he'll take the conservative approach again.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    Buck, let's not play it naive. You don't really think I mean that the style or group I'm talking about should win 50 games right now. I know you don't think that.

We are talking about the difference between a 15 win team or a 35 win team. We are talking about a style and approach that with Danny back next season could win 45 games IF, IF, IF you adjust now, develop guys now, and start going in something closer to the direction we saw vs Minny.

We saw a different QUALITY of play. It's not the win, it's that there was a continuity between the players and a recognizable and sound strategy. I knew that while Jefferson could score at one end, we could come back and get a reliable score with Roy at the other.
    This team with Danny isn't going to win 35 games. 45 games next season? unless there are huge upgrades of talent from several positions? I don't see that as a possibility. OK, I'll play along though, a lineup with Roy, Tyler, Danny, Price (I don't know who you want at shooting guard) with Josh backiong up. They might win 32 games if things fall right and if they have a decent shooting guard.

This whole idea that you and others are trying to sell bothered me all day yesterday, the 5 game winning streak legend and all the issues related to that just really bothers me. I have been on Pacers message boards since October of 2000 and this specific issue has me about as upset as I have been.

I know I have not done a good job arguing against it, mainly because I don't know the best method too - probably time will show how meaningless those 5 games were.

Wasn't Bird looking to move up to grab Tyreke Evans last year? Seeing as he was one of the riskiest players in the lottery, i'd say that was anything but conservative.