Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Postgame Thread (Spoiler Alert: Pacers Win!)

Default The Postgame Thread (Spoiler Alert: Pacers Win!)

Wow, I'd almost forgotten what that felt like.

I've said plenty already about who I'd like to see not playing, so I won't touch that issue. Let's just talk about the guys that played.

I missed the first half and part of the third quarter, so I'll just say this: I'm excited to see McBob getting the PT. Seth is going to be incorrigible.
    Last edited by Anthem; 01-02-2010 at 10:48 PM.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Default Re: The Postgame Thread (Spoiler Alert: Pacers Win!)

I hope all the McRoberts fans enjoyed that one. He'll get one more tomorrow night before he hits the bench again.

Hibberts stat line is amazing.

27 min, 21 pts, 7 rbs, 4 asts, 3 blks, 1 stl, 1 to, 4 pf, 10-18 fg

Turns out we did "Lopez" him.
    "I keep wondering the same thing. Last week they had the 4th worst record in the league, had an 11.9 percent chance of winning the lottery and were in line to land a franchise type player like Derrick Favors or DeMarcus Cousins. This week? They have a 1.7 percent chance of winning the lottery, have the 8th worst record and are in line to draft Cole Aldrich or Greg Monroe. Way to go Jim O'Brien. Rest Danny Granger the rest of the season (if it isn't too late) and give Josh McRoberts lots of minutes. That ought to do it." - Chad Ford on winning meaningless games

Way to go Jim, you may have just put our franchise back another 4+ years.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thesterovic For This Useful Post:

Yeah that was a forgotten feeling, winning! But more so it was refreshing to see the guys who did play, leave it all on the floor. Head, Hibbert, and B.rush played great! Dun was good in the first half but didn't score in the second half, so he gets some love, but his conditioning seems to need work, but glad to see him play better. Mcbobs energy was great, especially in the first half, and his steal near the end of the game is worth mentioning.
    Last edited by odeez; 01-02-2010 at 10:48 PM.
    Avatar photo credit: Bahram Mark Sobhani - AP

Quote Originally Posted by Thesterovic View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hibberts stat line is amazing.

27 min, 21 pts, 7 rbs, 4 asts, 3 blks, 1 stl, 1 to, 4 pf, 10-18 fg

Turns out we did "Lopez" him.
    Yes, love seeing him play well, we do have our center for the future, I would just love to see him continue to improve, and I think he will!
    Avatar photo credit: Bahram Mark Sobhani - AP

8. The Following User Says Thank You to odeez For This Useful Post:

Hibbert has had 3 nice games in a row, but let's keep it in perspective as they were against Minnesota, Memphis, and Chicago. Let's not anoit him as the center of the future quite yet.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

I was pleading with JOB to put Hibbert back in at the end. To his credit he did, and Roy hit one or two big shots down the stretch, along with some assists.

Roy is just what we need in half court sets down the stretch. It sure is nice to win.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

He clearly benefits from having a defensive minded PF next to him. It is so huge. I could not believe when I saw us clog the paint and stop penetration. It was beautiful.

Add Granger and Hans to the mix and that will help Roy too.

Credit where credit is due, I was pleased with Jims gameplan and lineups for the most part. Yeah there was that bad 3rd quarter, but let's face it, we have a bad team, that is to be expected. Benching Ford was a good move and I applaud him for finally coming to his senses. Now if we can just get him to bench Murph and run the offense through Hibbert, I might actually start sticking up for the coach, I will at least stop calling for a change.

Feeding Hibbert is the best strategy for these guys, an inside outside game. Plus, the more burn Hibbert gets and the more the offense runs through him, the better he is going to be.

It is night and day the difference in Roy's play when Murph is not out there with him. Those 2 are such a horrible combination together, I hope we don't have to see them together at the same time again.

So Jim gets a thumbs up from me, I am very pessimistic that everything will go back to how it was once Murph is back, but for now I can enjoy the games, and be confident in our guys and gameplan of running the offense through Hibbert.

I know this team is bad, and we played a terrible team, but we go from worst to sorta bad when we do what we did tonight.
    Last edited by PaceBalls; 01-02-2010 at 11:14 PM.

Of course I miss this game.

Please Obie..continue to play the competent point guards.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Two things I would like to have seen tonight:

- More AJ Price in the second half. He may have been the main difference between the great first and iffy second.

- More timouts by JOB when the thirty point lead started to dwindle. There were points where we dipped to 24, then below 20, where it would have helped to stop their momentum. You better betcha Rick Carlisle or Phil Jackson would have done just that.

But I'll take the win.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Price is really, really good IMO. The more he plays, the better and more confident he looks out there. He's also a pretty good defensive player. There's not much I don't like about his style.

He actually reminds me of a real PG.

Edit: Goodness, 6 assists in 14 minutes. 3 boards, no turnovers, 1 steal and 8 points. Rookie out of the second round? Are you kidding me?
    Last edited by BlueNGold; 01-02-2010 at 11:22 PM.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Interesting factoid. The last two games are the first two since the infamous 5 game winning streak where Dahntay Jones has shot over 50% in consecutive outings. I think this has something to do with the way we are playing with tonight's players...

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    Interesting factoid. The last two games are the first two since the infamous 5 game winning streak where Dahntay Jones has shot over 50% in consecutive outings. I think this has something to do with the way we are playing with tonight's players...
    He was a lot more successful taking it to the rim tonight. For whatever reason...more 3s dropping opening up the middle, or Dahntay himself pushing toward the basket instead of stopping and popping.
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

He clearly benefits from having a defensive minded PF next to him. It is so huge. I could not believe when I saw us clog the paint and stop penetration. It was beautiful.
    That play at the end where Hibbert blocked the shot and Mac came down with the rebound? Beautiful. I hope to see that combo many more times in the future.

Clearly we're not going to beat every team playing like this... the team is still short on talent. But I'd root for THIS team all season long, and I'll never complain about a loss if the guys lay it all on the floor like they did tonight. I think this rotation would have gotten us more wins so far than the one we've been using.

Once guys start coming back? I'd love to see something more like this:

Hibbert / Solo
    McBob / Tyler
    Granger / Dun
    Jones / Brandon
    Earl / Price

With Foster and Head rounding out the 12-man roster. Even without TJ or Troy, there's not enough minutes to go around.
    Last edited by Anthem; 01-02-2010 at 11:35 PM.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Our PG numbers for the night:

20 pts, 7 rb, 15 ast, 2 to

If you include Head:

41 pts, 11 rb, 21 ast, 3 to

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    That play at the end where Hibbert blocked the shot and Mac came down with the rebound? Beautiful. I hope to see that combo many more times in the future.

Clearly we're not going to beat every team playing like this... the team is still short on talent. But I'd root for THIS team all season long, and I'll never complain about a loss if the guys lay it all on the floor like they did tonight. I think this rotation would have gotten us more wins so far than the one we've been using.

Hibbert / Solo
    McBob / Tyler
    Granger / Dun
    Jones / Brandon
    Earl / Price

With Foster and Head rounding out the 12-man roster. Even without TJ or Troy, there's not enough minutes to go around.
    That's basically my depth chart if I called the shots. It's amazing how well your front court can play when they complement each other.

Against certain lineups, I might swap Foster in there...but I think you nailed it.

That's basically my depth chart if I called the shots. It's amazing how well your front court can play when they complement each other.

Against certain lineups, I might swap Foster in there...but I think you nailed it.
    That's definitely close to the rotation I'd prefer to see as well, once Granger/Dunleavy/Foster are healthy.

Formerly QuickRelease NapTonius Monk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    Two things I would like to have seen tonight:

- More AJ Price in the second half. He may have been the main difference between the great first and iffy second.

- More timouts by JOB when the thirty point lead started to dwindle. There were points where we dipped to 24, then below 20, where it would have helped to stop their momentum. You better betcha Rick Carlisle or Phil Jackson would have done just that.

But I'll take the win.
    I was going to mention this. JOB doesn't seem to take a lot of timeouts when the momentum is shifting toward the other side.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I thought we were going to lose this game at the end, just because of the foul trouble. With all the foul trouble and not very many big body's available, we could have really used Hans tonight.

Even if we had lost, it would have still been one of the most enjoyable games of the season. The young guys played hard and performed pretty well.

Throw in Hans and healthy Granger and this is a team I can really like.

I was looking forward to some game reports. Did no one attend in person?

Enjoy your time at PD!

Good game, but I feel for McBob, after tomorrow night he'll be riding the pine, unfortunately he didn't show much tonight that would earn him extra playing time over Hans, or take some away from Murphy. He showed alot of heads up plays though, those intangibles. We thought it was Jeff Foster out there at first.

Roy ended up with a -2, again shows how dumb the +/- really is.
    Last edited by theboyjwo; 01-03-2010 at 12:49 AM.

what did you guys think of aj price's playing on fellow rookie johnny flynn?

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post

Hibbert / Solo
    McBob / Tyler
    Granger / Dun
    Jones / Brandon
    Earl / Price

how about luther head? hes been really great for us..

31. The Following User Says Thank You to BornReady For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

The people that have said McBob's going back to the bench real soon are probably right, unfortunately. It's a shame, because McBob shows something every time he gets playing time.

The kid has a really good basketball IQ. He's does things that do not necessarily show up in the stat box. His athleticism helps him keep balls alive even if he doesn't get the board himself. He makes good passes and he can actually create a shot for someone else, we have no other PF that can do that. His jump shot looks much improved over last season too.

I'd love to see Hans and McBob get most all the PF minutes. I like either one of them teamed up with Hibbert. I'd also like to see them even getting some minutes together.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hoop For This Useful Post: