Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: TJ FORD NOT PLAYING?

Default Re: TJ FORD NOT PLAYING?

he is almost getting the Tinsley treatment.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=14875')

I thought I would add this to the TJ not playing thread. I know we have a ESPN one going too. Thought it was interesting, his take on the situation.

Dealing With T.J.: The Indiana Pacers have decided to put T.J. Ford on the bench for the foreseeable future. The decision according to head coach Jim O'Brien was about putting a different look on the floor that includes rookie A.J. Price. O'Brien swears it has nothing to do with T.J. as a person, but there is little doubt that Ford truly doesn't fit O'Brien's system.

T.J. has never lived up to his mega money contract, despite being a very good guy who is extremely personable. T.J. is a ball-dominating guard and that's a bad fit in an "everyone touches the ball" offense.

Add Ford's $8.7 million contract this year, and player option for $8.7 million next, and the Pacers are likely stuck with another guard on the roster they simply have no plans to use.

Ford took the news of his benching in stride, saying he just had to be a professional about it and cheer on his team.

"I just have to stay professional," Ford said to Mike Wells of the Indianapolis Star. "I have to come in and do what I need to do keep myself ready. At the end of the day it's a business, you have to just respect their decision and go from there. This is the first time that I've had to deal with a situation to this extent."

"I still don't know, I'm still in limbo," he said. "Do I plan on talking to him about it? No, not really. What's done is what's done. I'm here. If they decide to (trade me) it's not because of me, it's because they choose to."

"I'm not forcing anybody's hand. Just going to support the people that's playing the same way they supported me when I was playing. There's no salty feelings. It is what it is."

HOOPSWORLD recently talked with T.J. about his situation and he admitted quite frankly that while the situation wasn't ideal from a losing point of view that he was not trying to force a trade. T.J. reminded that he understood all too clearly how the business worked. His exact words were: "If a trade happens, it's not because I was looking for it to happen."

Jim O'Brien made it clear that T.J. was being a real pro about the situation and that he's handled the news with poise.

"He responded like the man I know he is," Pacers coach Jim O'Brien said of Ford. "He said, 'Coach, I'll do whatever. You've got to make the decision, and I'll do whatever I need to do to make this a better basketball team.' I have the ultimate respect for him, and I really like T.J. a lot, but sometimes you have to make decisions that impact people you like."

Pacers' management has tried to move Ford in trade, but the fact that T.J.'s numbers (9.9 points per game and 3.6 assists) are off his career averages and he has dollars owed next year – that makes for a tough combination to move.

The Pacers have been as active as anyone trying to find deals to improve their squad and you can bet that any deal the Pacers trigger before the trade deadline includes T.J. Ford, however the Pacers may have to put in some sweeteners if they really want to move him.
    Avatar photo credit: Bahram Mark Sobhani - AP

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    he is almost getting the Tinsley treatment.
    I do not think that means what you think it means.

Seriously, which Tinsley treatment are you talking about? If you are talking about his sophomore year in the league where he got shifted way down the rotation after starting, yeah, OK, but that wasn't JOB so how is it relevant? If you are talking about the most recent Tinsley situation, then being moved to the back of the rotation is nowhere near being told you aren't welcome in the arena.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

BillS. I guess by the Tinsley treatment I meant benching him, although as you point out it isn't a good comparison. Just an offhanded comment by me.

On to a related topic. if you heard O'Brien's radio show last week you heard him raving about Watson's leadership and how he'll be an excellent coach someday. I think that is one huge reason why he's starting, plus I'm sensing there was a lot of unrest between Ford and some of his teammates. Reading between the lines on Wells latest article seems like some players didn't enjoy playing with Ford. So Watson and Price seem to be improving team chemistry
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 01-07-2010 at 01:36 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Too bad we can't trade him for J. Jack.....

8. The Following User Says Thank You to threein73 For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Anybody think Watson should be resigned for next year? I sure do.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    I was actually going to make a thread about that. Why not discuss it here? I fully agree, but I am not sure what that will make for AJ Price if Ford is still around by then.

I'm curious, where do you guys think TJ will end up? What team could use a player like him?

Also, a little off topic but I'm really liking AJ Price. What happens if lightning strikes and we get John Wall in the draft? Maybe it's just me, but I really think AJ has a chance of starting someday.

If he starts this season, and has success, then we'll lose him like we did with Jack. He's making $2.8mm this season, and unless we clear significant payroll for next year, I highly doubt we'd be in a position to offer him anything more than the vet min.

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    I was actually going to make a thread about that. Why not discuss it here? I fully agree, but I am not sure what that will make for AJ Price if Ford is still around by then.
    You know, I'm tired of these prima donnas or whatever it is that makes JOS walk on tip toes so as not to offend the psyches of these precious little multimillionaires.

Watson being around and Ford being around are two different things. Apples and oranges. Watson doesn't pout. Watson is a future coach. Watson is great to have off the bench when you need him.

In terms of the development of AJ, you could argue that Watson would be more of a plus than a minus.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    If he starts this season, and has success, then we'll lose him like we did with Jack. He's making $2.8mm this season, and unless we clear significant payroll for next year, I highly doubt we'd be in a position to offer him anything more than the vet min.
    Crud.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

I'm not a fan of Watson returning next year really. Not that I don't like having him start, but I think he shows his age at times, he certainly has his own troubles keeping guards in front of him, and doesn't always really have the outside shot going.

I'd just as soon get on with working up Price whom I think can put up very similar numbers to Watson even by next year. Now if you swap them as starter/bench and DON'T draft a PG, then okay.

But as Count said you might not get him back anyway, and if you have to pay him too much to return then he doesn't make sense as a backup.

There is a lot of risk here with the "better than the other guy" effect that makes us overlook some of the flaws. I'm pleased with Watson as a signing, I just don't want to make the mistake of overdoing it.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Depends if the Pacers decide Price is the answer as the back-up point guard. If he is, then the Pacers need to get their starting point guard and as much as I like Watson, he isn't it

No use making a big deal out of this, ESPN's did it before. A couple weks ago they had one about Hans. Today one of their rumor headlines says this,

However when you go there it doesn't say anything about TJ going anywhere. It just rehashes him being demoted.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/features/rumors
    Will Ford ask for a trade?

T.J. Ford has been demoted from a starter to the third-string point guard recently, but he won't ask for a trade.
    "I've never requested a trade, and I won't request a trade," Ford told The Indianapolis Star Wednesday. "It's my job to come out and do what they pay me to do. Right now it's limited, but it doesn't stop me from continuing to improve myself and my game."
    Ford is making $8.5 million this season and has a $8.5 million player option for next season, which he'll pick up.
    "I think we could all do things different and better," Ford said. "Fortunately I think both parties hate that it came down to this. I think there's a better light at the end of tunnel. I think for me, it's keeping my spirits high, continue to smile. I just try to be the same person and not let these things affect me."
    ---------------------------------

ESPN = THE RUMOR NETWORK

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    I'm tired of being on the one year leadership rental plan. Can we get a vocal leader on this team that isn't on a one year deal? Maybe DJones will be that when Earl is gone.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

"Everyone's values are defined by what they will tolerate when it is done to others." - William Greider

He already is.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman02 View Post
    I'm curious, where do you guys think TJ will end up? What team could use a player like him?

Also, a little off topic but I'm really liking AJ Price. What happens if lightning strikes and we get John Wall in the draft? Maybe it's just me, but I really think AJ has a chance of starting someday.
    I think Wall is like Evans, who was like Wade before him.

They can play the point, but are better suited for shooting guard.

But then Indiana makes a decision. Do you start Price/Wall or Wall/Rush.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    I'm not a fan of Watson returning next year really. Not that I don't like having him start, but I think he shows his age at times, he certainly has his own troubles keeping guards in front of him, and doesn't always really have the outside shot going.

I'd just as soon get on with working up Price whom I think can put up very similar numbers to Watson even by next year.
    Now if you swap them as starter/bench and DON'T draft a PG, then okay.

But as Count said you might not get him back anyway, and if you have to pay him too much to return then he doesn't make sense as a backup.

There is a lot of risk here with the "better than the other guy" effect that makes us overlook some of the flaws. I'm pleased with Watson as a signing, I just don't want to make the mistake of overdoing it.
    Now, I'm not sure that it'll continue..

But AJ has averaged about nine points and 3 assists and 3 rebounds in his 15 minutes of game time he's seen the last three games.

Earl's averaging a little more than 7 points, a little more than 3 rebounds and about 4 assists in 25+ minutes.

Quite frankly I think AJ could have better numbers than Earl THIS season.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ar...ut_of_indiana/

T.J. Ford's is limited to play in practice because Jim O'Brien has no intention of playing him anytime soon. Ford hasn't played in the past three games, including the 43-point loss at New York on Sunday.

"I've come to grips with it," Ford said. "Initially, first hearing the news on game day (Saturday) was definitely tough. It was shocking. It's a business.

"I've been dealing with a lot of adversity throughout my professional career, so you just use this as an experience."

Ford won't ask for a trade, though the Pacers may attempt to move him.

"I've never requested a trade, and I won't request a trade," Ford said. "It's my job to come out and do what they pay me to do. Right now it's limited, but it doesn't stop me from continuing to improve myself and my game."

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

He already is.
    Yep. If you go to games close enough to notice, Roy and DJones seem to be the most vocal, passionate guys out there. It's not that other guys don't care or aren't vocal, just that those 2 are the most vested in it.

DJ made a bad play the other night and slapped himself in the head a couple of times afterward. So he's "into it".

Watson has a lot of that fire too though.