Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TJ FORD NOT PLAYING?

MIP for 2013-2014 season docpaul's Avatar

Default Re: TJ FORD NOT PLAYING?

Quote Originally Posted by odeez View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I Wanted to see what your guys thoughts were on TJ not playing tonight? Was there an injury? It says DNP COACH'S DECISION. I am fine with his minutes being cut, but to not play at all, makes you wonder. It was great in terms of the players that got minutes tonight, they played well and deserved to be on the floor. What are your thoughts on TJ not playing?
    I think this is actually a pretty damn big deal, and might represent a turning point for the morale of the team.

I think the clear message that had been sent prior to the 2nd half of the Memphis game was: "regardless of the effort you put in, if you're getting starter's salary, you're going to be out on the court"... and there's nothing that's more demoralizing for the rooks then knowing that hard work isn't rewarded. I think DJones has been dead on with his comments, and they clearly center around Ford.

One potential development to look out for: benching TJ for the rest of the year, in the hopes that he'll forfeit his contract option year.

I think this is the beginning of the end of seeing complacent TJ. He'll either man up, or he'll be riding the pine. Likely won't be out on the court in his current form, though.

Hey we won the game, so I'm happy. Maybe he'll get his act together. As long as it's not another Tinsley situation and he gets sent home and becomes untradeable. I mean he does have a player option next year, that he'll be a fool not to pick up.

Mood

I think I am with the most in that I am hoping it was in preparation for a pending/upcoming trade.

Mood

I want to point out in fairness to TJ Ford that you could see him on the bench cheering. Even specifically for his current replacement, AJ Price, when he drilled a 3 pointer. Says a lot about his character.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I want to point out in fairness to TJ Ford that you could see him on the bench cheering. Even specifically for his current replacement, AJ Price, when he drilled a 3 pointer. Says a lot about his character.
    That's the thing with Ford.

Like, he does seem like a good guy. I could see a possibility of complaining about playing time, but overall..seems like the qualities about the guy that are unlikeable, are mainly oncourt stuff. He's just either not a good fit for the team, or not a good player.

He seems to be good to the rookies specifically. But I've heard plenty of news reports say that the team gets along fine, but the oncourt Chemistry sucks.

Which is why, I really wouldn't like to see the guy Tinsley'd or treated like..many of the other idiots in this league. *I get the feeling arenas is next*...so a trade is preferable. Give him a chance..just..somewhere else.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

I Want Pacers Autographs pristinecollector's Avatar

You're absolutely right Hicks, he was cheering his team on even though he was sitting.

Another thing about TJ....I went to the Locker Room Restaurant with about 4 minutes left in the 4th quarter. TJ was in the tunnel signing autographs for about 5 kids, 10-11 year olds. I thought it was strange he was in the tunnel at this time. Maybe he had to use the restroom and on his way out the kids stopped him. Anyway, my wife asked why he wasn't playing. TJ looked at her and just said, "I don't know". I feel for the guy on a personal level because I think he's a good person.

Sports Logo

Okay....I don't know about you....but if this continues where TJ is in street clothes or his minutes significantly cut ( which I doubt will last too much longer ).....I'm waiting for the inevitable "blow-up" by TJ to the media or rumors that he's not happy...wants a trade....blah-blah-blah. I don't get the impression that TJ is the type to stay quiet for too long if he's being benched/punished for some reason....legit or not.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

It would be some what foolish for him to say he wants a trade if he has limited trade value, don't you think?

Second of all, he's not going to forfeit the option on his contract - who else would pay him as much as we are?

Seems his only option, if he is unhappy - is to man up. Dahntay isn't the only person to call TJ Ford out, Jarrett Jack did it last year.
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

Quote Originally Posted by Kaufman View Post
    It would be some what foolish for him to say he wants a trade if he has limited trade value, don't you think?

Second of all, he's not going to forfeit the option on his contract - who else would pay him as much as we are?

Seems his only option, if he is unhappy - is to man up. Dahntay isn't the only person to call TJ Ford out, Jarrett Jack did it last year.
    If he stays behind Watson and AJ in the lineup he might.

Money is obviously worth a lot of consideration. But guys who think they should be playing, get really really frustrated when they don't. If we don't play him, he might not want to sit on the bench for another year. If there was a team that would offer him 5 million, he might do it.

There is the possibility that if the cap continues to drop that Ford would get better contract value THIS offseason than next. I don't think him picking up his option is as sure a bet as it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozwalt72 View Post
    There is the possibility that if the cap continues to drop that Ford would get better contract value THIS offseason than next. I don't think him picking up his option is as sure a bet as it seems.
    TJ Ford isn't leaving $8.5M on the table. It's not happening.

Who is going to offer him a long term deal to make him want to walk away from $8.5M? If no other team does, nobody is going to leave that money on the table in the name of playing time.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to d_c For This Useful Post:

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post

Who is going to offer him a long term deal to make him want to walk away from $8.5M? If no other team does, nobody is going to leave that money on the table in the name of playing time.
    No chance.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Womens Wrestling Champion El Pacero's Avatar

I was going to say the same thing. And I don't think I've ever admitted it here, but the beginning of last season I went to Bob's Cellular in Westfield to get TJ's autograph. I brought a blue Pacers ball and a fancy white marker for him to sign it with. Well he shakes the pen, the cap falls off, and drops of white ink spray all over him.... his hands, his arms, oh the agony. I thought I was going to die. He looked to make sure his designer jeans and shirt didn't get any ink, and then was pretty cool considering what had just happened. For some reason I stuck around, maybe to try to feel a little better about the situation, and ended up showing him PD on the computer he was on. He was a laid back, cool, nice guy - especially since I had just got ink all over him!

But I still want to trade him. We need to deal with this soon because he can be a pretty vocal guy on Twitter and elsewhere. We benched Tinsley because of his off court antics, it wouldn't be fair to TJ to do the same thing for the rest of the season. He would get playing time on a team that was a better fit for him . . . whoever that would be!

Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post

But the way it is looking is that there will be significantly more money available next year vs the year after.

The kind of contract he would get next year is likely to be better than the one he would get the year after. There are teams that will miss out on the big tickets and have all this money left over to play around with. I'm not saying he is GOING to opt out. I'm saying that the "8.5" isn't quite "8.5"...SOMEONE would be willing to give him a contract for the MLE...and if that figure is ,say, 2 mil more over the life of the contract than it would be the next year... it wouldn't be inconceivable.

I still put it at about 10%, but if his seat on the bench is permanent he will think about it.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ar...pg_in_indiana/

Pacers point guard T.J. Ford will be the team's third option behind Earl Watson and rookie A.J. Price until he proves to coach Jim O'Brien that he belongs in the rotation.

"It's a matter of playing the people you think give you the best opportunity to win," O'Brien said Saturday.

Prior to Indiana's win over Minnesota, they had lost eight consecutive games.

"We're trying to put perimeter guys on the court that can all space the court, and we think that A.J. has the capabilities of being a guy that can not only space the court but is very effective off of pick-and-rolls, and we like the way the offense moves when he's on the basketball court," O'Brien added.
    hopefully troy's next and i know it will hurt their trade value..............but i think they need to be benched to give us a better chance of winning.
    Last edited by sportfireman; 01-03-2010 at 02:13 PM.

http://www.indycornrows.com/2010/1/3...fter?ref=yahoo

T.J. Ford made it clear Saturday night that he isn't going to play the prima donna card after being benched during a win against the Timberwolves. Well, at least for now.

After receiving his first DNP-CD box score line for the first time in a year, Ford has officially dropped out of the playing rotation and is currently the No. 4 point guard for the Indiana Pacers behind Earl Watson, Luther Head and rookie A.J. Price. Head and Watson started as the team's backcourt Saturday as each totaled more than 34 minutes and they combined for 33 points, 15 assists and only three turnovers. Price added eight points and six dishes off the bench.

After the game, Ford told Mike Wells of the Indianapolis Star that he will accept his new role in a professional manner, but he doesn't understand what has prompted coach Jim O'Brien to keep his season-opening starter on the bench.

"I just have to stay professional. I have to come in and do what I need to do keep myself ready. At the end of the day it's a business, you have to just respect their decision and go from there. This is the first time that I've had to deal with a situation to this extent."

[On why he was benched] "I still don't know, I'm still in limbo. Do I plan on talking to (coach O'Brien) about it? No, not really. What's done is what's done. I'm here. If they decide to (trade me) it's not because of me, it's because they choose to. I'm not forcing anybody's hand. Just going to support the people that's playing the same way they supported me when I was playing. There's no salty feelings. It is what it is." -- T.J. Ford

I'm always fascinated by how players, particularly in the NBA, refuse to meet with their coach, when they've been benched, to find out what they can do to get back into the playing rotation. Ford didn't come out and attack the Pacers or O'Brien in his statement, but he shows that he's not comfortable enough with O'Brien to go directly to him for help, and he's also hurt enough by the benching that he's holding it against the coach.

Unfortunately, for Ford, his replacements are exciting to watch, playing well and helping their teammates find open shots in good positions on the court. None of that can describe how Ford has played up to this point in the 2009-10 campaign. It's easily his worst statistical season since his rookie year. He's averaging under 10 points per game, less than three assists below his career average, and he's made less free throws than Jonathan Bender (he's got four).

So check out tonight's game against Bender and the Knicks to see if Ford manages to make it into the game, but first click the jump for links to more stories about last night's

He doesn't understand why? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by indycornrows
    He's averaging under 10 points per game, less than three assists below his career average, and he's made less free throws than Jonathan Bender (he's got four).
    FEWER! He's made FEWER free throws than J. Bender!
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    FEWER! He's made FEWER free throws than J. Bender!
    Well, he actually meant fewer THREE POINTERS, but you corrected the important part.

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    Well, he actually meant fewer THREE POINTERS, but you corrected the important part.
    My very first publishing job had an exam at the interview... they gave you a half-page snippet of technical report and said "fix it."

I still remember the one thing that really got me: "There are four types of rock: igneous, metamorphic, and sedimentary." There were multiple spelling errors in the sentence and the grammar was terrible, which distracted me from the fact that the sentence itself was wrong.

Apparently I haven't grown as much as I'd like to believe.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Step aside, King James BlueNGold's Avatar

I have to admit, he's saying the right things. You have to respect that. The best thing to do with him is play him off the bench depending on matchups. Sure, try to trade him but if he really has a decent attitude about it, no need to move him.

What did the interviewer say?
    "I keep wondering the same thing. Last week they had the 4th worst record in the league, had an 11.9 percent chance of winning the lottery and were in line to land a franchise type player like Derrick Favors or DeMarcus Cousins. This week? They have a 1.7 percent chance of winning the lottery, have the 8th worst record and are in line to draft Cole Aldrich or Greg Monroe. Way to go Jim O'Brien. Rest Danny Granger the rest of the season (if it isn't too late) and give Josh McRoberts lots of minutes. That ought to do it." - Chad Ford on winning meaningless games

Way to go Jim, you may have just put our franchise back another 4+ years.

After tonight's game, they won't be able to blame him for the sloppy PG play though. Indiana is killed by the Knicks, and Hibbert is leading the team in assists.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    I was surprised that with T.J. out (I assume he was inactive for whatever reason), A.J. Price could only see 14 minutes of floor time. I'm not complaining - because we won - but I found it to be rather odd.
    Clearly you don't actively follow the team.

Yes normally you see the starting PG go about 30 or so if he's not a serious star type, and then the backup go about 20 (or more if you go double PG at times), but this is Indy and that's not how we roll. It's not like they had a road game the next day or anything.

I agree that in no way do I think you need to s***can Ford here, he's not been some jerk as far as we know. I have no problem with him being used in limited time for now and I greatly prefer your actual PG being Watson and then Price. TJ can spell Luther Head as the combo guard scorer role at times.

Now if it's defensive effort and you are pretty certain it's remaining low or disinterested, then the guy does have to sit. It wouldn't be fair to the other players if he didn't.

But it is nice to see his fairly positive reaction to the situation. Refreshing really.

The team has role issues, and a lot of that comes from JOB himself, but they aren't winning period so none of these guys should even dare carry themselves above the others. They need to all remain supportive and try to push each other to get better.

Of course that implies that you can't just be jovial about a benching, you've got to show that you care and are working to undo that.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 01-03-2010 at 08:31 PM.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

I'm hopeful that this 1. means TJ will be traded away and 2. AJ Price's development will be more rapid due to increased playing time.