Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Predict the NBA franchise of the next decade

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Predict the NBA franchise of the next decade

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Thunder have a long way to go before they're elite.
    I think it's just a matter of a couple of years. They have already won 18 games this year after winning just 23 last season. They are improving rapidly, have one of the best players in the NBA, have a solid coach in Brooks, and a good GM in Sam Presti.

Durant has rapidly become one of the best players in the league at just 21 years of age. It's scary to think how good he's going to be when he hits his prime years. He's going to reach Kobe/Lebron status, where the team he's on is always going to be good as long as there is an OK cast around him, heck he might already be there. Simmons made a good point on PTI when he said that it really wouldn't take that much for him to be just as good as Lebron is. The exciting thing about the Thunder is that they seem to be putting a really good young cast around Durant. Jeff Green and Russell Westbrook have turned out to be very players, and are roughly the same age as Durant. That trio will grow together and become one of the deadliest in the NBA.

Another thing I like so much about them is that they seem to enjoy playing together so much. I have read many quotes from Durant and others saying that they hang out all the time and have become good friends.

I feel good for the fans of Oklahoma City. They deserve an exciting team like this after the way they embraced the Hornets as their own for those 2 years after Hurricane Katrina. It's like a college atmosphere there. Durant and the others say that they love the support they get there from the fans. Everything Durant says points to him staying there for a long, long time.

I hope they get in the playoffs this year. They could be a big first round headache for someone. Next year I might get league pass just to watch them. Outside of the Pacers, I think I have more interest in them than any other team in the NBA.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 01-02-2010 at 03:03 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The Pacers. (yes I am a homer) Come Summer of 2011 we will have tons of cap room and if we get lucky a top 5 pick in the last two drafts. This is a excellent base to build a team off of.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam1987 View Post
    I think it's just a matter of a couple of years. They have already won 18 games this year after winning just 23 last season. They are improving rapidly, have one of the best players in the NBA, have a solid coach in Brooks, and a good GM in Sam Presti.
    Yes, but that gap between talented young team and elite is really big. Pau Gasol's Grizzlies were that team for a while. Then the Hinrich-Gordon-Deng Bulls. Now the Blazers. Each of these teams have shown that being a first-round exit, young and talented team does not necessarily mean you'll steadily improve and work your way toward being a championship contender.

In fact, if you look at the championship contenders, they've mostly made major free agents signings or moves rather than grown organically: Boston (KG/Ray Allen trades), Orlando (Rashard Lewis signing), LA (Pau trade), Denver (Billups trade). If you look at past years elite teams, the trend continues: Miami (Shaq trade), Dallas (about eighting different free eighty agent acquisitions and signings), Phoenix (Steve Nash signing). Probably the team that has grown the most organically is the LeBron James Cavs, but that's because that team is LeBron and little else. You can make the case that Orlando also grew around Howard and Nelson, although as I mentioned they also made big trades and acquisitions. That Dallas team has also grown around a core of Nowitzki, Terry, and Howard, but for this season they added Kidd and Marion. San Antonio grew organically, but was dependent on getting a first overall pick to snag Duncan and striking it HUGE with Parker and Ginobli, an unlikelihood probably related to the globalization of the NBA that's unlikely to repeat now that everyone has scouts in France and Italy.

Now, obviously every champion team is a combination of draft picks, free agent signings, and players steadily improving over time. But I think a good young core like the Thunders only gets you to a point. Historically, you're still dependent on making one clincher, splashy move to get you over the top. And predicting which teams will make a big, successful trade or free agent signing is inherently difficult. So even though the Thunder have a really good base to build on, and they're in a better position than most of the teams in the league, there's still a really big, really unpredictable step they have to climb to be elite, and they're just as likely to become the Bulls as they are the Lakers.

In my mind, LeBron's the only guy in the league that has shown he can almost single-handedly convert a team from mediocre to elite. Which is why the only prediction I feel semi-confident making is that wherever he goes, his team will be good.
    Last edited by bulldog; 01-02-2010 at 03:19 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Not knowing too much about the NBA's salary cap, how realistic is it for the Thunder to be able to resign the Durant-Green-Westbrook combo?

I can't imagine how good the Thunder would be if they picked Evans over Harden. Harden looks solid, but Evans is amazing this year.

sweabs

Quote Originally Posted by Adam1987
    I feel good for the fans of Oklahoma City. They deserve an exciting team like this after the way they embraced the Hornets as their own for those 2 years after Hurricane Katrina. It's like a college atmosphere there. Durant and the others say that they love the support they get there from the fans. Everything Durant says points to him staying there for a long, long time.
    Completely understand where you are coming from. With that said, I cannot embrace the same sentiment. Every time I catch myself thinking, "God, this team is fun to watch" - I'm reminded of the thousands of Sonics fans who are sitting at home with nothing.