Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decade of transition for Pacers

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Default Decade of transition for Pacers

http://my.nba.com/cms/Indiana%20Pace...In%20The%20Web

Player of the Decade: O'Neal. Though Granger is far more popular and almost certainly will wind up with more prolific career numbers, you simply cannot overlook O'Neal's productivity. From 2000-08, he averaged 18.6 points, 9.6 rebounds and 2.42 blocked shots and was a six-time All-Star. Of course, the number many will remember is the 122 games he missed in his final four seasons. But before he started breaking down, J.O. was one of the best.
    I tend to agree with that although one could say Jalen Rose or Reggie Miller

All-Decade Lineup: O'Neal at power forward and Granger at small forward are no-brainers. So is Reggie Miller at shooting guard. Even though he was winding down his great career in his final five seasons, the old lion could still roar. Jeff Foster gets the nod at center because of his selfless service and underrated productivity. [B]And at point guard, there really is no option other than Jamaal Tinsley.
    Still rings true today!!
    Sittin on top of the world!

Default Re: Decade of transition for Pacers

Just makes me realize the Pacers have really not had a Point Guard since Mark Jackson.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find a more PG deprived franchise in NBA History.

Vern Fleming
    Mark Jackson

Thats it. Really amazing.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

Decade of transition. Just contemplating that phrase makes me dizzy and sad. Decade. 10. Freaking. Years.

Ugh

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just makes me realize the Pacers have really not had a Point Guard since Mark Jackson.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find a more PG deprived franchise in NBA History.

Vern Fleming
    Mark Jackson

Thats it. Really amazing.
    You are forgetting the player who finished a good portion of the close games during the 1998 - 2000 era. (I always really liked him and didn't ever look at message boards until after the 2000 Finals and was absolutely shocked that so many didn't like the guy) I'm afraid to even post his name for fear I might be dragged from my office and taken away to never be seen from again.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    You are forgetting the player who finished a good portion of the close games during the 1998 - 2000 era. (I always really liked him and didn't ever look at message boards until after the 2000 Finals and was absolutely shocked that so many didn't like the guy) I'm afraid to even post his name for fear I might be dragged from my office and taken away to never be seen from again.
    Oops, I should have remembered him in talking about the Best point guards.

That shot from the corner against Milwaukee in the playoffs was assasin-like.

How could the trade of the decade not be the one that sen Jalen Rose and AD to the bulls for Brad Miller and Ron Artest? That trade set the stage for that season best 61 wins. Established us as the new "Bad Boys" of the east.

Best free agent signing would have be Steven Jackson. That guy has been one of the best 2way players in the league. The the results the warriors had after we traded him is proof of his quality.

This why I don't like Bruno, you know he isn't going to mention the black sheep players because he works for the team. How can Anthony Johnson, the back up PG be the best Free agent signing?

Quote Originally Posted by theboyjwo View Post
    How could the trade of the decade not be the one that sen Jalen Rose and AD to the bulls for Brad Miller and Ron Artest? That trade set the stage for that season best 61 wins. Established us as the new "Bad Boys" of the east.

Best free agent signing would have be Steven Jackson. That guy has been one of the best 2way players in the league. The the results the warriors had after we traded him is proof of his quality.

This why I don't like Bruno, you know he isn't going to mention the black sheep players because he works for the team. How can Anthony Johnson, the back up PG be the best Free agent signing?
    Could it be because Jackson was traded to Indiana for Al Harrington?

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

I stand corrected.

Well, and it was Jalen Rose and Travis Best to Chicago.

AD had been traded for Bender, then Toronto later traded him to Chicago for Jalen Rose (among others).

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Decade of transition. Just contemplating that phrase makes me dizzy and sad. Decade. 10. Freaking. Years.

Ugh
    We've only been on the downswing since the brawl. That's 5 years. OR you can say that we've only been on the street so to speak for 3 years.

The first half of the 00's had a LOT of good basketball no matter how you feel about Coach Thomas, Ron Artest, Stephen Jackson, Jamaal Tinsley or finally the Nice Guys That Finish Last.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Best trade, on paper, was easily Dale for JO.

JO wasn't even a rotation guy in Portland went on to be a multi all star for Indy.

Free Agents shouldn't even have been a category. They have never gotten any Free Agents that were significant, to me.

AD was to the Raptors for the #5 pick, Bender.

Miller/Artest was for Jalen and I think T Best and maybe Mercer?
    Mercer came over with Miller & Artest, as did Kevin Ollie.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to count55 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

"Decade of Transition" is just a nice way to say decade of ****.

A very frustrating ECF against Detroit that I really thought we were going to win (Rasheed to Detroit was one of the most brilliant trades of the decade), the brawl, and Reggie retiring. That's how I'll remember this decade. Bleh. There were a few good moments, sure, but not too many.

Going into this decade my hope was that the Pacers would show that the mid to late 90's was not just a flash in the pan, and that we were here to stay as one of the NBA's premier franchises. Mission not accomplished.

Oops, I should have remembered him in talking about the Best point guards.

That shot from the corner against Milwaukee in the playoffs was assasin-like.
    Had he not gone 1-15 (or close) prior to that shot, it would not have been needed.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Tom White For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Could it be because Jackson was traded to Indiana for Al Harrington?
    ...and that since then the Warriors have moved him on.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    Had he not gone 1-15 (or close) prior to that shot, it would not have been needed.
    Lol, this is not a conversation that I have the energy to have. Cheers.

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post

Ugh
    SO that means you were 15 when the Pacers began the current century

Man,poor guy , you have had to row watching these Pacers dilute the talent level

Still have eternal optimism though
    Sittin on top of the world!

Quote Originally Posted by theboyjwo View Post

AD was traded nearly 3 years prior for Bender's rights... It was Travis Best you're thinking of...

Anyways.

I am not a fan of this last 10 years being called a "Decade of Transition", as if it's some sort of slap in the face. 10 years ago this team was in the finals, nearly on top of the world. 5 years ago this team was a perennial playoff LOCK. We had one of the best playoff streaks going for years. These last 5 years, however, have definitely been a "half-decade" of transition... To say the least, really.

Besides stating the obvious, I think it's ridiculous to class the entire decade as one of transition. I mean, doesn't every NBA team go through transition over the course of a decade? It's redundant to even say that for any team outside of maybe two teams..

Look back,

99-00 - Peak of the Pacers as a franchise...
    00-01 - Transition? Most definitely...
    01-02 - Finding another identity after going through somewhat of an overhaul, especially after the all-star break bringing in Artest, Miller, Mercer, etc...
    02-03 - Becoming a power in the East.
    03-04 - Best record in the league, injuries hurt them in the playoffs. The could have won it all.
    04-05 - Favorites for the championship, then we all know what happened next...
    05-06 - Turmoil and injuries hit this team, reality set in. Artest wants a trade. Peja comes in, we're a playoff dud.
    06-07 - We bring Al Harrington back to town, maybe he can bring us "back" as far as top teams go... January comes, we're underperforming, and we make the trade for Murphy and Dun. This is the year Danny begins to break out. We end up having a terrible record to finish the year, we miss the playoffs for the first time in years.

We all know it's been transition since then, but we had a great run at being a top player in the playoffs every year.

Every franchise goes through a transition. To throw this whole decade out is a slap in the face. Reggie had a fun little playoff series in 02, one of my all time favorites, JO is an all decade player for the conference IMO, 6x all star, 20/10 lock... You can't disregard that.

It was a decade of faces, I can say that. From Reggie + Jalen, to JO + Artest, to Danny + Dunleavy, to Harrington + Jax... We've seen Tim Hardaway, Kenny Anderson, Darrell Armstrong, even Michael Curry. Traded for Eddie Jones and Danny Ferry, though they never played for us.

I'm rambling on right now, but this has been a fruitful decade, and we've been lucky to have this team. A decade of transition... Pssh, who's wasn't?

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Squirrelz For This Useful Post:

Good post Squirrelz..

I too think this decade of basketball was pretty good when viewed as a whole, that 03 team was amazing, even if people don't like the players, they were a damn fine basketball team. I would say the best defensive team since the ABA days. I miss watching games like that where our team was so dominant and could shut down other teams offense for whole quarters. The caveat is that is the team which brought about the situation we are in now.

It is just hard to be positive right now when looking back. We are ending the decade not having gotten better or maintained the expected level of Indiana basketball, but being at the low point in the last 20+ years. We are ending this decade with a whimper on an eight game losing streak

happy new year

Mood

Technically speaking the decade isn't over until December 31, 2010.

A decade is a grouping of every 10 years. There is no year 0 in the Gregorian calendar that most of us use in the Western world. We went from 1 BC/BCE to 1AD/CE

Thus the very first AD/CE decade was:
    1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

The second decade was years:
    11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20

If you've got that down we can skip ahead a couple thousand years to the current decade:
    2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010.

I know, I know - that was so obnoxious, and most people have no idea, but it's still a fact! So we've got a whole year to really make our mark on this decade.

Happy New Year!
    Last edited by gummy; 12-31-2009 at 05:32 PM.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

"Everyone's values are defined by what they will tolerate when it is done to others." - William Greider

Quote Originally Posted by gummy View Post
    Technically speaking the decade isn't over until December 31, 2010.

A decade is a grouping of every 10 years. There is no year 0 in the Gregorian calendar that most of us use in the Western world. We went from 1 BC/BCE to 1AD/CE

Thus the very first AD/CE decade was:
    1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

The second decade was years:
    11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20

If you've got that down we can skip ahead a couple thousand years to the current decade:

2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010.

I know, that was so obnoxious. But also true. So we've got a whole year to really make our mark on this decade.

Happy New Year!
    lol...
    well, the rest of the world is calling it the end of the decade, even if they are all technically mistaken. But that does give us a 2nd chance to end the decade on a good note next year I suppose.

I like it better the wrong way.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Thingfish View Post
    lol...
    well, the rest of the world is calling it the end of the decade, even if they are all technically mistaken.
    I know, just playing the role of factual contrarian today.

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

"Everyone's values are defined by what they will tolerate when it is done to others." - William Greider

28. The Following User Says Thank You to gummy For This Useful Post:

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gummy View Post
    I know, just playing the role of factual contrarian today.
    The first "decade" was only nine years long. All the others have been correct.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Los Angeles For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    The first "decade" was only nine years long. All the others have been correct.
    Ummm, sure. Why not. Not technically accurate, but if that's what floats your year counting boat.
    Last edited by gummy; 01-01-2010 at 12:39 AM.