Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 49

Thread: Quick thoughts about the loss to the Grizz.

  1. #1
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,773

    Default Quick thoughts about the loss to the Grizz.

    This will probably be fairly brief tonight.

    I hate losing, there are no moral victories and at the end of the day we are now on an 8 game losing streak.

    Now having said that I want to say that I am fairly satisfied with the game. I am pretty happy with both the coaching and the effort from the players tonight.

    Let's be honest here 4 games in 5 nights is hard on a healthy club but when you add injury and illness to the mix it is no wonder that we lost.

    However this was not a tank job and even though we never really were in it, we never really got put out of it either till very late in the game and from a fans point of view that is about all I can ask when we are both short staffed and honestly missing our best player.

    It's not an excuse btw; it just is an honest assessment of what occurred.

    I am very happy that JOB took the steps tonight to limit the time on the court by certain players. If for no other reason we got to take a look at some of the younger guys just to see what they can do.

    Let's be honest with ourselves here for a min. None of the young fella's are going to break out into 1st team all-stars but we need to know if going forward next season if they can contribute. I know practice is one way for coach's to know this but there is nothing like real game experience and not in garbage time to see what you can do.

    A.J. Price is very interesting to me. Like I say all of the time I do not watch college ball so I had no idea who he was or what he did until he came here and frankly to begin with I read more about his Police blotter than scouting reports.

    But there is something there. This kid does not play like a low second round draft pick, he plays like he belongs and he is not bashful or shy about shooting the ball or leading a play.

    In other words for lack of a better term he has some swagger to him. Not in a bad cocky way but in a "I'm confident and you aren't going to get in my way" kind of way.

    I don't know if he is going to turn out to be something or not but right now I will say that it would not surprise me one bit to think that he might actually be a starting caliber point guard. If that is the case, then jackpot for Bird.

    BTW, I'm not saying he will be I am just saying with what I have seen I wouldn't be surprised.

    He has already made Travis Diener obsolete.

    Roy Hibbert just once again proved that given the ability to work with a mobile athletic power forward that he can be a force. His defense still is rough but notice how he did not look as bad tonight? Double double off of the bench, which btw Bird really should not let happen, I know you don't want to step on a coach's toes and all but in this case he needs to be told Roy needs to play. Roy does not need to play for future development, although that is also a side benefit; he needs to play because he is our best center right now.

    Josh McRoberts ultimately had a very good game as well. He had a few min. in the first half where I was starting to worry that he was going to pretend to be Brandon Rush and hide in the bushes. But by the end of the 2nd quarter he started to work up a sweat.

    Believe me I was relieved that he had a good, but not great game. The reason I say that is because a good middle of the road game makes it so that everyone can have their pound of flesh but nobody will be 100% correct.

    Nobody can claim that Josh should be bumped up to starter and nobody can just blow off the Chicago game as a fluke

    I think for those of us who want Josh to do well we can look at this and say "there is something there worth looking further at".

    My boy Seth has been jocking McBob up for me so I will let him do the honors again tonight but I do want to add one thing to the discussion about him.

    This guy really is one hell of a passer for a forward. I'm not talking about just good awareness and getting to his man. I am talking about crisp hard passes that hit his man in scoring positions. Hell Mark Jackson would have been proud of a couple of his passes.

    One last thing before I move on and yes I know once again I am beating the Troy and Jeff dead horse again but I have to say it.

    This season is lost, at least in the aspect of being playoff contenders. So with that in mind it is time to see both of them a little less and Josh and Solomon a little more. We need to go forward knowing if there is anything there at all.

    I was very concerned about Josh this summer because when I saw him in the pre-season he did not look like his offense had progressed at all. However the past two games have given me a glimmer of hope.

    But let's see how he does once team scout him a little more. That is if he continues to get playing time, we'll see.

    Luther Head, how this guy got DNP-CD's to begin the season with is beyond me. How he could not get anything but a partially guaranteed contract in the NBA is also a mystery to me. Look I realize that he is going to be a journeyman player for his career unless he hooks in the right place. But right now this guy is our best shooting guard, that actually says more about our club than it does him but still you have to give him some credit.

    I don't want to look at to many negatives tonight but there is something really wrong with Dunleavy. He doesn't have his legs for sure, so why then do we continue to start him when we are having trouble getting big deficits to begin the game you might ask? Well I don't know is the answer I will give you.

    But right now I am beginning to think there is something else wrong as well. I was more than willing to write it all off to conditioning but right now I'm not sure that is all of it. It could be the knee is acting up or it could be he hit a mental wall as well as a physical one or it could be something else. It would not offend me if we told Mike to take a couple of games off to see if maybe he could rest and get some energy back because I still believe that this is most of his issue.

    BTW, it is obvious from watching the post game show that Mike Connelly grew up a Pacer fan. Said he loved playing at home here and glad to play well in front of family and friends but he was sorry it had to be against the Pacers. The funny thing is from the way he said that I actually believe him.

    Nice to see Rip Van Rush awaken from his 20 game nap and join us for a ball game. Hell he even had a couple of hustle plays that saved the ball to us, one of which lead to an easy basket. I figure we should be in for another game like this sometime in March from him.

    Also I know that there are a lot of people who do not like Zach Randolph and I have heard that he is NOT a nice person from people who knew him up north. But it is kind of nice to see him start to actually get his career together and be a part of a team and not just some troubled gun for hire.

    As to Jamaal. I'm over it, I never really held Jamaal to the contempt that I did J.O. or Ron. Sure I turned on him about 3 years into him being here but it had to do with him missing so many games. Then as his career went on here he added the off court stuff and then he started to play bad.

    But I do remember when he was a rookie and I thought he was great. So overall I guess I just don't care. I'm glad to see he has made a home for himself.

    2009 will go down as one of the worse years in Pacers history, not the worst but certainly one of them. I know we won't start 2010 off well but let's hope by the time we get to the latter part of the 10 we will start to see light at the end of the tunnel.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Your Dreams.
    Posts
    323

    Default Re: Quick thoughts about the loss to the Grizz.

    Even in his college days McRoberts was looked at as a PG stuck in a big mans body. I dont know much about his game so I am not going to pretend I do and copy / paste stuff from somewhere but if he can make jumpers and slash to the basket he could be a very nice point forward.

  4. #3
    You are my Lucifer D-BONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Nirvana
    Posts
    7,110

    Default Re: Quick thoughts about the loss to the Grizz.

    I don't really care if Hibbert starts or not. More importantly he needs to get around the 30 minute mark he hit last night.

    TJ and Dun to the bench ASAP, please. The former permanently for all I care and the latter at least until whatever the issue gets resolved. I'd trade TJ for a bag of Fritos right now if possible. I just think having him out of the picture, which allows AJ to take over as the backup POINT GUARD, would get the rook much needed experience and time to assess his prospects. In addition, his attitude bring a welcome change.

    Now if we can just coerce OB into limiting Murphy's play somewhat.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

    -Emiliano Zapata

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to D-BONE For This Useful Post:


  6. #4

    Default Re: Quick thoughts about the loss to the Grizz.

    Until Tyler and Hibbert are playing the majority of the minutes together I will be non stop calling for a coaching change. I realize Tyler was out and Jim had a limited roster to work with tonight, but you can bet your a** that it would've been Murph and Soloman Jones out there if he could do it. That or Murph and Hibbert... Murph and Foster, Murph and whoever else, and all of that else are horrible fits with Murph.

    There are other things about Jim that I do not like, but my dislike would be much less if we could just have Hibbert and Tyler at C and PF as our starters, finishers and playing the bulk of the mins. And have Murph be our 4th stringer, behind Soloman Jones.

    About tonights matchups, DJones on Randolph? uhhg.. McBob played solid, I am glad he is getting some time, he should be the first big off the bench. Unfortunately that is about to change as soon as Murph the Matador comes back.

    TJ is just so awful right now, he is playing so casual, brickin layups nonstop.. if there is anyone that quit on the team he is the only one I see.

    Dun is struggling too, and whenever he starts to dribble I cringe anymore, it is a guaranteed turnover. I think he is just hurting, I hope his knee isn't giving him probs. But he is night and day from how he played his first 2 weeks back.

    Jim needs to completely reevaluate his whole strategy and lineups and start from scratch.

    We need to have an inside outside game going with Hibbert as the focal point.

    We need to have AJ and Earl playing all the mins at PG, let TJ take AJs bench spot and come in when there is 30 seconds left in blowouts.

    Murph needs to be only playing spot minutes when matchups are favoreable, I am ok with him coming in the game behind McBob Foster and SJones

    Dunleavy needs to be playing spot minutes too, until he is 100%, because he is not, and he is hurting the club when he is out there because of it.

    I want to see Brandon Djones and Luther covering the minutes at our 2/3 until Danny is back and Jr is ready to go . We would have a much better team and maybe actually win 1 out of every 4 games.
    Last edited by PaceBalls; 12-31-2009 at 08:34 AM.

  7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PaceBalls For This Useful Post:


  8. #5
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,747

    Default Re: Quick thoughts about the loss to the Grizz.

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This will probably be fairly brief tonight.


    Good post though.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  9. #6
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,912

    Default Re: Quick thoughts about the loss to the Grizz.

    The "sad" thing is that almost everyone in this forum is so focused on Jim O'Brien a lot of really important issues have not been addressed. Issues that Mike Wells has been mentioning all season long about player chemistry. Not sure exactly what to make of it yet, but in his blog he discusses it a little. I wish Wells would just tell Kravitz exactly what is going on so we would know too.

    Last year's chemistry was great and that IMO is evidenced by how hard the team played last season - this year it is obviously not good. the question is why??

    http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsi...n_sends_a.html

    Posted by Mike Wells

    I've said it in the past and I'll continue to say it, this is a bad mix of players for the Pacers.

    Their team chemistry is out of whack, but it's going to be difficult for them to pull off a trade.

    Swingman Dahntay Jones reiterated what he said late last week and in Miami earlier this week about the state of the team.

    "We have to assess ourselves and be honest," he said. "Certain people are not fighting as hard as others. We have to find a way to bring it every night."

    Jones didn't go into details on who he was talking about.

    The pieces continue to fall apart for the Pacers.

  10. #7
    100 Miles from the B count55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,772

    Default Re: Quick thoughts about the loss to the Grizz.

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The "sad" thing is that almost everyone in this forum is so focused on Jim O'Brien a lot of really important issues have not been addressed. Issues that Mike Wells has been mentioning all season long about player chemistry. Not sure exactly what to make of it yet, but in his blog he discusses it a little. I wish Wells would just tell Kravitz exactly what is going on so we would know too.

    Last year's chemistry was great and that IMO is evidenced by how hard the team played last season - this year it is obviously not good. the question is why??

    http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsi...n_sends_a.html

    Posted by Mike Wells

    I've said it in the past and I'll continue to say it, this is a bad mix of players for the Pacers.

    Their team chemistry is out of whack, but it's going to be difficult for them to pull off a trade.

    Swingman Dahntay Jones reiterated what he said late last week and in Miami earlier this week about the state of the team.

    "We have to assess ourselves and be honest," he said. "Certain people are not fighting as hard as others. We have to find a way to bring it every night."

    Jones didn't go into details on who he was talking about.

    The pieces continue to fall apart for the Pacers.
    Dahntay Jones reminds me a lot of Anthony Johnson.

  11. #8
    A happy Roy is a good Roy DaveP63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Farmerstucky
    Posts
    1,229

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Quick thoughts about the loss to the Grizz.

    That is an interesting question isn't it? Maybe some of the vets resent some of the younger guys stepping in and trying to be leaders on a rudderless ship. Sometimes I pick up that vibe. Seems like early in the year D Jones was very vocal and demonstrative on the floor, what about now?
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...nce-stephenson
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetimeís worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

  12. #9
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,912

    Default Re: Quick thoughts about the loss to the Grizz.

    Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Dahntay Jones reminds me a lot of Anthony Johnson.
    He does seem like a dominant personality, and I think he tries to be a leader. But maybe his teammates don't respect him enough to be a leader. I don't know.

    Who we lose from last season - Rasho, Jack, Daniels, Baston, Graham and they were replaced by D. Jones, S. Jones, Watson, Hansbrough, Head, Price.

    I think the most significant change was D. Jones replacing Jack at least as far as leadership and heart and soul type players.

    Although I think to "blame" Jones seems really unfair to him.

  13. #10

    Default Re: Quick thoughts about the loss to the Grizz.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wells
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Their team chemistry is out of whack.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dahntay Jones
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "Certain people are not fighting as hard as others. We have to find a way to bring it every night."
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleBuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Last year's chemistry was great and that IMO is evidenced by how hard the team played last season - this year it is obviously not good. the question is why??
    Quote Originally Posted by Count55
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Dahntay Jones reminds me a lot of Anthony Johnson.

    Is there a best way or a usual way of solving team chemistry issues? Are there even case studies of team that solved such issues -- with details about what they did to solve them?

    We all know fictional moments. In Remember the Titans, Denzel Washington takes his players to Gettysburg, PA and makes a rousing speech. Norman Dale wins his Huskers team back by kicking the fathers out of practice and talking directly to the players. But do inspiring speeches like that actually work? Ever?

    Locker room insiders always use the all-inclusive pronoun "we" or the vague "certain people." Does there ever come a time when it would be the right thing to do to come out and say (even more specifically than AJ did and Dahntay is doing) that TJ is the problem, or that Dunleavy is the problem, or that the offense is the problem?
    Last edited by Putnam; 12-31-2009 at 09:38 AM.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

  14. #11
    Member Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brownsburg
    Posts
    8,596

    Default Re: Quick thoughts about the loss to the Grizz.

    D Jones is always a guy standing and cheering good plays, when he is on the bench or at least it looks like this on TV. Can anyone at the game confirm?

    I always think this is a sign of a guy who is not part of the problem. He also seems to freely to talk to guys during dead balls, so it leaves me with the impression that he's actively engaged.

    Other guys, I am starting to see that it looks like they are phoning it in, but sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between playing bad/being down on themselves/tired of losing and being a problem.

  15. #12

    Default Re: Quick thoughts about the loss to the Grizz.

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveP63 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That is an interesting question isn't it? Maybe some of the vets resent some of the younger guys stepping in and trying to be leaders on a rudderless ship. Sometimes I pick up that vibe. Seems like early in the year D Jones was very vocal and demonstrative on the floor, what about now?
    Isn't that a big part of being a coach as well? Keeping the vibe proper? Backing up the leaders as they emerge? Yes, DJones is not the same player he was, he asserted himself on the court at the start of the season and it seems he got shut down for it. In all this travesty of a season Dahntay seems the biggest casualty to me so far. Here comes this hardnose player, taking control of the team only to be stifled with no one having his back. At least that was it looks like. What a mess. I am certain there is some serious tension in the lockerroom between the players who take losing hard and those who are just living the dream... how can there not be? Again it comes back to the coach for not backing up the right players, but coddling his favorites.

    bah I'm just getting pissed off about it, gonna stop now.

  16. #13
    Member Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brownsburg
    Posts
    8,596

    Default Re: Quick thoughts about the loss to the Grizz.

    It's probably culture shock, coming from a team with the likes of Carmelo, Kenyon Martin, Birdman, JR Smith, Chauncey Billups, and Nene to the Pacers. That Nugget group ranges from arrogant to vastly confident, I'm not sure the Meek and Mild of the Pacers is something he's used to. Just a thought.

  17. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:


  18. #14
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,747

    Default Re: Quick thoughts about the loss to the Grizz.

    Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's probably culture shock, coming from a team with the likes of Carmelo, Kenyon Martin, Birdman, JR Smith, Chauncey Billups, and Nene to the Pacers. That Nugget group ranges from arrogant to vastly confident, I'm not sure the Meek and Mild of the Pacers is something he's used to. Just a thought.
    We're a lot meeker than we were last year.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  19. #15
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,747

    Default Re: Quick thoughts about the loss to the Grizz.

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've said it in the past and I'll continue to say it, this is a bad mix of players for the Pacers.
    I completely agree.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  20. #16
    100 Miles from the B count55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,772

    Default Re: Quick thoughts about the loss to the Grizz.

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He does seem like a dominant personality, and I think he tries to be a leader. But maybe his teammates don't respect him enough to be a leader. I don't know.

    Who we lose from last season - Rasho, Jack, Daniels, Baston, Graham and they were replaced by D. Jones, S. Jones, Watson, Hansbrough, Head, Price.

    I think the most significant change was D. Jones replacing Jack at least as far as leadership and heart and soul type players.

    Although I think to "blame" Jones seems really unfair to him.
    I was merely making an observation. I am not "blaming" Dahntay. This was my take after the Dallas game, and it remains largely the same:

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Donahue
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Many believe that Dahntay Jones has filled JJís shoes admirably, even exceeding him. I am not one of them. I like Dahntay a great deal, and I think he is going to be a valuable player for this team during the transition. I love the attitude he brings to the team, and I think he has some fine leadership qualities. However, he seems to bring a different type of energy than Jarrett. Now, clearly I donít have first hand access to the locker room, so this is speculation, but Dahntay seems more confrontational than JJ (the row with TJ notwithstanding.) The energy from the team and in the locker room was much more positive last season, and Iím forced to conclude that Jarrett Jack was a big part of that.
    http://www.eightpointsnineseconds.co...recap-fragile/

    Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    D Jones is always a guy standing and cheering good plays, when he is on the bench or at least it looks like this on TV. Can anyone at the game confirm?

    I always think this is a sign of a guy who is not part of the problem. He also seems to freely to talk to guys during dead balls, so it leaves me with the impression that he's actively engaged.

    Other guys, I am starting to see that it looks like they are phoning it in, but sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between playing bad/being down on themselves/tired of losing and being a problem.
    Being "actively engaged" isn't necessarily a good or a bad thing. It's just a thing. What matters is how he actually interacts with his teammates.

    One of the big things that I find reminiscent of AJ is that his importance/prominence on the team far outweighs his actual value to the team. I guess you could probably throw Croshere (historically) into the mix on that type of conversation, as well.

    Whether he's an active part of the problem or not, I couldn't tell you. I just don't see any evidence that he's really a part of the solution, either.

  21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to count55 For This Useful Post:


  22. #17
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,912

    Default Re: Quick thoughts about the loss to the Grizz.

    count55, I wasn't suggesting that you were blaming him. I think Jones replacing Jack has probably hurt the chemistry - my point was at least Jones is trying and I might tend to blame his teammates either for not being willing to follow Jones or for not stepping up themselves. Of course this is all conjecture
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 12-31-2009 at 10:25 AM.

  23. #18
    100 Miles from the B count55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,772

    Default Re: Quick thoughts about the loss to the Grizz.

    Also, note what's happening up in Toronto as Jarrett Jack is beginning to take a more dominant role on that team. They've won 7 of their last 11, all of which featured JJ as starter.

    Leadership is such an elusive (and sometimes, illusory) quality. I can't explain why, nor am I saying woulda, shoulda, coulda on JJ's contract, but I have to wonder if he just wasn't one of those guys that is able to earn an innate, almost instinctual respect and (more importantly) trust of others. Hell, I even think Jack had a very positive impact on TJ.

    This is a lot more nebulous than I really like. I don't believe any of these guys are bad guys. I don't think any of them are quitters. However, put yourself in their position and consider how the futility of it all could make you feel defeated. This has nothing to do with weakness of character. It simply has to do with being human.

  24. #19

    Default Re: Quick thoughts about the loss to the Grizz.

    I caught the game from midway in the 2Q forward and thought that the Pacers played hard. They still made plenty of mistakes, but the finer points Peck points out in the OP are spot on at least from the action I saw.

    Murphy, Hansborough, Foster, Granger (and Diener) - all out. The Grizzlies like the Hawks and Raptors are very long, very lean. It's hard for the Pacers to play against teams like that because they really don't have the size to complete. All we have left as far as Big Men to counter that are Hibbert, McRobs and Solo. So, I wasn't surprised when we had difficulty shooting over some the taller Grizzlie players. What did impress me was how unintimidated players like McRobs, Head and Hibbert seemed to be out there. They worked hard to close the gap. It was very nice to see these guys play with heart instead of watching (some of the veteran) players hanging their heads looking dejected out there. The Pacers may have loss, but they continued to fight hard to stay in it, and that's all you can really ask for...hard work and honest effort.

  25. #20
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    55
    Posts
    12,054

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Quick thoughts about the loss to the Grizz.

    I think we need to be careful lumping all chemistry problems together as the same thing.

    We Pacer fans have been burned often enough that any mention of chemistry means smoldering resentment, players who actively dislike each other, near-fistfights, and other very damaging activities.

    The chemistry problems for this team are quite different, I think. I suspect we have a team where no one feels he is good enough to demand a regular role or to demand more of his teammates. There is no clear leader for everyone to rally around so they sort of muddle around. There's no coherence even if there is no conflict. When Dahntay calls for someone to step up and do things, the response is a sort of meek agreement.

    The catch-22 is that winning does a lot to fix this kind of chemistry issue, but you need that chemistry to start winning.
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  26. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:


  27. #21
    Member Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brownsburg
    Posts
    8,596

    Default Re: Quick thoughts about the loss to the Grizz.

    Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Also, note what's happening up in Toronto as Jarrett Jack is beginning to take a more dominant role on that team. They've won 7 of their last 11, all of which featured JJ as starter.

    Leadership is such an elusive (and sometimes, illusory) quality. I can't explain why, nor am I saying woulda, shoulda, coulda on JJ's contract, but I have to wonder if he just wasn't one of those guys that is able to earn an innate, almost instinctual respect and (more importantly) trust of others. Hell, I even think Jack had a very positive impact on TJ.

    This is a lot more nebulous than I really like. I don't believe any of these guys are bad guys. I don't think any of them are quitters. However, put yourself in their position and consider how the futility of it all could make you feel defeated. This has nothing to do with weakness of character. It simply has to do with being human.

    Yep, I agree, Count55! Also, my biggest fear in losing Jack this summer wasn't his numbers, but that intangible.

    1.) I think the way players follow a guy is that they understand he has the "whole"'s best interest in mind and therefore their best interest in mind.

    2.) I also, think you have to have defined roles for guys so they feel part of the "whole". EX I always think of Jalen Rose as a role player, it just so happened his role was to score. Not the typical way you define role player, though. It made Jalen feel good and it helped the team.

    3.) I think the way a guy gets to lead is to willing to sacrifice for the team. First and foremost. Jordan didn't get his championships until he started trusting John Paxson to take shots at the end of games.

    4.) To be a vocal leader I think it's a combination of being willing to sacrifice and have the innate personality to say things, but not offend guys or kiss their arse. Usually guys like this can be pretty good coaches from a personell management standpoint, imo.

    I think Jack will be a really good coach someday.

    Maybe D Jones problem is he came from an environment that allowed you to abruptly and distinctly say what needed to be said and guys that are arrogant could take it.

    Here, he didn't get the chance to establish himself as a personality on the team, yet. Also, he is working with guys who maybe don't like to be talked to so directly.

    So what's missing?

    1. & 3. Guys who put the whole ahead of the parts? I think there are some guys who don't naturally... get this. For example, TJ, I think he's a nice guy, but I don't think he sees that whole is greater than the sum of it's part thing, at all. I think he sees the game in a vaccuum or microcosm, play by play. No big picture acknowledgement. I think this was the very root of the problem that Jack had with him last year. It's misplaced to really blame him, I think, it's just how he's put together right now.

    2. )Defined roles for guys? Nope, this is maybe Obie's biggest fail to me. It hurts chemistry, it hurts young guys understanding/development. Not all Obie's fault, he's dealing with injuries, losing, and a unmatched group by design. Part of this falls on Morway/Bird, but even then that's not true because the current year's incarnation isn't designed to be a completed product. Part of the team is here via inequitable trade out of need. Part is young and relatively clueless. Part is patchwork. I mean it's flawed, but it's kind of supposed to be in year 2 of the process. But I think this is where a bunch of the frustration lies and the disconnect. I think Detroit is kind of going through the same thing.

    4.) Vocal leaders. I think D Jones is this innately, I'm just not sure he's being accepted by the whole. I think they completely miss Jack, cuz he was maybe more subtle or had more finesse in doing it. I don't mean in a cheesy salesman sort of way, but just in a better way for this group. Jack was always smiling, loves the game, I believe he worked as hard as anyone in practice. I guess I think Jack had the cred to back it up, is what i'm saying, I guess. Other vocal leaders? I thought Dunleavy, but the wheels have fallen off for him in the last two weeks both play and really he looks a little apathetic to me. I'm completely just throwing this out there, but I wonder if there was something big that either happened or is going on with him either with the team or personally. Like I wonder if he got into it big time with someone or if like maybe his agent asked for a trade. He just seems like a completely different player in production by even moreso in body language.

    I'm obviously guessing, but those are my thoughts.

    Side note: Bill Simmons book talks about this kind of thing in the Bill Russel vs. Wilt Chamberlain section and in referencing "the secret" of basketball. Basically sacrificing personal stats and individual accomplishments for the betterment of the team.

    Edit:written in the spirit of Peck's intended "quick" and "brief" post idea.

  28. The Following User Says Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:


  29. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brown County, Indiana
    Posts
    3,780

    Default Re: Quick thoughts about the loss to the Grizz.

    Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is a lot more nebulous than I really like. I don't believe any of these guys are bad guys. I don't think any of them are quitters. However, put yourself in their position and consider how the futility of it all could make you feel defeated. This has nothing to do with weakness of character. It simply has to do with being human.
    Let's add something else to that. What effect has hearing Bird make it very clear that some of these guys are not considered part of the team's future had on them?

    It is one thing if the player(s) in question know they are at the end of their career, and ready to retire. It is quite another thing if the player(s) are at, what should be, the midway point of their career.

    Yes, they are all supposed to be pro's, and they are supposed to understand that this is a business. But you also have to remember they are human, and like to feel that they belong. I have to think Bird's words could be having an effect on some of them.

  30. #23
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,528

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Quick thoughts about the loss to the Grizz.

    Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think we need to be careful lumping all chemistry problems together as the same thing.

    We Pacer fans have been burned often enough that any mention of chemistry means smoldering resentment, players who actively dislike each other, near-fistfights, and other very damaging activities.

    The chemistry problems for this team are quite different, I think. I suspect we have a team where no one feels he is good enough to demand a regular role or to demand more of his teammates. There is no clear leader for everyone to rally around so they sort of muddle around. There's no coherence even if there is no conflict. When Dahntay calls for someone to step up and do things, the response is a sort of meek agreement.

    The catch-22 is that winning does a lot to fix this kind of chemistry issue, but you need that chemistry to start winning.
    Very good post.

    A couple of years ago, we had too many Chiefs, and not enough indians. Now, I don't see any Chiefs. Danny being out has something to do with it, but even then, I don't think he has the personality to lay down the law on some of the guys.

    I don't think they've quit on the team, I just just think their morale is so damn low.

    They desperately need back to back wins.

  31. #24
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,371

    Default Re: Quick thoughts about the loss to the Grizz.

    Don't discount the wind getting taken from the players' sails when lame duck O'Brien was given an early extension.

    Having a coach the team isn't confident in and can't rally behind is BOUND to create bad chemistry...
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  32. #25
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,912

    Default Re: Quick thoughts about the loss to the Grizz.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Don't discount the wind getting taken from the players' sails when lame duck O'Brien was given an early extension.

    Having a coach the team isn't confident in and can't rally behind is BOUND to create bad chemistry...
    Do you really think anyone has discounted the Jim O'Brien effect. That is pretty much all that we have discussed for 2 and a half months is Jim O'Brien.

    I think it is refreshing to take a look at this team from a different angle for a change

  33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. Odd thoughts about the Chicago loss
    By Peck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 12-30-2009, 08:03 PM
  2. 02/18/2009 Guess The Score - Pacers at Bobcats
    By RoboDoug in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 02-18-2009, 10:34 PM
  3. 02/08/2009 Guess The Score - Pacers at Wizards
    By RoboDoug in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 02-09-2009, 09:42 PM
  4. 01/31/2009 Guess The Score - Pacers vs. Knicks
    By RoboDoug in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 01-31-2009, 10:56 PM
  5. 01/26/2005 Guess The Score - Pacers at Boston
    By RoboDoug in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 01-27-2005, 08:22 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •