Thread: Should we "Brook Lopez" Roy Hibbert?

Default Should we "Brook Lopez" Roy Hibbert?

While we have no real talent around us besides Hibbert, while the players are out, should we give Roy 20-25 shots, as well as 36-38 mpg, since it seems to work better than our talentless motion offense? Face it, without Roy in the game, there is no possible way we can score with crisp ball movement and jumpshooting. Our only other way to score besides getting on the break is Luther overdribbling for an impossible shot, or Watson(Or AJ)/McRoberts PnR once or twice a game. So while all of our players are injured, shouldn't we let our best player who is on a tear get a crapload of shots, hoping that we could win two or three of our next twenty games as opposed to none? I think this is what it has come to.

For the record, we'll probably end up winning a lot of games at the end and getting an okay record. I'm not trying to say were on pace to win 11 games or anything silly like that.
    "I keep wondering the same thing. Last week they had the 4th worst record in the league, had an 11.9 percent chance of winning the lottery and were in line to land a franchise type player like Derrick Favors or DeMarcus Cousins. This week? They have a 1.7 percent chance of winning the lottery, have the 8th worst record and are in line to draft Cole Aldrich or Greg Monroe. Way to go Jim O'Brien. Rest Danny Granger the rest of the season (if it isn't too late) and give Josh McRoberts lots of minutes. That ought to do it." - Chad Ford on winning meaningless games

Way to go Jim, you may have just put our franchise back another 4+ years.

Default Re: Should we "Brook Lopez" Roy Hibbert?

He cant stay on the court that long he gets in foul trouble way too frequently

Next stop June 2015

Quote Originally Posted by jhondog28 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He cant stay on the court that long he gets in foul trouble way too frequently
    If we focus on putting the best defenders on the floor, Roy Hibbert will not have the same problems. His issue is that Murphy and TJ spend a lot of time with him out there. Dunleavy is a weak enough link. Goodness, when Hibbert, Murphy, TJ and Dunleavy are all playing a lot of minutes, you in big trubba.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

we run a motion offense? i watched a little bit and didn't see much motion really.

huh? Dunleavy was out almost an entire month the beginning of the year and Hibbert still had foul issues. Not all of our defensive issues have to do with those two. Hibbert is not a good defender. I like Hibbert but he does foul a ton and most of it is when offensive players just run into him without him doing anything.

I'd like to see Roy get to the point where JOB doesn't need to pull him out against smaller lineups. Fouls are killing him more than anything, but he's improved since last year.
    basketbawful.com- The best of the worst of professional basketball. And there's a lot of it.

Next stop June 2015

huh? Dunleavy was out almost an entire month the beginning of the year and Hibbert still had foul issues. Not all of our defensive issues have to do with those two. Hibbert is not a good defender. I like Hibbert but he does foul a ton and most of it is when offensive players just run into him without him doing anything.
    I didn't really mean to slam on Dun, who I like. However, he's still a below average defensive player. If he wasn't, he'd be a perennial all-star the way he plays on offense.

But the real issue for Hibbert is Murphy. I think most reasonable people know they cannot defend the paint adequately. I think many knowledgable people realize that a weak interior defense weakens your perimeter defense considerably...because the guards have to play off their guys and cannot get in the passing lanes as easy...because they know nobody is going to stop the lay-up if their man gets by them. This is an enormous issue for the Pacers...because we do have a few decent perimeter defenders.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    I didn't really mean to slam on Dun, who I like. However, he's still a below average defensive player. If he wasn't, he'd be a perennial all-star the way he plays on offense.
    Yeah, that 0 points on 3 shots is DEFINITELY going to get him some write-ins.

But the real issue for Hibbert is Murphy.
    Agreed. And while I think Murph could be a great player next to some centers, I don't think Roy is that guy. The two of them don't work well together, and Roy's the future.

I'd really like to see Josh or Tyler get significant minutes next to him and see what that gives us. Heck, I'd like to see Solo get minutes at the 4. I thought Roy played really well next to Foster earlier in the year. Forget the "stretch forward," I want a guy who can defend the paint.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

I second this, he picks up atleast 2 ticky tack fouls under the basket each game. Just stupid fouls that show a lack of focus from him.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyjwo View Post
    I second this, he picks up atleast 2 ticky tack fouls under the basket each game. Just stupid fouls that show a lack of focus from him.
    I think a lot of this is from refs who aren't familiar with his game making questionable calls. As he gais respect as a premier offensive big man scorer you will see him get less "ticky tacky" fouls.

A lot of his foul trouble seems to be because of a break down of the perimeter defense which is a direct effect of Murphy and Ford and Dun when he plays. When people start driving towards the basket freely Roy tried to step up and save the play and gets a foul. At least he is putting in the effort I say.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Yeah, that 0 points on 3 shots is DEFINITELY going to get him some write-ins.

Agreed. And while I think Murph could be a great player next to some centers, I don't think Roy is that guy. The two of them don't work well together, and Roy's the future.

I'd really like to see Josh or Tyler get significant minutes next to him and see what that gives us. Heck, I'd like to see Solo get minutes at the 4. I thought Roy played really well next to Foster earlier in the year. Forget the "stretch forward," I want a guy who can defend the paint.
    This is why i thought we would win without Murphy tonight. I failed to realize that Hansboro wasn't playing before I made the prediction. i just wish bird would trade Murphy for anything, so coach will get off his jock. I don't even know where to begin with this Dunleavy Ford situation. it's getting more dismal by the game...

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

I also think McBob or Tyler with Roy is what you want to see. Let them do the hard rotations and bumping, let Roy cherry pick some shot blocks and then worry about spending energy getting and holding low post position.

But also you gotta get a PG that won't leave Roy high and dry on 15 PnRs per game. Lotta fouls there too.

Roy's still looking rough, I just don't care. I think you can knock those dents out of his game still. Maybe I'll feel differently a year from now when it's more of the same, but so far Roy's developed much better than I thought he would on draft night. Always liked the kid but hated his chances in the NBA due to awkwardness and lateral speed, both of which are still issues of course. He's done good things in spite of that.

15. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

I don't know if we should "Brook Lopez" Roy Hibbert but we sure should "Lawrence Frank" Jim O'Brien if he refuses to dedicate 25 min. a game to Roy.

I like S. Jones, really I do, but he should not be starting over Roy. With Roy maybe, although I think I have come to the conclusion that it is time for Tyler to go ahead and step up to the plate for that.

I know some don't like Roy and that is fine, he certainly has his flaws, but he is the only center option we have and really our only low post scorer.

I don't think he will ever be a star but he can be and should be our starting center until we either trade or draft a better player. That player is NOT on our team right now btw.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

asking should we "brook lopez" roy is basically asking for a youth movement, isn't it?

i suspect you'll get a resounding yes from many forum members who consider this another lost season. but i suspect it would take a lot more losing before the pacers management would consider this.

the nets' situation is different. one, they have the cap space to radically renovate their team next season. they can honestly tell their fans that the team they see next year won't resemble this year's garbage. the pacers though would most likely still be fielding essentially the same team. two, they are basically abandoning their current fanbase, by their planned move to brooklyn. so they don't really mind pissing off their already pissed off fanbase. the pacers though still have to consider the possible effect of a youth movement on their dwindling fanbase. people might argue that only the hardcore fans are left anyway, but obviously the pacers management is far more worried about being perceived as having already given up on making the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    I like S. Jones, really I do, but he should not be starting over Roy. With Roy maybe, although I think I have come to the conclusion that it is time for Tyler to go ahead and step up to the plate for that.
    of the bigs on our roster, solo is by far the best fit next to troy in terms of skillset. so i figured it was only a matter of time before solo gets to start. it's just too bad that he isn't a better player. solo might also be a good fit playing next to hibbert, but we'd never get a chance to see that, would we.

I agree with Lawrence Franking O'Brien for his use of Hibbert or lack thereof. I don't see how Hibbert can establish himself as a starter more than now. Sure he has foul problems, but they aren't severe enough for Solomon Jones to be starting over him. Hibbert is a key to the future of the franchise, and the Pacers need to play him or else get JOB as far away from Conseco as humanly possible.

I think Lopez averages as many shots as he does in part because he puts up so many 20ft jump shots. I'm not sure we want Roy taking that up, but feeding him in the post as much as is viable is a solid idea with the injuries we have.

Banned

so Hibbert gets in foul trouble to often and he does not start? yeah I want to see Van Gundy doing the same thing to howard to see what is going to happen

30 min. last night v. Memphis. I'll take that any day for Roy. Start or not, just give me @ 30 minutes barring fouls. I don't think he'd be too effective going much over that. However, as good as he was going on O last night, I would have been fine leaving him in at the end.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

A happy Roy is a good Roy DaveP63's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Midcoasted View Post
    A lot of his foul trouble seems to be because of a break down of the perimeter defense which is a direct effect of Murphy and Ford and Dun when he plays. When people start driving towards the basket freely Roy tried to step up and save the play and gets a foul. At least he is putting in the effort I say.

Bingo...direct result of the "Ole" defense on the perimeter. Not to say that he doesn't make bonehead reach in or slap across the arm once and a while, but that accounts for a majority of his fouls this year. Just a SWAG, but I'd go 60 to 70 percent.
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...nce-stephenson
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetime’s worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

I swear I am not trying to be argumentative, but I really do understand why JOB does not want Hibbert out there to start. The really good teams constantly penetrate the lane and get him into foul trouble within the first 5 minutes of the game. Then Hibbert cannot get started, which affects him for the entire game. He needs to get in a rythym. Is this Muphy's fault? Pretty darn sure he is part of it, but Hibbert sometimes has a brain fart and jumps into PGs and refs are just waiting to call fouls on him. Bringing him into the game without Murphy is not a bad idea. I kind of like him with McRoberts. Hate him with Murphy.