Thread: Hornets Will Be Forced To Move West?

Default Hornets Will Be Forced To Move West?

Some NBA executives believe that the Hornets may not be able to avoid dealing away David West before the February 18 trade deadline. Trading West would ensure that the Hornets stay under this season's luxury tax threshold.

The Hornets would likely prefer to move Emeka Okafor, Peja Stojakovic, James Posey, Mo Peterson, Darius Songaila or Julian Wright. But finding a taker for any of these other players will be more difficult than doing so for West.
    ESPN
    By Marc Stein
    http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...als-to-hornets

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I wonder if we could work out a 3 way deal sending Murphy to Cavs, Big Z to NO (put Okarfor back at PF), and send us West

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=yky77kz
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Default Re: Hornets Will Be Forced To Move West?

Not that I wouldnt like have West, but I dont think that helps the Hornets luxury tax problem.....Although I wouldnt mind getting Julian Wright......still young enough to take a flyer on I think.

I read the topic heading and thought "How about San Diego or South Bay?"

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ESPN
    By Marc Stein
    http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...als-to-hornets

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I wonder if we could work out a 3 way deal sending Murphy to Cavs, Big Z to NO (put Okarfor back at PF), and send us West

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=yky77kz
    Cavs would just cut us out and send Z to New Orleans for West if the Hornets liked that deal.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by judicata View Post
    I read the topic heading and thought "How about San Diego or South Bay?"
    I was thinking "didn't they already move west (to the Western Conference)?"

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Wylder1324 View Post
    Not that I wouldnt like have West, but I dont think that helps the Hornets luxury tax problem.....Although I wouldnt mind getting Julian Wright......still young enough to take a flyer on I think.
    By them getting Big Z, they'll have abut $11.5 million coming off the books
    Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    Cavs would just cut us out and send Z to New Orleans for West if the Hornets liked that deal.
    yes that is true also, but from what Ive been reading, Cavs are interested in a big man that can stretch the defence and shoot the 3
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    By them getting Big Z, they'll have abut $11.5 million coming off the books
    $11.5m coming off the books doesn't help them with luxury tax for *this* season, which is what the article says they're after.

it would definitely help with next season's luxury tax payments though. but still, i would think new orleans won't part with west unless they can get relief now and not just for next season.

What do you guys think about Emeka Okafer. I don't know if we could get West or not. But would Okafer be an option his contract is pretty big and long but would he be a good fit at PF next to Hibbert. How is his D. We could Package TJ and Diener for him. This would put thim under the Luxury Tax for This Year.

If we made a move for Okafer would we just be taking on a bad contract or would the guy live up to it

I would love to have West come to Indy, what an upgrade he would be at PF. He would be great next to Hibbert. But like others have said, don't see it happening. We can still dream can't we!

He has a decent contract as well, see here: http://hoopshype.com/salaries/new_orleans.htm

Man, I wouldn't want to touch Okafor's contract, yuck!
    Avatar photo credit: Bahram Mark Sobhani - AP

Maybe I just need to watch him more to feel differently, but I've always liked Okafor and I think he could be a nice fit here because he can easily be a PF next to Roy, but he can also hold his own as a center with Tyler/Josh on the floor.

Nothing spectacular about the guy, but he's big, strong, smart, and a two-way player (if limited).

The price tag might be high, but I'd feel a hell of a lot better overpaying for what he brings as opposed to what Murphy brings.

Quote Originally Posted by esabyrn333 View Post
    What do you guys think about Emeka Okafer. I don't know if we could get West or not. But would Okafer be an option his contract is pretty big and long but would he be a good fit at PF next to Hibbert. How is his D. We could Package TJ and Diener for him. This would put thim under the Luxury Tax for This Year.

If we made a move for Okafer would we just be taking on a bad contract or would the guy live up to it
    Okafor will average a double double. He was fantastic D in college, I don't know if that's still the case. He's a smart player that probably would be good next to Hibbert.

However, he's kind of injury prone, and the contract is disgusting, if I recall. Still, if taking on his contract would still allow Indiana to stay under the cap for the seasons they have him, he wouldn't be a bad option.

I know there is a lot of talk about "the big free agent" Indiana can get in 2011. But truthfully, I don't know if Indiana could woo a free agent better than him.

edit: Okay, looks like he's around 10 Million for 5 years. That's actually not too awful when you consider what we are paying TJ and Murphy Dun..and Foster.

You could try to package TJ and Diener for Okafor, the numbers work. But I don't know why New Orleans would take that, other than because Diener's expiring, and..well..I guess because TJ only has a year left on his salary and Chris Paul does need a better backup..maybe a change of scenery... TJ Ford and Luther Head also works, as well as TJ and Solo. And might give New Orleans a little more insentive, seeing as Luther has been playing well. The fact that he could play Center also helps seeing as obviously we'd want Hans to still get time, and JOB would want Murphy too.
    Last edited by Sookie; 12-31-2009 at 01:56 AM.

If I were the Hornets, moving West for some talent would be one of my priorities. I don't trust David West anymore, he has lost his focus on non-scoring contributions (tunnel vision on jacking up shots; doesn't bother to defend and rebound anymore) and I frankly believe his best days are behind him. He's under a relatively cost-controled contact and keeps the reputation, so the Hornets should be able to get back some talent for him.

Then they should just move their contracts that go beyond 2011 for smaller ones (including Emeka's) and rebuild in that Summer around Paul. Okafor is overpaid, I think, but he'd indeed make sense next to Hibbert/Hansbrough.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by cordobes View Post
    If I were the Hornets, moving West for some talent would be one of my priorities. I don't trust David West anymore, he has lost his focus on non-scoring contributions (tunnel vision on jacking up shots; doesn't bother to defend and rebound anymore) and I frankly believe his best days are behind him. He's under a relatively cost-controled contact and keeps the reputation, so the Hornets should be able to get back some talent for him.

Then they should just move their contracts that go beyond 2011 for smaller ones (including Emeka's) and rebuild in that Summer around Paul. Okafor is overpaid, I think, but he'd indeed make sense next to Hibbert/Hansbrough.
    Okafor is too injury prone to commit so much $$$ to. I'd be concerned about that for a Player with a 5 year contract that is owed $60+ mil.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Okafor is too injury prone to commit so much $$$ to. I'd be concerned about that for a Player with a 5 year contract that is owed $60+ mil.
    He's been healthy in recent years, but I agree. It's the kind of contract you take when everything is in place and getting an athletic, rebounding, defensive minded big is the final step.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    I know there is a lot of talk about "the big free agent" Indiana can get in 2011. But truthfully, I don't know if Indiana could woo a free agent better than him.
    There are other moves that can be done with Capspace. Directly signing FAs isn't the only way to improve the Team. Look at what teams like the Blazers, Clippers and Thunder have done with having Capspace. They had the financial flexiblity to get involved in moves that improved their team while building trade assets.

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    edit: Okay, looks like he's around 10 Million for 5 years. That's actually not too awful when you consider what we are paying TJ and Murphy Dun..and Foster.
    Actually, it's as bad as you thought:

http://www.shamsports.com/content/pa...es/hornets.jsp

2009-2010 : $10.8 mil
    2010-2011 : $11.8 mil
    2011-2012 : $12.8 mil
    2012-2013 : $13.8 mil
    2013-2014 : $14.8 mil

$64 mil owed over 5 years....that's comprable to Biedrins ( who I think is worth it ) but has enough injury concerns that I'd pass on him.
    Last edited by CableKC; 01-05-2010 at 08:18 PM.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by cordobes View Post
    He's been healthy in recent years, but I agree. It's the kind of contract you take when everything is in place and getting an athletic, rebounding, defensive minded big is the final step.
    I'll wait another season 75+ games before committing to him.
    Last edited by CableKC; 01-05-2010 at 08:18 PM.