Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grade the Colts for the last decade

Default Grade the Colts for the last decade

From 2000 -2010

I want to hear your grade for the Indianapolis Colts.

I give them a C.

Yes they won a superbowl, the most regular season games but with the Patrios and Steelers winning more superbowls and the fact they do not have an overall impressive playoff record I give them a C. They have went 0 fer in the playoffs more than once and do not deserve a B!!!!

Default Re: Grade the Colts for the last decade

Well if we're giving letter grades then I'll say a B. Frankly, only those who win the Super Bowl deserve an A for any particular season. The Colts have been better than a mediocre C.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

Mood

I understand the beginning of the decade lowering the decade's overall score, but this decade contained a huge amount of amazing moments (Manning and his MVPs, other very good players, the regular seasons, the SuperBowl win, other AFC game appearances) that will be SORELY, oh so sorely missed when they're gone. And I think that deserves curving the grade.

When I think of all the good, the absolute worst I could give it is a B+. I have to give it an A.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

C?!?!?

An A, easily. Multiple SBs would make it an A+ (which may happen this year.) Do you have any idea how many NFL fans would kill for their team to have this kind of a decade?
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SoupIsGood For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

There are 29 other teams that would love to have accomplished what the Colts have in this decade. I give the Pats and Steelers an A. I give the Colts and NY Giants a B+ because they have generally put themselves in a position to succeed with regularity, and did break through and win it all. The Ravens, Tampa, and St. Louis all won SB's in this decade too but they have had some terrible seasons thrown in there with them so THOSE teams are the ones that get C's.
    Last edited by travmil; 12-22-2009 at 03:56 PM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

Mood

Don't get too worked up over it guys. It's a pretty thinly veiled attempt to get a rise out of the Colts fans here. This is the guy that started the thread to trade Peyton before the season, and we all know how much of a beating he took there. Oh how I wish that thread hadn't have gotten lost in the Great Forum Crash of 2009.
    Last edited by travmil; 12-22-2009 at 03:48 PM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

Doesn't bother me at all. However, wondering if we'll have -5 dgree temps during the parade this time does.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

A "C" is a little harsh. I can understand it in terms of playoff failures but it doesn't reflect the success of the regular season overall.

I think we did wait a little too long to address some things (such as our formerly easy to beat defense or our formerly dismal ST performances) but is that on the players... the HC.... assistant coaches... management... ownership??

We didn't necessarily have the best chance for playoff success which is a shame when you have a player like Manning and some of the players he's had around him, OTOH looking at everything in hindsight a C is just too harsh.

...But I wouldn't give them an A either. We shouldn't have one lone SB appearance to show for the team we've fielded this decade IMHO.
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

10 years of 12+ wins I believe? 24 straight wins? SB 06? Peyton? Striking gold in the draft year after year?

Thats an A!
    "I keep wondering the same thing. Last week they had the 4th worst record in the league, had an 11.9 percent chance of winning the lottery and were in line to land a franchise type player like Derrick Favors or DeMarcus Cousins. This week? They have a 1.7 percent chance of winning the lottery, have the 8th worst record and are in line to draft Cole Aldrich or Greg Monroe. Way to go Jim O'Brien. Rest Danny Granger the rest of the season (if it isn't too late) and give Josh McRoberts lots of minutes. That ought to do it." - Chad Ford on winning meaningless games

Way to go Jim, you may have just put our franchise back another 4+ years.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thesterovic For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

B+/A- because of the playoff failures. If we win another Super Bowl then it's easily an A+

Mood

We have pretty much dominated the AFC the entire decade. I know we only have one SB win to show for it and our playoff losses are always brought up as our achilles heel when it comes to the colts but there are not too many teams in this decade that can say they have performed to the level of the colts on a consistent basis. I give them an A in my book.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to jeffg-body For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    From 2000 -2010

I want to hear your grade for the Indianapolis Colts.

I give them a C.

Yes they won a superbowl, the most regular season games but with the Patrios and Steelers winning more superbowls and the fact they do not have an overall impressive playoff record I give them a C. They have went 0 fer in the playoffs more than once and do not deserve a B!!!!
    LOL, how you win the championship in your sport and the MOST games and NOT get an A is beyond me.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Adam1987 View Post
    B+/A- because of the playoff failures. If we win another Super Bowl then it's easily an A+
    Man you guys are tough graders. Only two other teams were better than us this decade, Pats and Steelers. Then it's us and the distance between us and the fourth team is HUGE (probably the Eagles). I give the Pats, Steelers, and Colts As.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    Man you guys are tough graders. Only two other teams were better than us this decade, Pats and Steelers. Then it's us and the distance between us and the fourth team is HUGE (probably the Eagles). I give the Pats, Steelers, and Colts As.
    The Eagles have the same knock as the Colts, but they didn't break through and win one. The Giants did.

I'm changing my scale. Any team that got themselves a Super Bowl Ring gets at least an A. So that means my C's and B's from above are all now A's. If you want to give the Pats and Steelers an A+, knock yourself out. It won't make me any less proud of what the Colts have accomplished, or fans of the other SB winners from this decade less proud of what their teams accomplished.

He gave them a C. lol

Sometimes I think that guy says stuff just to get under people's skin. In this case it just made me laugh though.

-- Steve --

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacersfan46 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Compared to 1984-1999? Sure, they get an A+.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I would say, as of right now, a B+. If they win the Super Bowl again this season? A. If they go 19-0? A+.
    "I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right."

I agree with Shade.
    Already stoked for 2013-2014.

I feel you have to look @ the whole decade and yes if it was the regular sesaon I would give them an A+ but to have a season when you get demolished in the playoffs (San Diego two years ago) and multiple seasons of zero wins in the playoffs they drop to a C. Skip Bayless gave them a C-. Skip would lay Tom Brady in a heart beat though.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    C?!?!?

An A, easily. Multiple SBs would make it an A+ (which may happen this year.) Do you have any idea how many NFL fans would kill for their team to have this kind of a decade?
    I do because I live in Cincinnati.

Compare the the Colts to the Bengals, Chiefs, Lions, or even the so-called "America's Team" Dallas Cowboys (all teams that haven't won a playoff game this decade) for a minute and you see how superior a team the Colts have been this decade.

The Colts get an A- on my report card.

The Steelers get an A- and the Patriots get an A (this might've been an A+ if it wasn't for the whole Spygate debacle).
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

30. The Following User Says Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:

Mood

I feel you have to look @ the whole decade and yes if it was the regular sesaon I would give them an A+ but to have a season when you get demolished in the playoffs (San Diego two years ago) and multiple seasons of zero wins in the playoffs they drop to a C. Skip Bayless gave them a C-. Skip would lay Tom Brady in a heart beat though.
    So, besides the Pats, Steelers and Colts, rank the other Super Bowl champions of the decade then. Ravens? Buccaneers? Giants? Surely, with the fortunes of those teams for the ENTIRE decade, they would obviously be D's by your lofty standards since they only got one SB and not even close to the amount of other accolades the Colts have racked up right?

The problem you're not seeing here is that everyone IS factoring in the ENTIRE decade. They are just putting more weight on the Colts' spectacular regular season accomplishments than you are. If you want to act like those accomplishments are trash that's up to you, and while I don't agree I do respect that that's the way you feel. But you shouldn't try to make people feel like they are wrong for thinking the way they do about the Colts. It's an OPINION. If you don't want an opinion, don't ask for it.
    Last edited by travmil; 12-23-2009 at 11:50 AM.

Okay, here's the thing. A C is average. Since there are 32 teams in the league, about one in three teams should win a super bowl in a given decade. This means that, even judging only by postseason success, the Colts almost have to be graded above average. When you factor in regular season wins I find it difficult to grade the Colts below an A.
    That'll do.

Mood

Pig, I chuckle a bit every time I see your "UP, UP, and away" signature. It's one of those thing I wish I had thought of.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Also, this is something that you really should wait until this decade is actually over. The Colts are better than they've ever been this decade and have a good chance to win a SB this season. That would have a major effect on how they're graded this decade, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

B-

Should have at least 3 Lombardi trophies by now.
    BUILT, NOT BOUGHT