Thread: What I Would Do (If Anybody Cares)

Default What I Would Do (If Anybody Cares)

So I've made my annual trip to Indy. I have tickets for the Memphis game on Wednesday. I don't know if this is the best or worst of all possible times to come see a Pacers game. We'll find out soon enough.

I've been thinking about what I would do if I were Jim O'Brien. Here's what I come up with:

Starting Lineup:

PG - AJ Price - Neither Ford nor Watson is playing at a very high level right now. AJ looks good in practice, right?

SG - Luther Head - He's been our best guard over the last several games. He'll get killed by big 2's on the defensive end, but I'm going to have him take it right at those guys on offense and see what happens. He's also the first guy I'm subbing out.

SF - Brandon Rush - Brandon's looked better lately. He's our best perimeter defender and, I think, slightly better at guarding 3s than D. Jones.

PF/C - Tyler Hansbrough - He's the hardest working player on the team, and is probably quickly becoming the most popular for the game-watching casual fan. He's also acheiving a decent amount of success on the court.

PF/C - Troy Murphy - Everybody's favorite punching bag is actually playing well lately. He's been the best vet by far over the past 5 or so games. I start him for two reasons: his play warrants it, and I want to send a message to the other vets. Also, the defense has shown the ability to function well with one unathletic player (see early season win streak w/ Hibbert), for now I'm choosing Troy.

Subs:

Dahntay is the first man off the bench and he's coming in for Head.

I'm bringing Dunleavy in for 2-3 5-6 minutes stretches each game. When he's in the game he's ordered to never stop moving on offense and to never try and create off the dribble. I'm also making sure he's always in the game with Hibbert or Solo and never with Murphy.

Ford/Watson - If Price plays moderately well he's getting 30+ mpg. For the other PG minutes, I'm going with what the team needs: Ford for offense, Watson for defense. I'm probably not going to play a 2 PG backcourt, but if I do it's not going to be Watson/Price.

Bigs:

Hansbrough is getting as many minutes as possible.

I'm rotating Murphy and Hibbert, trying to get about 24 mpg for both. I'm never, ever playing them together again.

I'll play Solo and McBob every game at both positions.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Default Re: What I Would Do (If Anybody Cares)

sounds good, and yes, murphy has been good on offense, but doesnt his defense worry you a bit? the past few games have been a dunk/layup fest for opposing bigs because of his utter inability to protect the post...or anything for that matter. id prefer having somebody whos more solid and constant on defense. (hibbert/solo)

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I would be a little more inclined to something like this, but it's still a reach.

Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Dahntay is the first man off the bench and he's coming in for Head.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

I like your line-up, but I do not value the same players. I think these guys could at least get us off on a good start early, but mostly I don't care who starts. It is the minute distribution I'd like to see. Over the next 15 games you should know who really is the best. Watson deserves more minutes, but who cares, he's gone next year anyway.

To start;

PG- TJ Ford(24 min.) - Yeah, say what you want he's the best we have.
    SG- Head(24 min) - Ball-handling and shooting, dribble drives.
    SF- Rush(24 min) - Best defender on the team, spot up shooter.
    PF- Hansbro(30 min) - Because he deserves it.
    C - Murphy(32 min) - Because all our centers get lit up anyway.

Sixth man - Dunleavy(24 min)

Reserve minutes;
    Hibbert(18 min), Dahntay(24 min), Watson(16 min), Price(8 min), McRob(16 min), Solo(whatever is spared by foul trouble).

Inactive;
    Foster, Diener, Granger

A happy Roy is a good Roy DaveP63's Avatar

I'd like to see Head get some extended minutes. He kind of reminds me of M Daniels with another gear.
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...nce-stephenson
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetimeís worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

Eh. I hate the lineup, but perhaps no more than the other lineups we've run with.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Only thing I'd change is the center. Really, a Tyler/Murphy frontcourt spells trouble. Put Hibbert or Solo there, IMO.

What starting big man set doesn't spell trouble?

Quote Originally Posted by EmCeE View Post
    What starting big man set doesn't spell trouble?
    I actually don't think Tyler and Hibbert would be too bad. Or at least it's the best pairing.

Tyler's a decent defender, he's quick. And he can score. He brings a lot of energy to the team.

Hibbert's a good offensive player. I think JOB, or anyone could come up with a better defensive scheme...and actually..run and gun is an awful system for Hibbert too..but to be perfectly honest, paired with Price, Hibbert would be fine because Price is going to want to play the PnR and Hibbet can play that well, especially with AJ. *As we saw in the summer league*

Murphy wouldn't be bad to have off the bench either. Especially if you needed some points. But if he's coming in. He's coming in with Solo. Tyler and Murphy is just too small of a front court. And Hibbert and Roy are just too pathetic defensively. So bring in Murphy and Solo at the same time.

JOB completely ignores who should play with whom. You need a balance, and you need players with good on court chemistry. The only two that JOB consistently puts together is TJ and Murphy, who clearly do have chemistry. Granted anyone with half a brain would sit them both on the bench. Who cares if you compliment each other, if both of you hurt the team when you are in. Some players just play really well together, and sometimes there's really logical reasons to put two players together *Murph and Solo*

And from Summer league and the games we've seen several different things.

Rush and TJ can't play together.
    Watson and DJones can't play together.
    Dunleavy, when he doesn't look dead, plays well with every besides TJ.
    AJ has also played fine with everyone besides TJ. Granted we haven't seen too much of him to know.. But through summerleague we saw that he played especially well with Hibbert and Hansborough.
    It doesnt' matter whose in with Head. There doesn't seem to be much either way. There's postives and negatives to playing them with Watson or Ford. Play Head with Ford, and Ford won't completely be able to ball dominate. And when Ford does dribble to far in and needs to be bailed out Head's a good shooter. But that backcourt is terrible defensively. Which is why Watson and Head are good together. Nice mix of offense and defense.

I could continue on..I think this stuff is pretty logical..but we keep getting lineups of either Watson, DJones, a dying Dun, Tyler and Solo, or TJ, Head, Rush, Murphy, Hibbert. It doesn't make any sense, really.

This team doesn't have any stars with Granger hurt. These players are all about the same, so it's especially important to play good combos.

Personally, my lineup would be Price, DJones, Rush, Hansborough, Hibbert.
    Backups: Head, Dun in spurts, Murphy, Solo, Watson.

Price, can play with most combinations, with the exception of forcing him to play SG with TJ. *He can do that pretty well with Watson* He's probably the best all around PG on the team. He can play the PnR the best. He can go fast, but not out of control. He's solid defensively. And he doesn't do stupid stuff. He's also got the PG mentality.

DJones over Head for starting SG for a couple of reasons. With other offensive players on the court *Price, Hansborough, Hibbert, and Rush depending upon the day* So the defense of the other team won't be focused on him. And he's one of the best defenders on the team. Plus, I think having DJones out there with the younger guys isn't a bad idea. He's been the best veteran leader so far.

Rush, I would think it would be better to go with a Price, Jones, Rush, backcourt, rather than a Price, Head, Jones backcourt. This backcourt is bigger, and it's better defensively. Head also can't do anything that Rush can't do, if Rush is aggressive. But I think with Price he'll get a more systematic offense, which will help Rush.

Hansborough. I think this one is fairly obvious. Between the energy and offense he brings. The fact that other teams hate playing with him. The fact that in summerleague he did really well with Hibbert and Price. The fact that he's not Murphy....

And Hibbert. Like I said at the begining. Hibbert and Hans have the possibility of being a decent front court.

Subbing..you obviously go with the flow of the game, which JOB can not do or does not do. He makes the same subs pretty much every game. *Rush in at the 6 minute, Ford in at the Four minute mark, of the first quarter..I really think that's why he struggled to find Price minutes, and just forgot that idea. That wasn't how his system worked.*

If the team needs a little more offense, you put Head in for DJones or Rush. If you want to bring in Murph, bring in Solo with him. Don't leave Hibbert on the court with TJ, Head, Dun, and Murphy, because he's sure to pick up foul trouble ect...This is just logic with player abilities, and reacting to what you need in the game.

Sorry *rant over*

I've always been a fan of "traditional" basketball, i.e., PG's run the offense and distribute the ball more than they score, Centers and PFs do most of their dirty work around the basket, SGs as your primary deep ball threat and SFs as your primary defensive stopper and mid-range jump shooter. Where are the traditionalist among the available starters on this Pacers team?

Hibbert is a proto-typical Center who still needs time to develop. He's a keeper.

Murphy does not play underneath the basket whether at PF or Center. As consistent as he's been, he's not a shoot blocker and is rather ineffective in defending the paint. So, from a traditionalist point of view, I'd look to trade him.

TJ Ford would rather score the ball than pass it. His only real asset is his ability to push the tempo and take his man off the dribble. You need those traits in a PG, but you need him to setup the offense more. To that, Ford doesn't fit my view of a traditionalist either.

Dunleavy...bless his heart. He's trying, but he's no defensive stopper. Furthermore, his offense sucks big time right now and there's nothing I can point my finger at as to why he's struggling other than maybe it's taking him alot longer to adjust to playing on his "reconstructed" knee after playing one a bad one for so long. But for what it's worth, I'd still take a healthy Dunleavy from a year or two ago than the one we're left with now. Get it together, man!

BRush...what can I say? He's still green, but he has been playing much better of late. He has finally settled down and isn't trying to do too much out there. Still, a pure shooter he is not. But for the sake of future growth and development, I'd hold onto him until something better came along.

So, what would I do in an attempt to turn things around? Identify the more traditional players at their relative positions and play them!

PG - TJ Ford and AJ Price. You want to push the tempo? Then do it! Go all out with it from now on. This isn't a demotion to Watson, but rather finally committing to remaining true to the style of play you want for the team. So, if it's uptempo, make it so!!! Earl Watson's a fine PG. In fact, he plays more of the traditional PG role that I like. However, he's more of a half-court PG. It's for this reason I'd sit him out and use him only when you really want/need to slow the game down. (BTW, I wonder when Diener's due to return? I like his play as well, but I'm beginning to wonder if he'll ever get out of street clothes.)

Center - Hibbert is our man, but he doesn't have a legitimate backup. By playing Solo or Murphy at Center, you're really forcing the issue and playing both out of position. But what choice does JOB have with Foster constantly in and out of the lineup with back problems?

PF - I'd start Hansborough. Yes, he's a rookie, but he's shown he will not back down from anyone. He's tough, scrappy and goes all-out on every possession. Take advantage of it from the first tic off the game clock. Start him! And bring Murphy off the bench.

SG - Until Granger returns, I'd stick with BRush at starting SG. As I stated above, he's finally starting to settle down and let the game come to him. He's not trying to do too much and his decision making has gotten better. Tough it out with him at SG for alittle while longer.

SF - This probably the 2nd most screwed up position for the Pacers right now. Dahntay's not the defensive stopper we were led to believe. (Kinda like Kareem Rush was suppose to be the "shooter" the team needed a few years ago. How's that working out for us, Bird? Oh! That's right...we got rid of the big brother in favor of his little brother. What an upgrade? Yeah, I'm still 50/50 on BRush despite giving him props herein. But I'll openly admit that defensively, BRush is much better than his older brother in that regard. Neither are pure shooters, though.) Dunleavy is okay as long as he's not defending someone quicker or taller than he, but he's no real defensive stopper either. I hate to say it, but I really do miss Ron-Ron in that regard...not the nutcase, but the great defender he was here. I know alot of folks believe Granger should be at this position and maybe you're right, but based on the makeup of this team, I think Granger fits better at SG than SF ONLY because this team still has problems stopping the opposing team's best scorers at the point of attack - the Guards. Plus, Granger's the best 3-pt threat we have.

Starters/Reserves:

C - Hibbert/Foster/Solo
    PF - Hansborough/Murphy/McRoberts
    PG - TJ Ford/AJ Price/Watson/Diener*
    SG - Granger/BRush/Head
    SF - Dahntay/Dunleavy

*I'd actually play Diener behind TJ is he were healthy.

I'd said it before and I'll say it again: Put your best players forward at their relative positions whether veterans or rookies. That's a winning forumula more often than not. I do understand JOB has his work cut out for him. He has a roster full of rookies and newbies, he's dealing with constant injuries, and he has yet to have his ideal starters together once this year. But at this point, I think he has to see the reality of the situation. Certain players (starters) aren't getting the job done out there. (Once Granger returns and assuming no one else gets injured...) It's time to put the best players forward at their relative positions and just see what happens. It can't get much worse!!!

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by NuffSaid View Post

Starters/Reserves:

C - Hibbert/Foster/Solo
    PF - Hansborough/Murphy/McRoberts
    PG - TJ Ford/AJ Price/Watson/Diener*
    SG - Granger/BRush/Head
    SF - Dahntay/Dunleavy

*I'd actually play Diener behind TJ is he were healthy.
    Can't argue with this much. Not sure I'd have TJ at the top, I think he plays better off the bench and I think Watson distributes better which is good for Roy and Hans, but it seems a solid rotation that moves Murphy out of the starting lineup.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Can't argue with this much. Not sure I'd have TJ at the top, I think he plays better off the bench and I think Watson distributes better which is good for Roy and Hans, but it seems a solid rotation that moves Murphy out of the starting lineup.
    The idea is to play to the team's one true strength - pushing the tempo - while also capitalizing on two things this team either needs to do a much better job at or maintain a level consistency in performance:

1. Interior defense.

2. Maintain scoring among the reserves.

It's very clear to me that JOB has all of our energy players slanted to the 2nd Unit. Earlier immediately following the 5-game winning streak, we needed that among the reserves because it was the 2nd Unit that was faltering. But now, all the energy, movement and aggressiveness seems to be with the reserves. JOB still hasn't found that balance this team desperately needs. But that's due more to injuries; depth is no longer at a premium.

As to the PG situation, I'd like Watson to run the Point, too, but he doesn't push the tempo the way TJ, Diener or even AJ does. What he does bring to that position better than all others except maybe Diener is his ability to keep is turnovers low and is a pass-first PG. That's why I'm personally disappointed that it's taking so long (purposely, is my guess) for Diener to get back on the court.