Thread: Hans and Hibbert positive thread

Default Hans and Hibbert positive thread

If this has been brought up before Admin please move the thread. I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts were in regards to if Hans and Hibbert have a chance at being involved in the fresh sophmore game at All Star weekend. If I was picking the freshman I think Hans definitely should go. It is at least something positive to think about.

Default Re: Hans and Hibbert positive thread

I think Hansbrough will start in that game, and Marc Gasol and Brook Lopez will make it, leaving Hibbert out.
    "I keep wondering the same thing. Last week they had the 4th worst record in the league, had an 11.9 percent chance of winning the lottery and were in line to land a franchise type player like Derrick Favors or DeMarcus Cousins. This week? They have a 1.7 percent chance of winning the lottery, have the 8th worst record and are in line to draft Cole Aldrich or Greg Monroe. Way to go Jim O'Brien. Rest Danny Granger the rest of the season (if it isn't too late) and give Josh McRoberts lots of minutes. That ought to do it." - Chad Ford on winning meaningless games

Way to go Jim, you may have just put our franchise back another 4+ years.

I hope Hans wins MVP honors. you know even in that exhibition game he will bring the hammer

He is a beast.
    "I keep wondering the same thing. Last week they had the 4th worst record in the league, had an 11.9 percent chance of winning the lottery and were in line to land a franchise type player like Derrick Favors or DeMarcus Cousins. This week? They have a 1.7 percent chance of winning the lottery, have the 8th worst record and are in line to draft Cole Aldrich or Greg Monroe. Way to go Jim O'Brien. Rest Danny Granger the rest of the season (if it isn't too late) and give Josh McRoberts lots of minutes. That ought to do it." - Chad Ford on winning meaningless games

Way to go Jim, you may have just put our franchise back another 4+ years.

Banned

If the game is called like those games usually are.. Hansbrough might just get 20 FT attempts.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Hans is 100% in, but our sophs aren't.

Not sure about 20 FTAs. Isn't it a fast flowing all-star game with few fouls called? But without a doubt Hans will lead the game in FTAs.

Next stop June 2015

Hibbert is being under-rated on PacersDigest IMO....pretty broadly. It's like no one remembers the strides this guy made over the summer. Also, no one seems to recognize that this helter skelter offense combined with a soft PF is the opposite situation to make Hibbert look good out there.

...but one thing is clear. Hans does more to help this team win than either Roy or Brandon by some distance. It's rather strange that of the players with at least 400 minutes, a rookie has the best seasonal plus-minus on the team...but that's exactly what Hans has done. Playing ugly basketball, yes...but he's still more effective than the rest of our hacks. If he ever has a chance to practice and be part of a more traditional system...and he gets that midrange under control...good things could happen.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hans...and he gets that midrange under control
    What did ya think about that turn around fade ( Heat or Hawks I cant remember )? Thats the kind of shot he was making non stop from about mid season on his last year at UNC.

Sports Logo

I think Hansbrough has a good shot at making it. At first glance, it looks like the Rookies are thin on bigs but Hansbrough doesn't really stand out from the bunch and his FG% really hurts his chances. Two guys I really like are Gibson in Chicago and Ibaka in OKC. Jerebko has also been playing well for Detroit and of course you have Blair in SA. Personally, I don't think Thabeet should make it but he might just because they desperately need some size. I'm not sure if Griffin will be back in time, but I don't think it would be right to hand him a spot on the team without earning it.

Hey, if it were up to me I'd have the Rookies run with this line up:

PG: Lawson
    SG: Curry
    SF: Flynn
    PF: Jennings
    C: Evans

It's all entertainment right?

Look, I love Roy and I think we still have yet to see the best out of him but he's not making it. Certainly not over Lopez and Gasol. You add Love and Thompson to that and it's a wrap.

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Amongst rookies, Hansbrough ranks 6th in scoring (1st for PF/C) and 5th in rebounding. He's a lock.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    Amongst rookies, Hansbrough ranks 6th in scoring (1st for PF/C) and 5th in rebounding. He's a lock.
    He's actually 8th in scoring amongst all rookies, with Gibson and Jerebko less than a point behind him so not much of a difference there for him to be a lock.

Yes, he's 5th in rebounding.

He's also dead last in FG%. Not just amongst PF/C but amongst all rookies. Last!

So yeah, it's great he's 8th in scoring but when you look at his FG% next to his PPG you get that "Oh... I see"

Would you like 8.4 PPG on 50% shooting and 6.2 RPG?

How about 8.7 PPG on 48% shooting and 5.6 RPG?

Or are you satisfied with 9.2 PPG on 36.5% shooting and 5.1 RPG

The first two are Gibson and Jerebko, respectively and the last is Hansbrough. He's far from a lock, statistically at least but since it's an All-Star game of sorts his household name will help him.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Kuq_e_Zi91 For This Useful Post:

Hibbert is being under-rated on PacersDigest IMO....pretty broadly. It's like no one remembers the strides this guy made over the summer. Also, no one seems to recognize that this helter skelter offense combined with a soft PF is the opposite situation to make Hibbert look good out there.

...but one thing is clear. Hans does more to help this team win than either Roy or Brandon by some distance. It's rather strange that of the players with at least 400 minutes, a rookie has the best seasonal plus-minus on the team...but that's exactly what Hans has done. Playing ugly basketball, yes...but he's still more effective than the rest of our hacks. If he ever has a chance to practice and be part of a more traditional system...and he gets that midrange under control...good things could happen.
    did we just become best friends? (step brothers quote)

ive been pumping up hibbert probably more than anyone on this board.
    "To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine

Quote Originally Posted by Kuq_e_Zi91 View Post
    He's actually 8th in scoring amongst all rookies, with Gibson and Jerebko less than a point behind him so not much of a difference there for him to be a lock.

He's also dead last in FG%. Not just amongst PF/C but amongst all rookies. Last!

So yeah, it's great he's 8th in scoring but when you look at his FG% next to his PPG you get that "Oh... I see"

The first two are Gibson and Jerebko, respectively and the last is Hansbrough. He's far from a lock, statistically at least but since it's an All-Star game of sorts his household name will help him.
    his stats will continue to get better. the more we lose, the more he plays. mark it down.
    "To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine

Banned
    Mood

Hansbrough makes up for a lot of his poor FG% with his superstar-like level of drawing fouls. If you take a look at all three players FGA and total points scored, you'll see there's not a significant gap between Mr. Legend and the other two.

I'd take the one who's as productive as the other two, in less minutes. That's Tyler.

I think Gibson will be a nice player, possibly even a full-time starter, and that Jerebko can be a good 7th or 8th man off the bench, but Tyler's got that big time scorer's mentality that all of the greats have. It's only a matter of time before his shot starts falling, and when it does he'll be dropping 20 a night on a regular basis. Combine that with the fact that he's probably the most complete of the three, and I think it's a no-brainer. I'm confident that those who select the Rookie Challenge roster's will think so, too.

I think the Rookie Challenge people know that Hans will draw in people. Of course they'll pick him. It's a meaningless event.

A happy Roy is a good Roy DaveP63's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I dont' know about FT attempts, but he'll certainly lead the stat sheet in bumps and bruises inflicted..."Hey, Tyler. You know this is more or less and exhibition game, right?"
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...nce-stephenson
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetime’s worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    It's a meaningless event.
    Yup.

Not to spoil anyone's fun, but I couldn't care less who gets picked to play in the All-Star game, let alone any of those crass events like the dunk contest or the rookie game.

I don't care a snap about the glory of the "East." and I couldn't care less whether fans across the country respect Pacers players. They'll respect us well enough when the Pacers consistently beat their teams, and that is the only kind of respect worth having.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post
    Yup.

Not to spoil anyone's fun, but I couldn't care less who gets picked to play in the All-Star game, let alone any of those crass events like the dunk contest or the rookie game.

I don't care a snap about the glory of the "East." and I couldn't care less whether fans across the country respect Pacers players. They'll respect us well enough when the Pacers consistently beat their teams, and that is the only kind of respect worth having.
    Geez lighten up, it might be meaningless but its always nice to see one of your teams players participating at allstar weekend.

I get it Rex and Putnam. I know that it is a meaningless event, but I just thought I might start a thread with some positive meaning since everything surrounding the Pacers right now is negative. I personally would like to see Hans succeed in the "meaningless event" mianly because it can bring positive exposure to the Pacers organization and actually may increase television exposure if Hans does some incredible things. So come to think of it the game may be meaningless as far as the standings are concerned, but I guarantee you it is not meaningless to the Pacers organization as a whole.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to jhondog28 For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

I care about some players getting national face time because it increases the chances we might get some games on national TV.

One hopes that doesn't happen until we stop embarrassing ourselves...
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Remember how amazing Hans and Hibbs were during the Orlando summer league? I watched every second of everyone one of those games and was over the moon about our young guys.

Ahh, I miss the summertime...

Quote Originally Posted by bphil View Post
    Remember how amazing Hans and Hibbs were during the Orlando summer league? I watched every second of everyone one of those games and was over the moon about our young guys.

Ahh, I miss the summertime...
    The summer league certainly added fuel to my optimism for the team's fortunes this season; now I'm left with this "what the heck happened?" feeling. Very perplexing, to say the least.
    Bill

Banned
    Mood

Great little piece on Hansbrough's pre-draft workout with the Hawks, by former Indy Star writer Sekou Smith:

12:26 am June 22, 2009, by Sekou Smith

Tyler Hansbrough didn't leave anything
    on the floor after his workout with the
    Hawks Sunday morning.

HAWKSVILLE - The reviews were unanimous.

On 10-point scale, Tyler Hansbrough’s Sunday morning workout for the Hawks at Philips Arena ranks at the very top of anything conducted in the past five days.

It wasn’t any one thing in particular that had the Hawks’ coaches buzzing. It was everything. Hansbrough’s energy, effort and obviously better-than-advertised shooting and athleticism caught more than a few folks in attendance by surprise.

“He kicked the meter up. It was off the Richter Scale,” said Hawks assistant coach Larry Drew, who ran the team’s workouts all week. “That was one of those 8.0s, one of those quick, hard earthquakes. Because his energy is at another level. You just don’t see many players capable of playing with that type of energy and effort and can sustain it through a game, or even a workout. He plays at a totally different level than some of these young guys out here.

I felt like I needed an ice bath after watching his 90-minute workout. But Hansbrough proved a theory that a wise Eastern Conference executive reiterated to me Sunday night, “effort is a skill in the NBA.” And Hansbrough has it in reserve.

Alade Aminu (Stephenson High and Georgia Tech) and Shawn Taggart (Memphis) were the other bigs on hand Sunday. And they were also impressive in the individual drills and two-on-two work that was done. But Hansbrough’s refusal to go at anything but full bore during the entire workout had everyone buzzing afterwards.

Love him or hate him, and Hansbrough laughed about the fact that he’s inspired the masses to do either one or the other and sometimes both, he’s going to do it his way. And the truth is the Hawks could do a lot worse with the 19th pick. But they probably won’t have to worry about Hansbrough there, as I haven’t spoken to anyone anywhere that believes he’ll still be on the board when the Hawks are on the clock Thursday night.

“If this kid is still there at 19, the Hawks better not hesitate,” another Eastern Conference executive told me Sunday afternoon. “The kid’s a dream for coaches in our league, because he’s going to come in and crank things up automatically. He’s just wired differently than most of these other guys."
    It's also interesting to read that he was hitting his shots in pre-draft workouts, just as he did at UNC. I fully expect that it'll eventually happen in the NBA. He's proven he's too good of a shooter for it not to.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

I actually don't agree with this. I think Roy is helping more right now and will continue to grow much more than Hans. I just look at the draft and Tyler's high profile and think "who else are they taking"?

Hibbert clearly doesn't compare to Brook Lopez at this point, he's in a tougher class to stand out. Same for Rush with guys like Lee and CDR (ironically both on the worst team in the league).

Man, don't drag it into this. Keep out the spin and I won't respond to it...
    Hansbrough makes up for a lot of his poor FG% with his superstar-like level of drawing fouls. If you take a look at all three players FGA and total points scored, you'll see there's not a significant gap between Mr. Legend and the other two.
    If you only look at players with at least 250 minutes this year, Tyler is 17th in Points Per Shot, so while he does draw fouls it's been nowhere near enough to make him a great scorer.

His 1.11 is well behind Blair and his 1.32 PPS (4th on the list).

Yes, Jennings has been a spotty shooter despite the hype (though you take him for assists, not scoring) but the other big scorers like Casppi (1.36), Harden (1.24), Evans (1.24), Flynn (1.17) and Curry (1.17) are all ahead of him. The PPS was created specifically to bring out the impact of guys that draw fouls, a stat built for Tyler to shine in.

His FTA/FGA ratio is the highest in the rookie class at .486. There are only 4 other rookies in the .40 range. Thabeet .481, Harden .423, Derrick Brown .419, DeRozen .400

By the way, the other 2 main bigs in this draft, Blair and Thabeet, are both shooting 59% from the field.

If it makes anyone feel better my boy TWill is just dreadful in FG% this year, 37% himself and drawing few fouls. His PPS is an unacceptable 0.94. Of course I wanted him for defense and passing and would limit his FGA to 4-5 per game while putting him at the point-forward position.

Let me get a pen out.

*gets pen*

*click*

Okay.

[Writing it down for future reference]"Makes up for a lot of his poor FG%" = "is a great scorer."[/Writing]

Got it.