Thread: Why It's time to play the kids

Default Why It's time to play the kids

I’ll be honest, I’ve been suggesting this for a while now. But it hasn't been as painfully obvious of a conclusion before last night's game.

Play-
    Throughout the entire season, the few bright spots we’ve had, have come with Tyler, AJ, Head, and sometimes Hibbert’s play. The vets simply aren’t getting the job done. They aren’t winning, at this point they aren’t even competing.
    We’re currently asking Djones to do something he can’t do, be the MAIN offensive threat. We’re currently asking Dun to play quite a bit, despite the fact that something is clearly wrong. We’re playing Murphy because his stats look good, but the guy just simply loses. And we’re playing TJ, supposedly because we want to get rid of him, but every time the guy steps on the court his trade value decreases.
    The veterans aren’t even competing. And they aren’t expected to be here in 2011. Bottom line, there performance thus far has given the Pacers no reason to continue playing them.

A lineup of Price, Head, Rush, Tyler and Hibbert. With Watson, Djones, McRoberts, and Solo getting the primary backup minutes, with Dun WORKING HIS WAY UP to a good amount of minutes he can handle, and remembering not to play Djones with a group that can’t score. Would be the most beneficial towards the pacers play.

1. It develops the kids, with Djones, Watson, and Dun being a solid veteran presence.
    2. They’ll play hard. Will there be growing pains, you better believe it. But I’ve watched the younger guys, they compete. They play hard. They hustle. Most people can live with losing, if the guys doing the losing are at least competing and playing to their ability.

Marketing-
    Indiana’s most likeable players, are the younger players. Tyler is already the fan favorite. Many of the vets aren’t going to be here in the future. Wouldn’t it make sense to expose the fan base to the future?
    If Pacer fans watch the kids go out and play hard and compete. They’ll enjoy the team. Watching “the kids” will give fans more pride in their team because, as said, they’ll be playing hard, but also every positive moment will give fans an optimistic view of the future. It makes sense to play the guys that are going to be here in the long run. Fans need to identify with the players. Put a likeable team on the floor, and fans will be more likely to get attached to them.

This is really important because the Pacers are continuing to lose fans. Fans have nothing to cheer for. The Pacers aren't competing for a championship. They are barely competing in every game. Fans aren't seeing hope for the future either, as crappy veterans *TJ/Murph* are sucking up most of the playing time. Let fans "get to know" the youth on the team.

Fans could get attatched to Tyler's energy/hustle, McRobert's athleticism, the potential in Hibbert and Rush, AJ's maturity and leadership. As opposed to TJ's turnover proneness, and chucking, Murphy's lack of defense.

Bottom line. Pacer's aren't going to contend this year. They'll have a better shot of making the playoffs with a group that will at least look like they care. And the fans really need something to cheer for, and quite frankly hope for the future and energy of the kids is the best thing going for the Pacers.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Why It's time to play the kids

You are preaching to the choir. I think about 80% of this board has been screaming for this for the past few weeks.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Marketing-
    Indiana’s most likeable player, is Tyler Hansbrough. Tyler is already the fan favorite. Many of the vets aren’t going to be here in the future. Wouldn’t it make sense to expose the fan base to the future?
    If Pacer fans watch Tyler go out and play hard and compete. They’ll enjoy Tyler. Watching “Tyler” will give fans more pride in their team because, as said, he’ll be playing hard, but also every positive moment will give fans an optimistic view of the future. It makes sense to play Tyler, because he is going to be here in the long run. Fans need to identify with the players. Put a likeable team on the floor, and fans will be more likely to get attached to Tyler.
    No casual fan cares more about any other player but Tyler. I'm sorry. You can make the argument that we were already done Saturday against the Hawks, but there was nothing more than a dull groan when Josh came into the game.

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    Fixed.

No casual fan cares more about any other player but Tyler. I'm sorry. You can make the argument that we were already done Saturday against the Hawks, but there was nothing more than a dull groan when Josh came into the game.
    He's also the biggest name out of the younger guys.

My point is, the younger guys are, we think, going to be the future..allow the fans to get to know them. There is a lot more to be excited about every one of them then the Vets.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    He's also the biggest name out of the younger guys.

My point is, the younger guys are, we think, going to be the future..allow the fans to get to know them. There is a lot more to be excited about every one of them then the Vets.
    You still mean Just Hansbrough.

You still mean Just Hansbrough.
    No I don't. I mean McRoberts, Price, Head, and Rush as well.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

Banned

Fixed.

It was the last few minutes of garbage time in a 20+ point game. What did you expect when Josh came in?

He's a local guy, the fans will like his athleticism. There is absolutely no reason why he shouldn't get at least 10 minutes every single night.

I am FAR from a casual fan. I do not miss a game and Hansbrough is my favorite player. HE is not just the casual fans player.
    *removed* Just keep politics and religion completely out of it, please.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by WetBob View Post
    It was the last few minutes of garbage time in a 20+ point game. What did you expect when Josh came in?

He's a local guy, the fans will like his athleticism. There is absolutely no reason why he shouldn't get at least 10 minutes every single night.
    He is a spaz. A supernova of energy without any kind of control. He is a last resort for garbage minutes.

Banned

He is a spaz. A supernova of energy without any kind of control. He is a last resort for garbage minutes.

How much worse can the Pacers get by giving McRoberts quality minutes? None.

You can't tell me there aren't a lot of Carmel/Indy people in the stands who wouldn't appreciate seeing one of their own in the games.

Mood

You can't tell me there aren't a lot of Carmel/Indy people in the stands who wouldn't appreciate seeing one of their own in the games.
    It could be worse, McRoberts could be starting.

I'm pretty sure you're the only one who comes down from Carmel to see him play.

Banned
    Mood

Roy and Tyler are the only two youngsters on this team that I see a future for. If Rush, Price, McRoberts or anyone else step up to the plate then great, but it's not something I'm expecting to happen.

I wouldn't waste any time playing Josh. Hibbert is playing about all he can handle. Rush needs something, but I don't think playing time is it. Tyler has been playing as many minutes as the doctors tell the coaches he can play, so no change there. Price probably can play more minutes, I agree. Head? I don't consider him a young player.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

No love for Solo? This is pretty much his rookie year. He's only 24.

I understand he's the worst rebounder in Pacers history, but he is the best help defender and shotblocker on the team with a consistent faceup jumper. Good FT shooting big that is good at putback that plays hard every night.
    "I keep wondering the same thing. Last week they had the 4th worst record in the league, had an 11.9 percent chance of winning the lottery and were in line to land a franchise type player like Derrick Favors or DeMarcus Cousins. This week? They have a 1.7 percent chance of winning the lottery, have the 8th worst record and are in line to draft Cole Aldrich or Greg Monroe. Way to go Jim O'Brien. Rest Danny Granger the rest of the season (if it isn't too late) and give Josh McRoberts lots of minutes. That ought to do it." - Chad Ford on winning meaningless games

Way to go Jim, you may have just put our franchise back another 4+ years.

Mood

Forget the Carmel angle, but I agree with the premise of your post. McRoberts absolutely can not be any worse on defense than Hibbert or Murphy. Go ahead and play him out of position at the five if you want, you might lose low post scoring, but you will have more energy, an equal number of rebounds, and certainly similar at worst rebounding than with Hibbert in the game.

Mood

Why should McRoberts play before Solomon?

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Why should McRoberts play before Solomon?
    Good question. I really think as bad as our front court is though we should at least explore all options including Solomon and McRoberts.

Quote Originally Posted by Thesterovic View Post
    No love for Solo? This is pretty much his rookie year. He's only 24.

I understand he's the worst rebounder in Pacers history, but he is the best help defender and shotblocker on the team with a consistent faceup jumper. Good FT shooting big that is good at putback that plays hard every night.
    Wow, I fully intended including him in the original post. Sorry about that.

The Pacers extended a contract to Rush and McRoberts, that at least suggests they are interested in those two for the future. Rush obviously more so than McRoberts.

Price got a three year contract. Although, weirdly structured..it is three years. I think that suggests the Pacers are looking towards him for the future.

And obviously we have to see what they can contribute on the court in order for us to really know. But they actually need playing time in order to prove anything..

A happy Roy is a good Roy DaveP63's Avatar

If they don't see extended minuted at some point, in game situations, then how in the hell do you know exactly what you've got? "Well, they see them everyday in practice" is not an answer, as we all know that practice is hardly equivalent to a real game. Like Saturday hacking at the links versus the PGA tour...
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...nce-stephenson
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetime’s worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."