Thread: Did we lose the Mel Daniels threads?

Default Did we lose the Mel Daniels threads?

I wanted to go back and look for the discussion of what specifically Daniels disagreed with re: the coaching staff, but I can't find it. Anybody remember anything?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Default Re: Did we lose the Mel Daniels threads?

I do think it was lost when we lost all of the data sadly.

My memory of what was said is that it really was an issue between Mel and Dave Morroway but I could be remembering that wrong.

I do believe that he did make it clear that he disagreed with the extension and somehow made the statement that several of the players disagreed with it as well. But again that is just going off the top of my head.

However I can tell you from talking with Kravits that there was a lot more to the story than even we could imagine and that there are several players (not one or two but several) that were very unhappy with the extension.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Thanks for reminding me, Anthem

Shouldn't the article be floating around on the internet?
    "I keep wondering the same thing. Last week they had the 4th worst record in the league, had an 11.9 percent chance of winning the lottery and were in line to land a franchise type player like Derrick Favors or DeMarcus Cousins. This week? They have a 1.7 percent chance of winning the lottery, have the 8th worst record and are in line to draft Cole Aldrich or Greg Monroe. Way to go Jim O'Brien. Rest Danny Granger the rest of the season (if it isn't too late) and give Josh McRoberts lots of minutes. That ought to do it." - Chad Ford on winning meaningless games

Way to go Jim, you may have just put our franchise back another 4+ years.

Mood

Here are the two Peter Vecsey articles from the New York Post website:

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_...xDofoCvhQO87NI

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_...freCARwCuLdgyH

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Vecsey
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sources: Bird set to go at end of season

By PETER VECSEY

Last Updated: 6:58 AM, October 18, 2009

Posted: 2:54 AM, October 18, 2009

Agreed, it's hard to imagine Larry Bird walking away from a multi-million contract that has one year remaining after this one. Nevertheless, two NBA management sources, one inside the Pacers organization and one former employee whose initials are not D.W., contend the team president will call it quits at the season's conclusion -- citing health and lack-of-enjoyment issues.

That eventuality seemingly explains why Jim O'Brien recently was given a contract extension. It's reasonable Bird would take financial care of his coach because a new boss probably would look to make an immediate change, the way Bird did when he fired Isiah Thomas and hired Rick Carlisle.

Except that doesn't make sense, at least not if you believe those in the know who claim Bird believes the Pacers need a fresh approach and a young coach who is relatively on the same wavelength as the new breed of players.

One thing's for sure, "Our players were sick when they heard about the extension," someone on the scene accentuated.

This leads me to believe Bird took care of O'Brien for a job well done last season knowing he's going to fire him should the team get off to a horrible start.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Vecsey
    Daniels didn't deserve Pacers ax

By PETER VECSEY

Last Updated: 2:13 PM, October 23, 2009

Posted: 2:19 AM, October 23, 2009

YOU know the regular season is getting close when the commissioner is poised to throw out the first replacement referee.

You know we've been on a slippery slope since the change from a peach basket . . . and now we discover Mel Daniels was fired Wednesday by the Pacers as director of player personnel.

Owner Herb Simon and team president Larry Bird should be ashamed for not superseding GM David Morway's decision to hatchet one of Indianapolis' most revered sports figures, something he's wanted to do for months; conveniently he was out of the office, in Orlando, when the execution was implemented.

The no-frills, no-bulls stick rancher/barrel racer/trainer of quarter horses had been a valued member of the front office for more than 40 years.

Donnie Walsh should be embarrassed he ever hired such a paperweight as Morway, a former player agent whose basketball opinion rings hollow at his own family dinner table, to understudy him.

Daniels was the ABA's regal rookie for the Muskies in the league's inaugural 1967-68 season. The 6-foot-9 center's services were sold to Indiana (to keep Minnesota afloat, which moved to Miami, actually, and was renamed The Floridians), where the three-time MVP bulk-headed three Pacers championships.

His cruel sendoff (Daniels' chronic heart condition recently confined him to the hospital for a week) leaves the NBA unrepresented by a single ABA original.

It's enough to make a lot of us forever pick up our dribble.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Mood

The IndyStar links didn't seem to be working, but they get partially quoted in JayRedd's article on his website eightpointsnineseconds.com:

http://www.eightpointsnineseconds.co...ns-to-conseco/

Kravitz really seemed to have more inside info on this topic

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    I do believe that he did make it clear that he disagreed with the extension and somehow made the statement that several of the players disagreed with it as well. But again that is just going off the top of my head.

However I can tell you from talking with Kravits that there was a lot more to the story than even we could imagine and that there are several players (not one or two but several) that were very unhappy with the extension.
    You think it's related to our current troubles?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    You think it's related to our current troubles?
    It's possible. I was stunned about how candid Kravits was when I asked him about players being unhappy about O'Brien being extended. In no uncertain terms he told me that there were several player not only unhappy but very unhappy about it.

He didn't name names and to be honest with you I was so stunned by the way he cut me off to tell me that this was a fact that I didn't ask who. I'm sure he would not have said however he did emphasize that it was players not just one player.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13