Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 52

Thread: O Brien should resign, Bird should step in as coach

  1. #26
    Member Noodle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    888

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: O Brien should resign, Bird should step in as coach

    My question is can we afford to cut JOb after extending his contract? This is a struggling organization. There isn't much money to spend, so I guess we'll have to suffer along.

    I have forever defended JOb. Mostly for the reason that he seems to get the best out of his players, but that is exactly what is killing me and you all. He hasn't made any adjustments to his philosphy to cater to the needs of our current roster. These guys can't play well offensively in the this so called "freelance offense". For most of the season I have been quietly impressed with our defensive improvments, but what in the name of God happened to our offense. It almost seems that the team has given up on Jim too. Maybe for good reason, who knows.

    Hibbert and Rush seem to be struggling too much. In fact, I sometimes wonder if they are indeed that bad or if this system is flattening their play. Hibbert might do better if we consistantly played half court. The whole current starting line-up might benefit from that particular change. Watson, Dun, Jones, Murphy and Hibbert have one thing in common and that's the fact that they cannot create their own shots unless it's a jump shot. We need an isolation motion offense to put some life in these guys. Hibbert doesn't have many NBA qualities, but he can play post as well as pass from the post. If he must actually get playing time, we need to post him regularly as long as this starting line-up exists. I could at least enjoy the 45% that he seems to shoot. It's a far cry from the plain sadness that we've been shooting lately, or perhaps, we should start the bench. TJ, DJ, Head, Hans, McBob. Yes, I said McBob. At least he plays with confidence and passion. Solo is just as sad as Hibbert and should never ever play unless there is Hibbert(foul) trouble.

    The biggest problem with this team in reality is how untalented we really are. Name one player that is currently active that you would choose to start your playoff caliber team. Murphy, Dun, Jones', Ole' Roy, Solo(shoot me now), you get the point. JOb certainly has his shortcomings, but who do we really have. I'm feeling like the team now and almost agree to give up like they apparently seem to have done themselves. I can't wait any longer until these burdensome contracts expire. Sadly, this years draft is pathetic. So, like Uncle Buck essentially said, who would come here in the middle of this season to put out this dumpster fire. Nobody that's who. Sad but true we're stuck with JOb's job poorly done.

  2. #27
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,762

    Default Re: O Brien should resign, Bird should step in as coach

    Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think he said this because I said his line was bad

    his line : "Tyler is my Jesus Chrsit"

    I find that 1000 times more offensive than any sig line I have seen on this board
    To be accurate he said Mike Dunleavy not Tyler.

    Now having said that I do think that maybe your statement is not in line with the spirit of the forum either. It is either a social or political commentary and while it is not offensive to me it probably does need to go.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  3. #28
    Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, but Brooklyn/Naptown Raised!!
    Posts
    7,615

    Default Re: O Brien should resign, Bird should step in as coach

    Quote Originally Posted by theboyjwo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And I don't find it offensive at all, which means its all very subjective, which means you should have just held your tongue to begin with instead of making an issue about it.
    First off I never hold my toungue

    Second my quote was not to you as you could have seen by me adressing the original poster who indicated he had a problem with my sig line, which I couldnt understand so I simply asked why it bothered him (considering he claimed that a human being was Jesus)

    Third these type of things bore me, so I will end on that note
    Sittin on top of the world!

  4. #29
    Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, but Brooklyn/Naptown Raised!!
    Posts
    7,615

    Default Re: O Brien should resign, Bird should step in as coach

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    To be accurate he said Mike Dunleavy not Tyler.

    Now having said that I do think that maybe your statement is not in line with the spirit of the forum either. It is either a social or political commentary and while it is not offensive to me it probably does need to go.
    Are you refering to the lyrics from a rap song ?

    If anyone really finds that offensive, I wont agree but out of repect will remove it

    I do struggle to unerstand how anyone could be offened by it unless rap music just offends them period, which is their right
    Sittin on top of the world!

  5. #30
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,762

    Default Re: O Brien should resign, Bird should step in as coach

    Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are you refering to the lyrics from a rap song ?

    If anyone really finds that offensive, I wont agree but out of repect will remove it

    I do struggle to unerstand how anyone could be offened by it unless rap music just offends them period, which is their right
    Thank you


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  6. #31
    Member Noodle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    888

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: O Brien should resign, Bird should step in as coach

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    To be accurate he said Mike Dunleavy not Tyler.

    Now having said that I do think that maybe your statement is not in line with the spirit of the forum either. It is either a social or political commentary and while it is not offensive to me it probably does need to go.
    What the hell are we talking about? Is there anything wrong? To those who find it offensive, ease up. Jesus.

  7. #32
    We need John Wall. Thesterovic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    962

    Default Re: O Brien should resign, Bird should step in as coach

    Quote Originally Posted by EmCeE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What the hell are we talking about? Is there anything wrong? To those who find it offensive, ease up. Jesus.
    That was totally appropriate.
    "I keep wondering the same thing. Last week they had the 4th worst record in the league, had an 11.9 percent chance of winning the lottery and were in line to land a franchise type player like Derrick Favors or DeMarcus Cousins. This week? They have a 1.7 percent chance of winning the lottery, have the 8th worst record and are in line to draft Cole Aldrich or Greg Monroe. Way to go Jim O'Brien. Rest Danny Granger the rest of the season (if it isn't too late) and give Josh McRoberts lots of minutes. That ought to do it." - Chad Ford on winning meaningless games

    Way to go Jim, you may have just put our franchise back another 4+ years.

  8. #33
    Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, but Brooklyn/Naptown Raised!!
    Posts
    7,615

    Default Re: O Brien should resign, Bird should step in as coach

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thank you
    No problem , I will change it today

    Thanks for the way you put it to me

    In sales we say its 10% of what you say and 90% of how you say it

    Sittin on top of the world!

  9. #34
    Member Noodle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    888

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: O Brien should resign, Bird should step in as coach

    Now that or panties are loosened and untied up can we continue?

  10. #35
    Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, but Brooklyn/Naptown Raised!!
    Posts
    7,615

    Default Re: O Brien should resign, Bird should step in as coach

    Quote Originally Posted by EmCeE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Now that or panties are loosened and untied up can we continue?
    Absolutely

    Whats da deal man?
    Sittin on top of the world!

  11. #36
    Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, but Brooklyn/Naptown Raised!!
    Posts
    7,615

    Default Re: O Brien should resign, Bird should step in as coach

    Lets hope the "dreaded vote of confidence" rings true
    Sittin on top of the world!

  12. #37
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: O Brien should resign, Bird should step in as coach

    As for a resignation, I'm not going to let go of a paycheck. I'll leave it in the hands of management until my boss feels like I am doing the company more harm than good.
    Last edited by duke dynamite; 12-29-2009 at 01:41 AM.

  13. #38
    Member ksuttonjr76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Marion, IA
    Posts
    3,418

    Default Re: O Brien should resign, Bird should step in as coach

    Bird seems pretty adamant about not coaching again....send a pretty girl to his home to change his mind.

  14. #39
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,762

    Default Re: O Brien should resign, Bird should step in as coach

    There is something else to consider when asking O'Brien to resign. He has already done it before and I am not sure if he wants the reputation of being a quiter.

    I mean to do it once in Boston because of principle is one thing, but to walk away from this situation would look like he is cutting and running, maybe.

    Probably from his standpoint it would be better to be fired by Bird.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  15. #40
    All hail King George! KnicksRGarbage's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Crawfordsville,IN
    Posts
    159

    Default Re: O Brien should resign, Bird should step in as coach

    JOB being fired clearly isnt going to happen. And if it does, it wont be for a long time. How do I know this you may ask? Its because virtually the entire Pacers fan base wants it SO BAD. And if there are things that never happen, its most definitely those things that are desired by Pacers fans. I.E.- Winning a NBA Championship, winning 10 games before half of the season is over, JOB being ousted, Troy playing D, TJ being consistent, beating the damn Lakers, beating anyone.. I think you catch my drift.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to KnicksRGarbage For This Useful Post:


  17. #41
    Member IndyProdigy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    354

    Default Re: O Brien should resign, Bird should step in as coach

    Quote Originally Posted by KnicksRGarbage View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    JOB being fired clearly isnt going to happen. And if it does, it wont be for a long time. How do I know this you may ask? Its because virtually the entire Pacers fan base wants it SO BAD. And if there are things that never happen, its most definitely those things that are desired by Pacers fans. I.E.- Winning a NBA Championship, winning 10 games before half of the season is over, JOB being ousted, Troy playing D, TJ being consistent, beating the damn Lakers, beating anyone.. I think you catch my drift.
    wow. 6 posts and thats all you got? cmon, we're tough guys/gals. we can take it.
    "To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine

  18. #42
    Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, but Brooklyn/Naptown Raised!!
    Posts
    7,615

    Default Re: O Brien should resign, Bird should step in as coach

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There is something else to consider when asking O'Brien to resign. He has already done it before and I am not sure if he wants the reputation of being a quiter.

    I mean to do it once in Boston because of principle is one thing, but to walk away from this situation would look like he is cutting and running, maybe.

    Probably from his standpoint it would be better to be fired by Bird.
    Peck,

    Please remind me again why Obie quit on Boston? Was it because they wanted him to play a different style?
    Sittin on top of the world!

  19. #43
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: O Brien should resign, Bird should step in as coach

    Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Peck,

    Please remind me again why Obie quit on Boston? Was it because they wanted him to play a different style?
    Ainge and O'Brien didn't see eye-to-eye. The original phrase was, "philosophical differences".

  20. #44
    Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, but Brooklyn/Naptown Raised!!
    Posts
    7,615

    Default Re: O Brien should resign, Bird should step in as coach

    Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ainge and O'Brien didn't see eye-to-eye. The original phrase was, "philosophical differences".
    Thanks man

    I think it was that Danny insisted he teach defense and Obie thought better
    Sittin on top of the world!

  21. #45
    Professional Beachcomber mildlysane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Port Charlotte, Florida
    Age
    43
    Posts
    1,270
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: O Brien should resign, Bird should step in as coach

    We should hire Patrick Ewing as our coach. He has paid his dues as an assistant, and he would do wonders with Roy. As much as I hated him in the past, I would welcome him to our bench.

  22. #46
    Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, but Brooklyn/Naptown Raised!!
    Posts
    7,615

    Default Re: O Brien should resign, Bird should step in as coach

    Quote Originally Posted by mildlysane View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We should hire Patrick Ewing as our coach. He has paid his dues as an assistant, and he would do wonders with Roy. As much as I hated him in the past, I would welcome him to our bench.
    You know what that is an excellent idea. Ewing could help with Roy a lot. Not sure if he is ready to be head coach but maybe a top assistant

    good call either way
    Sittin on top of the world!

  23. #47
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: O Brien should resign, Bird should step in as coach

    I doubt Patrick wants to work in Indiana because of the history. If I recall correct, some pretty unpleasant things were yelled in his ear back then from "our" fans.

  24. #48
    Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, but Brooklyn/Naptown Raised!!
    Posts
    7,615

    Default Re: O Brien should resign, Bird should step in as coach

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I doubt Patrick wants to work in Indiana because of the history. If I recall correct, some pretty unpleasant things were yelled in his ear back then from "our" fans.
    You know what man , I was living in NYC during the 90's and a lot of that was blown out of porportion. Where there some unpleasent remarks? Absolutely. Of course they wouldnt tell you how the Pacer fans were treated at MSG. Also they (daily news) came up with the headline "Hicks vs Knicks" to me that was unflattering

    Back to topic, I am sure NAptown is not Patricks first choice, however if given a "lead assistant" title that would be enticing because his ultimate goal is to be head coach

    Another note, I am probably the only one that feels this way, but I would absolutely love us to make a strong push for Jeff Van Gundy
    Sittin on top of the world!

  25. #49

    Default Re: O Brien should resign, Bird should step in as coach

    Quote Originally Posted by mildlysane View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We should hire Patrick Ewing as our coach. He has paid his dues as an assistant, and he would do wonders with Roy. As much as I hated him in the past, I would welcome him to our bench.

    I like the idea, but I don't see Ewing wanting come unless he would be the top/#1 ast. With Jimmy's guy Lester filling that poosition, I don't see a change thus no Ewing.

  26. #50
    All hail King George! KnicksRGarbage's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Crawfordsville,IN
    Posts
    159

    Default Re: O Brien should resign, Bird should step in as coach

    I think my feelings on JOB are along the same lines as my feelings for Rush.. At this point I would take anyone over Jim. As I would take anyone/anything over Rush. Including, say, a Snickers bar??

Similar Threads

  1. Nice Article On Coach Caldwell
    By obnoxiousmodesty in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-28-2009, 03:38 PM
  2. Artest a future coach? Fun article
    By Unclebuck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-06-2005, 12:50 PM
  3. Stein Coach of the Year
    By Suaveness in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-30-2005, 10:11 PM
  4. Robotic Carlisle, LA Times article
    By Unclebuck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-05-2004, 12:05 PM
  5. So many fun articles out of New York
    By Unclebuck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-03-2004, 01:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •