View Poll Results: Have the wheels fallen off for this team?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, and something will probably change soon

29 47.54%
  • Yes, but nothing will change any time soon

30 49.18%
  • No, but something will probably change soon

1 1.64%
  • No, and nothing will change any time soon

1 1.64%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have the wheels fallen off of the wagon for this team?

Default Have the wheels fallen off of the wagon for this team?

Agree, or disagree? Either way, do you think change is "soon" to follow?

What I mean is this thing isn't going to fix itself, and something has to change. Be it players, coaches, or both.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Have the wheels fallen off of the wagon for this team?

Agreed. It's pretty obvious that this team has quit on O'Brien, and I suspect his time as head coach is nearly over. Like I said in another thread, I give him 10 more games, tops.

I'm not saying this solves anything, but when you are this bad, someone has to take the fall for it.

I don't know, have not seen any of the last two games. Judging by the last few games I've seen, Magic, Celtics, Spurs, I would say no, but the past two games the final score appears bad, but without seeing the games, I don't know

You're a better man than me. I'm not even giving him 10 games.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

I think the coach is gone by ASB. And a salary dump needs to happen.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Things need to change, but I'm sure they won't. Not until the off-season. Someone please tell me otherwise!

Mood

I chose yes and "something will probably change soon," but honestly that part is more hopeful than anything else at this point. I wouldn't be surprised by "nothing will change anytime soon."
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

"Everyone's values are defined by what they will tolerate when it is done to others." - William Greider

9. The Following User Says Thank You to gummy For This Useful Post:

The wheels have fallen off completely in my opinion, and I'm hoping Bird comes along soon and does his best Fred Flintstone impression to pick this team up

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The wheels have not just fallen off. They've exploded like a tractor trailer's on the interstate.

Something needs to happen. Sooner rather than later.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Mood

Since the Portland game, I have had 7 people tell me directly, "Well, when duke dynamite is upset and pessimistic, something with this team is wrong." Or, "When one of our biggest customers isn't happy, then we have a problem..."

I'm not really sure what the latter meant, but I am tired of hearing about it. If it takes that to realize something is wrong...

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The wheels have not just fallen off. They've exploded like a tractor trailer's on the interstate.

Something needs to happen. Sooner rather than later.
    Too soon.

Bird will not fire JOB for the simple reason is that the best player is out wiht injury and was not very effective when he was playing due to limitations with injury. Hard to expect a team with a bunch of young players and cast aways to go out and win very many games without the most talented player. Especially win they couldn't do it the previous season with the most talented player. I'd image JOB get atleast 20 games with a healthy Granger to prove someting.

I fully understand not blaming the coach for losing a lot of games when the best guy goes down (though Houston this year makes you wonder), but I also expect the players available to play a lot better than this as a group, even in a loss. They aren't just losing, they're getting their asses kicked for reasons under their control. This goes a step or two beyond missing Danny Granger.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by theboyjwo View Post
    Bird will not fire JOB for the simple reason is that the best player is out wiht injury and was not very effective when he was playing due to limitations with injury. Hard to expect a team with a bunch of young players and cast aways to go out and win very many games without the most talented player. Especially win they couldn't do it the previous season with the most talented player. I'd image JOB get atleast 20 games with a healthy Granger to prove someting.
    Why does it always come back to the coach? With any kind of moves that includes but it not limited to a coaching change.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    Why does it always come back to the coach? With any kind of moves that includes but it not limited to a coaching change.
    Because that is the only move that can be made. We can't make any trades because we don't have any players with value. A coaching change is the only thing that can happen. And it should. Soon.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I don't know, have not seen any of the last two games. Judging by the last few games I've seen, Magic, Celtics, Spurs, I would say no, but the past two games the final score appears bad, but without seeing the games, I don't know
    The last two games have been significantly and substantively worse.

To me, the biggest difference has been Dunleavy. Making bad passes, stupid turnovers, along with bad shooting and driving and apparent fatigue. Only Head and Hansbrough have been able to provide anything that resembles strong offense.

As I said in another post, without Granger we barely have a chance. Without Dunleavy and Granger we have no chance.

But I still think we need to replace JOB.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

21. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

ok i understand losing its normal a team loses some games, but its not about losing is about the type of basketball being played. in the last couple of games they have looked worse and worse and they seem to give up before they even start, certainly this was the case tonight

it certainly looks like there is no one in charge and no leadership from either the players or the coaches

never in the past 2 to 3 years have i seen this team more disorganized, confused and not competing in games

I don't think this team ever had wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I fully understand not blaming the coach for losing a lot of games when the best guy goes down (though Houston this year makes you wonder), but I also expect the players available to play a lot better than this as a group, even in a loss. They aren't just losing, they're getting their asses kicked for reasons under their control. This goes a step or two beyond missing Danny Granger.
    Houston has been a great example this year, as have the Kings without Kevin Martin have played close to .500 ball this year as well.

Detroit has played most of the year without Prince and Hamilton, they haven't been great, but they're better then us by a few games.

I think Portland is a good example as well, even though they have Roy and Alridge, they've been playing without keys guys for a lot of the year, and it keeps getting worse for them but they're still maintaining and playing solid basketball without Outlaw, Fernandez, Oden and Pryzbilla

Had it not been for the 2 win Nets, a couple breaks and bounces against the Wiz, and holding on at home against the Bobcats, we'd be a 6 win team, which would be 2nd worse team in the league record wise. Dunleavy was also playing well then, and he's not anymore.

I was actually encouraged by the fight against the Magic, Spurs and Celtics, but when I look back at those now, I'm curious if that has done more harm then good when it comes to hoping for changes!

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    True, but its the easiest decision to hold off on because they don't have Danny. Its the easiest "Yeah, but" excuse for Bird to justify, having to go through with such a hard decision the difficulty that follows. Sometimes status quo is just easier than change.

Also JOB isn't getting fired anytime soon because you haven't heard of any chatter about it. Its pretty formulaic how teams go about firing coaches in the NBA. A Rumor is thrown out there that JOB is on the hot seat. Newspaper and the media types start talking about it. Bird releases a statement saying that they are sticking with JOB and they support him fully right now. Inorder to quell overwhelming media attention from distracting the team while they secretly look for a new coach. Then in the next two weeks it actually happens. They won't be able to find a new coach and Lester Conner takes over for for the rest of the season. But again you haven't heard the JOB on the hot seat rumor pop up in the media. It happened that way with Frank, its happening this way right now with Del Negro in Chicago.
    Last edited by theboyjwo; 12-28-2009 at 12:26 AM.

Yes, change will come. I believe JOB will be fired. The question is will Bird give him time to have Granger, to prove he can win with him. But I think things have gotten so bad that he will have to do it sooner. The team looked so out of it tonight, regardless of having Granger or not, there is simply no excuse for the way this team has been playing.

I know talent has been brought up as a reason for the teams play. This is factor with Granger being out. Dunleavy's knee is an obvious excuse. But I think the teams problems run deeper. JOB is not completely at fault, but he is the coach, it's his job to get the team up for games and to coach a style that works. Last year we had some luck with his style, but not enough to make the playoffs. This year is going much worse than last, with no hope, IMO. Some brought up Houston as an example of a team without it's top players. This is a great example, they don't really have an All Star, but will most likely make the playoffs. Adelman has them competing every night, and winning, maybe due to the players mixing with his style better, I am not sure, but the point being we should be competing every night and that is just not happening.

Firing JOB and bringing in someone else in isn't any guarantee that things will instantly get better. But I do think we need the change. If we were showing more fight on the court, I would say give him more time, but that is just not happening, with really no sign of anything changing. The look on Bird's face says a lot. Many have said on here that they have seen him with his head down, shaking his head, etc... This leads me to think he will do something soon. He has to do something.

The change at the player level might take longer due to the contracts we have. But it to will change. I hope that we can at least move one of those contracts this season. But that is a hope, that I am not so sure will happen. It seems Murphs value is at a low. Dun's value is low due to the knee factor. Ford might have value, just not sure anyone would want him to be there point guard.

Let's hope something happens soon, the season is still young and it pains me to think things will continue this way.
    Avatar photo credit: Bahram Mark Sobhani - AP

You never know with the Pacers. Like Hicks has said in other threads it is possible we pick up more wins late in the year like we always seem to. Now, I don't see that happening this year because this team has very, very little talent, but recent history dictates that this is indeed possible.

I'd say if this team goes on any sort of losing streak of some substance immediately after the ASB, it is over. I know that is sort of a gutless prediction, but recent history with the Pacers shows that they are a relatively strong finishing team.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyjwo View Post
    True, but its the easiest decision to hold off on because they don't have Danny. Its the easiest "Yeah, but" excuse for Bird to justify, having to go through with such a hard decision the difficulty that follows. Sometimes status quo is just easier than change.

Also JOB isn't getting fired anytime soon because you haven't heard of any chatter about it. Its pretty formulaic how teams go about firing coaches in the NBA. A Rumor is thrown out there that JOB is on the hot seat. Newspaper and the media types start talking about it. Bird releases a statement saying that they are sticking with JOB and they support him fully right now. Inorder to quell overwhelming media attention from distracting the team while they secretly look for a new coach. Then in the next two weeks it actually happens. They won't be able to find a new coach and Lester Conner takes over for for the rest of the season. But again you haven't heard the JOB on the hot seat rumor pop up in the media. It happened that way with Frank, its happening this way right now with Del Negro in Chicago.
    Good point, but I think we will start hearing those rumors soon.
    Avatar photo credit: Bahram Mark Sobhani - AP

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I will be shocked if JOB makes it past the All Star break. In fact, I predict right now he's gone real soon.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Hoop For This Useful Post:

I told y'all the Rush/Bayless trade was a mistake.

I told y'all we would lose Jarret Jack and be a much worse team for it.

I told y'all I feared JOB was losing the team back when we were 5-4.

I saw this coming. And this is why I'm a pessimist.