Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's with Mike Dunleavy?

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Default What's with Mike Dunleavy?

Okay, he's been terrible. Why?

Injury? Fatique? If it wasn't for the fact that he's a certified milk drinker, I would honestly wonder if he was imbibing some chemical. He certainly is acting like it.

Maybe he's on some kind of painkiller.

Seriously, why has Mike Dunleavy become something completely opposite of himself the past few games?

He even attempted a stupid behind the back pass that led to another of his many recent turnovers. So unDunlike.

I'm a huge Dunleavy fan. Just looking for some insight and opinions on his recent play.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Default Re: What's with Mike Dunleavy?

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Injury? Fatique? If it wasn't for the fact that he's a certified milk drinker, I would honestly wonder if he was imbibing some chemical. He certainly is acting like it.

Seriously, why has Mike Dunleavy become something completely opposite of himself the past few games?

He even attempted a stupid behind the back pass that led to another of his many recent turnovers. So unDunlike.

I'm a huge Dunleavy fan. Just looking for some insight and opinions on his recent play.
    Yes time to be concerned but the Pacer organization will never make it public. I'm still waiting to hear why Tinsley and JO sat out big chunks of the season.

It's his conditioning. He doesn't get to exercise his legs other than during the games. Don't ask me why; that's just what I keep hearing is the case. The knee is fine, it's his leg conditioning.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    It's his conditioning. He doesn't get to exercise his legs other than during the games. Don't ask me why; that's just what I keep hearing is the case. The knee is fine, it's his leg conditioning.
    Did that cause him to attempt a stupid behind the back pass?

And to make several other boneheaded, unDun like passes that led to turnovers?

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Yes that is why I'm skeptical because they put out something that appears quite benign and then we learn much later that it is more serious.

remember Bender?

Don't know. I suppose some of that is possibly related in that he expected his body to allow him to do something it couldn't.

Not to mention, he's showing these "fatigue" signs 20 seconds into the game (the last three games anyways).

Perhaps he's given up on the coach as well, and simply doesn't care

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pwee31 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Overall fatigue would be my guess, which is connected to conditioning, obviously.

At this point I might rather Dun spend his minutes in practice until he can also play in the hopes that he is less likely to injure himself in practice during the process of getting his legs under him.

Of course, with our history I wouldn't be shocked to hear there is something more serious going on somewhere down the road.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

"Everyone's values are defined by what they will tolerate when it is done to others." - William Greider

Don't forget this is the NBA, and that means you don't regain 100% of your energy or get rid of 100% of your fatigue the next day after the game is over. In the NBA you have to be in superior physical condition just to minimize the continuous drain of energy of the months. Mike didn't get to that level of conditioning with training camp and further practice, and yet he's still being asked to play games constantly without the initial preparation. I think that's why it's hitting immediately in the games now.

I think he needs to be sat down from games and just be allowed to run instead to gain some conditioning where he can't hurt the team by his play.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Don't know. I suppose some of that is possibly related in that he expected his body to allow him to do something it couldn't.
    I mean, yes, you could be right.

But it just seems like it could be more of a motivational thing.

Quote Originally Posted by pwee31 View Post
    Not Dun, others maybe. Dunleavy has never played on a good nba team.

Maybe he's overcompensating for his body not being in condition to play the way he is more accustomed?
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by pwee31 View Post
    I would hope not, because JOB is the one coach (out of the 5 he's had) who has actually gotten Dunleavy to play up to his potential.

probably getting high with Rush before games

but seriously, this looks like a lot more than fatigue to me...I am not optimistic that his knee is holding up well

Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    probably getting high with Rush before games

but seriously, this looks like a lot more than fatigue to me...I am not optimistic that his knee is holding up well
    Wow, don't point something out that is done and over with, especially when JGray apologised. Thats disrespectful.

But as Denari said, Dun just seems out of whack.

When I used to wrestle, once during practice, I felt really sick. I felt confused and dizzy and I couldn't compete. I thought I was going to pass out. Thats what Dun looks like, confused. If you watch the game over he simply looks dehydrated or extremely ill, and it looks like he could just faint any time.
    "I keep wondering the same thing. Last week they had the 4th worst record in the league, had an 11.9 percent chance of winning the lottery and were in line to land a franchise type player like Derrick Favors or DeMarcus Cousins. This week? They have a 1.7 percent chance of winning the lottery, have the 8th worst record and are in line to draft Cole Aldrich or Greg Monroe. Way to go Jim O'Brien. Rest Danny Granger the rest of the season (if it isn't too late) and give Josh McRoberts lots of minutes. That ought to do it." - Chad Ford on winning meaningless games

Way to go Jim, you may have just put our franchise back another 4+ years.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Thesterovic For This Useful Post:

You also have to figure the other teams best player is probably going to be guarding him most games. Mix that with poor conditioning because he took over a year off and yeah your going to have your ups and downs. I am more concerned about jones. He was awesome to start the year and now is not scoring at all.

The problem is, if he doesn't have an injury now, playing him extended time when he's fatigued, makes an injury far more likely.

I'm 99% certain that it's more than conditioning. We're not seeing problems with Tyler and he's been on the same non-practice/non-strenuous workout regime as Mike since the early summer.

There's a large difference between being out of condition and being slow to react. Mike is playing exactly like he was last season before surgery. The biggest and most obvious red flag is that he's not bending his knees very much and he's not cutting as hard as he used to.

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    I'm 99% certain that it's more than conditioning. We're not seeing problems with Tyler and he's been on the same non-practice/non-strenuous workout regime as Mike since the early summer.

There's a large difference between being out of condition and being slow to react. Mike is playing exactly like he was last season before surgery. The biggest and most obvious red flag is that he's not bending his knees very much and he's not cutting as hard as he used to.
    Agreed. And these turnovers took place the past two games AT THE BEGINNING OF THE GAME.

Are you fatigued at the beginning of the game?

Agreed. And these turnovers took place the past two games AT THE BEGINNING OF THE GAME.

Are you fatigued at the beginning of the game?
    I feel Luther Head should be starting for him. Dunleavy does not have the speed to create his own shot and is a liability on defense. If we don't get transition points our team will continue to be behind 34-12.

A happy Roy is a good Roy DaveP63's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He's out of gas.
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...nce-stephenson
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetime’s worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He's been turrible, just turrible...quite possibly the MVP for those of us who want coaching change ASAP. Maybe he wants O'B gone, too, and is sacrificing himself for the good of the franchise.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    While Tyler plays with energy there is no way he runs around the floor as much as Dun does. Dun is often the only guy moving on a floor full of people generally standing around.

Also, bear in mind that Tyler had at least a College Basketball season plus summer to get into some kind of condition, while Dun had nothing since early last year.

I agree that Dun should skip games and use practice for conditioning until he is back up to some kind of camp shape.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

29. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

He wants to win so bad, he's literally going out on a limb trying to play, When it took 10 months to recover. Thats a leader to me.
    "I keep wondering the same thing. Last week they had the 4th worst record in the league, had an 11.9 percent chance of winning the lottery and were in line to land a franchise type player like Derrick Favors or DeMarcus Cousins. This week? They have a 1.7 percent chance of winning the lottery, have the 8th worst record and are in line to draft Cole Aldrich or Greg Monroe. Way to go Jim O'Brien. Rest Danny Granger the rest of the season (if it isn't too late) and give Josh McRoberts lots of minutes. That ought to do it." - Chad Ford on winning meaningless games

Way to go Jim, you may have just put our franchise back another 4+ years.