Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bill SImmons thoughts on the Pacers...

Default Bill SImmons thoughts on the Pacers...

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...3&sportCat=nba

Interesting read.

Indiana Pacers (group A)

2009-10 payroll: $66.9 million
    Projected 2010-11 payroll: $65.7 million (OVER)

• VP's Take: The Pacers should be a small-market team that pays one big star (in this case, Danny Granger) and a bunch of scrappy role players. Right now, they're in no-man's land -- destined to win 35 to 42 games a year, with no chance of growing into something better than that. Why not just bottom out? Like what David Kahn tried to do in Minnesota, only not as clumsy and caked in double-talk.

• Mitigating Factor: Any "bottoming out" needs to include the team dumping Troy Murphy, Mike Dunleavy and/or T.J. Ford (making $60.3 million combined through 2011). On the Untradeable Scale from 1 to Gilbert Arenas, Murphy is a 2, Dunleavy is a 6.5 (because of knee issues) and T.J. Ford is an 8.

• VP's Verdict: Move those Dunleavy/Murphy contracts while they're in uniforms and not street clothes or walking casts. For example …

Fake Trade 3a: Murphy and Dunleavy to Cleveland for Shaq's EC. Love the Murphy fit for Cleveland because he can shoot threes and rebound; they could play him, Varejao, LeBron, West and Williams at crunch time. Anything Dunleavy gives them is a bonus. For Indiana, they can buy out Shaq (saving a couple of million dollars), then save another $23 million next season. And you thought professional basketball couldn't be salvaged in Indiana! Let's celebrate by hitting a local strip club and firing gunshots into the air. What, too soon?

Fake Trade 3b: Murphy, Dunleavy and Travis Diener to Utah for Andrei Kirilenko, Kosta Koufos and Kyle Korver's EC. Admittedly, this trade makes no sense -- I just wanted to break the record for "most white guys in an all-white trade."

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JBones19 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Bill SImmons thoughts on the Pacers...

eh, his suggestion for the Pistons was trading Tayshaun Prince to Boston for a bag of balls. He's shtick.

His solution for detroit will forever be give players to the celtics simply to irritate every piston fans who reads his column, and his solution to the Pacers will forever involve more white players. It's his routine.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    eh, his suggestion for the Pistons was trading Tayshaun Prince to Boston for a bag of balls. He's shtick.

His solution for detroit will forever be give players to the celtics simply to irritate every piston fans who reads his column, and his solution to the Pacers will forever involve more white players. It's his routine.
    My solution to his column is never reading it unless an Indy team beats a Boston team. Then it's entertaining. His column was great earlier this year when the Pats and Celts lost to the Colts and Pacers on the same weekend.
    Last edited by travmil; 12-24-2009 at 12:18 AM.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I've always enjoyed reading Simmons. I think he's pretty funny.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Seems like he is just stating the obvious. Murphy would be a terrible fit in Cleveland though. Could you imagine a Murphy/Z/Shaq combo guarding Wallace/Garnet, Horford/Smith, Gasol/Odom, or Lewis/Howard?

Of course we would move Murphleavy/Ford for a bag of chips to get the cap relief, but there are no takers.

Indy's #1 Hockey Fan Peter_sixtyftsixin's Avatar

I can't stand him, but it's basically due to his plan to "fix" the NHL and my idiot friends that think it's a fantastic idea.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Adam1987 View Post
    Me too. Not the most informative, definitely the most entertaining.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mourning For This Useful Post:

I enjoy him often as well, but I'm beyond tired of "Hey, it's Indiana, let's talk about the white people! Har har har!" crap.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Adam1987 View Post
    Me too, and I'm not only a Pacers and Colts fan but also a Yanks fan, so it's a strong trifecta of hate for all his teams. I'd go as far as to say I've experience the anti-Simmons sports life.

We both loved Microleague baseball and have a crazy infatuation with the NBA over the other major sports. And we both split 10's against a weak dealer card.

I do think he was stating the obvious, but then I read plenty of stuff here at PD that doesn't see this stuff as obvious. People are still talking like the Pacers don't need to move Troy, Dun, or TJ, and they still talk like the team is about to be players in the FA market.

Cleveland could use Troy as the kickout from James and he would draw one of the bigs out of the lane too. I don't know if they want to risk the salary addition. I do think the Pacers would do this deal and would buy out Shaq as suggested.

It's much more in the ballpark of the hard reality we need to face still. The cap dropping is really choking off the options the Pacers have because they are losing willing trade partners. All the high priced vets near the ends of deals are stuck, and in for a big shock when they hit the FA market in the next 2 years.

The Pacers picked a really bad time to take on longer, more expensive deals when they did, though obviously the economy hadn't turned back then.

Mitigating Factor: Any "bottoming out" needs to include the team dumping Troy Murphy, Mike Dunleavy and/or T.J. Ford (making $60.3 million combined through 2011). On the Untradeable Scale from 1 to Gilbert Arenas, Murphy is a 2, Dunleavy is a 6.5 (because of knee issues) and T.J. Ford is an 8.
    Just sickening to see that number up there. $60m.
    But I love his ranking on trading guys. Normally Ford would seem the most tradeable as the most reasonable deal, so clearly he's aware of how Ford is playing.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 12-24-2009 at 03:05 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

I'm not familiar with Simmons but from what I gather he is a columnist like Kravits is.

In other words the fact that we are talking about him, he wins.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JBones19 View Post
    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...3&sportCat=nba

Interesting read.

Indiana Pacers (group A)

2009-10 payroll: $66.9 million
    Projected 2010-11 payroll: $65.7 million (OVER)

• VP's Take: The Pacers should be a small-market team that pays one big star (in this case, Danny Granger) and a bunch of scrappy role players. Right now, they're in no-man's land -- destined to win 35 to 42 games a year, with no chance of growing into something better than that. Why not just bottom out? Like what David Kahn tried to do in Minnesota, only not as clumsy and caked in double-talk.

• Mitigating Factor: Any "bottoming out" needs to include the team dumping Troy Murphy, Mike Dunleavy and/or T.J. Ford (making $60.3 million combined through 2011). On the Untradeable Scale from 1 to Gilbert Arenas, Murphy is a 2, Dunleavy is a 6.5 (because of knee issues) and T.J. Ford is an 8.

• VP's Verdict: Move those Dunleavy/Murphy contracts while they're in uniforms and not street clothes or walking casts. For example …

Fake Trade 3a: Murphy and Dunleavy to Cleveland for Shaq's EC. Love the Murphy fit for Cleveland because he can shoot threes and rebound; they could play him, Varejao, LeBron, West and Williams at crunch time. Anything Dunleavy gives them is a bonus. For Indiana, they can buy out Shaq (saving a couple of million dollars), then save another $23 million next season. And you thought professional basketball couldn't be salvaged in Indiana! Let's celebrate by hitting a local strip club and firing gunshots into the air. What, too soon?

Fake Trade 3b: Murphy, Dunleavy and Travis Diener to Utah for Andrei Kirilenko, Kosta Koufos and Kyle Korver's EC. Admittedly, this trade makes no sense -- I just wanted to break the record for "most white guys in an all-white trade.
    "
    Bill Simmons actually wrote that? How is he working for ESPN? I could have wrote something better than that....that is the worse piece I've ever read. Like for **** sakes, you work for ESPN, but some thought into your work
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

If you don't like SImmons, I would suggest reading his most recent book which is all about the NBA. It's really good stuff.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    Bill Simmons actually wrote that? How is he working for ESPN? I could have wrote something better than that....that is the worse piece I've ever read. Like for **** sakes, you work for ESPN, but some thought into your work
    I think it was a joke man.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I think it was a joke man.
    It was definitely a jokes, but saying something like "most white guys in an all-white trade" its crossing the lines.

Im a league that is majority dominated by blacks, publishing something that Simmons did is totally wrong
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

pretty sure the people who had a problem with it for the most part are not black.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

It was just a joke. That's just Simmons being Simmons. I don't think he made that joke to poke fun at Indiana. Simmons makes comments like that all the time. I could go through the book and dig plenty out. I think they are all funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    If you don't like SImmons, I would suggest reading his most recent book which is all about the NBA. It's really good stuff.
    Agreed. Got it yesterday as a Christmas present and haven't been able to put it down. It's both informative and hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    I'm not familiar with Simmons but from what I gather he is a columnist like Kravits is.

Not really.

Simmons humor is intentional. He's an admitted Boston/NE homer, takes pot-shots at situations that deserve them and in general - is a pretty entertaining writer.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

...which is why you cant take anything negative he says about Wilt Chamberlain seriously.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Simmons is strictly entertainment. Nothing he says should ever be taken seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Simmons is strictly entertainment. Nothing he says should ever be taken seriously.
    He actually knows what he's talking about. God forbid a sports writer actually tries to be entertaining at the same time.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post

Hardly. He's a comedy sports writer. He does follow his sports in detail, but has always been a humorist. He was a writer for the Kimmel show at one point and hangs out with Jimmy, Adam Carolla and several other guys in that group.

I listen to every Simmons podcast, much more than I keep up with his articles.

People hate him because he blatently supports his Boston teams, but he's not trying to be sneaky and is willing to bite the bullet when things don't go well.

IMO people that see him as a Kravitz antagonist type are tweaked because he likes teams they don't. Unlike Kravitz Simmons goes well out of his way to study the NBA specifically, though he's got a knack for the NFL and gambling. He and Cousin Sal (Kimmel show) weekly compete to guess the NFL opening betting lines, not the games.

Simmons spent years researching NBA history and getting access to archival game footage for a massive book on all things NBA. In other words, unlike Kravitz Bill Simmons is massively well informed when it comes to the NBA. He watches games, he knows players, he doesn't just hawk the box scores and opinions of other writers. In fact he attended the national NBA staticians conference last year and has been a pretty good friend of Moray, the Rockets GM that presented his stats analysis supporting Battier as an underrated player.

Bill Simmons is also one of the main forces behind the 30 for 30 film series which will feature the Reggie vs the Knicks documentary in a few months. These docs have been pretty strong and at times brilliant. The footage of Bob Irsay drunk at the Baltimore airport holding an impromptu press conference is must viewing for all Colts fans.

In short, Simmons works his sports job like a pro. He digs out the info and does tons of research. And he's funny.

*he's also pretty well versed in all things MTV Real World, Road Rules and most recently Jersey Shore.

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    In one sense I thought of this joke as a bit dated, but from a national view and even really still local outside of PD it's still timely. Have you not talked to the local non-fans about the team lately? This is still their opinion of them.

Plus knowing his verbal delivery I find the "What?! Too Soon?!?" gag funny. It's quality sarcasm partially making fun of his own joke, he does this stuff all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post

Pick his new book up. That might change your opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    ...which is why you cant take anything negative he says about Wilt Chamberlain seriously.
    Everyone who follows Bill Simmons understands that he's a Boston homer. I like it (and I'm a Colts and Yankees fan). It makes him more real and authentic. Sure he's biased when he says that the 86 Celtics are the best team ever or that Russell was better than Wilt, but those are both defensible opinions and he does a great job supporting them. Just because he's biased doesn't mean the book isn't jam-packed with awesome info, hilarious stories, and astute analysis of tape. I have never come across anyone who has gone through so much effort to write a complete book on the NBA.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 12-26-2009 at 02:31 AM.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post: