Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pacers vs hawks postgame thread

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Default Re: Pacers vs hawks postgame thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Theodore View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I had some unbelievable seats for this game, 5th row section 15. Let me say that Hansbrough was the only reason I didn't leave after the second half. Hansbrough and Head were the only players that decided to actually try to win this game, everybody else was going through the motions.

I was with my father who has not watched the Pacers at all this year, however he used to coach high school basketball and knows a thing or two about the game. Here are some quotes from my father, again..someone who has not followed this team AT ALL.

"Can Dunleavy jump."

"When did Troy Murphy get 19 points!"

"Hansbrough sure doesn't look like a rookie"

"Who drafted Brandon Rush:

"Ford can score the ball"

"Roy has a nice touch, is he injured? He should play more."

To me it was very interesting to watch the game with someone who was completely uneducated on this Pacers team. We both had a blast watching Hansbrough play. I kept screaming "Hansbrough is too much for the Hawks." He really was, not only could Josh Smith not even come close to guarding Hansbrough, Hans was the only guy who even remotely came close to altering any of Horfords shot attempts.

TJ Ford off the bench is a no brainer and it needs to stay that way, regardless.

Bottom line is Hawks are a much better team than us, I am just glad Hansbrough made the game worth the price of admission.
    I am all for religious freedom, but your sig line really bothers me

To compare Tyler to Jesus is very upsetting
    Sittin on top of the world!

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post

It would bother me too if I could read it, but I have signatures turned off.

That's a hint if you didn't realize it.

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    It would bother me too if I could read it, but I have signatures turned off.

That's a hint if you didn't realize it.
    Thanks Will,

I am sure he is just a young kid who doesn't realize the implications of his tag

I digress though, I once was young
    Sittin on top of the world!

Custom User Titleist
    Another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound, but of mind.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Hansbrough was overall better than he was bad. He made many mistakes, and was easily defended a lot of the time. 6 out of 20 of his shots were blocked, 3 more turnovers. But, he was also our only player that imposed his will on what happened on the court and played with enough force to change the course of the game, and he deserves lots of credit for that.

That said, at least we stuck with him. Had anyone besides him played the way Tyler played, O'B would have benched him for the remainder of this game (from just about any point in the game) and he would not be seen for several more. Thankfully, apparently O'B must have an edict from Bird regarding Hansbrough playing.

We should just go 12 deep each game (or 11 if Dunleavy can't play much due to not actually getting his conditioning back properly, at best, or his knee not taking the stress as well as initially believed), reducing Ford and Watson's time so Price can play, and reducing Murphy's time so that McRoberts can get 10 or so minutes before garbage time, and giving Solo about 15 minutes with Roy getting the rest (if Roy can stay on the floor that long).

The problem with reducing Murphy's or TJ's time is that it will kill their stats and take them out of his rhythm and reduce their trade value, assuming that their "offense" is a drawing card for contenders looking for help off the bench. No one else can afford to take a chance on them at this point in my opinion.

Also, someone will have to begin structuring the offense like Hicks pointed out. That way our young guys will know where they are supposed to be as opposed to guessing and getting lost. That would require either hiring an assistant coach to run the offense, or a change in head coaches (Lawrence Frank would be a great addition here for this purpose, though I would prefer Byron Scott in the longer term).

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I thought the turnovers at the beginning of the game were due more to the Hawks' active hands than due to extremely poor play by the Pacers. Once we recovered from our surprise we handled it better, though still had our usual spate of turnovers.

I thought Murphy actually did a decent job of defending Horford, I also thought it was good to see him get more points going to the basket than usual.

I liked what Tyler was doing.

I think it is definitely time to start considering a coaching change, if nothing else because (as Hicks said) this team has to have more structure in its offense. I think we're a better team than we've looked so far, just not a good read-and-react team.

I hope Dun is just tired. As an uneducated observer he didn't look like he was playing on injured knees, he just looked slow and unconfident.

In fact, I think much of the rest of our problem is that the members of the team have pretty much decided they themselves can't shoot. While for some of them it's not necessarily a bad thing, for others there were a lot of passed-up shots that they should have made but they hesitated and suddenly faced a contested shot.

Finally, if Hibbert doesn't start figuring out what he's going to do with the ball within a second or two after getting it he'll never be able to be effective.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

As bad as the team has been these past few weeks (wow we were 5-2 at one point!!) we are not nearly as bad as most people make us out to be. In spite of the fact we are without our best player, we have lead and played well against many of the good teams in the league. Obviously JOB needs to be fired, that is a must. If you look at the standings, we are a good two week stretch from being in playoff contention. (both a gift and a curse) Obviously we need to either make a trade for some players that fit this team better.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed, and was offended by it.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    Me too.
    "I keep wondering the same thing. Last week they had the 4th worst record in the league, had an 11.9 percent chance of winning the lottery and were in line to land a franchise type player like Derrick Favors or DeMarcus Cousins. This week? They have a 1.7 percent chance of winning the lottery, have the 8th worst record and are in line to draft Cole Aldrich or Greg Monroe. Way to go Jim O'Brien. Rest Danny Granger the rest of the season (if it isn't too late) and give Josh McRoberts lots of minutes. That ought to do it." - Chad Ford on winning meaningless games

Way to go Jim, you may have just put our franchise back another 4+ years.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad8888 View Post
    But, he was also our only player that imposed his will on what happened on the court and played with enough force to change the course of the game, and he deserves lots of credit for that.
    please stop using the term "force" it makes me gag

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

We barely have a chance to win without Granger.

We have a slight chance to win without Granger because we have Dunleavy.

When Dunleavy is playing bad, we have no chance.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    From IndyCornrows:
    Loved Mike Wells' lead today in his game recap and story. Read it for yourself here at the IndyStar. Players are not listening to their coaches. It is so blatantly obvious that it's now the leading go-to excuse after each game. Here's coach Jim O'Brien after the game explaining his players' inability to understand the complexity of the Hawks "switching" on defense: "We prepared for that for two days and it never registered with our players. We spent Christmas Eve and (Saturday) morning talking about switching. We went over it in pregame, we talked about it in timeouts and then we go out and act like they weren't switching; so I don't have an answer for that." How many more times does JoB need to say that he doesn't understand this team before something happens to shake things up?

http://www.indycornrows.com/2009/12/27/1220732/ic-cold-links-dunleavy-struggling#storyjump

Whether you believe Jim O'Brien to be a good coach or not, is there anyone who still feels like JOB and his staff can right the ship? Right or wrong, it seems the players have quit on him (compare the quotes from O'Brien and Dunleavy in the linked IndyStar article) - and we certainly can't trade the team away (though I'm sure we've tried).
    I don't like JOS's comments at all.

In my opinion, if you spend that much time on a concept and the players don't get it, it's the coach's fault.

A classroom teacher might say "quiet down!" 25 times in an hour. If the kids don't quiet down, whose fault is it?

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    I don't think he is overreacting at all. Dun was 2-17 against Milwaukee this Monday. What are you going to say about that? Charlie Bell was a lock down defender too? Dunleavy has looked horrendus for a week now.

And enough with the excuses for Murphy's terrible plus minus. The major reason it is so bad is because he can't play anything resembling defense when he is on the court.

No doubt Hibbert should be in the same category as Murphy though. He shows signs offensively, but will ultimately stop no one. Easy with Dahntay though, he is making less than 3 million per year for 4 years. He has given us pretty good bang for the buck considering he was signed to be a complimentary player.

This opening statement is not going to lead to anything worthwhile. It is incendiary at best and needs not to be here.

Yes, Dun has struggled. Yes, ATL punked him. Yes, he looks tired leading to bad play. Do not mock me with the Bell comment.

***not necessary***

Murphy is not the problem with this team. I haven't posted here in a while because everytime I do come here all I here is irrational pissing and moaning about TJ and Murphy. Us fans always say stupid **** when our team struggles. I'm not ever going to be that guy. Sure, we could have better, but lets be real Hibbert is the worst player on this team. I'm waiting for either him, someone else or you to convince me otherwise. Dude is slow, weak, struggles to get off his painfully unorthodox shots, foul prone, gets beat by all NBA centers(*in fact they look like All-Stars when their done with him), has very little understanding of the game, and is clumsy. So, were in envy of Murphy's inflated salary. Doesn't make him our problem. I will denounce this team if we ever re-sign him or Hibbert for more money. Again, Hibbert, Rush, D.J. and Watson are the real bums and don't derserve much play. Especially, Rush and Hibbert.
    Last edited by Roaming Gnome; 12-27-2009 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    Yes Kemo. I'm not sure if D-Bone posted to back your assertions up, but it's true.

Today Hans and Head are the heroes. They may be goats tonight. However, the players reading this realize that fans are emotional and half of them are fickle.

As for me, I am not fickle. I rip on Troy and TJ even when he they play well...;<)
    What a smart, rational guy

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    I thought Murphy actually did a decent job of defending Horford, I also thought it was good to see him get more points going to the basket than usual.

Finally, if Hibbert doesn't start figuring out what he's going to do with the ball within a second or two after getting it he'll never be able to be effective.
    Yes and yes, but Murphy put up exactly what he's been averaging for 10 games.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by EmCeE View Post
    Us fans always say stupid **** when our team struggles. I'm not ever going to be that guy.
    Very next sentence...

Sure, we could have better, but lets be real Hibbert is the worst player on this team.

No, Hibbert is not the worst player on this team, and it's not even close. And this is coming from someone who was hoping we did not draft him.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Brad8888 View Post
    Hansbrough was overall better than he was bad. He made many mistakes, and was easily defended a lot of the time. 6 out of 20 of his shots were blocked
    Really? Wow, I didn't realize it was that much.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post

Whether you believe Jim O'Brien to be a good coach or not, is there anyone who still feels like JOB and his staff can right the ship? Right or wrong, it seems the players have quit on him (compare the quotes from O'Brien and Dunleavy in the linked IndyStar article) - and we certainly can't trade the team away (though I'm sure we've tried).
    Yes, this is it for me. Putting aside the question of good coach, bad coach, something in between (of course!) - if the team as a whole has tuned him out that's a really, really bad sign and it tells me that a lot about the coach too. If one, two, three guys tuning out the coach, we'll call them locker room cancers and call for their heads. When a coach has lost most of a team you have to strongly suspect the coach has played a big role in his own demise.

I'm glad it was Dunleavy that responded in the following way:

"It's a different story talking about it and playing against it. It's easy to talk about it and show it on film, but when you get out there and play against it, it's a little bit tough."

Because I suspect it'll be more respected around the board because he is a guy who is perceived as having a high basketball IQ, good work ethic, a good enough guy and all that. I don't know if we'll be any better with a coaching change this season and there is the $$ factor here but I am close to a point where I think it might be better for team chemistry/morale if JOB exits at the All-Star break. And since Bird gave the man this extension when it now appears that the reports of players being upset by it may have been true (which says to me that this losing the team thing has been brewing for awhile and Bird should have seen it), I'll be happy to have him step in and handle this mess for the rest of the season, for no additional salary.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    Since we all seem to be chiming in I suppose it may be important to add that I noticed it and was not offended at all.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gummy For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Really? Wow, I didn't realize it was that much.
    In reality it wasnt.. At least 3 of them were " blocked " before he even got the ball into shooting position.

I touched on that on the game thread.. On those occasions whoever was guarding him ( Smith I guess ) was able to reach around and get a hand on the ball as he was bringing it up. Had the ball low and was exposing it to the defender.

Quote Originally Posted by gummy View Post
    Since we all seem to be chiming in I suppose it may be important to add that I noticed it and was not offended at all.
    Me either. Who really cares. He could start the Hans-cult for all I care.

In other news, I'm happy that Tyler has been a productive asset for us, I really am. With the way Hibbert and Rush have been playing, it appears in the future that they'll be sitting on our bench (if they're lucky) while Tyler is in the starting lineup, which is tough since I had high expectations for Roy and Rush. Roy still has his nights and could develop into a starter player, but I'm convinced Rush is a 7th man at best. Tough.

What I really, really wish we had was a top-flight point guard to run this team. A great PG makes everyone so much better. We need to get a point guard and really good interior player from the combination of our pick and our expiring contract in the next couple of years.

I am beginning to wonder what the margin of error for this franchise is. With cities like St. Louis, Kansas City, and Seattle out there, is it realistic that the Pacers will move if they don't improve in the relative near future?

Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post

I am beginning to wonder what the margin of error for this franchise is. With cities like St. Louis, Kansas City, and Seattle out there, is it realistic that the Pacers will move if they don't improve in the relative near future?
    The thing is, it's not just us having financial problems. That's why I'm not too terribly concerned about a possible relocation. We have a gem of an arena that is still fairly new, and there are a handful of other teams in the league with very similar problems. If things turn around with the economy and the state of the NBA, and this team still has the same problems, then the concerns will become a little more real. For now though, it's not something that worries me a great deal.

My signature has read "Dunleavy is my Jesus Christ" for almost three years now. A classic example of how much drama the name Hansbrough seems to stir up.

That being said, I have no problem with it being removed if it "offends" somebody, however I do find it funny how easily offended people are.

P.S. I am offended by your signature which makes reference to crack cocaine, which is a serious drug that ruins many peoples lives.
    *removed* Just keep politics and religion completely out of it, please.

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jon Theodore For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Theodore View Post
    My signature has read "Dunleavy is my Jesus Christ" for almost three years now. A classic example of how much drama the name Hansbrough seems to stir up.

That being said, I have no problem with it being removed if it "offends" somebody, however I do find it funny how easily offended people are.

P.S. I am offended by your signature which makes reference to crack cocaine, which is a serious drug that ruins many peoples lives.
    I like your new sig I won't go into how hero worship deserves to be made fun of...

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    Why all of the Dunleavy hate all of a sudden? The guys proven he's a very good talent capable of putting up 20/5/5 on any given night. He's good enough to be a good starter on a 50+ win team.
    Considering he's never been on a roster that made the playoffs I'm kinda wondering how he's made the impression that he'd be a good starter on a 50+ win team.

How about I play the same thing. Rush has proven he can score 25+ points on 50-60% shooting on any given night. He's good enough to be a good starter on a 60 win team.

I mean why stop at 50 wins while we're speculating.

In reality it wasnt.. At least 3 of them were " blocked " before he even got the ball into shooting position.

I touched on that on the game thread.. On those occasions whoever was guarding him ( Smith I guess ) was able to reach around and get a hand on the ball as he was bringing it up. Had the ball low and was exposing it to the defender.
    Yes, that is much better. Here I thought he had a problem getting his shot off high enough to score, when in fact you're saying he really only has a problem protecting the ball at all.

Sheesh, the Tyler defenses stop at nothing.

Look, when Rush gets 6 shots blocked or stolen or tipped away it stinks. When it happens to Roy, same thing. When that happens to McBob for the first time you can pile on it all you want.

I just don't see the point in debating with people who justify getting 6 shots knocked away as if that's fine. It's not fine for anyone, including Tyler.

I pointed out this as a potential issue at the start of the year. It keeps happening. And people keep going with this "yeah, so". Just remember to say "yeah, so" when it happens to Ford, Rush, Dun, Troy, Head, DJones, McBob, Foster, Watson, whomever.

Use the same ruler to measure everyone. Right now it feels like people want Tyler to be great so much that they are overlooking a ton of issues to cherry pick the few good things.

I like Rush and Roy, but I don't do that with them. Or McBob. They've all had bad games and none of these 3 have done all that much to validate a future role with the team yet.

You don't punt on them, it's too soon, but you don't anoint them or Tyler yet either. If he doesn't learn to make FGs much more effectively then he's going to be hard pressed to remain in the NBA. 40% FG from PF doesn't last long. In fact find me a PF who played more than 4-5 years with a career FG% at the 40% level.

I'm finding a few; guys like Michael Ruffin and Anthony Avent. Has anyone said "Tyler looks to be the next Ruffin. Awesome"? Why not? And don't cite the rebounds because Ruffin especially held HIGHER per36 rebound numbers than Tyler has right now.

Tyler has one ace up his sleeve, one I can't deny and actually noted before the draft - he draws fouls. I didn't think he could continue that in the NBA but he has. And that's critical for him because without those he literally is Ruffin or Avent.

He keeps doing it and if this is still going on in FEB it's not going to be a fluke or teams just not having the book on him yet. Then it will have become a thing I count on him doing, something that in some odd way the team can rely on.

Also I do like that when he comes out to defend he is physical about it. I think other guys could be similar but I really only see he and DJones altering the tone of the game or cooling off a physical guy this way (well McBob does it as well and has this year, but that got him benched again thank god).

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    I don't like JOS's comments at all.

In my opinion, if you spend that much time on a concept and the players don't get it, it's the coach's fault.

A classroom teacher might say "quiet down!" 25 times in an hour. If the kids don't quiet down, whose fault is it?
    Agreed. And LG33 is right about the tone of Dunleavy's comments. That's downright confrontational between those 2 on the subject.

I know that after the fact it gets all spun back to "out of context" or something benign, but that's BS. Guys often speak the truth in the heat of the moment and then try to put it back in the box once it stirs up trouble.

BTW, I had this happen to me several times as a coach. I'd spend several practices addressing a pending problem that I knew we'd face. Then at gametime it all fell apart. Sure my very first reaction was "man, we worked on this so much" where I took pride in identifying the issue, but then I thought "why didn't it take, what do I need to do differently to prepare them better".

I mean I was the coach, and honestly what was on the line for me was winning more games and that required that I get the kids to do things the way I envisioned it. The post-loss blame game was worthless to me, I wasn't protecting a job or avoiding trouble, I just wanted to win the next game and to never lose the way I just had after a loss.

If players are causing issues, discuss it with Bird and bench them. If an assistant is doing something wrong, dump him. But if it's just the methods not reaching the players, work on the methods and stop griping so much.