Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pacers vs hawks postgame thread

Default Pacers vs hawks postgame thread

I had some unbelievable seats for this game, 5th row section 15. Let me say that Hansbrough was the only reason I didn't leave after the second half. Hansbrough and Head were the only players that decided to actually try to win this game, everybody else was going through the motions.

I was with my father who has not watched the Pacers at all this year, however he used to coach high school basketball and knows a thing or two about the game. Here are some quotes from my father, again..someone who has not followed this team AT ALL.

"Can Dunleavy jump."

"When did Troy Murphy get 19 points!"

"Hansbrough sure doesn't look like a rookie"

"Who drafted Brandon Rush:

"Ford can score the ball"

"Roy has a nice touch, is he injured? He should play more."

To me it was very interesting to watch the game with someone who was completely uneducated on this Pacers team. We both had a blast watching Hansbrough play. I kept screaming "Hansbrough is too much for the Hawks." He really was, not only could Josh Smith not even come close to guarding Hansbrough, Hans was the only guy who even remotely came close to altering any of Horfords shot attempts.

TJ Ford off the bench is a no brainer and it needs to stay that way, regardless.

Bottom line is Hawks are a much better team than us, I am just glad Hansbrough made the game worth the price of admission.
    Last edited by Jon Theodore; 12-26-2009 at 10:56 PM.
    *removed* Just keep politics and religion completely out of it, please.

Default Re: Pacers vs hawks postgame thread

the hawks are the worst matchup in the nba for us

I was at the game as well. I agree that Tyler played very well. Witnessed some very disconcerting things though. First, today I noticed several people screaming catcalls against the Pacers. We were in the lower level. Heard one guy shout that he would not have come if he hadn't received free tickets. Pretty much hollered non-stop, with nary a good thing to say even when the team fought back to within a few points. Was waiting for the first profanity so I could get security to have a chat with that fellow. Clearly this person should have stayed at home. But it was really disappointing to hear such negative sentiments yelled from several different pockets around me in Sections 18 and 20. This is the first time that I noticed such anti-team sentiment, at least at this level, at the game. Second, even though Foster was listed as "day to day," I did not see him on the bench in a suit or otherwise.

Step aside, King James BlueNGold's Avatar

Considering Hans played 31 minutes, we lost to the Hawks by 23 points in 17 minutes he was not on the floor. Your eyes were not deceiving you.

Interestingly, Murphy in 28 minutes...at least 11 minutes shared with Hans...had a negative 25 point outing against the Hawks. That is just amazingly bad.

Oh, and Dunleavy scoring 2 points in 24 minutes tells me his career is over. I hope I'm wrong about that.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I was there too, great seats, row 11 section 6. Forget the matchups, we just can't defend the middle vs anyone. I realize I am much lower on Hibbert than many on this board. His defense is beyond dreadful, and with the size of his feet I can't see it improving. He has made players such as Jason Thompson, Al Horford, and Andrew Bogut look like franchise players. Sure, he does have nice touch and is a decent offensive center, but we routinely allow average players to look amazing against us in the paint. The problem lies with the slow foot speed of Murphy and Hibbert.

Hansbrough was good. Rip him for 20 shots if you wish, but who else out there did you feel comfortable with shooting the ball? Tyler getting the ball at the elbow and either squaring up and shooting it, or creating space was our best offense tonight.

Ford had one of his best games of the season tonight. He was under control for the most part and created space for his shot. He wasn't chucking and played at a nice speed for the most part. Overall a pretty good performance in an otherwise terrible season for Ford.

Murphy had his typical above average offensive, beyond horrible defensive game. He is in the same boat with Hibbert IMO. Yes, Hibbert is younger, but I highly doubt he will ever be an above average center in this league with his hideous defense. Murhpy can not guard anyone either. It is sad to see the Pacers start getting some consecutive baskets, but not be able to cut into the league because they can't guard anyone. Oh well, this will not get better until the Murphleavy contracts expire or they are traded.

Dun needs to take some time off as well. I don't know his issues, but he is really hurting the team being out there. I think this is fairly obvious to those who have followed the team the past week or so. Head probably deserves to get a look on an everyday basis as does Price/McRoberts. These guys probably won't knock anyone's socks off, but they are young and it would be nice to take an inventory and see what we have. Plus, really how much worse could Price and McRoberts do than the guys in there now? I am not saying play them 30 minutes a night, but 5-10 depending on how they are doing makes sense, especially considering how bad the season is going.

Thats pretty much it from here.

Hansbrough is gonna be one hell of a player by next year.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Lance George For This Useful Post:

This was the worst game i've ever been to. This team looked like elementary kids facing an NBA team out there. The ball handling was that of a armless man out there on our side and the passing stunk up the entire building. I'm sorry but looking at this team, I feel as if this team would be lucky to play in the D-League. It's just one game, but it was pretty awful out there.

I'm starting to wonder if Dunleavy is playing hurt. He hasn't been getting back on defense and his passing looks lazy/tired, along with his jumpshot. He needs to take a few days off and rest. He doesn't even need to be practicing in my honest opinion. I don't think he's seriously hurt I just think he needs some major rest. If I was Dunleavy I couldn't wait 'til the all-star break.

Mood

I enjoyed Tyler tonight. The only thing he badly needs to figure out is his shooting %. If he figures out a way to shoot 45+% consistently, we've got something pretty nice on our hands. He can put up points, he can play D, he can get you boards, he battles the entire time, he's tough as anyone, and he has no hint of bad attitude about him. Easy guy to love playing for your team.

I was surprised to see Luther had 19 points. Didn't feel like it. Still, he's someone I generally like to see getting time.

I'm officially concerned about Mike Dunleavy.

I don't feel like discussing more individual players, but I will say this about our team: Having a motion offense is the right call. However, having it be read-and-react versus set plays is a mistake. It's painfully obvious this team needs a lot of structure. Too often the offense they try to run ends up doing more harm than good.

It's kind of the antithesis of last year: Last year we all talked about the defense not being the right fit for the players we were asking to run it. This year, the offense isn't the right fit for this group to handle effectively or consistently.

Don't get me wrong, some of these guys can handle it, but the rotations as a whole cannot.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It is somewhat sad when we're here getting excited about guys like Luther Head and Tyler Hansbrough. Sure, Luther can be a spark off the bench and Tyler could be a decent NBA player, but we're terribly devoid of talent. This is such a throwaway year. I'm so depressed about the Pacers.

Dunleavy, Ford, Murphy, don't let the door hit you in the *** on the way out.
    Already stoked for 2013-2014.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Why all of the Dunleavy hate all of a sudden? The guys proven he's a very good talent capable of putting up 20/5/5 on any given night. He's good enough to be a good starter on a 50+ win team.

Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why all of the Dunleavy hate all of a sudden? The guys proven he's a very good talent capable of putting up 20/5/5 on any given night. He's good enough to be a good starter on a 50+ win team.
    Dunleavy is a good player. Granger is the other good player. Those two carried this team to a half-way respectable record 2 years ago.

Yes, our record reflects our talent level...but I think the injuries to Dun and Granger now are why we are not closer to .400.

Yes, this team...even if 100% healthy...would struggle to be .500. When both Dun and Granger are injured, they are lucky to beat the worst teams in the league.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    just frustration after this game. he was pretty much the reason we got off to a slow start. (so many turnovers lead to easy baskets)

Give me 12 guys with the talent level, attitude, and how do I want to describe this, ferociousness of Tyler Hansbrough and I'll compete with anyone on a given night.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    Considering Hans played 31 minutes, we lost to the Hawks by 23 points in 17 minutes he was not on the floor. Your eyes were not deceiving you.

Interestingly, Murphy in 28 minutes...at least 11 minutes shared with Hans...had a negative 25 point outing against the Hawks. That is just amazingly bad.

Oh, and Dunleavy scoring 2 points in 24 minutes tells me his career is over. I hope I'm wrong about that.
    I think your over-reacting about Dun a bit. ATL forced him to create his own shot to perfection. We as Pacers fans know he gets his shots off the ball and they shut him down. I'm pretty sure ATL is pretty good.

+\- on Murphy isn't all his fault. Hawks announcers said it best when they said Murphy was the only bright spot in the entire starting line-up. Some of Murphy's +/- woes are due to the fact that he plays in several different rotations. The team is so bad he's bound to suffer night in an night out in that category. The last ten games Murphy has put up 19 pts. and 11.5 rebs. a game, so his clearly doing what he does best. Plus, Murphy is twice the defender than our loved but undeserving bum of a center Hibbert. Constantly I hear Murphy and Ford hate that is undeserving. Yeah, they are seriously flawed, but. Dahntay, Watson, Hibbert and Rush kill this team night in and night out. Offensively those guys just flat out stink, and Dahntay and Watson are over-rated as defenders. I will gladly debate my stance because we need to place blame where the true problems lie.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by EmCeE View Post
    I think your over-reacting about Dun a bit. ATL forced him to create his own shot to perfection. We as Pacers fans know he gets his shots off the ball and they shut him down. I'm pretty sure ATL is pretty good.

+\- on Murphy isn't all his fault. Hawks announcers said it best when they said Murphy was the only bright spot in the entire starting line-up. Some of Murphy's +/- woes are due to the fact that he plays in several different rotations. The team is so bad he's bound to suffer night in an night out in that category. The last ten games Murphy has put up 19 pts. and 11.5 rebs. a game, so his clearly doing what he does best. Plus, Murphy is twice the defender than our loved but undeserving bum of a center Hibbert. Constantly I hear Murphy and Ford hate that is undeserving. Yeah, they are seriously flawed, but. Dahntay, Watson, Hibbert and Rush kill this team night in and night out. Offensively those guys just flat out stink, and Dahntay and Watson are over-rated as defenders. I will gladly debate my stance because we need to place blame where the true problems lie.
    I don't think he is overreacting at all. Dun was 2-17 against Milwaukee this Monday. What are you going to say about that? Charlie Bell was a lock down defender too? Dunleavy has looked horrendus for a week now.

And enough with the excuses for Murphy's terrible plus minus. The major reason it is so bad is because he can't play anything resembling defense when he is on the court.

No doubt Hibbert should be in the same category as Murphy though. He shows signs offensively, but will ultimately stop no one. Easy with Dahntay though, he is making less than 3 million per year for 4 years. He has given us pretty good bang for the buck considering he was signed to be a complimentary player.

It just makes me sad.

As it stands, we have the 5th worst record in the league. If this is the teams true colors I almost hope we don't get hot and move back into the 10 range. Being 5th in the lottery is a good damn chance at a top 3 pick.

*sigh* ....

-- Steve --

Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post
    It is somewhat sad when we're here getting excited about guys like Luther Head and Tyler Hansbrough. Sure, Luther can be a spark off the bench and Tyler could be a decent NBA player, but we're terribly devoid of talent. This is such a throwaway year. I'm so depressed about the Pacers.
    I don't quite understand how getting excited about your first round pick scoring 19 points and grabbing 11 boards is sad.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Disclaimer: I am not singling any one person out..But as the saying goes.... "If the shoe fits......."

I am Just making an observation, that has bugged me for awhile now....

That being said...

I love this forum, and enjoy alot of the member's opinions and insights here...

BUT

I swear... this forum has some of the most fickle fans I have EVER seen in my entire life...

It's one thing to rant about a player's performance or lackthereof .. but sometimes It just makes me shake my head in disgust at some of the harsh words I read on here..

I am so sick and tired of every time we are playing real well, people are "on their jock" so to speak.. then when they are playing poorly , those same players automatically turn into useless bums and/or "thugs" whom should be traded at first opportunity...

It is very disheartening .. I would be ASHAMED if some of our players actually came here and read some of the tripe I see being posted ...

It's no wonder sometimes they look like they are just "going through the motions"..
    With "fans" like that , who needs enemies ..??
    Last edited by Kemo; 12-27-2009 at 05:09 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kemo For This Useful Post:

Troy Murphy plays better defense than Hibbert except for the shot blocking. Hibbert has zero footspeed, lateral movement, jumping ability, rebounding, strength to push guys out of the post.

Murphy is also a terrible defender, but not as bad as Hibbert. Maybe the shotblocking somehow makes them equally awful. At least Murphy rebounds. At Roy's age he has time to improve, but he's still looking like a solid career back up to me. I like the attitude he normally displays.

I'm looking at another L tonight. Any projection on Granger? Mid-January should allow us to build a nice head start on a top 5 draft pick.

I like Hansbrough and Head. Give them each 30 minutes a game as far as I'm concerned. At least they play like they care. This is Roy's saving grace currently-his enthusiasm.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

26. The Following User Says Thank You to D-BONE For This Useful Post:

Yes Kemo. I'm not sure if D-Bone posted to back your assertions up, but it's true.

Today Hans and Head are the heroes. They may be goats tonight. However, the players reading this realize that fans are emotional and half of them are fickle.

As for me, I am not fickle. I rip on Troy and TJ even when he they play well...;<)

28. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

I posted my opinion, which is outside of a few guys, I can't stand the combination of players we've amassed. Even with Granger, it's downright nauseating.

Head and Hans are probably the only two guys I've been consistently pleased with in the time they've gotten throughout the season. Price has been acceptable in the limited time he's gotten and I'd like to see him more. Go back and look at my posts the last month. You'll see me asking for more PT for LH and being overall pleased with TH's early returns. This is in no way precipitated by the last game.

You'll also see that since last year I've remained skeptical of Roy's long-term prospects as a viable starting quality NBA C. Yes, he has time to develop. No he's not yet shown some essential traits you'd want out of a C-physical toughness, rebounding, strength, not beind intimidated at 7-2 finishing around the rim against other bigs, etc.

There are two immediate positives this year. One is we should be on the way to a high draft pick. We obviously need as much young talent acquisition as possible. Second, hopefully continued losing will result in JOB's departure. Is he a good coach in the big picture? Maybe. I'd be more inclined to use a descriptor like mediocre. However, he's not going to be a good fit to revamp/rebuild this team. By the time we'll even get around to seriously competing, his schtick will have easily reached its shelf life.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

Quote Originally Posted by Kemo View Post
    Disclaimer: I am not singling any one person out..But as the saying goes.... "If the shoe fits......."

I am Just making an observation, that has bugged me for awhile now....

That being said...

I love this forum, and enjoy alot of the member's opinions and insights here...

BUT

I swear... this forum has some of the most fickle fans I have EVER seen in my entire life...

It's one thing to rant about a player's performance or lackthereof .. but sometimes It just makes me shake my head in disgust at some of the harsh words I read on here..

I am so sick and tired of every time we are playing real well, people are "on their jock" so to speak.. then when they are playing poorly , those same players automatically turn into useless bums and/or "thugs" whom should be traded at first opportunity...

It is very disheartening .. I would be ASHAMED if some of our players actually came here and read some of the tripe I see being posted ...

It's no wonder sometimes they look like they are just "going through the motions"..
    With "fans" like that , who needs enemies ..??
    Kemo I hope you can get used to it because that is how it is in the forum. I will say this Dun is hurt or tired. He is not a guy that averages 5 pts a game so that should answer that question. Murphy is and has always been a terrible fit for this team. He needs to be a 6th man on another team. Hibbert is feast or famine. Again I would put him in the Erik Dampier category. Some nights he is on some he looks terrible. Ford is quick but you get a powerful PG on him he folds. Just see the same stuff everynight.

Fans tend to overreact to everything. A player that has a good game is the next Jordan, a player that has a bad one is the next - well, take your pick of busts.

They care about the team, which is good. It would be worse if nobody cared enough to post.

Me? I've ridden the Pacers roller coaster enough to understand the wisdom of Mark Jackson: Don't get too high after a win, don't get too low after a loss.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doug For This Useful Post:

From IndyCornrows:
    Loved Mike Wells' lead today in his game recap and story. Read it for yourself here at the IndyStar. Players are not listening to their coaches. It is so blatantly obvious that it's now the leading go-to excuse after each game. Here's coach Jim O'Brien after the game explaining his players' inability to understand the complexity of the Hawks "switching" on defense: "We prepared for that for two days and it never registered with our players. We spent Christmas Eve and (Saturday) morning talking about switching. We went over it in pregame, we talked about it in timeouts and then we go out and act like they weren't switching; so I don't have an answer for that." How many more times does JoB need to say that he doesn't understand this team before something happens to shake things up?

http://www.indycornrows.com/2009/12/27/1220732/ic-cold-links-dunleavy-struggling#storyjump

Whether you believe Jim O'Brien to be a good coach or not, is there anyone who still feels like JOB and his staff can right the ship? Right or wrong, it seems the players have quit on him (compare the quotes from O'Brien and Dunleavy in the linked IndyStar article) - and we certainly can't trade the team away (though I'm sure we've tried).
    Last edited by LoneGranger33; 12-27-2009 at 11:05 AM.