Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: McGrady leaves Rockets

Default Re: McGrady leaves Rockets

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You just torpedoed your own argument.
    How? It's 2010, why would the Rockets care where they sell their jerseys? They have the best access of anyone to 1 billion potential NBA fans, and Yao and TMac are their two most recognizable players in that market.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

TMac got all those votes from the chinese when he was inactive. Keeping him inactive hurts nothing. It's a silly argument.

They just know that they see his name a lot with Yao's replace him with Trevor Ariza and Ariza will be getting those same votes in 1-2 years. %98 of them probably don't even know what TMac looks like.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

I could care less about T-Mac... unless the Rockets are willing to trade him for Murphy and Ford. If the Rockets are willing, then welcome T-Mac with your 23 mil expiring otherwise it's really a moot issue to me.

TMac got all those votes from the chinese when he was inactive. Keeping him inactive hurts nothing. It's a silly argument.
    Now I'm confused what we're even arguing about. So you're saying that because benching him hasn't hurt his value in China, it's not actually ballsy to bench him?

If that's the case, I think that only works up to a point. Not playing hasn't hurt his value in China, but it has hurt his value in the States. As you can see from this board, there are plenty of Americans who still remember the TMac of old and would buy his shoes if he regained half of his old form, even if it was at the expense of the team. So while TMacs name-brand is still powerful, particularly in China, it could be much more effective if he played, obviously. Not to mention, TMac has to be happy enough with your team to do all the marketing stuff you need him to do, like travel to Beijing or cut commercials in Rocket jerseys. So my argument is that benching TMac is in the long-term basketball interests of the team at the expense of the short-term financial interests, which is ballsy.

They just know that they see his name a lot with Yao's replace him with Trevor Ariza and Ariza will be getting those same votes in 1-2 years. %98 of them probably don't even know what TMac looks like.
    This, meanwhile, is a good argument. A couple of Rockets beside TMac got surprisingly high All-Star voting totals, including Ariza, Scola, and Brooks. But building them up into marketable figures in China will take some time, I don't think Ariza will be able to move as many shoes as TMac for a long time to come.

OK, and now I gotta get on with the rest of my life, as always it's been a pleasure Kstat.

If they believe the team will be better without him this year, revenue sales from making the playoffs will far outweigh some extra jerseys they might sell to the chinese, who probably have no idea TMac isn't playing.

With Yao out, Rockets games likely arent even seen in China anymore.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

I feel bad for T-Mac here. I've usually been indifferent to him but in this case he just wants to play and can't. Not because he isn't good enough to be on an NBA court, and not because he did anything to ask for it (like Tinsley or Marbury) but just because they believe he will mess up their "chemistry".

They won 4 games and lost 2 in the 6 games he played so far this year. The only losses coming to Denver and Orlando. Very good teams. They also beat a very good Dallas team and won all the games they were supposed to win in that time.

I'm not seeing how coming off the bench for 10 minutes a game killed their chemistry at all.

-- Steve --

It really didn't, but the problem is if they werent willing to increase his payload, and treat him like a 9th man, it was not going to do the team much good, and every string of losses, people were just going to start questioning why TMac wasn't playing more.

I agree with the final decision. If you're not going to use him, then don't use him at all.

I do get some of that, but if he's playing even just 10 minutes a game you can possibly move him easier. Teams seeing he can still play would make him more than just an expiring. It would make teams think maybe they can resign him for cheaper for a couple years with confidence that he's still a player.

-- Steve --

Everybody knows he's physically capable of playing at least a little basketball right now. Even if they didn't, his contract makes it virtually impossible to trade him for basketball-related reasons. The only way he's going to make it on to another roster is if Houston buys him out.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

While Houston is only doing whats best for the franchise, TMac should do whats best for TMac as well.
    The fact that this isn't the same thing is exactly why TMac is in the wrong.

Plus his comments are brilliant BS. He goes on about understanding what's best for the team and not wanting to rock the boat or be confrontational. Yes TMac, it's pretty clear you do understand and see it exactly that way.

What's next, the Detroit bomber says that bombs on planes are dangerous and he's not trying to be a difficult passenger or anything like that.

comparing Tracy McGrady to a terrorist is not cool ,satire or not.

They're still wanting to move him, right?

What exactly are they looking for?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

They simply don't want to play him. TMac playing 10 minutes a game would be a distraction no matter what he says, because the first sign of trouble, the media would be all over Adelman asking why TMac isnt starting.

The best thing for both parties is for TMac to take a leave of absence, until he either gets traded or bought out.

If he's healthy again, and he's no longer in their plans, they owe it to him and the franchise to buy him out and make a clean break.

comparing Tracy McGrady to a terrorist is not cool ,satire or not.
    He loosely compared the situations, he didn't compare the people.

The best thing for both parties is for TMac to take a leave of absence, until he either gets traded or bought out.
    What would they trade him for?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

they really can't. The best they can hope for is another expiring deal that wont draw as much attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    What would they trade him for?
    Tracy for TJ and Murphy

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    Tracy for TJ and Murphy
    Even that wouldn't get it done, TMac makes too much.
    If a trade were possible I think it would have to be something like 4 players for 3, with Houston giving up 2 young players which of course they wouldn't want to do.
    My bet would be on New York pulling something off since Houston has said they'd be willing to take back some longer term contracts.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    Even that wouldn't get it done, TMac makes too much.
    If a trade were possible I think it would have to be something like 4 players for 3, with Houston giving up 2 young players which of course they wouldn't want to do.
    My bet would be on New York pulling something off since Houston has said they'd be willing to take back some longer term contracts.
    Actually I'm pretty sure Diener, Ford, and Murphy for Tracy works.

Tracy's got an expiring contract..it would force JOB to play AJ and McRoberts...how nice would that be..

Banned

McGrady for TJ and Murphy works.

According to ESPN's Trade Machine anyway.

Too bad, they'd never take those bums.

Sports Logo

I think any trade involving Murphy or Ford is just wishful thinking on our part.

Houston's not stupid. They have no need for either of them. If I'm Morey I just let Mac expire.

Quote Originally Posted by WetBob View Post
    McGrady for TJ and Murphy works.

According to ESPN's Trade Machine anyway.

Too bad, they'd never take those bums.
    I don't think anyone will give them much for McGrady. I actually think they might do that. Murphy is probably viewed as a good bench player...and someone who could spread the floor for Yao Ming on occasion.

It's not that Murph is a terrible player, it's just that he better not be your starting PF expected to defend the paint against starting calibre NBA PF's.

TJ, however, is a player I would only pick before someone like Stephon Marbury.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    I don't think anyone will give them much for McGrady. I actually think they might do that. Murphy is probably viewed as a good bench player...and someone who could spread the floor for Yao Ming on occasion.

It's not that Murph is a terrible player, it's just that he better not be your starting PF expected to defend the paint against starting calibre NBA PF's.

TJ, however, is a player I would only pick before someone like Stephon Marbury.
    I think Murphy could be a valuable bench player for a team. There is always a place for shooters. It's just, in this situation, it'd be better if we could get rid of him.

TJ...so long as, once again...TJ can take on the role of backup point...if a team needs scoring..he's not a bad guy to have. He's not a good leader...or really....good point guard..but he can score. Once again, acceptable role player.

What would make Houston bite though, is more..the ego..the "I'm not just going to Eat Tracy's contract" ..and of course..them REALLY wanting to get rid of Tracy.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kuq_e_Zi91 View Post
    I think any trade involving Murphy or Ford is just wishful thinking on our part.

Houston's not stupid. They have no need for either of them. If I'm Morey I just let Mac expire.
    My thinking exactly, just throwing out the fact that it works.