Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: McGrady leaves Rockets

Default McGrady leaves Rockets

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4772672
    Tracy McGrady left the Houston Rockets and returned home Saturday after being told by coach Rick Adelman that despite McGrady's wishes, his playing time would not increase.
    Glad to see a coach that has the stones to stand up to a player trying to run the team.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

Default Re: McGrady leaves Rockets

If they trade McGrady, it's likely to be just a salary dump for the other team. McGrady may be in the same state of mind as Iverson in that he still views himself as an all star while those days are far behind him. I wonder what kind of offer TMac will get during the offseason? I'd think a lot of teams would love to have him as a spark off the bench but may be afraid of his willingness to accept that roll. I can't see him getting an offer close to the MLE, maybe 3-4 mil per season for a 2 year deal.
    What are some thoughts on this?
    Am I off on his value?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4772672 Glad to see a coach that has the stones to stand up to a player trying to run the team.
    What the hell does that have to do with it?

He's no longer right for them, they're no longer right for him, it was a good decision. Theyre was no bullying involved on TMac's part.

I'm impressed TMac has been able to deal with management trying to keep him inactive when he was healthy enough to play.

TMac supposedly is healthier than he's been in half a decade. I'd like to see what he could do if given a second chance.
    Last edited by Kstat; 12-26-2009 at 09:08 PM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Has there been any trade chatter for him at all?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    TMac supposedly is healthier than he's been in half a decade. I'd like to see what he could do if given a second chance.
    Tmac is trying to hurry back in order to increase his value before contract negotiations. Adelman is stonewalling him because it's in the best interests of the team:

1) for Tmac to be healthy next year, not this year (we've seen too many players "in the best shape of their lives" just re-injure themselves), and

2) for his value for the upcoming contract negotiations to be as low as possible (as a result of limiting his minutes and letting health questions linger).

It may not to noble, but the point still stands, a coach is standing up to an All-Star level ego for the better interest of the team, which is something that rarely happens in the NBA.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Pardon my ignorance, but I have not seen him play at all this season (I have not watched tv much, better yet watch basketball)

Is T-mac back to his old self? Or at least close to his old self?

Has there been any talk of him being moved? Maybe to the Cavs?

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Has there been any trade chatter for him at all?
    Possibly to the Knicks I've heard, but the Rockets don't want Jared Jeffries and that's someone the Knicks are hoping to trade.

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    Adelman is stonewalling him because it's in the best interests of the team:

1) for Tmac to be healthy next year, not this year (we've seen too many players "in the best shape of their lives" just re-injure themselves), and

2) for his value for the upcoming contract negotiations to be as low as possible (as a result of limiting his minutes and letting health questions linger).
    Ok, explain the logic to me. The dude's a free agent and he's not, under any circumstances, going to re-sign with the Rockets. So why do either of these things matter?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

It may not to noble, but the point still stands, a coach is standing up to an All-Star level ego for the better interest of the team, which is something that rarely happens in the NBA.
    Oh yeah, it takes a lot of balls for Adelman to stand up to TMac, who has zero pull anymore.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Oh yeah, it takes a lot of balls for Adelman to stand up to TMac, who has zero pull anymore.
    i agree kstat. adelman doesnt have much to lose anyway.

before everybody is so quick to praise adelman...is that really in the best interest of their team?
    "To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine

Mood

What the hell does that have to do with it?

He's no longer right for them, they're no longer right for him, it was a good decision. Theyre was no bullying involved on TMac's part.

I'm impressed TMac has been able to deal with management trying to keep him inactive when he was healthy enough to play.

Where do you get your information about Tmac's health and Rockets management? Seems a little far fetched.

Not really. He's revamped his workout habits over the summer, and hired a new trainer that's allegedly discovered how to reduce the stress on his leg (he has one leg longer than the other, which is responsible for so many leg injuries).

Medically, he's been cleared to play for a while now, and management has been very reluctant to activate him, because adelman doesnt want him taking minutes away from ariza and battier.

While Houston is only doing whats best for the franchise, TMac should do whats best for TMac as well. Both parties are right for what they did.

so i guess he is just going home early and will stay there for a while or something? this whole thing sounds strange. if anything, he is going to be the highest paid couch potato in history.
    besides that- i have no interest in him as anything other than expiring contract.
    i am in the camp that his body is pretty much worn out and his days of all star glory are behind him. perhaps an occasional game where he looks pretty tough but something like a back or knee problem will pop up before long. i think he is running on fumes now.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I really think Kstat is right, but a link would help clarify. On either parts.

Mood

Shouldn't they agree to cut him so he can move on now instead of missing out on this season?

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Shouldn't they agree to cut him so he can move on now instead of missing out on this season?
    Not if they could get some value for him in the trade market. He is making 23 million this year though, so thats a lot of money to pay a guy to stay home.

Mood

I think it's more likely than not (by a large margin) his contract expires in Houston. May as well cut him loose.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4772672 Glad to see a coach that has the stones to stand up to a player trying to run the team.

Yeah hardly T-Mac is a liability at this point if he were a Kobe or LeBron he wouldn't have done anything.

I can't believe an Indiana Pacers message board would buy the "best shape of his life" spiel from any player, after everything we went through with JO. Seriously? I'll believe it when I see it. TMac has tried to recover from injuries before, you can pull up half a dozen articles from years past claiming that this was the season he would put his issues behind him. The guy's had injuries to his back and his knees. I looked up the word chronic in the dictionary today - it had a picture of a back and a knee.

And Adelman standing up to TMac is ballsy. Look at who that team has on the floor right now. Shane Battier. Chase Budinger. Carl Landry. Who in the world would pay to watch those guys shoot fifteen footers for 48 minutes? With Yao out, TMac is the only name-brand guy on the roster, the only thing putting butts in the seats in the middle of the Great Recession. It's not ballsy to bench an ex-superstar who can still move sneakers a year in favor of a bunch of role players whose adjusted +/-'s are bigger than their verticals? It's not ballsy to risk alienating a guy who is so popular in China that he's gonna be an All-Star despite the fact that he has yet to suit up once?

The Rockets are putting the basketball ahead of the product. They're thinking long term, that a good Rockets team is worth more to them than the immediate benefit of putting a name-brand on the floor. I don't think they're banking on keeping TMac, but I'm sure they wouldn't mind bringing him back at a decent price. And in terms of long-term health and wealth, he's worth more to them on the bench than on the floor. Why else would they be actively benching him - out of spite?

22. The Following User Says Thank You to bulldog For This Useful Post:

ironic, because JO IS in great shape right now...

also, TMac hasnt been a "brand name" in years. Please.

All I have to add to this thread , is that I honestly believe TMAC is going to make alot of people , including the Rockets , wish they didn't discount him so easily...

Wherever he ends up, he is gonna be an impact player, and is gonna put ALOT of butts in arena seats... Mark My Words..

He may not be the same elite player he was a few years ago, but I think he will still be very, very good .

I've been wrong before, there's no denying that... But I think I am right about this... Only time will tell though...

I have a feeling that the Knicks WILL indeed end up getting him , and it will be the best move they have made in a long long time..
    Last edited by Kemo; 12-27-2009 at 03:29 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

While Houston is only doing whats best for the franchise, TMac should do whats best for TMac as well. Both parties are right for what they did.
    Asking to leave the team on a road trip so he can be home for his son's b-day is 'right' ??

Sounds a bit stand-offish and/or selfish to me.

ironic, because JO IS in great shape right now...

also, TMac hasnt been a "brand name" in years. Please.
    TMac has enough All-Star votes to be a starter. They may be mostly coming from China, but the Chinese didn't put Chase Budinger in the starting lineup. They put TMac. Because they know his name. And his brand.

And we'll see what happens with JO. You've scoffed at the best shape of his life stuff in the past as well, don't be glib just to win the argument. Even if JO manages to put together an 82-game season it won't change the best-shape of his life nonsense in the past.

TMac has enough All-Star votes to be a starter. They may be mostly coming from China, but the Chinese didn't put Chase Budinger in the starting lineup. They put TMac. Because they know his name. And his brand.
    You just torpedoed your own argument.

Asking to leave the team on a road trip so he can be home for his son's b-day is 'right' ??

Sounds a bit stand-offish and/or selfish to me.
    If he's no longer in their plans, I see zero problem with him not traveling with them.